The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 December 2019, 09:52 PM   #181
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 964RS View Post
The thing is Jed they know you very well and the rare pieces you have so were probably being prudent wanting to check thoroughly anyway - there's been a number of mistakes where they haven't at RSCs so Geneva seem to be very cautious these days.

Did you not ask them when you took the blue one in IF they ever made other blue ones, rather than presuming that's why they checked it? Is it possible to check with the same people now who confirmed it was fake if there are others that are not and when/where/how they were made? You have good connections to ask....
I would guess Rolex wanted to check over the whole watch , after all they would look silly letting a vintage piece go out with a thumbs up if it has an aftermarket dial on it . So they like to take their time in appraising things .
If they indeed took several weeks to determine a bezel insert it does then raise questions .The main appraiser might of been on holiday ! If not , who was/were the appraiser/s ? Have they previously identified any of these inserts as genuine as obviously to determine what is fake you must have experience of what is genuine. Can they confirm or deny their existence . It surely must be possible to obtain a definitive answer on this and I cant undertsand why it hasnt already been done .
There is a chance Rolex are embarrassed as some genuine inserts possibly escaped through a back door from a research /Dev department and they are keeping their mouths and channels firmly closed as aftermarket producers got wind and set the wheels in motion...
All thought for more debate!
Old 3 December 2019, 10:47 PM   #182
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Horology and Theology share some common celestial cerebration.

Deeply held beliefs defy verification through debate.

Debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin can disappoint.

Proof is in the eye of the beholder.

A new question - if Rolex played around in the skunkworks with all blue aluminum GMT inserts, wouldn’t they also have played with all red?

Just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 4 December 2019, 12:51 AM   #183
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
What authority at all does BobsWatches have?
none for me.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 4 December 2019, 02:26 AM   #184
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

A new question - if Rolex played around in the skunkworks with all blue aluminum GMT inserts, wouldn’t they also have played with all red?

Just thinking out loud.

Oops. Don’t give anyone ideas. We might start seeing a raspberry insert commissioned by the Queen of England, unbeknownst to all of us for the last 40 years...
Old 4 December 2019, 02:30 AM   #185
exador
Banned

Quote:
Horology and Theology share some common celestial cerebration.

Deeply held beliefs defy verification through debate.
Yes, I see a piece of The Baby Jesus’s Manger has just been returned to Bethlehem in time for Christmas

Old 4 December 2019, 04:26 AM   #186
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
Oops. Don’t give anyone ideas. We might start seeing a raspberry insert commissioned by the Queen of England, unbeknownst to all of us for the last 40 years...

Old 4 December 2019, 04:29 AM   #187
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Just thinking out loud.

Looks like they played with Green!!

Instagram: @lee1563
Old 4 December 2019, 04:33 AM   #188
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Looks like they played with Green!!

And definitely succeeded for the Sub many years later.

Also did the solid Brown insert for early Root Beers.

Old 4 December 2019, 05:13 AM   #189
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The thing is Jed they know you very well and the rare pieces you have so were probably being prudent wanting to check thoroughly anyway - there's been a number of mistakes where they haven't at RSCs so Geneva seem to be very cautious these days.

Did you not ask them when you took the blue one in IF they ever made other blue ones, rather than presuming that's why they checked it? Is it possible to check with the same people now who confirmed it was fake if there are others that are not and when/where/how they were made? You have good connections to ask....
No Jason I didnt directly say those words as the whole jist of the conversation was ‘we have to be careful as there are many fake ones around ( no surprise there ) .... if they simply didn’t exist that conversation makes zero sense ...

I should preface by saying I first took it to Rolex Australia who , as they usually do with valuable pieces before accepting them for service thouroughly inspected , stripped and sent detailed macro photos to Geneva for approval to service ..... at which point Geneva said it’d have to come to them for inspection of the bezel before it could be done with that bezel on. .... again makes little sense if they coulda said we never made blue bezels ‘

On the other , question asked ... total radio silenced far ....... I feel for Isabelle Humm if she did write that letter , which still no one has commented on why it’s been removed by the original poster , she may be in a whole heap of trouble with the Rolex lawyers as AAkvipers isn’t the only one that has previously been accepted for service ( and documented ) ... that’s a whole liability issue that as you well know Jas they’ll bend over backwards to avoid .... hence my surprise as to the existence of that letter ( regardless of of its true or not )
Old 4 December 2019, 05:13 AM   #190
shoota70
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
The title of the post is misleading.

Nowhere does the letter state that these all-blue inserts are fake. It just says GMTs were never produced with them, which ties in with the common notion that they are service parts.

I don't have a dog in this fight either way, but this letter doesn't stand up as conclusive evidence for the OP's assertion.

As you were.
Why would they make a service part for a part they never made?
G-Shock GW9400
Old 4 December 2019, 05:45 AM   #191
gsg
"TRF" Member

Why would they all start surfacing from the early 2000's?
Old 4 December 2019, 05:46 AM   #192
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota70 View Post
Why would they make a service part for a part they never made?
Excellent point. Is there any service part, for any Rolex reference in its entire history, that is completely different in design/color to the item it's replacing? Maybe the closest would be a luminova dial replacing a tritium dial, but that just speaks to function, not design/color.
Old 4 December 2019, 05:56 AM   #193
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Excellent point. Is there any service part, for any Rolex reference in its entire history, that is completely different in design/color to the item it's replacing? Maybe the closest would be a luminova dial replacing a tritium dial, but that just speaks to function, not design/color.
Service inserts rarely look identical to the originals unless the inserts happen to be leftover from the original manufacturing run. Tritium service dials also typically differ from the originals. Service hands, even tritium, are typically white gold rather than rhodium plated steel unless you happen to find something truly NOS. Service bracelets also rarely match the originals 1:1 unless, again, they're leftover from the same era.

If only one run of blue inserts was made then both the originals and service replacements would match 1:1. And, if they were never made for public release then they might not have a service part number or be sitting alongside current service stock.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:07 AM   #194
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlf View Post
“To the best of our knowledge” means they don’t have a badgers.

Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 4 December 2019, 06:09 AM   #195
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Regarding that no mentions of it in service manuals have surfaced:

Is the 60min bezel insert for milsubs mentioned in any service manuals?
Old 4 December 2019, 06:27 AM   #196
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Service inserts rarely look identical to the originals unless the inserts happen to be leftover from the original manufacturing run. Tritium service dials also typically differ from the originals. Service hands, even tritium, are typically white gold rather than rhodium plated steel unless you happen to find something truly NOS. Service bracelets also rarely match the originals 1:1 unless, again, they're leftover from the same era.

If only one run of blue inserts was made then both the originals and service replacements would match 1:1. And, if they were never made for public release then they might not have a service part number or be sitting alongside current service stock.

Just thinking out loud.
Not sure I buy that argument. Those changes on service parts are relatively minor differences, and usually were made to improve functionality or longevity of the part. Making a service part in a different color than the original is a major design change that only pertains to aesthetics, not function. I can't think of an equivalent example.
Old 4 December 2019, 06:35 AM   #197
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

I have been asking myself that

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg View Post
Why would they all start surfacing from the early 2000's?

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Old 4 December 2019, 06:40 AM   #198
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Not sure I buy that argument. Those changes on service parts are relatively minor differences, and usually were made to improve functionality or longevity of the part. Making a service part in a different color than the original is a major design change that only pertains to aesthetics, not function. I can't think of an equivalent example.
But, if the blue insert was made as a short run and in the same factory that Rolex contracted at the time, both "service" parts and "random, floating around" parts could coexist. And, the so-called service parts might not have ever made it into packaged and stocked form. Personally, I think calling them service parts is a misnomer as I doubt they were ever stocked (assuming they're real vs. fake).

It's also very possible that someone in the original factory (again, contracted by Rolex but not sanctioned by Rolex) could have thrown blue ink in a batch run meant to print black and ended up with a thousand or so blue inserts. Eventually they made circulation and here we are today. Some have since been faked but the ones suspected to be real sure look identical to the same era of black inserts.

I'm not arguing for or against but simply thinking out loud on possibilities.

And, as mentioned above, it's not like Milsub inserts are still available. Everything known is thought to be out in circulation and not a single insert left inside Rolex. That does seem to be a fitting comparison.
Old 4 December 2019, 07:12 AM   #199
southtexas

Quote:
But, if the blue insert was made as a short run and in the same factory that Rolex contracted at the time, both "service" parts and "random, floating around" parts could coexist. And, the so-called service parts might not have ever made it into packaged and stocked form. Personally, I think calling them service parts is a misnomer as I doubt they were ever stocked (assuming they're real vs. fake).

It's also very possible that someone in the original factory (again, contracted by Rolex but not sanctioned by Rolex) could have thrown blue ink in a batch run meant to print black and ended up with a thousand or so blue inserts. Eventually they made circulation and here we are today. Some have since been faked but the ones suspected to be real sure look identical to the same era of black inserts.

I'm not arguing for or against but simply thinking out loud on possibilities.

And, as mentioned above, it's not like Milsub inserts are still available. Everything known is thought to be out in circulation and not a single insert left inside Rolex. That does seem to be a fitting comparison.

But now are you theorizing that “real” equals made in the same factory as Rolex parts happen to be made, even if Rolex didn’t contract/intend for them to be made?

I have no dog in this fight, I’ve never bought or sold a blue one; I just find it fascinating.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Old 4 December 2019, 07:58 AM   #200
Mrpupsi
"TRF" Member

Usually with these older Rolex’s, people have come forward and say ‘That’s how I bought it’, or ‘when it was serviced they swapped it out for a blue insert’. Nobody has done so as far as I’m aware.

It’s hard to believe with the wealth of knowledge and contacts on here, that nobody knows of anybody that bought one of these originally.
Old 4 December 2019, 07:59 AM   #201
Mrpupsi
"TRF" Member

Usually with these older Rolex’s, people have come forward and say ‘That’s how I bought it’, or ‘when it was serviced they swapped it out for a blue insert’. Nobody has done so as far as I’m aware.

It’s hard to believe with the wealth of knowledge and contacts on here, that nobody knows of anybody that bought one of these originally.
Old 4 December 2019, 08:01 AM   #202
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Regarding that no mentions of it in service manuals have surfaced:

Is the 60min bezel insert for milsubs mentioned in any service manuals?
They were special watches made for military usage, with welded pin holes and usually on a Nato, you can't compare the two. Whilst one the subject, you don't see any Comex in the brochures either.
Old 4 December 2019, 08:30 AM   #203
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
But now are you theorizing that “real” equals made in the same factory as Rolex parts happen to be made, even if Rolex didn’t contract/intend for them to be made?

I have no dog in this fight, I’ve never bought or sold a blue one; I just find it fascinating.
Hypothesizing as a possibility on how these might have been made, sure. I'm not picking a side, however.

This is almost like debating extraterrestrial life. Almost.
Old 4 December 2019, 08:31 AM   #204
southtexas

Quote:
Hypothesizing as a possibility on how these might have been made, sure. I'm not picking a side, however.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Old 4 December 2019, 08:33 AM   #205
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
So if I may, years ago GM contracted out the production of Retail window stickers, not unlike the use of Rolex from time to time to use different places to contract say dials, bezels etc. In the GM case some Dealers contacted the window sticker supplier and asked f they could order their OWN window sticker as long as they verified the required information with one small adjustment, they wanted a different MFG Suggested Retail Price (and not lower either!) This went on for a number of years.
So someone contacts a bezel supplier and requests the identical bezel except in say only one colour like blue for use as service replacements?? ( You could make a made for TV special out of this!!)

R
Old 4 December 2019, 10:15 AM   #206
964RS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Something vintage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
No Jason I didnt directly say those words as the whole jist of the conversation was ‘we have to be careful as there are many fake ones around ( no surprise there ) .... if they simply didn’t exist that conversation makes zero sense ...

I should preface by saying I first took it to Rolex Australia who , as they usually do with valuable pieces before accepting them for service thouroughly inspected , stripped and sent detailed macro photos to Geneva for approval to service ..... at which point Geneva said it’d have to come to them for inspection of the bezel before it could be done with that bezel on. .... again makes little sense if they coulda said we never made blue bezels ‘

On the other , question asked ... total radio silenced far ....... I feel for Isabelle Humm if she did write that letter , which still no one has commented on why it’s been removed by the original poster , she may be in a whole heap of trouble with the Rolex lawyers as AAkvipers isn’t the only one that has previously been accepted for service ( and documented ) ... that’s a whole liability issue that as you well know Jas they’ll bend over backwards to avoid .... hence my surprise as to the existence of that letter ( regardless of of its true or not )
That's fair enough mate. I was just asking if you had asked directly the question, but seems not. We all know that a jist of a conversation can be interpreted different ways depending who is speaking and how what is being said is being interpreted. Be interesting to know if they come back and confirm one way or another but I expect they won't.....

Even IF they did it's hard to know which ones are real and which ones are fake now....most of the proof is based on dealer heresay now....
Old 4 December 2019, 12:09 PM   #207
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's fair enough mate. I was just asking if you had asked directly the question, but seems not. We all know that a jist of a conversation can be interpreted different ways depending who is speaking and how what is being said is being interpreted. Be interesting to know if they come back and confirm one way or another but I expect they won't.....

Even IF they did it's hard to know which ones are real and which ones are fake now....most of the proof is based on dealer heresay now....
Agreed
Old 4 December 2019, 01:29 PM   #208
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
As promised Blue GMT hands!
O FFS, only 2 in existence..
Old 4 December 2019, 02:53 PM   #209
mzinski
"TRF" Member

Watch: Honeycomb 6605
Wow! Amazing debate and fascinating 7 pages of reading. I think we’ll all go back and forth until we’re blue in the face. Really, if we truly want to know if these blue insert are real or have any market value we need the one and only source, the most influential of all, the last word in all things watches...

What does Hodinkee say???
Old 4 December 2019, 02:56 PM   #210
gsg
"TRF" Member

I thought it was funny to rewatch this old Hodinkee video where they discuss the blue bezel gmt. It seems all the owners have bought into the story with a blind faith and like to repeat the same facts over and over...

Blueberry conversation starts at 6:18:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...s-keegan-allen
Closed Thread