The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2014, 05:23 AM   #61
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucksboss View Post
I gook a serious fall and did far worse to a gold Yacht Master. Took it too RSC in London when I lived there. They took it in....it looked terrible!
Collected a couple of weeks later....IT LOOKED PERFECT...ABSOLUTELY LOOKING BRAND SPANKING NEW!

Ps...I also dropped a watch. Thought it was OK. Few years layer noticed discoloring on hands. Took in back to Panerai and was advised that athough appeared OK a seal had been compromised. It got fixed ...dont assume anything Id get it checked that was wuite a bang.
Good luck.
you mean your yacht master casing was dented as well? and rsc managed to make it look like new? without evident lose of material from the casing?
hbk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 05:35 AM   #62
Starbucksboss
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk75 View Post
you mean your yacht master casing was dented as well? and rsc managed to make it look like new? without evident lose of material from the casing?
Thats exactly correct.
Starbucksboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 05:46 AM   #63
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Thats exactly correct.
how did they do that? my mechanical engineering knowledge told me that is remotely impossible.
Old 20 April 2014, 05:58 AM   #64
red98a4ss
"TRF" Member

Rik Dietel

http://timecareinc.com/
red98a4ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 06:03 AM   #65
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
OUCH! What a bummer! I hope you get it back to they pre-dent look. Best of Luck.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 08:32 AM   #66
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyones time and knowledge, ive been looking at similar repairs and its really put my mind at ease. I had originally thought it wouldn't be repairable.
Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 11:17 AM   #67
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
It just adds to the watch's character. Don't worry about it.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 11:58 AM   #68
Starbucksboss
Banned

Quote:
how did they do that? my mechanical engineering knowledge told me that is remotely impossible.
No need to be smug or immature including ROLF?

It was repaired back to perfect condition
Starbucksboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 12:01 PM   #69
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Hey! Hey! You dented my ride! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuZHyW-iGI
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 12:07 PM   #70
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Oh man it burns it burns. I hope you get it fixed.
Old 20 April 2014, 12:42 PM   #71
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
crystal cost few hundreds to replace. a steel rolex mid case cost USD $3400 to replace.
I'm well aware of the difference in the cost of repairs, Mr. Giggles...and I'm not sure what your point is, or what a steel case has to do with the cost of rice in China. His watch is gold. My point was, you'd need to look through a big gouge on the crystal everytime you check the time, and if you happen to use the watch for diving, it may compromise its integrity. A little dent on the rear of the case, on the other hand is pretty much unnoticeable.when wearing the watch, and does not affect its function in any way.
Old 20 April 2014, 01:46 PM   #72
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Sorry to hear that happened and sounds like can be repaired

I have a similar "ding" on my WG sub and after the initial shock, I got more concerned with what the repair involved and finally decided to live with it till a major service

Hope you find peace!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 02:01 PM   #73
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I say leave it until your next service.

I smacked my sub into a door frame and it dented the corner of the lug. At first I didn't want to have my sub polished come service time -- but now, I kind of want to have the lug fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7853.jpg (59.1 KB, 676 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7854.jpg (60.9 KB, 674 views)

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2014, 05:32 PM   #74
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
I'm well aware of the difference in the cost of repairs, Mr. Giggles...and I'm not sure what your point is, or what a steel case has to do with the cost of rice in China. His watch is gold. My point was, you'd need to look through a big gouge on the crystal everytime you check the time, and if you happen to use the watch for diving, it may compromise its integrity. A little dent on the rear of the case, on the other hand is pretty much unnoticeable.when wearing the watch, and does not affect its function in any way.
That sounds like it if a rolex owner buys the watch and treated it like a time machine. But majority of the luxury watch owners don't. Probably they will keep focusing on the dented part of the watch until it gets sorted out. And that will probably take away the fun of owning the watch. I've seen many cases here where a watch case gets repaired and the owner sold it off after collecting it back from repair. Rolex are no longer priced at the tool watch category like they used to be in the 1960-90's.
Old 20 April 2014, 09:57 PM   #75
Perrinyanna
"TRF" Member

Check out michael youngs website in hk. I believe i saw some case restorations in steel in their website but not yet on gold. Maybe you can shoot him an email showing pics.
Perrinyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 05:17 AM   #76
LandLawMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Marco Milandri BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
A decent goldsmith could fill it and repolish but you might have to sacrifice a spare link to get the same colour. Also this would probably upset RSC enough for them not to work on it as it would be seen as a non-authorised case modification. Can't imagine they're happy about laser welding either for steel pieces but it's an alternative to simply polishing it out or replacing the case.. which is probably what RSC would recommend - $$££$$s.
and

"They would not be able to tell if it was done correctly."

Wow, that's a scary thought -- that the RSC might refuse to work on a watch that has a dent in the case. **IS THIS TRUE**? Does anyone have a specific experience with this issue?

and

If Rolex uses high-speed x-ray with optical recognition like the TSA uses, then yes, I would think that they would easily be able to tell that the case has been heated, molded, welded, even just reshaped (because the density of the metal would be different and immediately apparent to high-tech scanners). I wonder if they do in fact use x-ray scanners when watches come in for repairs.
LandLawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 05:43 AM   #77
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLawMan View Post
and

"They would not be able to tell if it was done correctly."

Wow, that's a scary thought -- that the RSC might refuse to work on a watch that has a dent in the case. **IS THIS TRUE**? Does anyone have a specific experience with this issue?

and

If Rolex uses high-speed x-ray with optical recognition like the TSA uses, then yes, I would think that they would easily be able to tell that the case has been heated, molded, welded, even just reshaped (because the density of the metal would be different and immediately apparent to high-tech scanners). I wonder if they do in fact use x-ray scanners when watches come in for repairs.
I think they almost certainly don't use anything high tech to detect anything. The RSC is a high speed refinishing operation designed to make lots of money.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 01:12 PM   #78
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
To be perfectly honest, I'd just leave it. It's not like it's a big gouge out of the crystal or anything.
Translation, you damaged one of the most expensive parts of your watch but don't worry it could be worse, you could have damaged one of the cheaper and much easier fixed parts of your watch makes perfect sense to me smh
Old 25 April 2014, 01:18 PM   #79
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
I gook a serious fall and did far worse to a gold Yacht Master. Took it too RSC in London when I lived there. They took it in....it looked terrible!
Collected a couple of weeks later....IT LOOKED PERFECT...ABSOLUTELY LOOKING BRAND SPANKING NEW!

Ps...I also dropped a watch. Thought it was OK. Few years layer noticed discoloring on hands. Took in back to Panerai and was advised that athough appeared OK a seal had been compromised. It got fixed ...dont assume anything Id get it checked that was wuite a bang.
Good luck.
I think an RSC is your best bet before you contact independent guys...they can laserweld as I had a friend here in the US here who bought a 116618 that had a similar dent and the RSC welded and polished it out flawlessly.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 01:48 PM   #80
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
Translation, you damaged one of the most expensive parts of your watch but don't worry it could be worse, you could have damaged one of the cheaper and much easier fixed parts of your watch makes perfect sense to me smh
cost is the main factor why most of us are being sad about. crystal cost 200 bucks to replace but casing cost as much as a new watch.
Old 25 April 2014, 01:54 PM   #81
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
cost is the main factor why most of us are being sad about. crystal cost 200 bucks to replace but casing cost as much as a new watch.
That's why I found it hilarious that someone would suggest not worrying because it's not the crystal which apparently would be far worse
Old 25 April 2014, 04:13 PM   #82
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralfarmer84 View Post
That's why I found it hilarious that someone would suggest not worrying because it's not the crystal which apparently would be far worse
i would not be that sad even if the bracelet was the item being smashed up. even when it cost alot more than the crystal.
Old 25 April 2014, 05:39 PM   #83
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
i would not be that sad even if the bracelet was the item being smashed up. even when it cost alot more than the crystal.
What is funny about any of this.

Good luck to the OP. Whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2014, 05:54 PM   #84
hbk75
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
What is funny about any of this.

Good lick to the OP. Whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted.
that means i am ok if the damage happens in other locations except the main casing.
Old 14 February 2015, 06:57 PM   #85
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

So i was back in the UK recently and went past a watch smith i usually use for random things, Russell Talerman in London. They offer laser welding and after checking out there work i let them repair my 116618 :O I can happily say i am really pleased with the out come! And because i was flying, they managed to get in done in 3 Days...

I didn't even have to give them a spare link as they use their own gold rod, Now i just have to be more careful as i probably shouldn't have it polished again for another 10 years lol.
Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 07:28 PM   #86
Boxcars
Banned

RSC your best bet. Their laser welding and lapping machines are second to none. They'll only do it within service though.
Boxcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 07:57 PM   #87
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Congrats Alex. They did a very nice job. I'm sure this has really been bugging you these many months. At least it turned-out perfect

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 08:41 PM   #88
Lol-x
Facilitator

Great result, can you share the approximate price they charged.
Well done, worth every penny when you get it brought back to 'as new'

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 08:46 PM   #89
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
I had a 14060 once ..dented 3x your size and had it polished even and sold it. Buyer never even questioned.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2015, 09:17 PM   #90
regnant
"TRF" Member

It looks like new and you can't tell there was a damage before,job nicely executed
Happy wearing