The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 28 September 2016, 08:01 AM   #331
usrudiver932
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Sorry to hear bout those that got scammed, I am relatively new to the forum, I didn't realize fake Rolex was that much a problem. As a kid i bought one but now I got a real one. Almost bought from Kijiji in a face to face, had doubt and walked away. Bought from AD. Turned out he had appraised and was real thing but I did not like the way the bezel turned. Was really stiff to move so wud have cost $$$ to get fixed any how. Lov my sub
Old 28 September 2016, 04:55 PM   #332
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Glad that everything turned out okay for the OP... And now a dump of my conscience.

Friends, let not friends buy from countries with lax law enforcement. It is hard for me to say this, but yeah, many places of the former Soviet Bloc are not friendly to online traders who mainly rely on reputation. This has nothing to do with people who live in those countries!

Many denizens of Eastern Europe are quite polite, honest and hard-working. They won't scam you. However, crime in those countries does pay when you consider a potential payout (a used modern Rolex may feed many mouths for months) and the low probability of getting caught or simply knowing right people who can make your problem go away. Thus, as a seller outside of those countries, you have odds stacked against you. If things go wrong, you less simply have less leverage. Thus, your best bet is to stay away.

Of course, there are reasons around it. Private couriers, in-person delivery and getting payment up front could help. But do you really know all the tricks? So here is my advice: Always conduct your business in a manner that lets you sleep at night. And for me it means dealing with people in places where criminals have more chances of being accountable for their actions.
Old 28 September 2016, 05:45 PM   #333
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Glad that everything turned out okay for the OP... And now a dump of my conscience.

Friends, let not friends buy from countries with lax law enforcement. It is hard for me to say this, but yeah, many places of the former Soviet Bloc are not friendly to online traders who mainly rely on reputation. This has nothing to do with people who live in those countries!

Many denizens of Eastern Europe are quite polite, honest and hard-working. They won't scam you. However, crime in those countries does pay when you consider a potential payout (a used modern Rolex may feed many mouths for months) and the low probability of getting caught or simply knowing right people who can make your problem go away. Thus, as a seller outside of those countries, you have odds stacked against you. If things go wrong, you less simply have less leverage. Thus, your best bet is to stay away.

Of course, there are reasons around it. Private couriers, in-person delivery and getting payment up front could help. But do you really know all the tricks? So here is my advice: Always conduct your business in a manner that lets you sleep at night. And for me it means dealing with people in places where criminals have more chances of being accountable for their actions.

Sure ,Eastern Europeans are crooks stay in safe ,honest Americans selling you watches with superglued caseback!

iPhone/Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 29 September 2016, 10:57 AM   #334
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Sure ,Eastern Europeans are crooks stay in safe ,honest Americans selling you watches with superglued caseback!

iPhone/Tapatalk
And you totally misread the post.

It is not about crooks vs. honest people. It is about your probability of solving issues with parties in countries where law enforcement is lax.

By the way, I read the "glued caseback" thread and it is such a stretch that I would not even bring this up here.
Old 5 October 2016, 05:27 PM   #335
Blakerhodes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 gilt chapter
He scammed me out of $5k last week

Long story very short, I had family in town and did not do my homework on the guy. I thought I was buying an explorer 2 for 5k. He stole it after I wired him.

This sucks and makes my favorite hobby have such a bad taste. He is posting on watchnet under the name : gmwu

Live and learn I guess. Could have been worse.

Last edited by dalip; 5 October 2016 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Poor taste
Old 9 October 2016, 09:55 PM   #336
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 9 October 2016, 09:57 PM   #337
Porsche958
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakerhodes View Post
Long story very short, I had family in town and did not do my homework on the guy. I thought I was buying an explorer 2 for 5k. He stole it after I wired him.

This sucks and makes my favorite hobby have such a bad taste. He is posting on watchnet under the name : gmwu

Live and learn I guess. Could have been worse.

For me, I had one smooth transaction with him prior, he pumped me up basically.
Old 17 October 2016, 11:14 PM   #338
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
WOW, a 20K Blancpain for a Patek 5170, a Rolex sub and 1000 cash???? This is the perfect example of too good to be true, only the Patek is worth way more on the used market than the BP, any reasonable person would understand this is a scam. Quite amazed that the OP wasn't scammed after all if I understand the last posts...
Old 8 December 2021, 01:42 PM   #339
rlx-watch
"TRF" Member

This is terrible. You can loose money in investing and make back. No issues. That said, someone stealing from you is not a good feeling!

So sorry. I have people working for me in Romania. Not sure what can be done to help you.
Old 9 December 2021, 01:48 AM   #340
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx-watch View Post
This is terrible. You can loose money in investing and make back. No issues. That said, someone stealing from you is not a good feeling!

So sorry. I have people working for me in Romania. Not sure what can be done to help you.
Did you really just make your first post to comment on a thread that started in 2013?
Old 9 December 2021, 10:26 AM   #341
VonSlingshot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Did you really just make your first post to comment on a thread that started in 2013?
Dunno what’s worse..... he waited pretty much FOUR YEARS to make his first post a necrobump one.

Facepalm....
Old 16 December 2021, 08:48 AM   #342
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSlingshot View Post
Dunno what’s worse..... he waited pretty much FOUR YEARS to make his first post a necrobump one.

Facepalm....
And Maths not your strong point, it’s THREE YEARS.

Facepalm……………
Old 16 December 2021, 10:09 AM   #343
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
And Maths not your strong point, it’s THREE YEARS.

Facepalm……………

it’s Actually 5+ years: 10/2016 - 12/2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2021, 01:02 AM   #344
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
it’s Actually 5+ years: 10/2016 - 12/2021.

Get with it.

The reference was to rix-watch who joined in December 2018, that’s THREE YEARS not 5+
Old 17 December 2021, 01:05 AM   #345
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Nope — It’s actually eight (8) years: 2018-2021 + 2017-2018 + 2013-2017.

Old 17 December 2021, 07:37 PM   #346
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Nope — It’s actually eight (8) years: 2018-2021 + 2017-2018 + 2013-2017.

What are you talking about ?

I was referring to the previous few threads were about rix-watch making his first post since joining in December 2018.

Not the length of time the thread has been running.

As I said, get with it.
Closed Thread