The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

Liquid Metal on offer

Hey guys...

Really confused. Been offered a BNIB LMPO. I have a feeling I will flip it - eventually. Should I go for it given that its at full retail?
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Omega's drop in value significantly (regardless of model) & that's off the usual discount from retail. That fact & the info that you said you'll probably flip it seems like a no-brainer to me...I absolutely would not buy if I were you unless you don't mind losing at least a couple of grand in the process. Good luck.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 11:50 AM   #3
WJGESQ
Banned

Why pay retail? I think this forum offers good purchase option for many models.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 01:18 PM   #4
drgleeds37
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,PAM,etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Why pay retail? I think this forum offers good purchase option for many models.
Because it's a rare model that often sells for retail or very close on the used market.

-Daniel
drgleeds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2011, 01:20 PM   #5
drgleeds37
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,PAM,etc..
My honest opinion would be to not buy it. The liquid metal was very unique and sought after when Omega didn't offer ceramic bezels and liquid metal as options on other models with significantly better movements than the PO LM has. It may one day gain value but for now I think they will begin dropping. I know that I personally would much rather have the new black ceramic bezel version with the 8500 than the old PO LM...

-Daniel
drgleeds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 12:46 AM   #6
jmsrolls
Banned

The Liquidmetal LE is unique for several reasons. Of course, it is limited to 1948 pieces and production has been completed meaning that there are few remaining in the pipeline.

And even with the introduction of the the new 2011 Planet Oceans, it will be the only model in stainless steel with Liquidmetal technology and ceramic dial.

The new POs will also have thicker cases to accommodate the 8500 movement. I have owned seven cal 2500 watches and three cal 8500. Acknowledging that the 8500 is more technologically advanced, I found the bulk of the 8500 watches to not be as comfortable as the older models.

Bottom line, the new models do not tempt me in the least. I much prefer my LM LE.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 12:55 AM   #7
barstoolman
Banned

If you pay full retail for the Liquid Metal with the intent of flipping it, I would imagine you will lose anywhere from $700-$1,000 (if you figure the tax as well) based on a $5,700 retail price.

A fantastic looking watch but at this time, not the right piece for flipping.
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 02:51 AM   #8
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
The Liquidmetal LE is unique for several reasons. Of course, it is limited to 1948 pieces and production has been completed meaning that there are few remaining in the pipeline.

And even with the introduction of the the new 2011 Planet Oceans, it will be the only model in stainless steel with Liquidmetal technology and ceramic dial.

The new POs will also have thicker cases to accommodate the 8500 movement. I have owned seven cal 2500 watches and three cal 8500. Acknowledging that the 8500 is more technologically advanced, I found the bulk of the 8500 watches to not be as comfortable as the older models.

Bottom line, the new models do not tempt me in the least. I much prefer my LM LE.

Fr. John†
All these points may very well be true (and I'm pretty much in agreement w/ most of your points), but regardless, I would say any full retail price paid for a watch like this will be a money loser if flipped. Breitling has offered a bunch of 'LE' models in the past (models that are produced in qty of the 2K-5K range) yet their values drop like lead in water after purchase (I know because I've bought a number of said models from the original owners and made a killing off of savings...even though they were 'LE' models)...Omega is no different. Makes like Breitling & Omega produce awesome watches IMO and many of their LE models are pretty cool, but they just don't hold their value like a true top tier watch maker LE models.

Those brands LE's models are not good investments IMO...like anything else, the only way I would recommend paying anywhere close to retail would be if a prospective buyer absolutely LOVES the watch and has no thought of ever flipping.
Old 27 August 2011, 08:38 AM   #9
barstoolman
Banned

Quote:

Fr. John†

Preferred over the new models..........yes!!!!! Nevertheless, it does not warrant paying full retail if he intends on flipping it. That will be a loser for him
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 11:43 AM   #10
jmsrolls
Banned

I never buy any watch as an investment. That is not to say that I have not made money on some.

My Liquidmetal came in a trade and in the 15 months that I have owned it, I have refused three offers for MSRP+. Yes, I could have flipped it and made money.

This limited edition is a bit different from most. It represents the zenith of a discontinued model in addition to being a LE. One need only look at recent prices of the 16710 GMT and the 16600 SD. Although not limited editions, they are classics that will never be produced again not unlike the PO Liquidmetal LE. IMO Pre-owned prices of all three will eventually equal/surpass original MSRP.

Mt 2˘.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2011, 01:54 PM   #11
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This limited edition is a bit different from most. It represents the zenith of a discontinued model in addition to being a LE. One need only look at recent prices of the 16710 GMT and the 16600 SD.
Rolex vs. Omega on the retention of value is the epitome of an Apple to Oranges comparison IMO. I'm not an Omega 'hater' by any means (have owned, loved & flipped numerous over the years & still love my SMP Chrono as much as the day I bought it 10+ years ago)...but using ANY Rolex example as a means to rationalize why a certain Omega model may be a good investment is risky business to say the least.
Old 5 September 2011, 09:44 PM   #12
RolexYM
Banned

Watch: TOG + Yachmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Rolex vs. Omega on the retention of value is the epitome of an Apple to Oranges comparison IMO. I'm not an Omega 'hater' by any means (have owned, loved & flipped numerous over the years & still love my SMP Chrono as much as the day I bought it 10+ years ago)...but using ANY Rolex example as a means to rationalize why a certain Omega model may be a good investment is risky business to say the least.
x2.

And why would you want to own a watch that has an outdated (frequent troublesome) movement...now that Omega has gone with 2500D caliber for the lower end Omegas and 8500 for the higher end.
RolexYM is offline   Reply With Quote