The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 February 2023, 10:55 AM   #1
scottb23
"TRF" Member

Oliver and Clarke retailer check

I’ve searched a few threads but wanted to post and get the forums latest expert views on Oliver and Clarke. I’ll admit I’ve never seen such a collection online of grail pieces that seem to roll in by the day (+ more curiously only for sale over IG “dm” only) and I guess I’m just wondering if the community views these pieces as generally legit, correct and as advertised.

I am not a vintage expert at all and a bit gun shy after my one vintage purchase from another decently known dealer (a 1675 radial) that was claimed to be totally legit/all original turned out to have badly relumed hands and some other issues that have spooked me.

Really appreciate the thoughts.
scottb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 11:06 AM   #2
Will866
"TRF" Member

No experience with them but they were recently featured in a NYT article. Great looking stuff on their site.
Will866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 11:35 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

This thread may be of interest: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=889575
Old 23 February 2023, 03:40 PM   #4
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

A lot of these watches seem to be sourced from Japan and Taiwan.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 02:23 AM   #5
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I would avoid Linden and O&C in general. He does not accurately describe his vintage watches in my opinion and he avoids questions by experts. See the link above and avoid.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 02:53 AM   #6
scottb23
"TRF" Member

Thank you all I do appreciate it. Definitely need to thoroughly research my new purchase and this forum js a great resource.
scottb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 07:59 AM   #7
PVR
"TRF" Member

I have recently heard about this company and have been asked about them twice over the last week alone. I want to preface that I have no experience dealing with them at all, I have never bought or sold to them. I have heard from a couple of dealers that have had bad experiences with them and a couple of customers who have also expressed that the owner Linden greatly misrepresents his watches. All dealers sugar coat their watches flaws, but this guy goes above and beyond with omitting major issues and not disclosing a lot.

The NYT article was a fluff piece pushed by a PR agent. I put no weight in those types of articles. Try and get some real world feedback from customers. From the content of the article, they do over 10m a year in sales so it shouldn't be hard to find a couple of reviews from actual customers :)
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 12:58 PM   #8
Laserflorida
"TRF" Member

I bought a 1680 from him last year. As described. Zero issues. I would buy from him again.
Laserflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 02:28 PM   #9
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I would not be a customer personally. Too many good dealers to gamble with suspect ones in my opinion.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2023, 06:26 PM   #10
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

I reached out to them twice for two pieces they were selling as unpolished. When confronted about them being polished in reality (it was obvious) he shrugged it off saying it was only polished once and that “they did it right”. Never updated any of the descriptions.
Avoid like the plague.
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 02:52 AM   #11
dhknola
"TRF" Member

"Greatly misrepresents watches" is the most accurate representation of this dealer.
Old 25 February 2023, 02:54 AM   #12
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtmister View Post
I reached out to them twice for two pieces they were selling as unpolished. When confronted about them being polished in reality (it was obvious) he shrugged it off saying it was only polished once and that “they did it right”. Never updated any of the descriptions.
Avoid like the plague.
There are plenty of watches on his site that appear to be polished that are noted as unpolished
jgottsman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 03:26 AM   #13
TheBrimic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Avoid like the plague.

I visited them in person and this was the case. Almost every watch was clearly refinished and was either advertised as "NOS" or unpolished.
TheBrimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 04:01 AM   #14
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The irony is that O&C was featured on a podcast recently where he touted transparency in the marketplace. Something is amiss here.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 05:06 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrimic View Post
I visited them in person and this was the case. Almost every watch was clearly refinished and was either advertised as "NOS" or unpolished.
In their defense, they're not alone in the dealer world describing watches better than they actually are, whether it's "unpolished," "excellent," "tropical" when damaged or failing to mention service/replacement parts. And this includes many dealers that are generally very well regarded and often mentioned on the forum.

Awhile back, I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with Linden about a watch I was considering. He was professional, friendly and seemingly very open about the watch. Texted me additional info and photos, and answered numerous follow-up questions. I didn't buy, and based on some forum chatter, I probably wouldn't. Still, I'm not sure O&C is any worse/better than a lot of dealers out there.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 05:41 AM   #16
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
O&C is just another dealer in the network that trades vintages watches back and forth. Never trust “unpolished.” The refinishers have gotten very good and even add artificial wear marks.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 08:53 AM   #17
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I think there are enough good dealers we don't have to fuss with guys like him. Sadly, there are people that will fall into his trap. This isn't to say there is a problem with everything he sells but for me I have enough examples where I just would not enjoy what I buy even if I believed it was right or a decent deal.
Old 25 February 2023, 12:14 PM   #18
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

I've examined vintage and antique watches at top London dealers and many of them have been refinished.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 06:09 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The obsession with polished/not polished is partly the cause. Polishing a watch isn’t a problem unless done badly or too many times. If the market wasn’t so hung up on this aspect of vintage pieces it would be a non-event.
Old 25 February 2023, 09:22 PM   #20
gmtmister
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
The obsession with polished/not polished is partly the cause. Polishing a watch isn’t a problem unless done badly or too many times. If the market wasn’t so hung up on this aspect of vintage pieces it would be a non-event.
The “obsession” has nothing to do with honesty. If it says unpolished, it should be unpolished, which as far as this retailer goes is almost never the case.
gmtmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 09:44 PM   #21
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Agree 100% - bit same with B/Papers as 25-45% premium means all manner of cobbled together todd ensues.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 03:27 AM   #22
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

The cobbled together full sets kill me. Things that never even came with some models.
Old 26 February 2023, 05:28 AM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Agree 100% - bit same with B/Papers as 25-45% premium means all manner of cobbled together todd ensues.
Well, you can’t “cobble” together a watch’s original Rolex guarantee paper, of course. And that does indeed add a lot of value to a vintage piece, and quite right, IMHO.

The boxes and accessories, as long as they’re period-correct for the watch, don’t bother me if added later. I don’t see how it’s any different than installing a different but correct insert in a 1675 or adding a correctly dated rivet bracelet to a 5513. Guys do it all the time.

Also, keep in mind it was just an AD who assembled the boxes, manuals and accessories, not Rolex itself. That’s why there’s sometimes inconsistency with full sets of same eras.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 06:47 AM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Well, you can’t “cobble” together a watch’s original Rolex guarantee paper, of course. And that does indeed add a lot of value to a vintage piece, and quite right, IMHO.

The boxes and accessories, as long as they’re period-correct for the watch, don’t bother me if added later. I don’t see how it’s any different than installing a different but correct insert in a 1675 or adding a correctly dated rivet bracelet to a 5513. Guys do it all the time.

Also, keep in mind it was just an AD who assembled the boxes, manuals and accessories, not Rolex itself. That’s why there’s sometimes inconsistency with full sets of same eras.
I would agree with Aaron! Of course almost anything can be faked, but, I very rarely see fake warranty papers with a set. What is more common is a fake case stamped to match a genuine warranty paper.

As far as sets go, I love a nice set but cobbled together sets are mostly disappointing and sometimes makes me chuckle. Kind of makes me want to shout out "nice try fella."

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 07:33 AM   #25
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The “obsession” has nothing to do with honesty. If it says unpolished, it should be unpolished, which as far as this retailer goes is almost never the case.
Would agree with this, even if it's not the current industry norm.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 02:45 PM   #26
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
I was interested in a Rolex 4467 he had on his site, but the dial looked immaculate for an almost 80 year old watch. When I asked if it was refinished he denied and stated it was all original. I passed, didn’t sound right to me.

"Nothing is to too beautiful, nothing is too expensive" Ettore Bugatti.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 02:05 PM   #27
klchow
"TRF" Member

Corresponded a few times with Linden on IG. Short unhelpful responses and unwillingness to show more detailed pics or answer questions. As others have said, gives the impression he can’t really be bothered.

Failed my smell test so I’ve generally stayed away. Good call judging by some of the accounts here.
klchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 11:51 PM   #28
dhknola
"TRF" Member

A v o i d
Old 27 June 2023, 01:10 AM   #29
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
again, too many watches that look to have been touched by a polishing wheel that are advertised as razor sharp unpolished
jgottsman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2023, 08:09 AM   #30
PVR
"TRF" Member

Linden is a douche of the highest order. My only interaction with him he displayed arrogance and ignorance reserved for people twice his age. At 21 to act like this big of a douche, I can't imagine he will be in the business for long. He has burned SO MANY bridges that it's hard to buy/sell/trade when half of the dealers and retail customers hate you.

On a side note, I do business with a common dealer who says he loves doing business with Linden, so I suppose he isn't a douche to everyone, just most :)

He has/had a fake Stella for sale on his site that he KNEW was fake, but still pushed it to try and recover some losses, which to me is an avoid at all costs dealer..
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote