The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 July 2014, 01:58 AM   #91
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Very unfortunate to read this; unfortunately, not all sellers are ones who can be "trusted."

Gus - good luck in receiving full satisfaction from this POS.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 02:58 AM   #92
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
The seller owes the buyer.
AND, why would the buyer accept USPS rather than UPS or FedEx overnight for a piece that was bought via wire? Don't do that again!
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 03:04 AM   #93
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post
The seller owes the buyer.
AND, why would the buyer accept USPS rather than UPS or FedEx overnight for a piece that was bought via wire? Don't do that again!
Because it's the safest way to ship a watch?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 03:35 AM   #94
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

^ Apparently not, mate.

Wot I'm thinkin' is that if a piece costs enough to warrant a wire purchase, then I'd like it overnighted. I've used USPS overnight and Priority mail countless times for domestic and international without a problem. I've also not had a problem with non-delivery with UPS or FedEx (once FedEx took 2 days and didn't charge me).

But, I don't think that USPS is more reliable than the others. Registered mail is pretty sale, I reckon, but takes a long time and there's no trackingdue to security.

I guess bad luck can strike at anytime.
Old 25 July 2014, 03:41 AM   #95
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post
^Apparently not, mate.
Are you saying you think the watch was lost by USPS?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 03:46 AM   #96
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

^ Please see amended comments. I thought it was sent via USPS and didn't arrive?

>>>just read the thread more closely. Sorry Gus - bad business.

I still maintain that FedEx or UPS Priority overnight is the way to go domestically, unless it's a relatively small amount.
Old 25 July 2014, 04:41 PM   #97
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I am sorry that you have to go through this crap, Gus. I'm hoping that everything works out for you.

After a few minutes of digging around, I believe that this account also belongs to Robert:

http://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=4482

Can anybody tell us why that account was banned? Another deal gone wrong? This doesn't look good for Robert.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2014, 08:47 PM   #98
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I am sorry that you have to go through this crap, Gus. I'm hoping that everything works out for you.

After a few minutes of digging around, I believe that this account also belongs to Robert:

http://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=4482

Can anybody tell us why that account was banned? Another deal gone wrong? This doesn't look good for Robert.
Not the same IP as Survivor and he was banned by one of the Mods for being rude and argumentative.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2014, 01:03 AM   #99
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Not the same IP as Survivor and he was banned by one of the Mods for being rude and argumentative.
He probably changed his IP address.

Take a look at these threads:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=274914

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=195912

Same watch for sale. Same email address. Same guy.

It doesn't matter at this point. I thought that, maybe, his first account was banned because he ripped somebody else off. If that was the case, Gus could have added this information to his police report.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 01:15 AM   #100
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
He probably changed his IP address.

Take a look at these threads:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=274914

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=195912

Same watch for sale. Same email address. Same guy.

It doesn't matter at this point. I thought that, maybe, his first account was banned because he ripped somebody else off. If that was the case, Gus could have added this information to his police report.
You are correct...What a shame!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 28 July 2014, 03:56 AM   #101
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Sorry to hear about the potential loss I still don't hear the fat lady singing...here is why.

USPS is the absolute worse service to use when shipping...I never use them for anything of significant value. If you want to make sure your stuff gets from A to B then don't use USPS.

I would seriously check your local USPS (the location that your packages get held at if your not home)...it could be hidden in the back some where, seriously.

The USPS tracking system is absolute crap and the delivery guys don't always leave a ticket. I can already recall 10 instances where I had to go to my local USPS to pick up a package forcefully. What I mean by that is their system has not updated, there is no ticket at my door or mailbox and I know that enough time has passed for the delivery. Make them search for it!

If he provided you a receipt, and you tracked it from west to east then he sent something...

I agree...banning isn't the right thing to do right now. Get your butt to your local USPS with the tracking information and be prepared to wait. Go early so the line is very short...

Last thing...always use Pay Pal...no Gift Crap and swallow the 3%. You would be paid by now!
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 05:07 AM   #102
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Registered mail (USPS) is a very secure way of shipping. It has to actually be done (some think they are sending registered when it is actually Certified or Insured). And Return receipt requested. And insured for the full amount. I was a mail clerk once upon a time. Their tracking is not great, however. But the chain of evidence is very strong, each person handling it must sign.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 05:37 AM   #103
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

For clarification, the USPS services I typically use are Overnight and Priority Mail...have had issues with both.

RM seems pretty decent but with the issues Ive had with the USPS Id still go with another carrier. And NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER wire any money to anyone; I don't care how trusted they are. You never know how someone will react when they need to comp you for a watch during an issue like this. Pay with Pay Pal and swallow the 3%...if you have issues (like this) then you get your money back.

I highly recommend going to the PO in person and make sure they put in a good effort looking for it.
Old 28 July 2014, 09:00 AM   #104
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco8gator View Post
For clarification, the USPS services I typically use are Overnight and Priority Mail...have had issues with both.

RM seems pretty decent but with the issues Ive had with the USPS Id still go with another carrier. And NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER wire any money to anyone; I don't care how trusted they are. You never know how someone will react when they need to comp you for a watch during an issue like this. Pay with Pay Pal and swallow the 3%...if you have issues (like this) then you get your money back.

I highly recommend going to the PO in person and make sure they put in a good effort looking for it.
Really. Never wire money to anyone. So, what would you suggest if the seller wants to protect himself?

You wrote that you typically use USPS, but then you go on and write that "I'd still go with another carrier (referring to the USPS.)"
Which carrier do you recommend and how would you insure it?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 09:31 AM   #105
HL65

Quote:

I agree...banning isn't the right thing to do right now.
Good that you aren't a moderator here! Good riddance and glad he is gone as to this day he still isn't responding to Gus!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 28 July 2014, 11:17 AM   #106
Lgear080
Banned

I'd really like to know what's up with the police report.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 11:27 AM   #107
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Use Pay Pal and just swallow the 3% fee and fund the transaction through a credit card. If you have an issue like this you will get your money back. Any seller that I have ever dealt with has taken this form of payment with no issue. If the sell a good product they have nothing to worry about. And how I protect myself is provide PP with significant evidence that what was described was shipped; include all tracking info...they have an option to upload all sorts of info.

For items that are very important I like Fedex or UPS. Very good tracking, and things always seem to work out right with them and I have never had an issue when the seller sends the package using those services.

BTW, I have had MANY transactions selling electronic items online via forums and for a lot of items USPS is definitely more convenient and economical. I do use their service a lot but only for lower $$ items (less than $1000)

When packages were delivered to me via USPS, I have had numerous issues with USPS and have had to force the clerk to go and search for my items in the back and they have always found them. I never got a ticket at my door or mail box and never saw a status update on the website. In each case the only reason I went to the PO was because 1 week passed on a Priority Mail delivery(3 days max).

Bottom line...get your butt to your local USPS and do a face to face and force them to search for it. Not saying its there but it could be...
Old 28 July 2014, 11:34 AM   #108
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

And yes banning him isn't the right thing right now, mainly because the buyer has not explicitly said that he personally went to the USPS and made them look for it.

But he did mention that there is evidence that something got shipped from the WC to the EC...

I hope this comes to a resolution soon but until we hear that results from the buyer after visiting the local USPS then this case is still open in my book. Monday is a new day and hopefully your lucky day. Take the time to go and make them look for your watch.
Old 28 July 2014, 02:36 PM   #109
Chelseafan
Banned

Sorry not to be able to add hope here...I had a very similar incident. The police did take a report but would do nothing. They said it was not theft but fraud and that its down to me to sue. Good luck!
Chelseafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2014, 07:37 PM   #110
HL65

Quote:
And yes banning him isn't the right thing right now, mainly because the buyer has not explicitly said that he personally went to the USPS and made them look for it.

But he did mention that there is evidence that something got shipped from the WC to the EC...

I hope this comes to a resolution soon but until we hear that results from the buyer after visiting the local USPS then this case is still open in my book. Monday is a new day and hopefully your lucky day. Take the time to go and make them look for your watch.
Again it is a good thing you aren't a moderator here as we might have to ban you.

As for PayPal vs. wire: I would never sell a watch to anyone using Paypal nor would most of our best sellers here. Plenty of people have ripped off by Paypal buyers who will get a watch and return a fake or empty box and then get their money back as Paypal favors buyers and the seller is screwed. NO wire No watch!

We have some amazing sellers here and if buyers dealt with trusted sellers who have pages and pages of solid feedback instead of members like Robert Young who has ZERO feedback we wouldn't have threads like this. I have said it time and time over again do your homework and buy the seller. Don't deal with people that aren't well known highly reputable sellers. If you do then you own the risk and it isn't a smart thing to gamble when it comes to high priced items to save a few bucks.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 28 July 2014, 10:57 PM   #111
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

I have purchased watches (more than 1) from one of your trusted sellers with many positive transactions using Pay Pal. No issues and they were more than happy to accept the payment. Again there is a level of due diligence with PP that is required to protect the seller.

In the realm that I sell electronics, payment via PP is normal and usually the only form trusted because its the only one that actually can protect the buyer...i guess one extreme vs another.

I am not trying to troll here just trying to provide a different view on things.

Regardless, there could still be hope in this matter... I hope the buyer makes it to the USPS is person and makes them search for it.

I look forward to hopefully hearing some good news...bottom line, something was shipped...it seems that no one knows what that is yet...
Old 29 July 2014, 12:13 AM   #112
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post

As for PayPal vs. wire: I would never sell a watch to anyone using Paypal nor would most of our best sellers here. Plenty of people have ripped off by Paypal buyers who will get a watch and return a fake or empty box and then get their money back as Paypal favors buyers and the seller is screwed. NO wire No watch!
Actually, one of TRF's best sellers does accept Paypal - I used it to purchase my GMT from him. To me, the buyer has to, and should have some level of protection, and to think otherwise is, in a word, unreasonable.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 02:25 AM   #113
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
I have purchased watches (more than 1) from one of your trusted sellers with many positive transactions using Pay Pal. No issues and they were more than happy to accept the payment. Again there is a level of due diligence with PP that is required to protect the seller.

In the realm that I sell electronics, payment via PP is normal and usually the only form trusted because its the only one that actually can protect the buyer...i guess one extreme vs another.

I am not trying to troll here just trying to provide a different view on things.

Regardless, there could still be hope in this matter... I hope the buyer makes it to the USPS is person and makes them search for it.

I look forward to hopefully hearing some good news...bottom line, something was shipped...it seems that no one knows what that is yet...
I would like to say that there are many payment options regarding a purchase. While your comments are obviously directed at buyers - - sellers also have concerns against fraudulent sales. Personally, I do not, and will not, take paypal. I've sold a few watches and parts the past few years and direct wire has worked very well for me and the buyers. How a transaction is conducted is left to the buyer and seller. If paypal works for both, then that is certainly an option. Direct wire is also a very secure method of payment. I have purchased a few watches from sellers here and elsewhere and, based on the sellers reputation, I have never hesitated using a direct wire payment. As Ken (HL65) stated, be careful where and from whom you purchase. There have been many threads on this forum regarding secure methods of purchase, whether on TRF or elsewhere.

Fedex does not insure jewelery or watches. UPS rates are outrageous and they have the worst record for reimbursing you on a claim. The USPS has faults like most carriers, but it is the preferred method of shipping by many sellers and the Rolex Service Centers - whether you agree or not. One reason that you always hear about USPS issues is that they ship 100x more packages than other carriers.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 08:28 AM   #114
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Actually, one of TRF's best sellers does accept Paypal - I used it to purchase my GMT from him. To me, the buyer has to, and should have some level of protection, and to think otherwise is, in a word, unreasonable.
As I said I would never accept Paypal nor would most of our best sellers. I did not use the word all so glad you found one.

The bottom line is if people bought from solid sellers with lots of solid feedback there wouldn't be threads like this and that is a FACT. If one wants some level of protection do your homework and buy from the very best and not a little to no feedback/no reputation cowboy.

Watch gets lost or not delivered trusted sellers like ones who posted in this thread refund 100% of money and they wait to get insurance money. All of the top ones use outside insurance policies that cover entire amount. That is on them not the buyer. I would never buy a watch from anyone other than an AD and a few very well known reputable sellers here that I have known personally for years. Enough said and at the end of the day it is sad and another painful internet lesson and story.

Sorry Gus! I know this stinks but life goes on my friend.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 29 July 2014, 03:01 PM   #115
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

All watches that I ship are insured through my USAA Valuable Personal Property Insurance. I use only FEDEX overnight and as long as its shipped with tracking and signature upon delivery its covered by USAA incase of loss.

I never ship on a Friday and try to avoid Thursday incase weather comes into play. I don't want it sitting around over the weekend. I've never had an issue. Ever.

We have a new Mod ? Who is this HL65 guy..
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2014, 07:13 PM   #116
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
All watches that I ship are insured through my USAA Valuable Personal Property Insurance. I use only FEDEX overnight and as long as its shipped with tracking and signature upon delivery its covered by USAA incase of loss.

I never ship on a Friday and try to avoid Thursday incase weather comes into play. I don't want it sitting around over the weekend. I've never had an issue. Ever.

We have a new Mod ? Who is this HL65 guy..

Amazing how a name change can throw so many people off!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 30 July 2014, 01:04 AM   #117
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter01 View Post
I had a scam like that w while back ( for much less money I'm sure ) adn USPS said it was accepted and passed through the initial sorting and even showed it in route, yet it had never been shipped. Just because it shows up on USPS doesn't mean it really was shipped.
How does this happen? Is the bogus seller in cahoots with a USPS insider that enters the false info into the system?
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 01:13 AM   #118
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
I had a similar situation a month ago, only difference being I was the seller. I sent the watch USPS Express for overnight delivery. My business insurance covers up to $25,000 for anything I ship Express or registered. The watch was last tracked leaving a sorting facility in Los Angeles on the day it was to be delivered there. After 48 hours and still no idea from USPS where the package was, I refunded the entire amount of the transaction, and had a stop delivery put on it. 6 days after it disappeared, it was located , and shipped back to me the next day. I contacted the seller and he still wanted the watch, but requested I use FedEx. It cost me $70 more to ship it but I had a happy customer, and I know I did the right thing. It's not difficult to be an honest seller.....
Thank you for that. Amidst the gloom of this thread it's nice to be reminded that most TRF transactions are on the up-and-up and both sellers and buyers are conscientious.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 12:31 PM   #119
Troy Boy
Banned

I thought I would wait until now to address the situation that has been going on for 2 months. My response will be to the point, with no extra personal feelings towards George/Gus or other members of the Forum........just the facts Agree or disagree.......obviously, your choice but this is exactly what transpired......

1.A deal was agreed upon to sell my "A' Serial SD4000 to George for $6750, shipping and insurance included.

2. It should be pointed out that we did have a short discussion about how to ship......I mentioned to him, during our negotiations, that I had just finished a deal for my Zenith Daytona, with a fellow in the DC area and I used Registered Mail......although it can take quite a bit longer, it is the safest way to ship and senders can insure for up to $25,000. George was anxious for the watch, so I shipped, using a fairly new service USPS had started called Priority Express.....guaranteed overnight, $5,000 Maximum Insurance. Emailed copies of all receipts to George, so he could track as well.

3. As I have never had a problem before shipping a watch, I didn't bother checking on the package. 2 or 3 days after shipping the item, I got an email from George stating the package had not arrived. I immediately went on USPS website to track the package and sure enough, the package had made it to NYC, left a sorting facility in NYC and was in route to the local Post Office and that's where the fun begins. The package never arrived to the Post Office, a Domestic Research Claim was filed. Unfortunately, it was Friday and not much was going to happen over the weekend although I did call the customer service line numerous times to check if anything new had happened. George also informed me that he went to the local Post Office at least 3 times to check.

4.Now that the Domestic Research Claim was filed, we had to give the Post Office 7 days to investigate. If the package was not found, I could file an Insurance Claim. If it was found, obviously, they would deliver. As we all know, the package was not found.

5.At the 7 day mark, I filed an insurance claim, copies of which were sent to George. Now, here's where our first issue came up..........upon receiving the confirmation of the submitted claim, there was a notation at the top stating that the maximum reimbursement on this claim would only be $1,000, even though my receipt and the claim form itself acknowledged my package was in fact insured for $5,000. George and I were both dumbfounded but there is no communication with the department that handles the Insurance for USPS.........you wait at least 30 days before you receive an email or letter response. I emailed George every drop of paperwork along the way.

6. As a result of this issue/question as to how much in fact USPS was reimbursing, as well as George beginning to get impatient with the process, I asked George to wait until the issue was resolved with USPS before I reimbursed him. George asked for half the money immediately and the balance once it was resolved. I told him I was not comfortable leaving an open ended resolution and would prefer to settle with him upfront if he could not wait out the process. Without going into too much detail, as it got pretty nasty, George rejected my offers, I rejected his but always with me stating to him that as soon as the USPS money arrives, I will send it to him and we'll discuss how to handle the rest. He would have none of it.

7. In the meanitime, after about 30 days, USPS sent a letter to me, requesting some additional paperwork. I sent it back immediately but unfortunately, the 30 day time clock started again. Updates were sent to George fairly regularly, showing the status of the claim as "pending".

8. Finally, last Friday, the claim showed approved and on Monday, arrived a check for $5,000. Naturally, I was elated that USPS came through..................I sent a copy of the check to George. George, still angry by the fact that I had not sent him money by now, acted not all that interested. Regardless, I sent out the check last night and told him that we can now discuss the balance. He doesn't want to talk to me as I have requested that he apologize if he has in fact made this situation appear to TRF and others as if it was some masterminded plan.. He's not interested but I'm sure we'll get there.

That's it in a nutshell......sure there were a lot of nasty emails and name calling along the way but, as I told him, I did exactly what I said I would do from Day 1. I understand some of you may disagree with how I handled it..........that's your perogative.
Troy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2014, 11:11 PM   #120
robertneville
"TRF" Member

Watch: me burn
As a seller of just about anything on ebay over the last 17 years (from computers to cars), the seller should always refund the buyers $$ when the buyer does not receive his goods. Its the risk you take as a seller, and you must stick it out with the loss until the USPS resolves. You should have done the right thing and given him a refund right away. just my 2 cents on how to be fair.

Motocross is life!
robertneville is offline   Reply With Quote