The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 November 2019, 11:11 AM   #61
bzabodyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Maybe it's that kind of attitude that you are not getting the attention you crave.
Comments like this are why we need a LIKE button on this forum

As a client of Kelly Yoch’s after years of being ignored at my local boutique in Houston (which is now shut down) - I will say the personal level of service is beyond anything I’ve experienced. The game has obviously changed over the last few years with the growing popularity of certain watches in general - Rolex SS sport watches, AP RO, FPJ CB, etc - and the sales associates are in a predicament with not having enough stock to supply the growing demand. Society today is spoiled AF and thinks they can snap their fingers and get whatever they want when they want it for how much they want it. Maybe it’s not the sales associate that’s the issue - maybe it’s you the “client” with unrealistic expectations.

This issue is only going to get worse and those that continually complain about not getting this or that just need to figure out why they got into the hobby in general, enjoy what they have and can afford, and get back to the roots of what makes watch collecting fun. I own Seikos and Montas and Oak & Oscars next to Pateks and APs and don’t enjoy them any less. Egos are a bitch....

BZ
bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:22 AM   #62
dauster
"TRF" Member

Well maybe the average luxury customer just expects good service and doesn't want to educate himself online on what the appropriate expectations are - certainly doesn't hurt either but I can't get behind "the poor SA have to deal with needy and spoiled customers" maybe it's not the customer but SA and companies that should reevaluate how to properly treat their customers - Barneys is just another example of a company that bought too much into their own uniqueness/hype too much and now suffers the consequences (yes I know I am mixing a few things together here)

Buttom line is this: I feel like if you choose to be a SA for high-end luxury goods you should a) know your shit and b) be polite no matter what - I don't care how many people call you about a nautilus ....
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:29 AM   #63
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post

So they think I'm not worth their time? I beg to differ: they're not worth my money. Eff 'em.

Lovely. No wonder they don’t give you the attention you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:46 AM   #64
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Nothing wrong with showing up comfortable to shop in a fleece jacket and warm up or sweatpants.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 12:08 PM   #65
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
the PP guy at tiffany's in SF seems to be a really cool guy (alexandre I think), really into watches and fun to talk to, always fun chatting with him every once in a while. Don't have the budget to really spend enough there to get anything I like but definitely a cool guy. I had much worse experiences with the unsophisticated and clueless regular staff that helps with the jewelry (SF only).
Alexandre in San Francisco is #1! Knowledgeable, courteous, educating with +20 years in the watch industry. He lives and breathes PATEK!
Old 7 November 2019, 06:32 PM   #66
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well maybe the average luxury customer just expects good service and doesn't want to educate himself online on what the appropriate expectations are - certainly doesn't hurt either but I can't get behind "the poor SA have to deal with needy and spoiled customers" maybe it's not the customer but SA and companies that should reevaluate how to properly treat their customers - Barneys is just another example of a company that bought too much into their own uniqueness/hype too much and now suffers the consequences (yes I know I am mixing a few things together here)

Buttom line is this: I feel like if you choose to be a SA for high-end luxury goods you should a) know your shit and b) be polite no matter what - I don't care how many people call you about a nautilus ....
The average luxury customer who doesn't want to educate himself online will be treated very well at a Patek boutique because he won't go into a Patek boutique and ask for a Nautilus since he won't know what a Nautilus is. The average luxury customer will be happy to try on whatever watches are in the cases and the SA will be happy to show them to him. And everybody will be happy.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 06:43 PM   #67
sambb
"TRF" Member

is it possible to get a tiffanys 5227 at NY or LA boutique or shipped?
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:08 AM   #68
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
is it possible to get a tiffanys 5227 at NY or LA boutique or shipped?
When I walked into the LA boutique 6 months ago, there were plenty of Calatravas. I believe I saw a 5227
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:18 AM   #69
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Lovely. No wonder they don’t give you the attention you want.
Oh come on @GoingPlaces, I'm sure you know what I was getting at, and I'm also sure you understand the difference between "cause" and effect", which are basically as follows: (1) presumptuous and impertinent sales associates exist in many stores - and in some stores more than in others, and (2) presumptive and impertinent sales behavior (cause) will not earn my purchase (effect), and (3) fortunately, this is an easy problem to solve - I simply take my purchase elsewhere to an AD that is welcoming, engaging, warm, caring, and helpful to a person who walks into their store and may not look like the typical "prospective buyer" at first blush (like me), but actually is.

And to close the loop on this, I'll add one more point (4): the moment they (the sales associate) engages with me in a warm, welcoming and helpful manner they will find that I am also a warm, enthusiastic and generous person who is sincerely interested in Patek, and is also unfailingly considerate and sensitive of the associates's generous efforts to engage with me, and will not exploit the sincere and good faith they extend to me.

I hope this helps to clarify what should be fairly obvious. That's all. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:52 AM   #70
Mr Naultilus
Banned

Quote:
Oh come on @GoingPlaces, I'm sure you know what I was getting at, and I'm also sure you understand the difference between "cause" and effect", which are basically as follows: (1) presumptuous and impertinent sales associates exist in many stores - and in some stores more than in others, and (2) presumptive and impertinent sales behavior (cause) will not earn my purchase (effect), and (3) fortunately, this is an easy problem to solve - I simply take my purchase elsewhere to an AD that is welcoming, engaging, warm, caring, and helpful to a person who walks into their store and may not look like the typical "prospective buyer" at first blush (like me), but actually is.

And to close the loop on this, I'll add one more point (4): the moment they (the sales associate) engages with me in a warm, welcoming and helpful manner they will find that I am also a warm, enthusiastic and generous person who is sincerely interested in Patek, and is also unfailingly considerate and sensitive of the associates's generous efforts to engage with me, and will not exploit the sincere and good faith they extend to me.

I totally get what you are saying

I've been to NYC and went into Tiffany's and not 1 person came out and asked if I was ok or needed any help, in fact it was like a morgue, quite soul destroying actually, so I did think I'd play with them and ask about the co branding etc , asked if I could try on a watch , and it was only when I took my watch off which was under a jumper , did attitudes change , but by then it was to late

Unfortunately it also happens In the UK and all.over Europe even In Belgrade yesterday when I popped into a AP AD

So my advice not that you need it is to stick with your helpful AD ,. A T Stamp only spoils the watch in my opinion anyway
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:11 AM   #71
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
I dress like a complete schlub. I’ve been welcomed at every watch dealer I’ve ever been to in 25 years of watch collecting. The degree of welcome varies of course and that can impact my loyalty or buying practices. But I can’t help but wonder if some people have to high of expectations on how they will be treated. At the end of the day people have good days and bad days. If you happen to catch a salesperson on an off day a little compassion goes a long way. I’m a huge fan of Tiffany NYC. I’ve had times when I’ve walked in and it has felt a little dead and other times it’s been the best retail experience I’ve had in watches. To expect them to be on their A+ game at all times every minute in case someone steps off an elevator seems unreasonable. To expect them to politely assist you, answer questions, be knowledgeable of the product, and let you try anything on is reasonable. They have ALWAYS for a decade now done this at a minimum and often much more. Their team are passionate about Patek and I appreciate having them as a great AD option.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:14 AM   #72
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
Perfectly said

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzabodyn View Post
Comments like this are why we need a LIKE button on this forum

As a client of Kelly Yoch’s after years of being ignored at my local boutique in Houston (which is now shut down) - I will say the personal level of service is beyond anything I’ve experienced. The game has obviously changed over the last few years with the growing popularity of certain watches in general - Rolex SS sport watches, AP RO, FPJ CB, etc - and the sales associates are in a predicament with not having enough stock to supply the growing demand. Society today is spoiled AF and thinks they can snap their fingers and get whatever they want when they want it for how much they want it. Maybe it’s not the sales associate that’s the issue - maybe it’s you the “client” with unrealistic expectations.

This issue is only going to get worse and those that continually complain about not getting this or that just need to figure out why they got into the hobby in general, enjoy what they have and can afford, and get back to the roots of what makes watch collecting fun. I own Seikos and Montas and Oak & Oscars next to Pateks and APs and don’t enjoy them any less. Egos are a bitch....

BZ
Perfectly said!
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:25 AM   #73
wtolly05
"TRF" Member

You don't seem to get causality

Quote:
Oh come on GoingPlaces, I'm sure you know what I was getting at, and I'm also sure you understand the difference between "cause" and effect", which are basically as follows: (1) presumptuous and impertinent sales associates exist in many stores - and in some stores more than in others, and (2) presumptive and impertinent sales behavior (cause) will not earn my purchase (effect), and (3) fortunately, this is an easy problem to solve - I simply take my purchase elsewhere to an AD that is welcoming, engaging, warm, caring, and helpful to a person who walks into their store and may not look like the typical "prospective buyer" at first blush (like me), but actually is.

I guess I don't really think you understand causality. You're setting yourself up, intentionally, for a lack of interaction, and then complaining about that experience.

Is this an approach you'd expect to be fruitful picking up girls at a bar? Making connections at a networking event? Having conversation at a dinner party?

Intentionally moping around, acting weird ("locking eyes with a salesperson" while saying nothing, for instance), and being the quiet, shy guy isn't exactly kindling for a roaring fire of conversation.

Don't even get me started on the "once I rolled up my sleeves and showed them my watch-cum-phallic-symbol did they know I MEAN BUSINESS" routine you pulled. How absurd.

The Patek salon at Tiffany isn't your typical watch retailer. This isn't Watches of Switzerland or Govberg or your local AD where you've got six to eight different brands with 98% uneducated or neophyte customers, and sales people looking to hound those folks to buy a $5,000 TAG. The customers there, true customers, know why they're there, will openly engage upon arrival with whomever is on the floor, or their specific relationship, and talk about watches. They don't walk around silently, brooding over a lack of attention. There are usually only 10-12 pieces in the cases these days! What the hell are you browsing for, anyway?

If you expect that you MUST be engaged first, in any setting, you're probably not going to get the results you want.
wtolly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 03:42 AM   #74
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would only buy from Tiffany if they have a piece you want and they will sell it to you. I personally do not care for after factory alterations even if done by PP in NYC. Then you add in the fact people have posted here that their T stamps may be off or crooked. How hard can it be to put the stamp on right?
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 03:59 AM   #75
CoyoteCreekCir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the PP guy at tiffany's in SF seems to be a really cool guy (alexandre I think), really into watches and fun to talk to, always fun chatting with him every once in a while. Don't have the budget to really spend enough there to get anything I like but definitely a cool guy. I had much worse experiences with the unsophisticated and clueless regular staff that helps with the jewelry (SF only).
Alexandre is the best guy if you wanted to purchase a Patek or just chat with him about watches. He truly has a passion and he loves what he does.
CoyoteCreekCir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 04:23 AM   #76
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Anyone gotten a small discount off MSRP at Tiffany? I heard no but not even 5-10%? :) How about sales tax?
Old 8 November 2019, 05:29 AM   #77
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

"Good service" is a function of customer preference. I worked in luxury retail back in the day, and had many customers get hostile over simply greeting them. Some customers just prefer to browse in peace. So I sympathize when some SAs wait for me to directly engage -- I don't see it as a sign of them being rude or condescending.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 05:40 AM   #78
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
"Good service" is a function of customer preference. I worked in luxury retail back in the day, and had many customers get hostile over simply greeting them. Some customers just prefer to browse in peace. So I sympathize when some SAs wait for me to directly engage -- I don't see it as a sign of them being rude or condescending.
I am kind of like that. I like seeing stuff and browsing on my own.

That said - if you approached me with bottled water, booze, caviar, or some sort of yummy snack; I like.
Old 8 November 2019, 05:44 AM   #79
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
That said - if you approached me with bottled water, booze, caviar, or some sort of yummy snack; I like.
I never turn down champagne!
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 05:56 AM   #80
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Anyone gotten a small discount off MSRP at Tiffany? I heard no but not even 5-10%? :) How about sales tax?
The only way to avoid sales tax is if you live in a tax-free state like Oregon in the West coast. I've heard of ppl from CA that will rent a box or use an address of a family member in Oregon in order to avoid having sales tax on expensive purchase items. They figure it is a lot cheaper to fly to Oregon to pick-up an order and visit family members while there than to pay sales tax on purchases.
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 06:11 AM   #81
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No, no discount. Don't let that stop you from asking, though.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:28 AM   #82
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve heard NY does discounts
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:32 PM   #83
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have never been a fan of Tiffany, and the T-scamp does nothing for me, actually I find it rather pretentious but that's just my opinion (the watch is not a Tiffany, it's a Patek - I don't like when my car dealer slaps their logo on the license plate frame or trunk either).

That said, I've been to the NYC flagship Patek room and the Atlanta store many times. Being in tech, I always run the same test: I show up looking very casual in jeans, sneakers etc and a Patek under long sleeves. They typically don't give me the time of day (particularly in the NYC store). Then I look at a sales associate and lock eyes - still nothing. Then I walk up, roll up my sleeve and ask a specific question about a specific model - only then do they acknowledge my existence.

At that point I try on many references, waste their time, knowing I'll just buy elsewhere.

So they think I'm not worth their time? I beg to differ: they're not worth my money. Eff 'em.
You cannot be serious....why do you do any of that?

Just ask the SA to see the watch, try it on and either buy it or don't...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:04 PM   #84
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
You cannot be serious....why do you do any of that?

Just ask the SA to see the watch, try it on and either buy it or don't
What a bizarre strategy

I walk into a store say hello to a sales assistant, see if there is anything I want to try on, and if there is ask can I try said watch on. Maybe because it is how I am dressed (very casual; jeans, shorts, even at times flip-flops) or what I am wearing on my wrist (sometimes nothing), I have a 100% success rate of being able to try on any watch I want. I thought such an approach was common sense, but instead I should play games and run a test to see if a story is worthy of me
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:55 PM   #85
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
What a bizarre strategy

I walk into a store say hello to a sales assistant, see if there is anything I want to try on, and if there is ask can I try said watch on. Maybe because it is how I am dressed (very casual; jeans, shorts, even at times flip-flops) or what I am wearing on my wrist (sometimes nothing), I have a 100% success rate of being able to try on any watch I want. I thought such an approach was common sense, but instead I should play games and run a test to see if a story is worthy of me
Completely agree...when you go visit an AD you should be there for a purpose which in this case is looking for watches or inquiring about one. I’m not there to stroll around and flash my bling to let them know I have the means to acquire one... I have better things to do than show off at ADs my Patek and get upset if they don’t acknowledge me without one. No wonder the SS Pateks are in such high demand...too many wanna be show offs.
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 03:28 PM   #86
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Completely agree...when you go visit an AD you should be there for a purpose which in this case is looking for watches or inquiring about one. I’m not there to stroll around and flash my bling to let them know I have the means to acquire one... I have better things to do than show off at ADs my Patek and get upset if they don’t acknowledge me without one. No wonder the SS Pateks are in such high demand...too many wanna be show offs.

It's such ridiculous behavior that it's completely indefensible.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 03:58 PM   #87
Josh1000
Banned

I dont need a watch on my wrist to be mobbed by sales assistants when I browse. Even when casually dressed I am impeccably turned out in the finest cloth and exude an air of authority and power. It's a terrible burden that I carry but do so stoically.....I find all the fawning very embarrassing as it makes other customers feel inferior...
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 05:33 PM   #88
Analysing You
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
I dont need a watch on my wrist to be mobbed by sales assistants when I browse. Even when casually dressed I am impeccably turned out in the finest cloth and exude an air of authority and power. It's a terrible burden that I carry but do so stoically.....I find all the fawning very embarrassing as it makes other customers feel inferior...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 12:00 AM   #89
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen (and the few ladies that frequent here): I'm sure most of you have experienced presumptuous, haughty, insolent and impertinent sales associates in high-end luxury stores at least once in your lives. I.e. kind of like in the movies (pretty woman, etc).

That sort of thing does in fact happen out there, in some stores more than others. It often happens in response to apparent youth, apparent lack of economic stature, apparent lack of ability to purchase, etc.

I'm referring to situations I've experienced when I go into the store, see the piece I was looking for in the case, seek assistance and find it unusually challenging get an associate to give me the time of day - even upon kind, considerate and sincere request.

It's not that they're busy with other customers or anything else. It's that in these isolated cases, the associate clearly isn't taking me seriously - until they notice evidence to the contrary (e.g., a Patek on my wrist), and then their demeanor changes instantly.

This type of sales associate does in fact exist out there. In my personal opinion, I find this both unacceptable (I'll buy elsewhere) and unfortunate (they miss out on a possible sale).

The good news is that there are plenty of stores and sales associates where this sort of thing does not happen. My AD is one of them. It's always been a pleasure to engage and work with them, a clear mutual respect and mutual appreciation and enthusiasm, even the first time I set foot in their store. And there are many other stores/associates out there that are just as wonderful, kind, sincere and helpful to work with.

Anyway, I thought the point I was making across my earlier posts on this thread was obvious. Apparently not. I apologize for ruffling feathers around here. That was not my intent at all.

Have a good day everybody, cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 03:54 AM   #90
dauster
"TRF" Member

I totally agree with your statement and just like in other forums there always seems to be a lot of mocking and statements like " well, if you are only browsing and not really buying why should the SA even bother " are being thrown around - frankly I find these statements quite puzzling... and no I was not quoting anyone here in particular.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote