The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 October 2017, 12:44 AM   #1
smg8
Banned

Can ROO bezel be repaired?

Hi all,

This may seem a stupid question, but I am just getting into the ROO having not paid much attention to them before. Tastes change etc and I can't believe I haven't been into these until now! Just discovering the range and honing in on what one I want to buy (will rotate with GMT Master II).

The one thing that comes up in every thread on these is how easy the bezel is to scratch due to the size. I used to own a PAM 312 and caught it from time to time (generally I am very careful and work at a desk, but the bulk of it takes you by surprise sometimes). I also used to own an AP 15300 and know that picked up scratches pretty easily.

Anyway, my question is, is scratching/damaging the bezel terminal/permanent? Or is it just a case of the watch needing a light polish every couple of years or so? My budget probably restrains me to considering the 42mm and it would be the steel bezel. Is scratching it that bad, or is it just a minor annoyance and when you get it back after a service it's good as new?
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:46 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i wouldn't worry about a SS bezel as it can be polished at service and once it gets too polished it can be replaced. Im 100% in favor of polishing the bezel at every service. The case, not so much as i would never want to replace that due to too many polishes. All of that assumes that you could request just the bezel done and nothing else. I haven't tried it yet so i don't know for sure.

My diver bezel looked almost new after a year and a half and i was not overly careful with it. It does scratch, but if you have good wrist awareness its not an issue.

Which 42's are you interested in? Selfridges had the grey, black, new safari, the blue Bucherer edition & old blue ROO chronos in stock today as well as the black diver. The safari looks way better in real life than pics as it was the first time i have seen it. AD's in London just all seemed to get deliveries so now is a good time to look at least, that is if you are located close.

They also had the 44 Ti in stock as well. The pricing is reasonably close to a 42mm ROO chronograph so it is worth a look. It has a ceramic bezel and is a better all around watch than any 42mm chronograph IMO and i would say a better value.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:11 AM   #3
CanPam
"TRF" Member

Don't worry. A SS bezel could be polished completely about 5 times at the AP service. But please never let it polish outside the official AP Service. In 99% of the cases the difference is obvious for somebody who knows about AP watches...
Old 15 October 2017, 01:15 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanPam View Post
Don't worry. A SS bezel could be polished completely about 5 times at the AP service. But please never let it polish outside the official AP Service. In 99% of the cases the difference is obvious for somebody who knows about AP watches...
agreed on AP only servicing

OP...This guy would know about SS bezel durability. Look at this old one. Still looks new

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=6345
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:14 AM   #5
smg8
Banned

Thanks chaps, good to know. And good to know it can just be replaced in a worst case scenario. Any idea on cost of this at all?

I am in Manchester, and we have no AD up here - sounds like Selfridges have a great selection!

I have managed to try on the Safari and Vampire at a local independent, both nice but I went into the process thinking the Navy (the older model, white dial with blue sub dials). It fitted in with my starting budget at around the £12k mark for a pre owned.

However......

A) I need to see the navy in person still, but I have started to think that as nice as it would look wearing certain clothes, it may lack a little versatility

and

B) The elephant has started to really catch my eye. I like the clear caseback in particular but also feel it would be more versatile

So the budget is creeping up.....a pre owned elephant is £15 750 but then for £16 950 you can get a brand new one and so it continues.....

Won't be long until the 44 is in price range! Also at that price point starting to think about one of the limited edition ROC's too;

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/audem...d004ca-01.html

The decision making is part of the fun!
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:21 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Rockefellers is a good place to try on the footballers hand me downs, ha! Elephant is my fave of the new 42s. I'd buy it preowned as I think you will move up to the 44s pretty soon if you stay here. As the guys say you can have AP polish the bezel every year or two if you are OCD about them, and you can have 4/5 polishes maintaining its integrity. A new bezel would run to around 2-3K I would guess but really should not be necessary.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote