The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2015, 12:36 AM   #151
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamiltonwa View Post
We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.
Speak for yourself...! If you have the money sitting in a bank account, with these FANTASTIC interest rates right now, versus the cost of living...you are actually losing money! I would rather wear the money on my wrist, enjoying the watch and if need be, sell the piece and make most of my money back!

Glad to see you picked up the sub, congrats!

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 02:44 PM   #152
rollerball

Just tell them its a fake one.
rollerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 03:10 PM   #153
goyo
"TRF" Member

The truth, thanks for sharing.

On a side note, wondering what Chuck wears on the wrist...

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarinda View Post
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past, we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude.
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it...”

~ Charles Swindoll
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2015, 03:09 PM   #154
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I think people do notice, but don't typically comment.

I got my Rolex 14 years ago. I haven't had to "explain" it to anyone. If you can afford one, and don't have to go into debt (or have your kids forgo necessary medical treatment) then go for it.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2015, 09:52 PM   #155
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec51 View Post
Speak for yourself...! If you have the money sitting in a bank account, with these FANTASTIC interest rates right now, versus the cost of living...you are actually losing money! I would rather wear the money on my wrist, enjoying the watch and if need be, sell the piece and make most of my money back!

Glad to see you picked up the sub, congrats!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2015, 10:50 PM   #156
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
Quote:
It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Do you have to explain a new car, new lawn mower, new shoes or jacket? It is your money spent it as you see fit.
Old 16 February 2015, 03:02 AM   #157
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!
Here's a practical suggestion:

Buy a Seiko SKX007. Wear that for a few weeks. Your nosy friends and family will notice and you can show them your new $200 watch.

Then swap it out for the Submariner and don't say anything.

(Optionally, just keep wearing it and save seven grand.)
springbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2015, 03:09 AM   #158
Rolexbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhuntington View Post
I see what your saying, but you'll only have to have that awkward conversation once. Say you just wanted to treat yourself. You only live once and cant take it with you. Also your talking about a watch under 8k, how many of the people in your life blow 30-40k plus on a car that will loose most it's value in 5-6 years. Your purchase, if you buy right, won't loose any value and could go up! Buy the watch.
THIS
Rolexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote