The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 October 2017, 08:47 PM   #1
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
School me on this GP

I recently received this Girard Perregaux. It's definitely gonna need service but what can you guys tell me about it? My wife is kinda liking it which is nice. Is it gonna be worth having serviced?

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:12 AM   #2
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
what can you guys tell me about it? My wife is kinda liking it which is nice. Is it gonna be worth having serviced?
Ooopppsss...
I have a peculiar habit of gate crashing a party in a male dominated watch forum and making my presence felt, sometimes stirring up controversies , other times making a complete Ass of myself!

Will that be all Sir ? I have the answers to your questions BUT this time I thought I should be respectful and allow the Vintage Experts and everyone else to start the discussions and present their opinions first. I'll just wait for my turn at the back of the line.

p/s : That's an undecorated GP ladies Art Deco Cocktail dress watch by the way....
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:15 AM   #3
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Ooopppsss...
I have a peculiar habit of gate crashing a party in a male dominated watch forum and making my presence felt, sometimes stirring up controversies , other times making a complete Ass of myself!

Will that be all Sir ? I have the answers to your questions BUT this time I thought I should be respectful and allow the Vintage Experts and everyone else to start the discussion and present their opinions first. I'll just wait for my turn at the back of the line.

p/s : That's a GP ladies Art Deco Cocktail dress watch by the way....
No male chauvinism here, please fire away!

Old 15 October 2017, 06:53 AM   #4
No.15
"TRF" Member

"you guys" is gender neutral where I come from. Where I live now they use "y'all" or "all y'all".

Nice watch, just got my wife an art deco watch as well it uses a ribbon as a watch band and is a nice all silver case..

Edit to add. That GP logo is similar to the one I had on a GP watch from the 1950's

Also looks like GP Caliber 79
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...d-Perregaux_79

Movement seems to date it in the 60's
No.15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 07:34 AM   #5
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Yeah I completely didn't mean to offend anyone with "guys" I guess it's "you peoples" from now on? I don't understand the whole gender neutral movement thing nor does my, wife, mother, sister, or 99% of my female, homosexual, heterosexual, and male friend base. Clearly the watch companies don't either as, they make ladies and men's watches.

Old 15 October 2017, 08:04 AM   #6
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Very sorry to hear you feel that way. From your posts I've seen, you've always been full of expert knowledge.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 08:08 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Now that we have that out of the way ... Let's hear about the watch
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:03 AM   #8
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Financially, I would say it is not worth servicing.
My experience has been that it is next to impossible to sell these smaller 50's lady watches.
Servicing would cost more than what the watch would retail for.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 10:04 AM   #9
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Financially, I would say it is not worth servicing.
My experience has been that it is next to impossible to sell these smaller 50's lady watches.
Servicing would cost more than what the watch would retail for.
yeah there ain't huge demand for these tiny pieces these days no idea if GP name brings much cachet otherwise cheap fun to muck about with, nothing much to lose.

If case is plated steel then scrap value is negligible.

These original movements will usually run ok unless they've suffering water damage; Gutfeel suggests there's probably many "compatible" movements that can be swapped in whenever original fails.

Don't get expectations too high on timekeeping, these days +/- 2-5mins/day I'd call good enough to go. Ladies might wear it once a month, gets wound & reset each morning.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:21 PM   #10
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Thanks FOLKS. I am not too worried about keeping perfect time, as you FOLKS pointed out, it's a wear for a night kind of watch. As it sits it runs if you pull out the crown and then apply slight pressure to push back in. All that said, service shouldn't be too bad on it I wouldn't think assuming I can find someone willing.

On that note, I have heard several times about a great watchmaker who retired to Franklin/Highlands/Cashiers NC area. From what I hear he does a bit of work still when he wants. It would be great to know who/wear he is. Anyone got any clues?

Old 15 October 2017, 04:51 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Ever considered putting up an ad on Craigslist/Gumtree/Airtasker for "watch fixer wanted"?

Always good to find someone local for simple jobs, who knows you might even discover one of your neighbours does it for a hobby afterhours.

Assuming it doesn't owe you too much
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 11:14 PM   #12
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Ever considered putting up an ad on Craigslist/Gumtree/Airtasker for "watch fixer wanted"?

Always good to find someone local for simple jobs, who knows you might even discover one of your neighbours does it for a hobby afterhours.

Assuming it doesn't owe you too much
Yeah we have one local guy (I live in a VERY rural area,) and I refuse to use him. He has told me that there is NO need for factory parts accounts as Rolex, PP, ALS, AP, Omega, Zenith, Breitling, JLC, etc. all buy parts from swatch and just stick their names on it. I get that Tudor, omega, and Breitling do/have used or are swatch brands but to tell me that factory parts are a waste of money when he can buy "aftermarket" parts and keep repair costs down and that they are the same anyway, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.