The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2015, 05:30 AM   #31
Reu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakulie View Post
Exactly. I don't see this as a "horror story" at all. I would be grateful they are offering you the service they offered, even though I would be mad at MYSELF for not being better prepared.

Sounds like you're the sort of guy who'd take it bending over and then say thanks afterwards. No offence, just saying!

OP I hear your frustration. Not sure you're going to find the empathy here though...
Reu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 05:42 AM   #32
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Can I play devil's advocate for a second? What if there was accidental damage to a non oem part during any type of service? How could Rolex replace that? Rolex has their own set of rules but you are not held hostage by them. There are plenty of good independent watchmakers that will service your watch, some better than Rolex will.

That said I can't say I agree 100% with Rolex but it is what it is.
Old 12 February 2015, 05:50 AM   #33
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Should have just taken the bracelet off.

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:06 AM   #34
Riva14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec51 View Post
Should have just taken the bracelet off.
I think they would have probably put a new bracelet on it and then charged him for it if he had taken it off! Ive heard they do that or they wont service an incomplete watch ? Maybe so one else can explain further
Riva14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:14 AM   #35
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Or you could have removed the bracelet with a paperclip and brought in the watch-head.
Old 12 February 2015, 06:14 AM   #36
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riva14 View Post
I think they would have probably put a new bracelet on it and then charged him for it if he had taken it off! Ive heard they do that or they wont service an incomplete watch ? Maybe so one else can explain further
Sending in the head only is fine. RSC does not do anything or add any part unless you've already agreed to the price. I don't know why RSC is so hated. Their prices aren't low, they don't service stuff older than 1960ish, and they won't service a watch with aftermarket parts...nothing horribly wrong with that in my book.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:16 AM   #37
ReXTless
"TRF" Member

A trip to Beverly Hills RSC - BEWARE & PIC HEAVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Umm yes...They will do it with a dial, they can implement the same counterfeit reasons with a clasp or any non oem part. That is if you ever want them to continue to do any work on your watch.

Sorry, dude. You are wrong. Stop perpetuating Internet myth.

Rolex can refuse to work on anything at their discretion. They can also offer to sell you something. However, they cannot confiscate an entire watch if you refuse to replace a legal, non-OEM part. Period.

The only caveat here is counterfeit parts. That is, something that is passed off as genuine Rolex when it is not. It would need to have the Rolex name and/or mark for that to apply. Even then, I'm not sure Rolex has the authority to confiscate or destroy personal property. In the U.S., that responsibility falls to law enforcement.
ReXTless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:20 AM   #38
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Hey, guys, I'm loving your posts. Didn't expect all the replies, but Rolex policies do beg several questions.

For me, I was just in the area and thought I could replace my scratched bezel for a reasonable cost. It wasn't the purpose of my trip to Beverly Hills and I didn't think any more about it.

Although I think their policy is over-the-top, they certainly have the right to set their policy however them deem necessary. My real complaint is that they wasted almost two hours of my time. If they had simply told me they couldn't service the watch to begin with - knowing that I was waiting for the watch - then I would have been disappointed but not wasted my time.

I'm a big boy and I understand they didn't take the watch with that intent, but in the end that's exactly what happened. Not their finest moment to be sure.

If I worked in that service center and made someone wait for almost two hours, I'd have replaced the bezel regardless simply for the principle of the matter. Then again, I'm old school. What can I say?
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:28 AM   #39
Reu
Banned

This story reminds me of...

http://youtu.be/mWBFDhNFhJw
Old 12 February 2015, 06:29 AM   #40
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Been there and they replaced a spring bar for free because the easy-link doesn't lock down correctly
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:47 AM   #41
Banned

it's their policy, they have to stick with it
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:51 AM   #42
hitman23
"TRF" Member

my dad's watch had a non-oem bracelet when I brought in for service. They just removed the bracelet and serviced the watch for me. They could not re-attach the bracelet when I picked it up though. no biggie.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:55 AM   #43
c.capt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk Sub
Yep, should've just taken the bracelet off. Bring it in as a head only - they can't refuse that.
c.capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:56 AM   #44
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
OP, I would be frustrated too. But frustrated at myself for not knowing better - to meet Rolex standards of service. I want to thank you for sharing your story so that I can learn from this mistake.

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Danex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 06:58 AM   #45
Reu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danex View Post
OP, I would be frustrated too. But frustrated at myself for not knowing better - to meet Rolex standards of service. I want to thank you for sharing your story so that I can learn from this mistake.

Jeez you guys crack me up!! Well done OP.
Old 12 February 2015, 06:58 AM   #46
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reu View Post
This story reminds me of...

http://youtu.be/mWBFDhNFhJw

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Danex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 07:49 AM   #47
AndersB
"TRF" Member

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing
AndersB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 08:22 AM   #48
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I'll be different and state that I find their Swiss rules and demands kind of refreshing. In a time when everything else is slipping ever more so away from high standards Rolex is boldly saying this is their standard. Deal with it. I like it! I am sorry your time was wasted though. I would have popped into that vintage store and had them pop off the bracelet for a few dollars. And then smugly waltzed back into the RSC in full compliance to have my bezel replaced. I bet the receptionist woud have smiled at that.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 08:23 AM   #49
osamu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
my dad's watch had a non-oem bracelet when I brought in for service. They just removed the bracelet and serviced the watch for me. They could not re-attach the bracelet when I picked it up though. no biggie.
Yea I don't get why they couldn't at least do this. Hypothetically, if your watch came with a non-oem part, and you don't have to tools or know how and want to have to removed... I don't see why the RSC would refuse to work on a watch under those circumstances.

If it were a NATO or something more to change the style rather than just a non-OEM "rolex style" clasp, I wonder if they would have approached it differently?
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 08:32 AM   #50
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This doesn't just pertain to any part Rolex deems counterfeit. This also includes any oem part not originally sold with the watch or model. Try swapping any genuine oem part that didn originally come on your watch and see if RSC will service it. For example a gold oem bezel from a 18k Sub on a SS Sub and see what they say...
There is enough forum threads on this topic if you do some research on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
Sorry, dude. You are wrong. Stop perpetuating Internet myth.

Rolex can refuse to work on anything at their discretion. They can also offer to sell you something. However, they cannot confiscate an entire watch if you refuse to replace a legal, non-OEM part. Period.

The only caveat here is counterfeit parts. That is, something that is passed off as genuine Rolex when it is not. It would need to have the Rolex name and/or mark for that to apply. Even then, I'm not sure Rolex has the authority to confiscate or destroy personal property. In the U.S., that responsibility falls to law enforcement.
Old 12 February 2015, 08:59 AM   #51
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
Why have an aftermarket clasp on it in the first place?
Absolutely love the above "what's this got to do with the story" meaningless comment...

OP: I've had great experiences with them but I'm sorry you had a bad one. Seems like it's just their policy and it's not negotiable. Hope you get it worked out.
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 09:05 AM   #52
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionkwj View Post
I live in north San Diego and get up to LA several times per year. Yesterday I had a meeting near UCLA and thought I'd stop by the nearby Rolex Service Center to replace the scratched bezel on my 16613. I called in advance and the service center said they could exchange mine for a new one for $49 while I waited. Nice!

Once I returned, the receptionist said she had some bad news for me. The RSC learned that I had an aftermarket clasp on my watch and, as a result, they could not service my watch. I said that I still had the original but that it was at home. Great, they said, get it and bring it back and they'd be happy to replace my bezel.
Do you know how to use a small screw driver?

Well, why didn't you just walk to one of those watch shops next door, borrow a small screw driver and either remove the clasp and you could even just take the whole bracelet off.

You don't need the bracelet nor the clasp on for them to service a watch nor to replace a bezel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.capt View Post
Yep, should've just taken the bracelet off. Bring it in as a head only - they can't refuse that.
totally agree.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 09:56 AM   #53
ReXTless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
This doesn't just pertain to any part Rolex deems counterfeit. This also includes any oem part not originally sold with the watch or model. Try swapping any genuine oem part that didn originally come on your watch and see if RSC will service it. For example a gold oem bezel from a 18k Sub on a SS Sub and see what they say...
There is enough forum threads on this topic if you do some research on it.

Read much?

Of course Rolex can refuse to work on a watch. Any business can refuse work as long as it is not discriminating against a protected class. That's not the point I was addressing. Go back and look at your post again. Then, look at mine.

You stated that Rolex could confiscate the watch unless the owner agreed to pay for a new OEM part. That is absolutely false. They cannot legally do that in this country.
ReXTless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 10:12 AM   #54
kamek
"TRF" Member

Unfortunate, but sounds like you learned your lesson the hard way.
kamek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 10:54 AM   #55
Fiddler
"TRF" Member

"I do appreciate keeping things "original", but sometimes I think people get a little too preoccupied with simple "non-permanent" mods to their watch."

+1

I can appreciate the Rolex service policy regarding non-OEM parts, but what will they do when an owner walks in with their watch for repair and their Cyclops is not 2.5 magnification? Might need to lose their uppity repair policy until their own quality control doesn't include "fake" magnification.
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 11:07 AM   #56
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

"Do I read much?" .........Hmmm, I'm gonna have to saaay.... No, I don't. I'm new here and just trying to figure out when to replace the battery in my Rolex.

[QUOTE=ReXTless;5608000]Read much?

/QUOTE]
Old 12 February 2015, 11:42 AM   #57
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Ha ha

Most creative reply so far 😆

I can appreciate the Rolex service policy regarding non-OEM parts, but what will they do when an owner walks in with their watch for repair and their Cyclops is not 2.5 magnification? Might need to lose their uppity repair policy until their own quality control doesn't include "fake" magnification. [/QUOTE]
actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 12:16 PM   #58
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain. At least, you visited LA and had some nice weather. I bet, there were a lot of beautiful women there also!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 12:29 PM   #59
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionkwj View Post
Mine is an aftermarket. Looks and feels identical to the original for $35. I'm not into fake watches or Franken-watches, but I have an 8" wrist and it expands or contracts depending on the weather, so I really wanted a glidelock clasp. I took a chance on this aftermarket clasp (in two tone, by the way) and it looks original and works perfectly. Meanwhile, my original clasp stays perfectly polished and I let this take all the hits.

I do appreciate keeping things "original", but sometimes I think people get a little too preoccupied with simple "non-permanent" mods to their watch. I've been with many other Rolex aficionados and no one has ever once noticed (probably because the clasp is on the bottom).

My friend with the 116613 was so impressed that he might get the aftermarket clasp simply to preserve the original in perfect condition.

BACK 2 YOUR QUESTION

Would the RSC have given me the same grief were it a Rolex clasp and yet unoriginal to my model?

Oh my...no wonder they didn't work on it...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 12:46 PM   #60
drakulie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reu View Post
Sounds like you're the sort of guy who'd take it bending over and then say thanks afterwards. No offence, just saying!

OP I hear your frustration. Not sure you're going to find the empathy here though...
More like you are the type that throws baby fits when you don't get to suck on the bottle. Fact is, they are offering him the service, but not on a modified watch. If you don't like to play by the rules, then go elsewhere. There is no "horror" story here as the OP stated. Unless of course you want to talk about them not offering him coffeee.
drakulie is offline   Reply With Quote