The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 May 2018, 11:49 PM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

312 & 320 Discontinued?

These are no longer showing on the website for me...
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:58 AM   #2
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
I think so
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 09:00 AM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

What the heck....I thought the 312 was one of the most popular models? Why in the world would they get rid of those staple models and only leave the 42mm, blue accented stepchild?

If true, add this to the list of senseless decisions Panerai has made over the past 5 years.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:27 AM   #4
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
What the heck....I thought the 312 was one of the most popular models? Why in the world would they get rid of those staple models and only leave the 42mm, blue accented stepchild?

If true, add this to the list of senseless decisions Panerai has made over the past 5 years.
the 1312 replaces the 312

if you want a 312 there are lots of them out there....if you wanted a new one there was plenty of time to get one.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 10:19 AM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
the 1312 replaces the 312

if you want a 312 there are lots of them out there....if you wanted a new one there was plenty of time to get one.
I have a friend shopping for a 312/320/233, just been helping him out over the past few weeks. I just think it's incredibly odd they would disco the 312. I for one, think this entire 'blue second hand' line cheapens the entire watch. It looks like a gimmick. I first got into Panerai 8 or so years ago because of its flat, monotone, unlike anything else on the market dials. Now they're going to push away from that with these second hands, 'due' line, etc?

Others will disagree I'm sure, but I think Panerai is massively failing at 'fixing' itself after it peaked 5-6 years ago. I for one, I'm glad I sold mine back then. I truly wish they would have stuck with a limited amount of models, raised prices and focused on improving quality/repair time. Instead, they decided to flood the market, release a ridiculous amount of models, not improve repair time while simultaneously raising prices. I guess that's why we're where we are. Kind of makes me sad.
Old 28 May 2018, 02:57 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have a friend shopping for a 312/320/233, just been helping him out over the past few weeks. I just think it's incredibly odd they would disco the 312. I for one, think this entire 'blue second hand' line cheapens the entire watch. It looks like a gimmick. I first got into Panerai 8 or so years ago because of its flat, monotone, unlike anything else on the market dials. Now they're going to push away from that with these second hands, 'due' line, etc?

Others will disagree I'm sure, but I think Panerai is massively failing at 'fixing' itself after it peaked 5-6 years ago. I for one, I'm glad I sold mine back then. I truly wish they would have stuck with a limited amount of models, raised prices and focused on improving quality/repair time. Instead, they decided to flood the market, release a ridiculous amount of models, not improve repair time while simultaneously raising prices. I guess that's why we're where we are. Kind of makes me sad.

Pretty strong feelings.... you must not like that "friend" very much to help him shop for such a watch. ;-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 03:22 PM   #7
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

don't agree with you, love the due line and some of the new models, some of the new models don't 'appeal to me' but no watch brand is all things to all people.

there are plenty of the older models available if that's what you or your friend are looking for. flood the market really?

PASC while not perfect have been great to deal with in all my interactions.

for me the physical watch is only part of the equation....the true friends i've made, the awesome gtg's where we hang out and share a few cocktails great food and lots of laughs will be with me for a long time and that's the bonus. there's nothing better traveling as much as i do and getting to see friends all over the globe.

good luck in finding something for your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Pretty strong feelings.... you must not like that "friend" very much to help him shop for such a watch. ;-)
lol cru....

chgo_risti on IG
Old 28 May 2018, 05:20 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It’s always interesting reading the reactions on forums such as these. As enthusiasts, (and I’m new to Panerai after years of Rolex), we hold minority views. There’s a whole world out there filled with people who love what they’re doing. 30m WP, is perhaps disappointing, 38mm a bit small? But, this only opens the market to new business. Btw, I have a 390 base and a 233. Love them both, but if one had to go, I’d keep 233.
Old 28 May 2018, 10:46 PM   #9
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

i ask the ones that b!tch about the the 30m, approx 90ft, when was the last time they even swam with their pam on? or got it wet for that matter

chgo_risti on IG
Old 28 May 2018, 11:50 PM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Why would I offer my negative opinion on Panerai in current time, to my friend, when he never asked for it and has already told me he 100% wants one of these models and loves the way they look? That's snobby, pompous and anything but what a friend would actually do. Are you lacking in the friend department to not be aware of this? This is his first large watch purchase, hence him seeking out my advice, and is probably only buying from an AD. Hence my original creation of this thread, so I can advise him appropriately.

Don't really understand this post anyways with your quotations, are you trying to insinuate I'm making up having a friend wanting this piece? What are we, 12 years old? I didn't just create this account yesterday and decide to troll the Panerai forum, but alright.
Old 28 May 2018, 11:52 PM   #11
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
don't agree with you, love the due line and some of the new models, some of the new models don't 'appeal to me' but no watch brand is all things to all people.

there are plenty of the older models available if that's what you or your friend are looking for. flood the market really?

PASC while not perfect have been great to deal with in all my interactions.

for me the physical watch is only part of the equation....the true friends i've made, the awesome gtg's where we hang out and share a few cocktails great food and lots of laughs will be with me for a long time and that's the bonus. there's nothing better traveling as much as i do and getting to see friends all over the globe.

good luck in finding something for your friend.
Yeah, as stated, definitely know there are others of differing opinions. That's part of this entire watch community Only conveying mine, which just as yours is entirely acceptable on the way Panerai currently is, mine is too.

Quote:
i ask the ones that b!tch about the the 30m, approx 90ft, when was the last time they even swam with their pam on? or got it wet for that matter
I used to always swim with my 312....but I guess that was 300m
Old 28 May 2018, 11:59 PM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I don't mind the blue seconds hand as much as I dislike the "Automatic" text on the dial.

I think Panerai is doing both good and bad things. I don't like the snap on casebacks and limited water resistance on the newer base models. On a fundamental level, all Panerai are dive watches. While few people actually use their watches for diving, they should be inherently functional.

I don't mind the touch of color added to the new "1" models, but it is a little strange that almost anything with a 1950 case got it. It certainly doesn't bother me.

Panerai seems to be in flux right now. They are refining their movements, offering models online, and seem to be insistent on offering affordable models (I just think there are some compromises being made). I'd like to see the brand have a more defined regular production lineup punctuated with interesting special releases.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 03:05 AM   #13
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to always swim with my 312....but I guess that was 300m
lol....most don’t even take it in the ‘kiddie pool’

have a great day

chgo_risti on IG
Old 29 May 2018, 08:05 AM   #14
WillC
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR126710 IWC GS
The 1312 also has the updated movement (9010 vs 9000 in the 312) as well as it being slightly slimmer. I don't see a reason for Panerai to keep both models just for people that prefer the look of another. I'm sure there's plenty of new old-stock sitting around (I tried one on myself the other day at a boutique) and there's plenty of used ones. It's not like it was a true "limited edition" and only 1000 pieces were made worldwide. Yeah it sucks, but thats what happens sometimes.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 09:00 AM   #15
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
The 1312 also has the updated movement (9010 vs 9000 in the 312) as well as it being slightly slimmer. I don't see a reason for Panerai to keep both models just for people that prefer the look of another. I'm sure there's plenty of new old-stock sitting around (I tried one on myself the other day at a boutique) and there's plenty of used ones. It's not like it was a true "limited edition" and only 1000 pieces were made worldwide. Yeah it sucks, but thats what happens sometimes.
Thanks for the info