The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 November 2014, 01:49 AM   #61
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
wow. Chainsaws. I guess it is true that whatever object you can imagine, someone, somewhere, collects them.

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 02:06 AM   #62
perryj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Swatch
Just buy it and in three weeks if not happy with your decision sell it, shouldn't cost much to test the waters with a sub, they don't fluctuate that much in price so you'll be able to get most of not all your money back if you buy it right to start with ;-)
perryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 03:10 AM   #63
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The human race will be extinct eventually. Don't sweat this insignificant worry. Enjoy your brief time on earth.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 7 November 2014, 04:45 AM   #64
B.B.B.
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner lv m
Take the high road!
B.B.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:05 AM   #65
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
Dude... Its just a wristwatch. No one should care or notice. You dont HAVE to explain anything.

It's shouldn't be a big deal; likely unless you bring it up it will remain under the radar.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:06 AM   #66
KellyM3
Banned

sigh

these posts are just never going away, are they?
KellyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:34 AM   #67
subzilla
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
25 year wait

Wow, how'd you last 25 years, you deserve a gold watch never mind a SS Sub.
For those that think your spending money foolishly consider that if you'd have bought your Sub 25 years ago it'd be worth more than a new one today and cost a whole lot less at the time.
The Sub is probably your safetst investment into the watch world at this price point and for watches costing £10k +++++++ it'd almost be foolish not to by and its a tangible asset that'll put a smile on your face ever time you wear it.
Plus mum and Dad have a good innings and life's to short not too.
subzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:44 AM   #68
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If you say, you are celebrating your 1st Rolex's 25 years completion with another Rolex, everyone would understand!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:44 AM   #69
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
don't worry about what others think....do what you like. it's funny my watch friends notice what i'm wearing or sometimes while traveling someone will make a comment. other than that most of my family has no clue....lol

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:48 AM   #70
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamiltonwa View Post
It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hear what you're saying. My Dad speaks his mind about whatever "insert object here" I'm considering picking up if I'm dumb enough to tell him about it before hand. Just get the Sub and if people notice, they notice. They'll get over it. Just don't discuss the idea with them before you do it. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up another Rolex myself, or an AP if I go nuts. I'm trying my hardest not to ask people I know for advice considering none of them have caught the WIS and would just think I was stupid. I do, however, have an evil master plan of gifting my DJ to my Dad for christmas to negate any potential harassment of me buying another watch.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:48 AM   #71
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
I can totally sympathize with your situation... Which is why I think you should buy your new Sub and give it to me. Let me be the one to live with the burden of having to explain to people why I have a Rolex on my wrist while life goes on normally for you
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 07:56 AM   #72
Hi-roller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT's,1680
Have you got it yet? Put some pics up when you do. After a couple of hours of 'buyers remorse' you'll forget all your concerns and enjoy your new acquisition - but make sure you keep the AK!
Hi-roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:01 AM   #73
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Watch: '87 Air King Date
Oh dear, I want a new Rolex but if I get it, I don't want to explain it to ev...

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I don't know for sure there will be one in stock. I did see a WG Skydweller in the window a couple of weeks back. I wonder if that's still there and they have the new WG GMT in stock.

Getting a new watch is almost inevitable. For about 23 years I've been more than happy with the one watch I had, but I'm not any longer, and I guess I miss that feeling.
jhamiltonwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:03 AM   #74
TripleB Boston
Banned

Watch: GMTII Blue/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
The good news is most people don't notice watches... only others who are into watches, and then they will appreciate Rolex.
This. Exactly.

Treat yourself bud. And wear it proudly.
TripleB Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 09:08 AM   #75
DPE
"TRF" Member

If you want one, then you only have to justify it to you. I understand your comment but you don't have to run by the rules of others.They are not paying for it.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 10:38 AM   #76
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Buy and wear what you want. Life's too short to worry what others might think.
Words to live by.
Old 7 November 2014, 11:47 AM   #77
Turbo13
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Completely understand your predicament and had exactly the same emotions. Bought my first Rolex during a lunch break (a 14060m so not exactly diamond dial Platona) and all I could think going back to the office was "Are my colleagues going to make comments about being flash? Will it be awkward?". Of course there was nothing, nobody noticed.

Then the following weekend, I caught up with my family and was dreading their reaction. But of course none of them noticed. And over a few years only a handful of people have ever commented.

If someone asks "What watch is that?" I often say "A Submariner". If someone asks "Is that a Rolex??" I say yes and explain that it's my passion "Some people love cars, others gamble, I love watches." And then bore them about the history of the Sub!

But any slightly awkward moments I've encountered are completely overshadowed by the pleasure I get day after day of owning such a great timepiece. So, as others have said, I hope you buy it for yourself, you've earned it, and enjoy in good health!
Turbo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 11:54 AM   #78
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I'm still in my twenties, so wearing a Rolex always brings questions when someone notices. People will often say "no one is going to notice your watch." For the most part, that is true. My new watch, the Daytona, has no tell-tale cyclops that draws most people's eyes to notice that it's a Rolex.

My very first customer on my very first day of work wearing the watch says "what's a young guy like you doing wearing a Rolex?"
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 11:57 AM   #79
Turbo13
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo13 View Post
Completely understand your predicament and had exactly the same emotions. Bought my first Rolex during a lunch break (a 14060m so not exactly diamond dial Platona) and all I could think going back to the office was "Are my colleagues going to make comments about being flash? Will it be awkward?". Of course there was nothing, nobody noticed.

Then the following weekend, I caught up with my family and was dreading their reaction. But of course none of them noticed. And over a few years only a handful of people have ever commented.

If someone asks "What watch is that?" I often say "A Submariner". If someone asks "Is that a Rolex??" I say yes and explain that it's my passion "Some people love cars, others gamble, I love watches." And then bore them about the history of the Sub!

But any slightly awkward moments I've encountered are completely overshadowed by the pleasure I get day after day of owning such a great timepiece. So, as others have said, I hope you buy it for yourself, you've earned it, and enjoy in good health!
Sorry bud, just re-read your post and saw you said, "Don't say they won't notice" ;)... Anyway, hope rest of this rings true.
Turbo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:01 PM   #80
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdin View Post
1st stop, you deserve MORE than a pat on your back mate...

25years of restraint? You gotta be kidding me!! Easily broke most of our records around here for waiting on getting that next new piece...

So seriously, you're an adult, you've waited quarter of a century for your next rolex, I say YOU DESERVE IT!!

Wear it proudly and don't let anyone (including us) tell you that you should have done this or that instead of buying that beauty...

Enjoy it in the best of health

Well said - life is short - don't worry about others. Get what you want to get and live how you want to live.

Everything else is just noise.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:10 PM   #81
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Buy and wear what you want. Life's too short to worry what others might think.
^this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
You are a grown man with your own money. I think you should do what you are comfortable with. I do have a feeling you will regret not getting the sub, especially once the price goes up (inevitable).

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.
You are saving $ by getting it now, rather than later!

Quote:
That bit is easy. I definitely like the watch very much, and the journey to picking the watch has been fun. This last phase has been the downside. I want to decide yay or nay and move on. I don't want to even go into the shop to try one on. No point. I'll love it, I'll love the glide lock clasp, the ceramic, the feel of the bracelet compared to my old AK. No, the processing will be done in my head. The shopping experience is not one I'll be needing to savour. The watch itself is what it's all about.

Apologies to all those getting bored with my pfaffing around and thanks so much. Every reply has had validity.

Just get the watch. You will feel better rather than thinking about it
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:30 PM   #82
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
Quote:
"Hey! what? Another Rolex?"
"Why?"
"What was wrong the other one?"
"Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach?
How does this fit in with that plan?"
Answers:

Yes
Why not?
Nothing
Yes
Very nicely

If you earned your money, spend it how you like. No need to justify to anybody.

WhatTheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:43 PM   #83
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!

Dude I didn't even read any of the other comments on this thread. You do what you want. If what you want is purchasing a 114060 Submariner, then by all means do it. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, feels, or says. You only live once. Get it, post it, love it.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 12:50 PM   #84
jshepard
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
25 years? I say you've waited long enough... If anyone asks just tell them what I tell friends and family who ask, "I like watches..." That's usually the end of the conversation, if they don't let it go after that I get all watch geek on them talking about history of the model, the movement, etc... They usually stop after that...
jshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 01:15 PM   #85
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejusting View Post
Can't imagine leaving an Airking that you have worn for 25 years at home for a new watch that you just bought. Sort of like sneaking out on the wife with a woman you just met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzilla View Post
Wow, how'd you last 25 years, you deserve a gold watch never mind a SS Sub.
For those that think your spending money foolishly consider that if you'd have bought your Sub 25 years ago it'd be worth more than a new one today and cost a whole lot less at the time.
The Sub is probably your safetst investment into the watch world at this price point and for watches costing £10k +++++++ it'd almost be foolish not to by and its a tangible asset that'll put a smile on your face ever time you wear it.
Plus mum and Dad have a good innings and life's to short not too.
HAHAHA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
I'm still in my twenties, so wearing a Rolex always brings questions when someone notices. People will often say "no one is going to notice your watch." For the most part, that is true. My new watch, the Daytona, has no tell-tale cyclops that draws most people's eyes to notice that it's a Rolex.

My very first customer on my very first day of work wearing the watch says "what's a young guy like you doing wearing a Rolex?"
For the most part is the most important part..

I would answer that customer "Doing my very best at what I do best and have the best timepiece to accompany the best doing what he does best".
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 02:44 PM   #86
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Explorer I

The un-Rolex Rolex.

Has all the values, robustness, and timeless qualities but probably one of the least recognizable Rolex's you can buy.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 02:51 PM   #87
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Dude I didn't even read any of the other comments on this thread. You do what you want. If what you want is purchasing a 114060 Submariner, then by all means do it. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, feels, or says. You only live once. Get it, post it, love it.

Ahahaha you said YOLO.

Old 7 November 2014, 03:00 PM   #88
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Watch: '87 Air King Date
Okay. That's it. I'm shopping. Thanks for input, everyone. It was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhamiltonwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 03:03 PM   #89
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Oh dear, I want a new Rolex but if I get it, I don't want to explain it to ev...

[QUOTE=Ravager135;5384827]Dude I didn't even read any of the other comments on this thread. You do what you want. If what you want is purchasing a 114060 Submariner, then by all means do it. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, feels, or says. You only live once. Get it, post it, love it.[/

Dbl post

Sent from my Motorola Ra
Old 7 November 2014, 03:14 PM   #90
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

It's very dangerous to listen to this many people!!

Absolutely no reason NOT to buy another watch after 25 years...I actually think having another watch will make you fall back in love with your AirKing...then u have the fun option of deciding which watch you want to wear.

But just pay a little attention to the voice inside your head that has made you do this after all this time to understand why...
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote