The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 February 2013, 09:30 AM   #301
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Can I add a recommendation for Zaf Basha? I see he's on the list as waiting for another recommendation. I purchased a beautiful vintage JLC from him. I love it! My husband also purchased one of his. It's absolutely beautiful. I just dropped off several watches for repair with him. I'll have more info on repairs when they come back.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2013, 12:52 AM   #302
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkychoo View Post
Thank you sir
Thanks Vicky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo View Post
And thanks of course to the other forum members who contributed - currently searching, I went through every recommended site and dealer in the last two days.

Another site I'm looking on is http://www.Chrono24.com, a selling platform for watches only. Quality there obviously depends on the quality and reputation of the seller, but they seem to have instituted some sort of rating system for sellers as well. Haven't bought through them yet though.
Chers Pivo, true, surely kind of the forum members to contribute to this thread to helpout us newbies. As for chrono24.com, I personally wouldn't recommend them since I for a fact know atleast where vintage Breitlings are concerned that there are quite a few fakes on sale there from so called trutred sellers. Inspite of complaints from Breitling collectors, they weren't struck off so please do your research before you buy. I am not sure what their standing is with regards to vintage Rolex so someone here might be able to chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCH1969 View Post
Bought most of my Rolex in Paris at Olivine :

Very serious et high level quality

http://www.olivine-prestige.com/Nos-...ndues_r26.html
Thanks for the recommendation, will add them in. Please increase your postcount to 50, is 32 now so well on it's way!:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobin View Post
Cruvon, many thanks for your work and for this list. I've used it even before joining TRF, very helpful indeed.

My turn now, I can vouch for Henrik, Sub GMT, Netherlands. I bought from him, very professional, friendly, fast shipping, the watch was exactly as described, highly recommended. Good man.
My pleasure Kobin, glad it helps in the initial stages of your purchase atleast.
Will add him in, could you please give me more details like website, contact, etc. for him?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkibarry View Post
Can I add a recommendation for Zaf Basha? I see he's on the list as waiting for another recommendation. I purchased a beautiful vintage JLC from him. I love it! My husband also purchased one of his. It's absolutely beautiful. I just dropped off several watches for repair with him. I'll have more info on repairs when they come back.

Thanks mikkibarry for the recommendation. Yours would be the first purchase recomendation for Zaf so he needs one more, his name was added on the list when I had initially started the list when he was recommended as a good guy but had no purchase recommendation. However for new sellers to be added in, I do make sure they now have atleast one "purchase" recommedation. Also please increase your postcount to 50 in the vintage Rolex section, is 39 now so well on it's way!:)

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2013, 01:31 AM   #303
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Thank you so much for this list. It's very useful.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2013, 09:58 AM   #304
pivo

cruvon - thanks for your comment on chrono24; good to know. Cheers Gov!
pivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2013, 11:04 AM   #305
Glisse
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Pivo,

I have bought 3 watches from sellers on Chrono24. In the first 2 cases, I contacted the sellers directly - they were both quite large dealers who I knew of outside Chrono24 and could find independent feedback on them. The watches were perfect.

The third watch I bought via the Chrono24 contact process, and the watch had a problem not disclosed in the listing which I felt was dishonest. Chrono24 provide a feedback survey after each contact. I advised them of the problem and that the seller was dishonest (the seller just ignored my concerns), and rated them accordingly. Chrono24 did not respond, and the dealer rating still shows up as never having had any problems.

So Chrono24's rating system is worthless, much as Cruvon's comments about Breitling collectors indicated. Chrono24 makes their money from listings (not sales), and it would seem buyers are not a high priority. Chrono24 is a good resource to find dealers around the world, and to see a huge range of watches. But it offers even less protection, and "real" buyer feedback, than Ebay. Independent verification of sellers is essential.

As is often said, buy the seller first. Which is why this list from Cruvon is so helpful - thank you Cruvon! I have used the list to buy from one of the recommended sellers here, and it was a wonderful experience
Glisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 01:41 PM   #306
pivo

Glisse, thanks for your comment. Excellent point.

It seems Chrono24 has serious drawbacks, and the more I delve into buying a watch again, the more I realise how valuable Cruvon's list is. I've been in contact with two of the dealers recommended here, and even in inquiring only I've been treated with great respect and courtesy by these two.
Old 1 March 2013, 01:26 PM   #307
vkychoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 '67 Sub
I haven't bought anything from Chrono24 for the above reasons.

I've also been looking at several dealers based in Hong Kong and they seem to have a great selection at competitive prices. Google "Vintage Rolex Hong Kong" for a listing.

The only Hong Kong dealer I have bought from is Ben Sin of nbtimes.com to date and in discussion with The Vintage Concept for a couple of pieces currently.
vkychoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 09:39 PM   #308
Glisse
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

I've also been looking at several dealers based in Hong Kong and they seem to have a great selection at competitive prices. Google "Vintage Rolex Hong Kong" for a listing.

The only Hong Kong dealer I have bought from is Ben Sin of nbtimes.com to date and in discussion with The Vintage Concept for a couple of pieces currently.
I can see why Ben is on the list. I have communicated with him a couple of times, and he is a very pleasant person. But funnily enough, his most accurate listings are on Chrono24. He doesn't update his own website that often.
Glisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2013, 12:25 AM   #309
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Steve Duvarney http://duvarney.com/index.html

Purchased several watches from him since 2007. Trusted by my family and friends. Store located in Massachusetts, USA.

Rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2013, 07:48 PM   #310
bowlane

Cruvon thanks very much. Any new recomendations in England?
bowlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2013, 10:41 AM   #311
pivo

Not to beat a horse already dead (or at least comatose), but:

Saw a nice 1601 on Chrono24 from a vintage dealer in Geneva/Switzerland. Dealer gave good info on the watch and is also an IWJG member.

But there was an odd discrepancy between the stated age of the watch and the s/n, so I asked for the Quarter/Year stamp inside the case - and never heard from the dealer again. Could be a coincidence, but for me a sign not to go chasing after this one.
Old 6 March 2013, 10:00 PM   #312
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkibarry View Post
Thank you so much for this list. It's very useful.
Thanks mate, glad you found it helped.

Quote:
cruvon - thanks for your comment on chrono24; good to know. Cheers Gov!
Cheers mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Pivo,

I have bought 3 watches from sellers on Chrono24. In the first 2 cases, I contacted the sellers directly - they were both quite large dealers who I knew of outside Chrono24 and could find independent feedback on them. The watches were perfect.

The third watch I bought via the Chrono24 contact process, and the watch had a problem not disclosed in the listing which I felt was dishonest. Chrono24 provide a feedback survey after each contact. I advised them of the problem and that the seller was dishonest (the seller just ignored my concerns), and rated them accordingly. Chrono24 did not respond, and the dealer rating still shows up as never having had any problems.

So Chrono24's rating system is worthless, much as Cruvon's comments about Breitling collectors indicated. Chrono24 makes their money from listings (not sales), and it would seem buyers are not a high priority. Chrono24 is a good resource to find dealers around the world, and to see a huge range of watches. But it offers even less protection, and "real" buyer feedback, than Ebay. Independent verification of sellers is essential.

As is often said, buy the seller first. Which is why this list from Cruvon is so helpful - thank you Cruvon! I have used the list to buy from one of the recommended sellers here, and it was a wonderful experience
Good to know Pivo!

Quote:

Good to know Vicky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
I can see why Ben is on the list. I have communicated with him a couple of times, and he is a very pleasant person. But funnily enough, his most accurate listings are on Chrono24. He doesn't update his own website that often.
That's nice to know Glisse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC2 View Post
Steve Duvarney http://duvarney.com/index.html

Purchased several watches from him since 2007. Trusted by my family and friends. Store located in Massachusetts, USA.

Rich
Thanks Rich, will add him in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlane View Post
Cruvon thanks very much. Any new recomendations in England?
Cheers Bowlane. Sorry mate, sonly th eones in the list so far.

Quote:
Not to beat a horse already dead (or at least comatose), but:

Saw a nice 1601 on Chrono24 from a vintage dealer in Geneva/Switzerland. Dealer gave good info on the watch and is also an IWJG member.

But there was an odd discrepancy between the stated age of the watch and the s/n, so I asked for the Quarter/Year stamp inside the case - and never heard from the dealer again. Could be a coincidence, but for me a sign not to go chasing after this one.

Again, good to know Pivo!

Old 8 March 2013, 10:20 PM   #313
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Hi, updated with recommendations from vkychoo for Ben,Kobin for Henrik,RC2 for Steve Duvarney. Please let me know if have missed any!

Vintage purchase experience Feedback List
************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************************

Note: A slight change in rules from here forward, a member making a recommendation will now require to have atleast 50 posts in the "Vintage Section" before recommending a seller they've made a vintage Rolex watch purchase from. This is to avoid fly by members making recommendations here. Offcourse a more accurate way to cross check fly by recommendations is by also cross checking who the members making recommendations are in the the "Purchase Reference List" to ensure that recommendations are from regular forumers/genuine buyers. Lastly, a reminder that while this list is an attempt to assist newbies entering the vintage Rolex world, it can never be 100% and should not be used as a shortcut for doing your own research for the best outcome with your purchases. Nevertheless, it's the best shot we have at putting a genuine list together with some checks and balances in place, enjoy!

Green Star status sellers:

Sellers awaiting green star status: [Sellers in this list below either have one forumer recommendation and are awaiting one more for green star status (see recommendation history by paging through the thread) OR are Speculative with no prior proven forumer purchase history but just good references by hearsay and are to be tried and tested]

A green (*) against a dealers name indicates that atleast 2 forumers have purchased vintage watches from a dealer here, have received them and are happy. So if atleast 2 of you have purchased a vintage watch from any of the dealers in the list, have received it and are happy with the purchase please say so here so can update the dealers name with a green (*).Also note that a single forumer purchasing 2 or more watches from a seller will be considered as one reference and not two.

Purchase Reference list: Besides the green star rating, for added green star rating accuracy, refer to this "Purchase Reference list" to get a feel of the quality of watches forumers here have purchased from their respective sellers. Forumers have kindly made recommendations here for sellers so that it helps newcomers here, thanks guys for that! Also this list can help confirm are genuine known forumers/buyers making buyer recommendations and you can do that by having a look at their historic posts here, feel free to use the search function to look up their historic threads for posted watch pictures. Though not 100%, the purpose of this purchase reference list is also to hopefully discourage proxy buyers who make fake recommendations on a dealers behalf so that they think twice before making a recommendation here since to prospective buyers, their thread history is only a simple thread search away. Finally, do make inquiries on the forum.

Mark Lerman (ezinternet,cruvon,Chris B,chiubak,Balu)
Jedly (Steelerfan65,bb3188,alanski,Vincent65,Mark020)
Eric Ku (ddrees,steelerfan65,skyedog,Beaumont Miller II, Vincent65)
Ben (Jason71,yessir69,desfrie,inspires,lasavoldi,vkych oo)
Jacek (ezinternet,Submarino,Mark020,shairan,psv,inspires , RLX-lvr)
Andrew Shear (Steelerfan65,Tcaviglioli,Beaumont Miller II,bluemartinfan,Skyedog,Buffy,inspires)
Ralle (florianw,Burswood)
Ian Blowers (DiamondJack, chiubak,Monobike)
Jason Graham (learningtofly,alanski,badastronaut)
Derek Dier (ezinternetr,Blassy,sryukon,CdnWatchDoc)

Beginner reading guide threads (Please feel free to suggest some more here)

1) Forum members here have helped create this extremely helpful vintage watch terms list http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...highlight=list
2) A forumer feedback generated vintage references list http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180464 (Ignore the pricing info since the prices are just a range and might not be uptodate in all cases, are highly market condition dependent but gives a good understanding of the various Rolex references available, please feel free to sugest updates in this thread)
3) A vintage watch repairer list by country created with forumer input. http://rolexforums.com/showthread.ph...atch+repairers. Please reverify with forumers here before sending your watches to repairers on the list to make sure you get the latest update on them.
4) Most importantly, look up historic threads on this vintage forum, a wealth of knowledge there.

NB: While this list serves to collate all vintage watch dealers forumers have possibly dealt with (from fellow forumers comments above) in one place, it in no way is a measure of the quality/originality of the watches that are on sale with them. Please conduct your own due diligence before you make any purchases by asking questions on the forum, posting pictures, getting references, etc. Also please notify us of any concerns and if the forumers agree I can take them off this list.

VERY IMPORTANT: As always refer to the footnotes and do your due diligence when buying any vintage watch, even from sellers listed as having a green star, since past recommendations are not necessarily a ticket for positive experiences in the future, so ask questions and verify watches through the forum "before" you buy any vintage watch. This is a forumer purchase experience list aimed at helping newbies find a vintage from known sources and is not an official recommendation list or a substitute for doing proper research on watches and sellers before you buy.

Footnote1: While there have been no complaints or doubts about the authenticity or quality of his watches by buyers who have bought watches from him and is known for being a red sub expert and for his popular red sub article many of us have used as a guide, some serious allegations have been levelled about some of his watch's paperwork by those in the know, specifically about guarantee papers on some watches of his sold through Ebay. The allegations haven't been supported by concrete "publicly" available evidence by those making the allegations citing privacy reasons but the allegations haven't been publicly defended on the forum by the seller too. Judging by the seriousness of the issue to collectors, it's difficult for the allegations to be discounted and is upto forumers here to make their own judgement based on the facts available. In his favour, there has been no evidence of anything amiss when the watches themselves were taken to a RSC, other service centers, or for an expert appraisal. However in light of the serious allegations about the paperwork, for those purchasing full sets which obviously go at a huge premium compared to loose watches, do verify the watches and paperwork when making a full set purchase, to be sure so that all boxes tick and so that you get your money's worth. Buyers/forumers, please feel free to provide public feedback with evidence if you find anything amiss with purchases.

Footnote 2: Please note issues raised by drainaps,Kyle in the earlier sections http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=180461, asking the right questions from this dealer necessary to ascertain originality since this dealer might not have the specific expertise catering specifically to collectors as some of the sellers here, has a 7 days no questions asked return policy

Old 12 March 2013, 04:36 AM   #314
redsea10021
"TRF" Member

Just bought a watch from Nick Gogas aka Greekbum. I live in Saudi and the transaction, shipping and delivery was perfect and more importantly the watch was exactly as depicted and am very happy with the purchase. Own a few new Rolex's but this was my was my first "vintage" Rolex. Nick was excellent to deal with.
redsea10021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2013, 11:51 PM   #315
vkychoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 '67 Sub
Thanks for adding my vendor recommendation
vkychoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2013, 11:03 AM   #316
RC2
"TRF" Member

Father purchased big block from HQ Milton. Jacek . Great seller!!!!!! Rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 15 March 2013, 11:14 AM   #317
RC2
"TRF" Member

Andrew Shear. Excellent seller, great communication. Rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 15 March 2013, 11:51 PM   #318
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for adding my vendor recommendation
Thanks Vince, my pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea10021 View Post
Just bought a watch from Nick Gogas aka Greekbum. I live in Saudi and the transaction, shipping and delivery was perfect and more importantly the watch was exactly as depicted and am very happy with the purchase. Own a few new Rolex's but this was my was my first "vintage" Rolex. Nick was excellent to deal with.

Thanks redsea10021, Nick is surely well known here and thanks for the recommendation. Please increase your post count to 50 in the vintage Rolex section for your recco to count towards a green star for Nick,

Cheers

Old 15 March 2013, 11:54 PM   #319
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Father purchased big block from HQ Milton. Jacek . Great seller!!!!!! Rich
Quote:
Andrew Shear. Excellent seller, great communication. Rich
Thanks Rich, will add you for Jacek, just confirming that you meant you've also made a happyvintage Rolex purchase from Andrew?

Cheers

Old 22 March 2013, 11:26 AM   #320
RC2
"TRF" Member

Correct....Andrew shear - omega speedmaster - great experience Rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 22 March 2013, 11:32 AM   #321
RC2
"TRF" Member

Steve Duvarney. Family and friends purchased several modern and vintage watches from him since 2007. Amazing knowledge, excellent service, and would and have recommended several times.

Store link: http://duvarney.com/index.html

Rich

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 22 March 2013, 08:38 PM   #322
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct....Andrew shear - omega speedmaster - great experience Rich
Quote:
Steve Duvarney. Family and friends purchased several modern and vintage watches from him since 2007. Amazing knowledge, excellent service, and would and have recommended several times.

Store link: http://duvarney.com/index.html

Rich
Thanks Rich, good to know. Saw the lovely Omega you got from Andrew.

Old 24 March 2013, 04:01 AM   #323
louis_england
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the work on this thread, made it a little less daunting for a relative novice!

I was wondering whether any of you have had any experience with these guys http://www.finewatchco.com/ in the UK? looks reasonably legit but there was a california dial tudor which looked a little too good to be true.

Louis
louis_england is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2013, 10:07 AM   #324
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis_england View Post
Thanks for the work on this thread, made it a little less daunting for a relative novice!

I was wondering whether any of you have had any experience with these guys http://www.finewatchco.com/ in the UK? looks reasonably legit but there was a california dial tudor which looked a little too good to be true.

Louis
Thanks mate, glad the thread is of some help:). Not sure about that seller, you could post pictures of the watch he has for sale that interests you in the vintage forum and get expert opinion on the watch. Remember that besides finding a legitimate buyer, the next challenging step is finding a watch that ticks all or most of the collectability boxes since not all vintages on sale are pristine examples.

Old 27 March 2013, 01:09 AM   #325
clock
Banned

Bob's watches?

Anyone have experience with: http://www.bobswatches.com
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2013, 11:23 PM   #326
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock View Post
Sorry no, maybe ask within the Vintage Rolex forum by posting a new thread.

Old 30 March 2013, 05:37 AM   #327
Nnatan

Watch: Timex Ironman
Chicago

Any of these in the Chicago area?

Thanks

Nimi
Nnatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2013, 01:14 PM   #328
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnatan View Post
Any of these in the Chicago area?

Thanks

Nimi
Don't think so but with the internet at our fingertips, it doesn't really matter where the best dealers live:)

Old 31 March 2013, 11:26 PM   #329
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have seen quite a few posts about bobs...mostly all positive. Do a search you will find them
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 05:33 AM   #330
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Yes, very good friends with the owner and do quite a bit of business with him. A+ source for Pre-owned rolex
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote