The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 August 2020, 11:35 PM   #31
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
When I was an infantry soldier, in the field up to Sergeant (I couldn't up to sergeant and beyond either) I couldn't afford a Rolex sub, it was way out of my pay league, I suspect it still is for most soldiers. The first good watch I got and wore in the field was when my Gran left me 400 quid and I bought a Tag, I was a Colour Sergeant at the time, but that sort of money was a huge amount in comparison to my wages.

I left about 5 years ago, my wages never got over £31K at my highest rank. I don't know what other soldiers from different countries get paid, but certainly, I would hazard that a British Corporal or Lance Jack would find it very difficult to buy a Rolex on the wages they are on. I would also guess that they are rarely seen at that rank.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 11:45 PM   #32
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
When I was in the Army I was more into the most advanced durable digital watch I could find. I had G-shocks, Suunto, Casio Protek, Ironman. I’ve been wearing a SD4K the last four years and although I’m not jumping out of airplanes anymore it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it with 24/7/365 wear in LE.

If I were still in the military today I’d probably wear a Sinn UTC or the Breitling AVIATOR 8 AUTOMATIC 41 BLACK STEEL CURTISS WARHAWK. Something about the Breitling calls to me even now. I’d like to wear it and reminisce about the good old days, when I was young, before I had full frontal lope development, and I was jumping out of plans and playing with C-4.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 11:46 PM   #33
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Doesn’t get more “tactical” than a member of The Unit wearing a run of the mil GMT....

https://www.craftandtailored.com/col...ary-provenance
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 11:56 PM   #34
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I'd say a Blancpain Bathyscaph ceramic chrono
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 11:59 PM   #35
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Doesn’t get more “tactical” than a member of The Unit wearing a run of the mil GMT....

https://www.craftandtailored.com/col...ary-provenance
What a joke. Should I start selling my watches like this as well - "certified Vet!"?

The salesmanship / gamesmanship is getting ridiculous by these resellers. We're not talking about a military issued watch or vintage from WWII; there is nothing special here in my opinion.
Old 16 August 2020, 12:07 AM   #36
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Rolex Explorer 2 black dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 12:22 AM   #37
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
When I was an infantry soldier, in the field up to Sergeant (I couldn't up to sergeant and beyond either) I couldn't afford a Rolex sub, it was way out of my pay league, I suspect it still is for most soldiers. The first good watch I got and wore in the field was when my Gran left me 400 quid and I bought a Tag, I was a Colour Sergeant at the time, but that sort of money was a huge amount in comparison to my wages.

I left about 5 years ago, my wages never got over £31K at my highest rank. I don't know what other soldiers from different countries get paid, but certainly, I would hazard that a British Corporal or Lance Jack would find it very difficult to buy a Rolex on the wages they are on. I would also guess that they are rarely seen at that rank.

I bought my first Rolex as a newly minted Sergeant. Could I afford it ? Probably not. But I still bought it. And still have it...

With jump pay, hazard pay and some pretty damn high reenlistment bonuses, you’d be surprised what some guys in some units can afford.... not to mention the money made once you jumped on the contracting gravy train.

JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 12:25 AM   #38
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChips View Post
I bought my first Rolex as a newly minted Sergeant. Could I afford it ? Probably not. But I still bought it. And still have it...

With jump pay, hazard pay and some pretty damn high reenlistment bonuses, you’d be surprised what some guys in some units can afford.... not to mention the money made once you jumped on the contracting gravy train.

Yeah I got my first Rolex the year I was promoted to SGT. We should start a club.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 12:29 AM   #39
russdenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Not a no no device thread, just a guy asking what watch would be great for vigorous physical activity.

I'd take a G-shock into the field, if I had to take a luxury watch, would be my Explorer II - because it's insured
I originally had a pic in the post with my G-shock and weapon - this is why he recommended I take it down. I just removed the picture.
russdenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 12:59 AM   #40
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Glad you could. My first Rolex was a Sea Dweller as a Sergeant Major in 2007. I bought it using a bank loan, it cost £3,800, I got 100 quid discount, I will have been paid about 24K a year at the time, just not paid enough to buy outright, during my time in the infantry, I would have been surprised to see any junior rank with a Rolex.

DAVE

Old 16 August 2020, 01:18 AM   #41
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad you could. My first Rolex was a Sea Dweller as a Sergeant Major in 2007. I bought it using a bank loan, it cost £3,800, I got 100 quid discount, I will have been paid about 24K a year at the time, just not paid enough to buy outright, during my time in the infantry, I would have been surprised to see any junior rank with a Rolex.

Right. That’s fair, to be sure.

Old 16 August 2020, 01:28 AM   #42
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Right. That’s fair, to be sure.
I must admit though, I wish I had done it like you and got it as a newly minted Sergeant, it makes perfect sense and the perfect gift to oneself on that landmark achievement.

DAVE

Old 16 August 2020, 01:58 AM   #43
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

For me G-Shock or a Sub.

I've navigated everything from ordering a drink in a bar scene in Star Wars situation, to shopping on Black Friday at Best Buy and both have come out like a champ.

I'm thinking of renting a Harley and driving a few miles with one of those rattle traps to see if my Rolex can endure that kind of torture. Wish me luck.

I know, I know, I'm a maverick.
Old 16 August 2020, 02:15 AM   #44
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
For me G-Shock or a Sub.

I've navigated everything from ordering a drink in a bar scene in Star Wars situation, to shopping on Black Friday at Best Buy and both have come out like a champ.

I'm thinking of renting a Harley and driving a few miles with one of those rattle traps to see if my Rolex can endure that kind of torture. Wish me luck.

I know, I know, I'm a maverick.

DAVE

Old 16 August 2020, 02:50 AM   #45
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Probably a taped out PM sub to prevent reflections.

Have the metal value to trade should it be needed.

Robust enough to keep working all day, every day.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #46
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
G Shock is what I wore while on the job but if I had to choose a Rolex for the suggested scenario it would be the 14060M, probably on a nylon strap of some sort.
If this G Shock could talk it’d have stories to tell. I’ll never get rid of it. The Submariner I bought for myself as a retirement gift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF8A5EB0-7822-4709-938B-EBA9D637F64A.jpeg (108.9 KB, 181 views)

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 03:02 AM   #47
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
What a joke. Should I start selling my watches like this as well - "certified Vet!"?

The salesmanship / gamesmanship is getting ridiculous by these resellers. We're not talking about a military issued watch or vintage from WWII; there is nothing special here in my opinion.
I’m scratching my head at this one too. The man obviously has a highly impressive service record but if his experiences with that watch did not result in enough sentimental value for him to keep the watch why would they matter more to someone else. If anything, If I was looking for that model as a collector I’d be looking for a safe queen not one that been through combat. And selling it with the service record. Great six months later some YouTube “stolen valor” video will pop up with some 450lbs basement dwelling air soft wannabe sitting in a bar somewhere talk about his time in CAG and he has the watch and documentation to prove it.

Ps if anyone is interested in a titanium Casio protek worn in OIF I’ll sell you one for half the asking price of this Rolex. Super deal.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 03:46 AM   #48
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Probably a taped out PM sub to prevent reflections.

Have the metal value to trade should it be needed.

Robust enough to keep working all day, every day.
PVD coated gold would be pretty cool.

always fancied the breitling emergency watches, but the distress signal probably isn't ideal when in enemy territory
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 04:08 AM   #49
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Luminox would be great for tactical environments. Especially with the titrium lumes.
Old 16 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #50
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I must admit though, I wish I had done it like you and got it as a newly minted Sergeant, it makes perfect sense and the perfect gift to oneself on that landmark achievement.

Right. I didn’t look at it like that, at the time. I just bought a watch that I liked, saw on the arms of a lot of guys in my unit and seemed to be part of the unofficial uniform.

Looking back at it, I’m now glad I did, kept it and used it throughout most of my career.

Old 16 August 2020, 04:33 AM   #51
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I’d vote for Seiko and Sinn.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 04:42 AM   #52
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Although i am a Rolex fan i still would go for the Breitling Emergency.

Old 16 August 2020, 06:27 AM   #53
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
My 2 cents worth: if you are in combat arms take a couple of watches, either a casio or luminox and another mid range watch (non tactical) as a backup or for transiting through third countries in Grey Man mode.
If you are meeting/flipping upper echelon foreign types, then wear your Rolex. I have found that men of power and wealth around the world admire and wear high end watches (obvious). Upper level Bad guys also wear high end watches.... Stay safe.
Cazador60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:08 AM   #54
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
A friend of the family has been a Marine Recon soldier, then a Raider (both Marine Corps Special forces groups) for 20 years. He wears a Luminox 1880 series watch when deployed.
It's hard to beat the lume on the Luminox watches. Good at dusk/dawn when most watches lume fails.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:23 AM   #55
Mifune
Banned

In the sixties it was a version of this... the 6105. They sold THOUSANDS of them to Vietnam veterans.

Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 05:50 AM   #56
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
JLC did exactly what the OP is asking for with the Navy Seals releases. They are really cool watches if you’re okay with the bulkiness. I am partial to the alarm version.
I do not believe that there are enough SEALS in the US Navy to wear all the watches that carry their supposed approval.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 05:54 AM   #57
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
It's hard to beat the lume on the Luminox watches. Good at dusk/dawn when most watches lume fails.
My friend mentioned this first. The tritium gas tubes provide an appropriately faint lume 24/7. The Luminox 1880 series also has an alarm feature, sapphire crystal and it’s built like a tank. I bought one after he told me about his.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:03 AM   #58
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I do not believe that there are enough SEALS in the US Navy to wear all the watches that carry their supposed approval.

Hahahahahaha. No shit. But then again, everyone that gets a bird also gets a Hollywood agent and an how-to manual on book writing....

Old 17 August 2020, 07:07 AM   #59
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Hahahahahaha. No shit. But then again, everyone that gets a bird also gets a Hollywood agent and an how-to manual on book writing....

Very true. Especially odd for a unit of supposed "quiet professionals."

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #60
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Very true. Especially odd for a unit of supposed "quiet professionals."

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I suppose that phrase means different things in different places. It’s a brave new world...