The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 February 2023, 11:49 AM   #1
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

My father in law's Rolex GMT Master

I was told that you all may be amused by this and that I should share this with you.

I recently learned that my father in law had an "old, broken Rolex." I didn't believe him because I've always seen him as a budget watch guy. He dug it out of an old drawer and gave it to me....

My father in law was given this watch new/unused by his father. It was a gift when he went off to college at the US Air Force Academy in 1971. According to my father in law, he wore this every day, regardless of what he was doing. Eventually it "quit working" so he put it in a drawer.

His wife says that she has never seen this watch. They met in the early 1980s, so I believe that this watch has been sitting relatively untouched for around 40 years. My goal is to get it back to a working condition as a surprise to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex1.jpg (98.1 KB, 1817 views)
File Type: jpeg rolex2.jpeg (140.8 KB, 1817 views)
File Type: jpeg rolex3.jpeg (131.6 KB, 1820 views)
File Type: jpeg rolex4.jpeg (134.5 KB, 1817 views)
File Type: jpeg rolex5.jpeg (131.7 KB, 1812 views)
some.idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 09:49 PM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Excellent project.

Do you the year of production? Curious which dial it would take..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 11:16 PM   #3
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Excellent project.

Do you the year of production? Curious which dial it would take..
The serial number is 2.4 million, so 1970 I believe
Old 4 February 2023, 11:53 PM   #4
TimeToGo

Thanks, I was wondering what type of dial it had but the condition does not permit that.

A 2.4 is good for a Mk-1 dial. 1969-70.
What year does the caseback have?

Nice insert also!

Keep us posted..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 01:44 AM   #5
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Thanks, I was wondering what type of dial it had but the condition does not permit that.

A 2.4 is good for a Mk-1 dial. 1969-70.
What year does the caseback have?

Nice insert also!

Keep us posted..
Would the year be on the inside of the caseback? There is nothing on the outside.

I personally do not like the insert at all and plan to replace it. I understand that this may be unpopular here. Maybe somebody would want to buy it or trade for it?
Old 5 February 2023, 12:31 AM   #6
BigBlue1

Watch: it pal !
Awesome. Good luck. Can’t wait to see it finished. Love that insert tooo

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 01:06 AM   #7
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Cool project. Love to se his face when you return it functional.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 01:45 AM   #8
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
Cool project. Love to se his face when you return it functional.
Yeah, I'm curious how it will go. He is not a sentimental man at all. I have a feeling that he won't really care too much, to be honest. But it will mean a lot to me to get it back to him. I'm probably more excited about it than he would ever be.
Old 5 February 2023, 01:21 AM   #9
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

That insert is glorious!!
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 03:54 AM   #10
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Very cool project. Was the bracelet part of the package? BTW save parts and yes that insert is very nice from a vintage standpoint and worth some ducats. The hands pretty not too bad from what I have seen on this forum but still corroded, the dial is toast. I don't know who you are having rebuild this watch, but someone sympathetic to vintage would be the way to go and they can help source period correct parts. Phillip or Bob Ridley are suggestions. IF you don't care about originality so much but just want it to work and perhaps you can source the parts as you go along, then take it to Rolex as they will insist on replacing the hands and dial and probably the insert. You will pay for those and the honor of keeping the used parts. They will let you keep them if you pay for them, I think 50% of the cost of new ones. The insert is probably worth about ±2K as is, so definitely keep it. Case looks pretty nice. I'm sure your father in law will love it, especially coming from you.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 05:41 AM   #11
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Very cool project. Was the bracelet part of the package? BTW save parts and yes that insert is very nice from a vintage standpoint and worth some ducats. The hands pretty not too bad from what I have seen on this forum but still corroded, the dial is toast. I don't know who you are having rebuild this watch, but someone sympathetic to vintage would be the way to go and they can help source period correct parts. Phillip or Bob Ridley are suggestions. IF you don't care about originality so much but just want it to work and perhaps you can source the parts as you go along, then take it to Rolex as they will insist on replacing the hands and dial and probably the insert. You will pay for those and the honor of keeping the used parts. They will let you keep them if you pay for them, I think 50% of the cost of new ones. The insert is probably worth about ±2K as is, so definitely keep it. Case looks pretty nice. I'm sure your father in law will love it, especially coming from you.
Unfortunately there was no bracelet. I'll ask him if he still has it around somewhere. Otherwise I'm going to get a replacement.

He wears all of his watches on a NATO strap, so I wonder if he ditched the bracelet a long time ago.
Old 6 February 2023, 05:48 AM   #12
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Sorry if this is a duplicate. I responded to 2 posts here and my response doesn't seem to be showing up..

There are no bracelet with the watch. I will obviously ask him about it. I've already told my watchmaker that I would like a bracelet that is appropriate for the watch.

My FIL puts all of his watches on NATO straps, so it's quite possible that he got rid of the bracelet a long time ago.
Old 6 February 2023, 12:48 AM   #13
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Really cool project. Look forwards to following along and seeing the final result.
Old 6 February 2023, 01:18 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 01:28 AM   #15
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by some.idiot View Post
I was told that you all may be amused by this and that I should share this with you.
Whoever told you that would be CORRECT! Thanks so much for sharing this watch and the story that goes with it. I love this kinda stuff! That is a very cool piece. Looking forward to the restoration journey and to seeing it when you're all done.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing a full restoration? Or, just a clean up and service/repair to get it working again? I am thinking if you just cleaned up the dial, date wheel, hands and only replaced the crystal.....the patina'd look would be a cool piece to wear just like that!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 05:45 AM   #16
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
Whoever told you that would be CORRECT! Thanks so much for sharing this watch and the story that goes with it. I love this kinda stuff! That is a very cool piece. Looking forward to the restoration journey and to seeing it when you're all done.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing a full restoration? Or, just a clean up and service/repair to get it working again? I am thinking if you just cleaned up the dial, date wheel, hands and only replaced the crystal.....the patina'd look would be a cool piece to wear just like that!
I am trying to figure out what I'm doing as we go. People have offered different opinions and I'm trying to reconcile it all in my mind.

My original thought was to replace the crystal and bezel insert and keep everything else as much as possible. The dial looks horrendous, though, and I suspect I'm going to end up with a new one as well as a date wheel and bezel insert. At that point it's going to essentially look new, so why not get new hands as well?

I can understand the concept of keeping things as period-correct and original as possible. What I'm debating is what is truly important here. This watch will never be sold, as far as I'm concerned, so its resale value is of little importance to me. I would like something that first and foremost runs, and second reminds my father in law (and me, and whoever it gets handed down to) of what it is and what it can be. To me that means it just needs to look good and keeping it 100% original is a very low priority.
Old 6 February 2023, 01:33 AM   #17
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
WoW. Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love finds like this in their orig state. I think you have a decision to make on the dial. You could clean up the dial ans then just reinstall it in its damaged state. You can also buy a correct dial to match the year of the case and maybe accept a damaged example. I’d look for a better but rough dial If cost is a factor. You need a new date wheel, crown and crystal.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 05:46 AM   #18
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
WoW. Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love finds like this in their orig state. I think you have a decision to make on the dial. You could clean up the dial ans then just reinstall it in its damaged state. You can also buy a correct dial to match the year of the case and maybe accept a damaged example. I’d look for a better but rough dial If cost is a factor. You need a new date wheel, crown and crystal.
I'll have to see what I can find for an original dial. I quickly looked around last night and they were like $5,000 - 20,000. That's really not worth it to me just to get it back in serviceable condition and give it back to my FIL. I don't know.
Old 7 February 2023, 03:52 AM   #19
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by some.idiot View Post
I'll have to see what I can find for an original dial. I quickly looked around last night and they were like $5,000 - 20,000. That's really not worth it to me just to get it back in serviceable condition and give it back to my FIL. I don't know.
There are several watch makers who can clean up that dial a bit for you. I would have the movement serviced and the plexi replaced and maybe the crown and that would be it.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 05:49 AM   #20
psv
"TRF" Member

Wonderful project. Please keep us posted.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 07:27 AM   #21
rusty427
"TRF" Member

Great project, I would like to see a sympathetic restoration too!
The insert is a beauty as I mentioned on another forum, it shows the life the watch has seen.
Looking forward to progress updates.
rusty427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 09:49 AM   #22
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I have a similar 1675 GMT from 1971 with the same super-fat-font insert, serial number 2.9 mil. The dial on mine is a long-E MK 1.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 11:44 AM   #23
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Fat Lady
I would be inclined to have the movement serviced. Clean up the case. Don’t polish it though. Clean the dial and hands without damaging them further. Replace the datewheel and crystal. Maybe the crown too at this point. Reassemble with the original dial and hands and insert.
Then take your time to live with it and start the search for an appropriate dial and hands (if necessary) and insert……. If you want.
Hanging onto the original parts, it seems isn’t necessarily important to you, but would make a nice compliment to the watch if you did replace them. Or when the time comes and you do find a good insert, you could sell the original.
If it were me though, I’d hang on to the original parts if I did replace them.
Enjoy the ‘journey’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waterproofpt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:13 AM   #24
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterproofpt View Post
I would be inclined to have the movement serviced. Clean up the case. Don’t polish it though. Clean the dial and hands without damaging them further. Replace the datewheel and crystal. Maybe the crown too at this point. Reassemble with the original dial and hands and insert.
Then take your time to live with it and start the search for an appropriate dial and hands (if necessary) and insert……. If you want.
Hanging onto the original parts, it seems isn’t necessarily important to you, but would make a nice compliment to the watch if you did replace them. Or when the time comes and you do find a good insert, you could sell the original.
If it were me though, I’d hang on to the original parts if I did replace them.
Enjoy the ‘journey’.

That's something I considered. I will definitely hold on to all of the original parts. I could get it back in a usable condition and then collect more authentic/original parts over time. Those sorts of things can always be changed.
Old 6 February 2023, 11:46 AM   #25
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Fat Lady
Meant to add that the original parts and their condition are part of the story behind this watch. Nice to preserve that.

Waterproofpt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 11:52 AM   #26
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Michael Young in Hong Kong will be able to restore that dial for you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTMO6x1r2nQ/?hl=en
Old 6 February 2023, 03:51 PM   #27
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Michael Young in Hong Kong will be able to restore that dial for you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTMO6x1r2nQ/?hl=en
I would not be so confident from my unfortunate experience with the guy.
Also you risk Rolex branding the watch as a fake with a re-fabricated dial done in China and reduce the historical provenance and value significantly.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 12:42 PM   #28
Ftech1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622, 126710
Cool project and thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated.
Ftech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:22 AM   #29
lab rat
"TRF" Member

Good luck with this. Great find, and beautiful thing to do for your father in law.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:24 AM   #30
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Wow, thank you for posting this, OP. About dial restoration: I have a 1016 which I bought with a similarly wrecked dial, and was assured by more than one internet friend that the dial would be restore-able. Turned out to not be reasonably restorable, pity, everyone turned me down and said they couldn't do it. I ended up putting a service dial and (pricey correct long) hands on the watch instead and am happy with it; I have the originals anyway. Your dial looks to be as damaged as mine, if not more so: https://imgur.com/a/5F5qr1T
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote