The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 August 2020, 11:50 PM   #1
Hilts
"TRF" Member

Another Rebberg & a Case Query

Afternoon All - in light of the recently posted Rebberg movement I thought I would check on the one below - more to do with the case than the actual movement.

The (rather mucky) case appears to be made from silver with fixed lugs and a screw caseback with three circular notches for opening/closing. Does anyone have any information on "ACME STERLING" is it more likely a description (case appears to be silver so sterling) than a trade/company name?

I'm leaning towards the movement and case not being original to one another, mainly due to the dial not appearing to be the correct size for the case (outer part of movement visible) - however they both appear to be from the same period (probably 1920s) so I could be wrong - possibly movement original to the case but not the dial?

Anyway, if anyone can provide any information on the case etc. it would be greatly appreciated.

Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 08:12 AM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

No telling really. The dial ... the feet have to fit...so that dial fits that movement. I didn't necessarily come THAT particular one but it fits that and it doesn't fit anything else. Kind of standard fare...10.5 ligne likely. Case takes a 10.5 ligne movement...many did. I've never see seen Rolex/Rebberg in Acme cases. Dennison yes. I'm not saying it's not possible. I just haven't seen it. That's a clean Rebberg. If the staff isn't broken and it runs :-) your lucky.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Hilts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
No telling really. The dial ... the feet have to fit...so that dial fits that movement. I didn't necessarily come THAT particular one but it fits that and it doesn't fit anything else. Kind of standard fare...10.5 ligne likely. Case takes a 10.5 ligne movement...many did. I've never see seen Rolex/Rebberg in Acme cases. Dennison yes. I'm not saying it's not possible. I just haven't seen it. That's a clean Rebberg. If the staff isn't broken and it runs :-) your lucky.
Thank you very much for that - it's greatly appreciated.

Nearly spot on - it's an 11 ligne. This is the first ACME case I've (knowingly) seen - Dennison however, thousands of 'em (and great casemakers they were).

Well, I'm 50% lucky with this one :) It runs like a dream face up - over 24 hours on a single wind and keeps great time. Face down however...that's where I lose the other 50%. So, yep, possibly a broken/bent balance staff pivot - or if my luck holds out then a cracked jewel or maybe even just running dry.

Alas this one will have to wait its turn as I have a 1940s/50s Tudor Oyster that needs seeing to first (crown that no longer screws down ) - just need to find someone willing/able to do it!
Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Rishard199
Banned

Nice case for nice Rebberg! It deserves good restoration:)
Rishard199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 12:34 PM   #5
Rishard199
Banned

But new balance staff pivot for such small movement its some hours of work...
Rishard199 is offline   Reply With Quote