The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2014, 11:59 PM   #31
raky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
If you can afford it, go for it. Life is too short for regret.
raky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:10 AM   #32
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
The good news is most people don't notice watches... only others who are into watches, and then they will appreciate Rolex.
I agree. After rotating and flipping several Rolex and Tudor sport/tool watches over the past 44 years I can only recall only one comment about any of them in all that time. I find that even those who wear Rolexes or other fine brands don't notice other peoples' watches. OTOH if you make a point to show people the new watch the other subjects you mention may come up. I say go for the new watch that you want if you can truly afford it.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:17 AM   #33
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Watch: '87 Air King Date
No, it will be a Rolex if it is anything. I want the rolex movement. My Air King has a cyclops. One of the lesser reasons I'm not after the Sub Date is to go sans cyclops as a change. The AK will not be sold btw. If I ban myself from TRF ( and Hodinkee) it might be counter productive. Withdrawal can have all sorts of crazy side-effects. I might relapse and come back worse, and get a SD4000!😳. I really like those too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jhamiltonwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:18 AM   #34
flatmad
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
for me the question is, do you really like the watch, or like the process of buying the watch.
flatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:20 AM   #35
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
You are a grown man with your own money. I think you should do what you are comfortable with. I do have a feeling you will regret not getting the sub, especially once the price goes up (inevitable).

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:28 AM   #36
FlyingBarnet
"TRF" Member

It is a dilemma... My first was big step for me.. would it attract the wrong attention?, would I feel wrong wearing it? etc...
BUT, I'm glad I did it as everytime I see it under my sleeve I kind of smile to myself... thats what counts.
I've used the excuse 'Yeah - its a really good copy' a few times, then smiled inside again :-)

You could always look at the moon and wonder if you will ever go there, or look at the moon and say you've been there :-)

Buy it, enjoy it and if you need to sell it you'll have lost less than with a lot of other luxuries... then look at the moon ;-)
FlyingBarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:29 AM   #37
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
my family is always happy for me when I get something nice that makes me happy and me for them
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:38 AM   #38
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
You mention specifically your parents are in their later golden years. They have spanned an era where they have seen many changes in the world, have lived through wars, perhaps when there were food shortages, the electronic age & so forth. They are facing their mortality & luxury items have no place in their world. Thats normal for elderly adults. As most parents are, they want their children to make wise choices & an expensive watch isn't one of them. ;-) I wouldn't mention it around them, maybe not wear it when you go over. There isn't any point in having them worried or agitated. ;-)
You mention life being pretty good for you right now & that you've suppressed buying a watch for a "long long time", I think you should buy that watch. Perhaps don't wear it when you are around them. Is there a point to arguing with your parents to justify this purchase they clearly think is not a wise one? No. They are elderly. No matter that you are an adult, you are still their child. ;-) Or wear & not make any reference to it at all. If they notice, they notice.
My friends asked me why I got my 2nd Rolex...my answer... It makes me happy. :-)

Edited: I repeated myself in 2nd paragraph..LOL Still having my morning coffee. ;-/
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:40 AM   #39
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmad View Post
for me the question is, do you really like the watch, or like the process of buying the watch.

That bit is easy. I definitely like the watch very much, and the journey to picking the watch has been fun. This last phase has been the downside. I want to decide yay or nay and move on. I don't want to even go into the shop to try one on. No point. I'll love it, I'll love the glide lock clasp, the ceramic, the feel of the bracelet compared to my old AK. No, the processing will be done in my head. The shopping experience is not one I'll be needing to savour. The watch itself is what it's all about.

Apologies to all those getting bored with my pfaffing around and thanks so much. Every reply has had validity.

Old 7 November 2014, 12:44 AM   #40
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
The good news is most people don't notice watches... only others who are into watches, and then they will appreciate Rolex.
I'm not so sure about this. I routinely catch people stealing a lingering glimpse at my 116710 on the Metro in the DC area. Out of curiosity I'll try to sneak a peak at what they're wearing on their wrist and often it's nothing at all so they are clearly not watch people. These watches are beautiful and people appreciate that quality. On topic, I would think the only person you'd ever have to "explain" a purchase to would be your significant other.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:45 AM   #41
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
You know, that's actually one thing that's never crossed my mind. The only one in my family who's ever brought up the fact that I'm wearing one is my dad. He collects chainsaws & one day at the cottage while we were in the bush clearing a path, he asked me if I'd care to "put that Rolex to a REAL torture test" (while revving one of his chainsaws).
Old 7 November 2014, 12:46 AM   #42
datejusting
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Can't imagine leaving an Airking that you have worn for 25 years at home for a new watch that you just bought. Sort of like sneaking out on the wife with a woman you just met.
datejusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:00 AM   #43
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Pretty certain is like kinda pregnant. Either you am or you ain't.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:01 AM   #44
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejusting View Post
Can't imagine leaving an Airking that you have worn for 25 years at home for a new watch that you just bought. Sort of like sneaking out on the wife with a woman you just met.
LOVE THIS POST.....
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:02 AM   #45
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
my family is always happy for me when I get something nice that makes me happy and me for them

This made me smile. You are right of course. My folks aren't ogres ( and I know that was nowhere near your point) but they are sharp as tacks. Yes, they'd tease me for my vanity and then be happy for me. I smiled because I reckon if I was a heart surgeon they'd high five each other and buy me the watch! 😄😊😊

Old 7 November 2014, 01:04 AM   #46
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Stretch for the best, or else why save for anything. "My tastes are simple, only the best will do" - Oscar Wilde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
I love the Tudor sub for this exact reason...you know what it is but most others do not. I regret selling my 2. Now prices on them keep climbing to the point where you ask yourself if you really want a Tudor or just stretch very slightly to the Rolex.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:06 AM   #47
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
wow. Chainsaws. I guess it is true that whatever object you can imagine, someone, somewhere, collects them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
You know, that's actually one thing that's never crossed my mind. The only one in my family who's ever brought up the fact that I'm wearing one is my dad. He collects chainsaws & one day at the cottage while we were in the bush clearing a path, he asked me if I'd care to "put that Rolex to a REAL torture test" (while revving one of his chainsaws).
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:10 AM   #48
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Go for it!
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:17 AM   #49
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
Do what makes you happy and don't worry about what others might think.
Old 7 November 2014, 01:18 AM   #50
J.Armando
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCASANOVA View Post
X2.... It seems like all the unwanted attention could ruin your enjoyment.

However, you could trade in the Air-King and therefore you just upgraded.
J.Armando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:19 AM   #51
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

do it
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:24 AM   #52
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
OP: seriously? Get the new watch already, stop worrying about others.
Rondineli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:25 AM   #53
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
wow. Chainsaws. I guess it is true that whatever object you can imagine, someone, somewhere, collects them.
Yeah, we're French Canadians... The lumberjack blood runs thick in our veins.
Old 7 November 2014, 01:27 AM   #54
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Is it your life or theirs?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:27 AM   #55
gliderpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: your attitude
SS Rolex cost is negligible in the great scheme of things (not to mention that it somewhat holds its value). Compare it with the car depreciation you paid over the past 25 years, for example. If you love it and it makes you feel good every day for the next 30 years or so, go for it. 30 years from now you will be glad you did :-)

gliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:36 AM   #56
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamiltonwa View Post
It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!

you can't pick family but you can pick a therapist. i picked the latter.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:38 AM   #57
The Submariner
Banned

Watch: Guess?
Thick lugs are an improvement....Actually everything about the Sub C...The bezel, the bracelet, the lugs, the maxi dial...is a massive improvement.
The Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:40 AM   #58
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Dude... Its just a wristwatch. No one should care or notice. You dont HAVE to explain anything.

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:44 AM   #59
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Not sure if this is true for you as it is for me, but the joy of owning and wearing a watch I love is greater than any guilt I feel (and I do sometimes feel it).
Those closest to me get me. They know I have a passion for watches (for 30 years now). They know I do not sacrifice the comfort and well-being of my household.
For those who do not know me, I'm usually good (by now) at knowing which direction to proceed. Sometimes conversations about watches begin, other times I'll wink and say my watch is as real as the Mona Lisa on my office wall.
But above all I truly enjoy the watch I wear...until I don't. Then I come here seeking advice rather than giving it!
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:49 AM   #60
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Get whatever you want, its not about what others think. Unless the "other" is your wife. You must listen to her....