The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2015, 09:49 PM   #121
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Congrats, enjoy it. See you in 25 years. :D
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2015, 10:13 PM   #122
jhamiltonwa
"TRF" Member

Watch: '87 Air King Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbo View Post
Congrats, enjoy it. See you in 25 years. :D
Thanks! I'm thinking a GMT but Ive got plenty of time.
jhamiltonwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2015, 10:19 PM   #123
Tokyo Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: but don't touch
OP, I just got back from Cairns with the Princess Rolex shop in the lobby of my Mantra hotel on the Esplanade and would like to congratulate you on any purchase you decide upon. OZ prices are effin insane. I am in awe. I thought we had the market cornered here in Tooky till the dollar got stronger. Wow.
Tokyo Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2015, 10:21 PM   #124
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamiltonwa View Post
It's been 25 years since I bought the Air King and now I think I want a 141060 Sub. I never thought I could live without a date function, but now I want to try the purity of time only. I want the casual vibe of a sports watch for a change. The thick lugs were (are?) a turn off but the improvements to the movement, case, bracelet are compelling. Black face, ceramic bezel. Yeah, I'm pretty certain.

What's more, while I'm not wealthy by any means I seem to have finally got to the phase where it is coming in faster than it's going out. We all admit it's never a wise move financially, but it's a perfectly manageable dumb move if you know what I mean.

But I'm kind of embarrassed. I've worn my watch everyday and everywhere and as soon as the shiny new Sub appears on my wrist it's going to be "Hey! what? Another Rolex?" "Why?" "What was wrong the other one?" "Didn't you say you wanted a bigger apartment nearer the beach? How does this fit in with that plan?" That last one is my 85 year old mum. ( she does have point) Dad is 98 and he'll just raise an eyebrow. A Seiko was all he ever needed he has much more spare change than I've got.

But it's 25 years. I want a new watch. I am a watch geek who has fought the urge a long long time. That's okay isn't it?

Do members here ever dread the explanation to the family and friends who just don't get watches when they succumb? And don't say they won't notice, they'll notice.

Is this embarrassment my conscience or some common sense inner voice that I ignore at my peril?

Advice please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Get it, and don't give it a second thought. It's funny, no one would question 4 or 5...or more new cars in 25 years, and think of all the money you'll never see from that purchase history.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2015, 11:25 PM   #125
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
Just buy what you want, wear what you want, and let people say what they want because they will anyway. Who cares what they might think it say. I have people see my Sub and if they ask about it I tell them. Some will appreciate it and others will not. When I'm asked and someone says "I could never pay that for a watch" I simply reply " that's the difference between you and me". If you want it go to a AD, try one on then buy one if you like it. Case closed. Most people that wear the brand ,I think, but it for the quality and the beauty period. Buy it, wear it and enjoy it.
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2015, 11:48 PM   #126
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Long story short do what is going to make you happy. No matter what decisions you make in life whether buying a watch or any other scenario there are always going to be people that have something to say about it either negative or positive.

When i bought my new LVc, the only people who noticed it were those who had negative things to say along the lines of "must be nice" "Can't hide money" etc. Keep in mind I bought it new at 30 years old, have a college degree and a good paying job. Those "haters" if you will barely made it out of high school, some not that far and work bs jobs for bs money then want to talk bad about me rewarding myself for my achievements. At the end of the day its all what you want to do with your money and what makes you feel proud. So much for long story short.

Cliff Notes: Haters gonna hate.
h20addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 02:02 AM   #127
Dove37
"TRF" Member

Been wearing a SS Datejust since i was 21. Now 56. Few have ever asked about it but if they do i normally say its an imitation.

Those whk woukd know, know better.

This year I'm looking to change up to a WG President. Anyone asks ill tell them the truth. New bracelet cause
The old one stretched after 35 years. Few will notice the day nor feel the weight.

Flying under the radar fir years to come.
Dove37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 03:05 AM   #128
Buttercup
"TRF" Member

Glad to hear you did it. Congrats and enjoy!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 04:22 AM   #129
CabbageHead
"TRF" Member

Happy ending! Bravo!
CabbageHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 05:32 AM   #130
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
I don't think you're crazy - I totally understand.

People WILL notice, not just WIS. That is a fact. I've experienced it dozens of times with people that couldnt even tie the words Submariner or DateJust to Rolex... yet they recognized that someone was wearing a "Rolex". I've been part of conversations where these people unfairly say nasty things and treat these Rolex wearers differently.

It continues to amaze me that I so often read on this forum that there watch never gets noticed. Just because you don't see someone looking at your watch, or "commenting" on your watch doesn't mean they don't notice it. TRUST ME, PLEASE. lol ok I'm done ranting :)

Anyways, buy the watch you want and enjoy it. You've earned it!
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 05:40 AM   #131
bp1000
"TRF" Member

We had friends round over christmas and they were asking what we had. Wife held up her wrist to show her present (DJ2 slate/green) to hear in response, oh you had a tag! lol!

So even when you show people they don't get it right.

I suspect 95% of people don't notice or don't know what watches i wear. Perhaps even higher %. I very occasionally get people comment and it has so far been 100% positive.

So to me i don't have to explain my watch choice to anyone. For 6 months of the year it is concealed under a sleeve too. For the rest of the year, nobody notices or comments.

Don't worry about it, get what you want and be happy!
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:51 AM   #132
Banned

Grow a pair,OP
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 07:46 AM   #133
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
^^^ He already has a pair
:-)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 10:35 AM   #134
ItsABoutTime
"TRF" Member

25 years is pretty long. You paid your dues so to speak. Buy the new one and be happy. Don't worry about what others will say. Be happy.
ItsABoutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 11:04 AM   #135
Mat Allston

Congrats on your new watch. Just enjoy it and don't worry about what others think.

Other than my immediate family and my friends who own Rolex watches, I have never shown my Rolex watches to anyone else. I can relate as to having nosy people or relatives. I don't even show my watches to my in laws, I know I would never hear the end of it from them. They would think that I am spending my husband's hard earned money.
Mat Allston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 01:26 PM   #136
jetsetter19
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR Rolex
Be nice and humble while wearing your watch. Let people judge you for your personality and not your watch.

All kidding aside just pull the trigger and if it doesn't work out, you have the air king to go back to.
jetsetter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 01:58 PM   #137
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.earth View Post
I think this is a good post. I started with one just 5 years ago (a polar Explorer II)... and felt sure that's all I needed. The problem with TRF is that it normalises the idea of having many expensive watches. When I avoid TRF, my interest wanes. That's not to say I don't continue to feel happy every time I look at what's on my wrist, but I just return to what I would respectfully suggest is a healthier perspective on it's importance.

TRF "convinced" me it was "appropriate" to have a dress watch to go with my polar Explorer II, so the purchase of a 39mm Explorer was as good as inevitable. And actually, without TRF's influence I remained very happy with those 2 watches. I've loved watches for 30 years, but I really couldn't see any need whatsoever to buy another. But then I made the "mistake" of spending more time on TRF. And what happened? My perspective on what's necessary and important in life got influenced again so suddenly I had reached a perspective where buying a third expensive watch was entirely reasonable. I could afford it so why not?! Well, the obvious answer is that I don't need the black dial Explorer II (16570) I recently bought , and it would have been far wiser to leave the money in my bank account to cover future unexpected expenses - or used to pay off my mortgage earlier. If I add the mortgage interest I could have saved to the price I paid for the watch, it's suddenly become far, far more expensive... and not my wisest decision, on reflection.

Just some honest thoughts. There is no right answer, but hopefully I've offered some food for thought
I'll agree with this and I had a similar experience; had a 16570 ExpII and then justified a more "dressy" Yachtmaster to pair with it. Several years later and now after a dozen or so Rolex in and out of my collection I have a great time with my love for watches.
TRF does give a sense of justification for this hobby/collection. But this is a hobby that I both love and can afford so there is no detriment in it as long as one steers responsibly.
As for the original OP, get what makes you happy. If others seeing your new watch is going to bother you (doesn't make you happy) then don't get the new watch.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 02:25 PM   #138
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Congrats on the pickup. Hope you are still happy with your decision and enjoying the piece.

Many deep and thought provoking posts in this thread. Tonight, I was figuring out the next rotation and what will go in the safe deposit and it hit me. I really don't need all these things. Two watches get worn all the time, one sometimes and two others barely ever.

I'm thinking I need to downsize. My life and taste are in a different place than when the other two pieces were purchased and it's time to move forward.

Thanks OP and others who contributed. I've seen the light.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 11:29 PM   #139
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Good for you, OP.

Looks fantastic on your wrist. Now look away from this forum!
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 11:45 PM   #140
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Worry about no one, just buy what you want. What you spend your money on is no ones business.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 12:15 AM   #141
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Don't worry about others. I have a friend that only wears his Rolex around me for the most part. Doesn't wear them at work or meeting "new" people, because he is afraid of giving off the wrong impression. So he does not wear his DeepSea often. I tell him he should even wear a Rolex then. To me, it is a sign of accomplishment and of course a hobby. Like the clothes I wear and the car I drive, I can can less what others think.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 12:19 AM   #142
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
The good news is most people don't notice watches... only others who are into watches, and then they will appreciate Rolex.
Not true.

People notice.

But you shouldn't care what other people think. I'm in the market to get a DJII ... For sure people are going to notice that lovely fluted bezel.
TopNotchChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 03:20 AM   #143
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past, we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude.
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it...”

~ Charles Swindoll
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 05:10 AM   #144
kjp1
Banned

Watch: 1680 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
buy and wear what you want. Life's too short to worry what others might think.
+1!!!
kjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 05:51 AM   #145
franklin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdin View Post
agreed.
Yeah
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 05:52 AM   #146
franklin
"TRF" Member

You only need to answer to your conscience and your wife or life partner.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 10:32 AM   #147
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Many of us would be considered living excessive lives. Rolexes, Porsches, and multi–million dollar homes. We don't need half the things that we have acquired. Does that make us shallow human beings? Does it make us better than others with less? No way! It shows how hard work allows people to enjoy life to the fullest; through the art of watchmaking, the thrill of owning a state-of-the-art automobile, or a home built, not of a mold, but a vision. Many of us are lucky experience the creativity and genius of mankind at his best. Once upon a time, I too, was able to test the limits given to us by God through sport. Now, it is my turn to experience the grace given to others through their craft or art. We are truly blessed.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 10:38 AM   #148
Dove37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Many of us would be considered living excessive lives. Rolexes, Porsches, and multi–million dollar homes. We don't need half the things that we have acquired. Does that make us shallow human beings? Does it make us better than others with less? No way! It shows how hard work allows people to enjoy life to the fullest; through the art of watchmaking, the thrill of owning a state-of-the-art automobile, or a home built, not of a mold, but a vision. Many of us are lucky experience the creativity and genius of mankind at his best. Once upon a time, I too, was able to test the limits given to us by God through sport. Now, it is my turn to experience the grace given to others through their craft or art. We are truly blessed.
Very succinct.

Bless you.

LA
Dove37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 05:44 PM   #149
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
How many do you have now?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2015, 09:46 PM   #150
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Hey Perth! Congratulations!
Sounds like you have been very responsible for a long time.
You can afford it - you don't owe anyone any explanations.
My friends who've spent over $250,000. on travel in the last 30years think my Rolex are a huge extravagance. Go figure.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote