The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 April 2022, 07:39 PM   #1
shammad10
"TRF" Member

New Panerai pricing

I bought a new Submersible Bianco (PAM1223) in January for around £7000 from the boutique in London. At the time I thought it was a lot of money and the same price of a submariner at retail- but hey good luck trying to get a sub at retail and it was a great watch.

The new releases this week had me impressed and thinking about a new 44mm submersible e-steel….Then I looked at the price.

£9300 MSRP in the UK. What are they thinking with that pricing?

That surely takes it way out of range of most people looking for a tool dive watch. It’s almost double the price of a new omega seamaster on a rubber strap. £2k more than a rolex submariner, 3x the price of a Pelagos etc etc.
How are they justifying this? From what I can see, they are cost cutting with undecorated movements and closed casebacks etc.

What do others think about this?
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 08:08 PM   #2
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
It's sad to say about my beloved Panerai, but I have to agree with you. 11000 plus for a un decorated p900. Movement is just not right.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 08:18 PM   #3
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Readily justified. They've apparently recently justified their non-COSC movements. They now mostly have solid casebacks so they can hide their undecorated and barely finished calibres and have seemingly removed the hacking functionality from their most popular (cheap) calibres.

Why? Because it doesn't matter. The Paneristi will still buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 10:34 PM   #4
shammad10
"TRF" Member

It’s a real shame. I absolutely love the panerai vibe and look.
Especially the fact that they’re not on everyone’s wrists and there’s no hype.

If they were clever about things they could really capitalise on the current situation and take a load of Rolex/omega customers. But hey, they don’t seem to be interested.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 12:22 AM   #5
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

I reserved the 44mm white dial submersible (PAM1226). I want to say that was about $9k for the watch. I have nothing against the people that want eSteel watches. You are basically paying for the honor of supporting the ESG movement and the premium associated with recycled materials. That is not for me and I flat out told them that whole concept is unappealing to me.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2022, 04:01 AM   #6
rlj676
"TRF" Member

OP makes all the right points. I liked the 44 carbotech till I saw that insane price… worse than the 42/47. Why, just because it’s the Goldilocks size they should have had all along?

I definitely wouldn’t pay premium for esteel and flimsy looking PET strap over my 683 bought in Jan either just to get the better size to me. I already feel like a sucker but said it’s same as sub date now so I justified it (and could get one of those at retail too so definitely not paying over).

Oh well I guess…
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote