The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2019, 11:13 PM   #1
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Two watches that mean so much to me, let's talk more about this

Wasn't sure which subforum to go for

The 15202 is a watch I treated myself to a few years ago after my father died... One thing he said literally on his deathbed, was that he wished he hadn't been quite so frugal and had enjoyed himself a bit more when he had the chance... He always wanted a certain car or tool but never bought it because it seemed too extravagant. Although he provided well for us - it must have been deflating to be literally dying and feeling the regret of things he couldn't do anything about now!

It all made me realize that you do have to prioritize the important parts of life, but you should also allow yourself a treat along the way... With that I pretty much emptied my then bank account, on the watch I'd been fantasising about for years - and I felt I'd had his blessings, even tho he wasn't around to say so.

The 5524
I recently bought myself, as it was always so hard to get hold of until recently... It was a premium piece after it came out. But it had Caught my eye and I never forgot about it.

After I eventually passed my pilot license, my life long aspiration - it too became available, even at prices under retail... So I bought one

Whenever I wear either of these watches I always feel a blanket of comfort- from the ecclectic lessons from dad, or from the sense of achievement in being a pilot : And all augmented by celebrating the memory's or achiements, with the purchase of the watches I'm passionate about

Please share some stories associated with your favourite pieces...

We need to remember our watches this way more , it's all become about - assets and liabilities here over the last few years....
Watches are our coveted passions, capable of holding emotions and memory, our history and our journeys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20191206_125240.jpg (119.9 KB, 966 views)
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 12:17 AM   #2
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Great story! I agree, and have similar memories, only with a Rolex not PP. I regrettably sold my first 16610 years ago. I still have pictures up of when my kids were born...me in scrubs in the delivery room and holding them when first born, the subsequent parties, life journey/experiences...I had, and that watch is in the pictures. Several pics of those experiences with that watch on my wrist remind me of happy, simpler times. TRF wasn’t a thought, chasing hot watches, worrying about scratches, dings, etc...
I can’t get that watch back, but it makes me realize what you’re talking about. I’m headed towards dumping all but a couple and wearing the sh** out of them without a care, and passing them down with my kids remembering ...dads watch...
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:37 AM   #3
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

To the O/P - what a great great post. I know exactly the sentiment behind it.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:54 AM   #4
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Great Post man...100% appreciate where you coming from
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:59 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Nice post to remind us how much these watches mean to us (not from monetary standpoint but emotional). I can relate to your story. My father saved up and treated himself to a YG DD. When he passed, I bought a DD and it always remind me of him.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:03 AM   #6
Josh1000
Banned

That's exactly what a smart watch cant do and that is invoke an emotion. As JC Biver said if you own a watch to tell the time then you are wasting your time...you buy a watch to look at, to admire and for it to invoke an emotion
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:29 AM   #7
jkesquire
"TRF" Member

I met my wife 6 years ago, and instantly hit it off with her father. We ended up forming as close of a relationship that a son-in-law/father-in-law could ask for. We'd sit around the kitchen table looking at watches wanted to buy, sharing the watches we already owned, and just lusting over this hobby in general. He owned a few pieces, IWC, Breitling as he had a pilot's license as well, and the rose gold yachtmaster on oysterflex.

We got married in August of 2018 and as a wedding gift, he presented me with the Batman on oyster bracelet. I'm not sure if I was more stunned or appreciative, but regardless, I was over the moon. I think seeing the joy it brought me might have made him as happy as marrying his daughter did! Unfortunately he lost his battle with cancer about a month ago.

I've put together a nice collection in my 5 years of collecting (15202, 5712, hulk, 16550 cream rail dial expII, speedy pro) but none of them carry the sentimental value that the batman has. I put it on and it brings so much joy and comfort knowing who it came from. To me, that is what this hobby is all about. Not about the flip, the quick buck, or the "look at me and the watches I have." My other pieces for the most part represent milestones in life/career, and they still carry sentimental value, but nothing like the Batman from my late father-in-law. Brings a tear to the eye to share the story as I'm sitting here typing and reminiscing. In case he's up there watching me post this, just want to say thanks again :)
jkesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:53 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I like being a dragon and having treasure/loot to sit on. As Morgan King once said "Life is short, eat dessert first".

Don't overextend yourself, but enjoy yourself. If you buy em at the right price, they won't lose much value.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 04:24 AM   #9
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Great story! I agree, and have similar memories, only with a Rolex not PP. I regrettably sold my first 16610 years ago. I still have pictures up of when my kids were born...me in scrubs in the delivery room and holding them when first born, the subsequent parties, life journey/experiences...I had, and that watch is in the pictures. Several pics of those experiences with that watch on my wrist remind me of happy, simpler times. TRF wasn’t a thought, chasing hot watches, worrying about scratches, dings, etc...
I can’t get that watch back, but it makes me realize what you’re talking about. I’m headed towards dumping all but a couple and wearing the sh** out of them without a care, and passing them down with my kids remembering ...dads watch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:45 AM   #10
lou in socal
"TRF" Member

Great post! Love hearing the stories behind the watches. I have two that will get passed on to my kids. One is a complete set birth year vintage 1675 all-red which took me a year to find; the other, a 15300 Royal Oak from the year I met my wife that simply makes me smile every time I look at it. All my other watches are just a hobby.

I had sold a blue 5711 a few years back because at the time it simply didn't make me smile. Now I'm looking to get another PP and waiting for one to sing to me. So far, I'm kind of all over the place playing the dating game looking at the 5235, 5396, 5130, 5170, 5205, 5167, 5960, 5524, and the ever divisive 5522.
lou in socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:49 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
That's exactly what a smart watch cant do and that is invoke an emotion. As JC Biver said if you own a watch to tell the time then you are wasting your time...you buy a watch to look at, to admire and for it to invoke an emotion
He also said a watch was a good way of communicating who you are and something of your personality without using words, he has good emotional intelligence and is clearly a people person.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 09:54 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Great post. To be honest I don't really ascribe sentimental value to material goods in general but I can totally understand why one would. That is a great pair!
Old 7 December 2019, 10:12 AM   #13
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much for sharing this story. Goes to show that it’s not always “just a watch.”
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:53 AM   #14
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Well said OP. Many special pieces that have meaning on my end as well.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 01:22 PM   #15
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

nice post. everything is about balance.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:13 PM   #16
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Great pieces! Just got myself the Pilot Travel Time 7234A too! A very useful feature ��
Newbie@SIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:16 PM   #17
Dapman
"TRF" Member

Loved reading your post - thank you!
Dapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 11:52 AM   #18
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Thanks, man. Well done.
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 04:13 PM   #19
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Thanks for sharing your story........

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 04:53 PM   #20
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
A nice story Busyboy.

The small decisions we make every day change the future.

Had your dad enjoyed himself more when he was younger you may not have been around to post this story today.

He made the best decisions for his family.

I have never sold or traded a watch and still have my 21st birthday present from my late mum and dad. A 1969 Roamer Mustang.

I inherited my dads only watch, a Seiko quartz.

The Seiko and the Roamer are the two most special watches I own.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 12:07 AM   #21
KWSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Great post! Thank you for sharing your story!
KWSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 06:21 PM   #22
gpf
Banned

Watch: My late fathers DD
I inherited my fathers much loved DD he wore everyday for 30 years. If you look at pictures of him you see his DD. Very special !
gpf is offline   Reply With Quote