The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 October 2016, 02:46 AM   #1
OBC
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMTmaster1 1970ish

I inhereted my fathers GMTmaster which dates back to the late 60's - early 70's. Unfortunately it no longer goes and the the crown wheel outer has broken off, so I will need to have it serviced, when I can afford it :(

One thing I have noticed is that the 24hour hand does not have the larger, more common arrowhead, but a much smaller one.

Any ideas as to the date of this watch, I don't have any papers, but do have a box [one of two] but I remember my father getting the watch in lieu of a bad debt.

OBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 06:58 AM   #2
timnik
"TRF" Member

Hi, I'm in the UK and I have a GMT-Master 1969 (I think) inherited from my father who died in 2004.

Some photos are going to needed.

Don't worry if it's not working. There are people who will get it running!

There is a font of knowledge on here.

Sounds like you have an early to mid 60's model with the small GMT hand. I reckon you've probably got yourself something good there.

Photos please!
timnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 07:33 AM   #3
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
As already said we need pics!! Depending on your location Graham at Superlative Time in West London is your man for servicing, he has just rebuilt the movement on my 16750 and will do whatever you require and he also understands the whole vintage thing!

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 07:42 AM   #4
OBC
"TRF" Member

shock!!!

I gave it a shake and the second hand moved, so I set the time and put it on. It's been running all evening. Can't change the date though

re photos. I need to put it online as I don't seem to be able to upload.
Old 6 October 2016, 07:42 AM   #5
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Smaller GMT hand from the 60's was a model 1675.

Best way to determine year is to take the bracelet off and check the numbers on the case between the lugs, then look it up on one of the many date charts on the web, or post it here and one of us can tell you.

And as said above, please post pics.
Old 6 October 2016, 07:44 AM   #6
OBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
Smaller GMT hand from the 60's/70's was a model 1675.

Best way to determine year is to take the bracelet off and check the numbers on the case between the lugs, then look it up on one of the many date charts on the web, or post it here and one of us can tell you.

And as said above, please post pics.

bracelet reg no: 78360 / 558. case no:1437809 as far as I can tell, very faint.

lets see if I can add a photo:

[IMG][/IMG]

click on it and it should go to a larger image. As you will see it's had a hard life. no collectors item this, but one used by a seaman.
Old 6 October 2016, 08:06 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBC View Post
shock!!!

I gave it a shake and the second hand moved, so I set the time and put it on. It's been running all evening. Can't change the date though

re photos. I need to put it online as I don't seem to be able to upload.
the date only changes as time reaches midnight, there was no quickset with vintage Rolex. Sounds like you might have something great there
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 08:15 AM   #8
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No way!

If those numbers are right you have a 1960 production model. Which means either a first year 1675 or by chance a 6542.

Check the other side of the case. That is where the model number is.
Old 6 October 2016, 08:24 AM   #9
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
No way!

If those numbers are right you have a 1960 production model. Which means either a first year 1675 or by chance a 6542.

That serial number (1,437,809) would put it around 1966.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 08:27 AM   #10
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
That serial number (1,437,809) would put it around 1966.
I've seen various lists that show different date ranges. If the one I used do date my GMT was correct (which put it at 1986 - it was purchased in 1986) then his dates at 1960. I suppose that list could be incorrect for that range though.

(One list I have puts it at 1960 - Another at 1966/67)
Old 6 October 2016, 08:29 AM   #11
OBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
no way!

Old 6 October 2016, 08:44 AM   #12
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
You're a lucky, lucky man!

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've seen various lists that show different date ranges. If the one I used do date my GMT was correct (which put it at 1986 - it was purchased in 1986) then his dates at 1960. I suppose that list could be incorrect for that range though.

While no list is 100% perfect, this list from our own esteemed colleagues here is the best I've seen:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=54362
Old 6 October 2016, 09:28 AM   #14
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Excellent reference material. Thanks.
Old 6 October 2016, 10:20 AM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

The list you are using is incorrect, believe it or not. It might have given you the correct date for a 1980s vintage watch, but many of these lists were made years ago and are clearly lacking when it comes to being correct for the watches from the 1960s, and even earlier.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 10:24 AM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Excellent reference material. Thanks.
Your watch appears to have the correct, glossy-gilt dial (gold-colored fonts, coronet and other marks) based on your serial number. It appears to be the last variation of the gilt dials, which is correct for your watch as well as the small 24-hour hand which is correct. The bezel insert also appears to be original, but the bracelet is a replacement Oyster with DATEJUST end links.

Enjoy your watch!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 06:26 PM   #17
timnik
"TRF" Member

I second what Lee has said about Graham Fowler. He has serviced my watches and I would definitely recommend him. He has a small workshop in West London and he knows his stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bracelet not being correct. Mine isn't either! I've got a 93150 on mine. The rest of it looks pretty good. A new plexiglass, a service and a small repair. My winding crown came off just like yours. Graham serviced it. Put on a new plexiglass, repaired the crown for just over £300! Obviously I don't know what your watch is going to need. I think you'll have a pretty desirable watch when it's sorted.

Where abouts in the UK are you BTW?
Old 6 October 2016, 07:56 PM   #18
OBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnik View Post
I second what Lee has said about Graham Fowler. He has serviced my watches and I would definitely recommend him. He has a small workshop in West London and he knows his stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bracelet not being correct. Mine isn't either! I've got a 93150 on mine. The rest of it looks pretty good. A new plexiglass, a service and a small repair. My winding crown came off just like yours. Graham serviced it. Put on a new plexiglass, repaired the crown for just over £300! Obviously I don't know what your watch is going to need. I think you'll have a pretty desirable watch when it's sorted.

N.Wales
Old 7 October 2016, 02:22 AM   #19
timnik
"TRF" Member

You could post it to him! I took mine down to his workshop just to see who or what I was dealing with. I needn't have worried. He's a great bloke and his workshop is fantastic. He posted mine back to me without any problems. Just make sure you adequately insured. About £5000 I'd say. Possibly more. Best estimate too high rather than too low.

Call him and chat!
Old 7 October 2016, 02:35 AM   #20
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Do you mean Graham Simmonds? I know Graham Fowler is a watch collector, and has a great shop for cool clothes and shoes.
Old 7 October 2016, 03:06 AM   #21
timnik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Do you mean Graham Simmonds? I know Graham Fowler is a watch collector, and has a great shop for cool clothes and shoes.
Sorry. Yes I mean Graham Simmons.

Far too many Grahams around here!

Graham Fowler also played cricket for England in the 70's and 80's. A decent opening batsman as well. "Foxy Fowler" was his nickname.

It's an English and Aussie thing!
Old 7 October 2016, 03:42 AM   #22
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

That GMT is awesome. Enjoy it for decades to come!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 04:01 AM   #23
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sorry. Yes I mean Graham Simmons.

Far too many Grahams around here!

Graham Fowler also played cricket for England in the 70's and 80's. A decent opening batsman as well. "Foxy Fowler" was his nickname.

It's an English and Aussie thing!
Completely understand! Was at a friend's for dinner last night, (he's a British humo(u)rist), and we got into a big discussion about English gentlemen's clubs, and then names....particularly, the exceedingly British ones!
Old 22 February 2017, 06:36 AM   #24
JSou
"TRF" Member

Hello All,

I'm sorry in advance to intrude in this way, but I'm feeling a bit desperate and hope someone can help me out.

Several months ago I've sent my vintage Breitling Navitimer 816 to Superlative Time Ltd Uk after some discussions by email with Graham Simmonds about the restoration. In the end of last year I've tried to contact him to get updates on the watch but it was very difficult to catch him - bit strange. Currently he no longer answers my calls neither emails... since beginning of this year. I'm very worried about what's going on since I don't know to whom should I turn to. Can someone help me? Does anybody knows anything about him or Superlative Time UK - whereabouts?

Many thanks in advance to all! I hope you understand.

Cheers
JSou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2017, 06:55 AM   #25
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Quote:

lets see if I can add a photo:

[IMG][/IMG]

click on it and it should go to a larger image. As you will see it's had a hard life. no collectors item this, but one used by a seaman.
You have a very nice GMT from about 1966 with the correct gilt dial. Do not go to just anyone to have it serviced as it is a valuable piece.

Congrats its a very nice watch!

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 07:00 AM   #26
OBC
"TRF" Member

Trawling through some stuff the other day I came across a 'styrofoam' box embossed with the Rolex logo. Inside was the original bracelet for my father's watch, in need of repair. There was also a black face with yellow markings, all the usual Rolex info, but nothing at all on the reverse apart from 2 locator pins. A knock off?
Old 5 July 2017, 11:46 AM   #27
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Trawling through some stuff the other day I came across a 'styrofoam' box embossed with the Rolex logo. Inside was the original bracelet for my father's watch, in need of repair. There was also a black face with yellow markings, all the usual Rolex info, but nothing at all on the reverse apart from 2 locator pins. A knock off?

Picture would help.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 01:00 PM   #28
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
My 1966 SN# 140024x says hello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_1675_1.jpg (153.9 KB, 455 views)
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 12:25 AM   #29
OBC
"TRF" Member

appropos to the above discussion, i am, at last, in a position to lavish some tlc on my watch.
However, having contacted one of the rcommended independent firms, they inform me that they no longer are able to service this particular vintage marque. My approach to the other firm mention has not resulted in a response as yet. Since I want to keep the patina of age of this particular watch, I am loth to send it to Rolex since I am informed that they hace a tendancy to 'improve'.
Can anyone recommend another independent approved Rolex servicer - UK based, that I can approach?
Old 1 February 2020, 01:44 AM   #30
athom
"TRF" Member

That is a very nice example you have here ! I would do the minimum, mouvement overhauling, gaskets, polishing the crystal,...if you can't afford that I'd suggest to ask for an estimation in this condition and would sell it for a fair and good price.
athom is offline   Reply With Quote