The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 31 December 2016, 11:30 AM   #91
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian86 View Post
Where would one go about acquiring an authentic blue bezel? I think a sub with black dial and blue bezel would look fanastic

Not sure really . . . maybe a Rolex watch that's being sold for parts? dunno. What is sure is I like your color scheme suggestion
Old 31 December 2016, 11:31 AM   #92
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Mike,

Read the thread.
You are a brave man.
The responses were generally as expected.
I have nothing to add except that gold is yellow so I am not a big fan of the original Rolex model and a mimic pushes my button even less.

Do try to source a genuine blue Rolex bezel.
Your modification would look much better and be genuine Rolex even if not original.

And loose the 68 year old excuse.

It sets a bad example for all us others 68 year olds who are not ready to kick the can yet.

Eddie.

Old 31 December 2016, 11:33 AM   #93
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Mods . . .

Thank you for allowing the thread to be kept open. I've learned a lot and I hope this "discussion" has provided for an interesting dialogue at a minimum and much more at the other end . . .
Old 31 December 2016, 11:34 AM   #94
luvsub
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for sharing, looks good!
Old 31 December 2016, 11:37 AM   #95
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Thx for comments guys, both + and -. For the record and for anybody interested or who cares, I did not do the mod/frank/whatever. I saw it for sale (along with a bunch of others) already done up. The blue bezel insert is after market and the OEM black dial from the watch was redone in blue and put back on. I'm sure if I searched/waited long enough, I maybe coulda' found one with OEM Rolex parts but uh, I'm 68 years old not 28 so time (no pun) is of a bit of essence.

As to "poser" and "fake", well wait till I post my Invicta and Steinhart holdings. I'll show 'em with my OEM Patek's/ALS's/BP's/etc and whoever posted that comment can go to town, heh . . .
That is not an OEM dial, the text is the wrong size and style, esp the Oyster part. It's a fake bezel and dial. I'd check if that is even a real Rolex inside, this is very dodgy now.
Old 31 December 2016, 11:47 AM   #96
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi Mike,

Read the thread.
You are a brave man.
The responses were generally as expected.
I have nothing to add except that gold is yellow so I am not a big fan of the original Rolex model and a mimic pushes my button even less.

Do try to source a genuine blue Rolex bezel.
Your modification would look much better and be genuine Rolex even if not original.

And loose the 68 year old excuse.

It sets a bad example for all us others 68 year olds who are not ready to kick the can yet.

Eddie.
Think I'll pass on the genuine blue bezel since this one doesn't bother me at all but I will certainly take the age suggestion to heart, even though my life doesn't mimic yours, thanks
Old 31 December 2016, 11:48 AM   #97
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That is not an OEM dial, the text is the wrong size and style, esp the Oyster part. It's a fake bezel and dial. I'd check if that is even a real Rolex inside, this is very dodgy now.
thx but no thx, i'm good, appreciate the input though
Old 31 December 2016, 11:53 AM   #98
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
It's your watch so if you are happy that's all that matters. 99% of the population would never notice anything off about it. But you are posting on a forum with people who are Rolex fanatics (many purists) so the replies you got should not come as a surprise.

As for me, I have no problem with modifications such as a jubilee on the BLNR or a red date wheel on the original SS PLT YMI but I like to keep it all OEM. Anything aftermarket or altered like the dial I am personally not a fan of. That's just me. Enjoy the watch
Old 31 December 2016, 12:05 PM   #99
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
In my opinion, with a collection such as yours you can do whatever you damn well please. It's not as if it was ever intended to be passed off as the white gold one. I would have it opened up and checked out though. Post interior pics here. Just peace of mind. There's some very dodgy 116610s out there that if the bezel and dial quality doesn't give them away have to be opened. Obviously you are aware that the bezel and dial aren't original so you need to ensure there's not a China Made 3135 clone in there.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 31 December 2016, 12:05 PM   #100
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
It's your watch so if you are happy that's all that matters. 99% of the population would never notice anything off about it. But you are posting on a forum with people who are Rolex fanatics (many purists) so the replies you got should not come as a surprise.

As for me, I have no problem with modifications such as a jubilee on the BLNR or a red date wheel on the original SS PLT YMI but I like to keep it all OEM. Anything aftermarket or altered like the dial I am personally not a fan of. That's just me. Enjoy the watch
Thank you so much for such open mindedness but more so for your civility, it seems to be in short supply sometimes
Old 31 December 2016, 12:05 PM   #101
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Your watch, your decisions. I personally like it. Enjoy it along the rest of your great collection.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:12 PM   #102
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
In my opinion, with a collection such as yours you can do whatever you damn well please. It's not as if it was ever intended to be passed off as the white gold one. I would have it opened up and checked out though. Post interior pics here. Just peace of mind. There's some very dodgy 116610s out there that if the bezel and dial quality doesn't give them away have to be opened. Obviously you are aware that the bezel and dial aren't original so you need to ensure there's not a China Made 3135 clone in there.
Thank you. The watch came with Rolex boxes and papers including sign/stamped AD warranty card (yes, I know the servicing issues but that's been covered in my previous responses) which matches the serial number. And so far, in the couple weeks that I've been wearing it non-stop, the time keeping has been spot on with no need for intervention from/by me. If the movement is not OEM Rolex, it works like one. But you have a good suggestion, stated with genuinely positive intention so will take that to heart!!!!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:18 PM   #103
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
This thread just doesn't add up.

Why would a guy who already has a bunch of high end watches be reluctant to drop the coin for a smurf? And, as far as being 68...it would be a heck of a lot quicker to buy a smurf then go through that mod process. I bet that didn't happen overnight.

I find it incredulous that if this is the route chosen to get the look of a smurf. And that this thread is still rolling along. But, be that as it may, I guess if one is going to use fake/aftermarket parts, being a little more discreet about it would be more in keeping with the decorum of this forum.
Old 31 December 2016, 12:25 PM   #104
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
This thread just doesn't add up.

Why would a guy who already has a bunch of high end watches be reluctant to drop the coin for a smurf? And, as far as being 68...it would be a heck of a lot quicker to buy a smurf then go through that mod process. I bet that didn't happen overnight.

I find it incredulous that if this is the route chosen to get the look of a smurf. And that this thread is still rolling along. But, be that as it may, I guess if one is going to use fake/aftermarket parts, being a little more discreet about it would be more in keeping with the decorum of this forum.
Not sure myself but since being first infected about 7 years ago, I've been criticized/scolded for a bunch of stuff, like having the gall to buy an IWC Ingy for so much money since it houses just a "pedestrian" movement, buying 4 of the same watch in diff dial colors (Reverso), etc, etc and so forth. Can't please everybody, just want to be sure I please myself.

I apologize for upsetting the decorum of the forum but the quickest way to shut this thread down (other than by mods) if desired is an end to further member input, which I don't mind since I'm headed off to a New Years eve of eve celebration soon and won't be able to respond.
Barring that, Im just gonna assume that it provides something of interest and keep on answering questions and giving my opinions too

Oh, and I don't know how long it took to do the job and I don't care. I bought it after it was way done, have you even read through the whole thread before responding/inputting . . .

Last edited by drhr; 31 December 2016 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer a ?
Old 31 December 2016, 12:26 PM   #105
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Thank you. The watch came with Rolex boxes and papers including sign/stamped AD warranty card (yes, I know the servicing issues but that's been covered in my previous responses) which matches the serial number. And so far, in the couple weeks that I've been wearing it non-stop, the time keeping has been spot on with no need for intervention from/by me. If the movement is not OEM Rolex, it works like one. But you have a good suggestion, stated with genuinely positive intention so will take that to heart!!!!
This is the terrifying thing. Chinese clones are exactly that - virtually identical in function, dimensions etc. To the point that part for part they're interchangeable with genuine parts in a fully original watch. Particularly concerning since Rolex are limiting the use of parts accounts for independent watchmakers lately. I recommend the watchout section since this sort of thing isn't discussed here but I think this info needs to be known.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 31 December 2016, 12:26 PM   #106
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
Your watch, your decisions. I personally like it. Enjoy it along the rest of your great collection.
Danka!!!!!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:27 PM   #107
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
This is the terrifying thing. Chinese clones are exactly that - virtually identical in function, dimensions etc. To the point that part for part they're interchangeable with genuine parts in a fully original watch. Particularly concerning since Rolex are limiting the use of parts accounts for independent watchmakers lately. I recommend the watchout section since this sort of thing isn't discussed here but I think this info needs to be known.
Thanks and, as I stated I'll take your suggestion as helpful and educational!!!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:42 PM   #108
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
They have a custom 16610 with blue bezel and dial on their site now for $6,450. Doesn't say if they are OEM or aftermarket parts, however.

OP, as long as when you look at it, it makes you smile, then that is all that matters. And from the sounds of it, it does. So enjoy.
Thanks for the legwork Brian and for the support!!!!
Old 31 December 2016, 12:58 PM   #109
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
Do what you feel like sir. Its your money anyway!
Old 31 December 2016, 01:06 PM   #110
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

What a shame some of the responses have been. DRHR is class act with a broad collection and, most importantly, never judgmental. He is just as happy discussing his Invicta as he is talking about his PP or ALS, and I've never seen him disparage anyone for what they owned or wore. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's happy so I am as well.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:06 PM   #111
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
Do what you feel like sir. Its your money anyway!
Indeed, thanks
Old 31 December 2016, 01:08 PM   #112
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
What a shame some of the responses have been. DRHR is class act with a broad collection and, most importantly, never judgmental. He is just as happy discussing his Invicta as he is talking about his PP or ALS, and I've never seen him disparage anyone for what they owned or wore. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's happy so I am as well.
Howdy bud Thx for joining the festivities, see/talk in the other place soon, Happy New Year!!!
Old 31 December 2016, 01:10 PM   #113
Rt0203
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll
Glad you are enjoying your new watch, wear it in good health.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed this discussion and your positive attitude toward some of the scrutiny. Hopefully you're truly happy with it and the opinions of others haven't affected your happiness with it.
Old 31 December 2016, 01:19 PM   #114
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt0203 View Post
Glad you are enjoying your new watch, wear it in good health.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed this discussion and your positive attitude toward some of the scrutiny. Hopefully you're truly happy with it and the opinions of others haven't affected your happiness with it.
Oh no worries, I love this thing and if that isn't coming through loud and clear, well nothing more I can say or do. And thanks so much for the comment on attitude, very meaningful to/for me too. Take care!!!
Old 31 December 2016, 01:29 PM   #115
Jannal
"TRF" Member

Nice, I like it.
Seiko: SBGX117 / SBGX335 / 7548 / SNE543P1
Old 31 December 2016, 01:37 PM   #116
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

A modded Rolex comes out fine . . .

Who cares? Why are some guys busting his balls so much? He came here to show his MODDED sub with AFTERMARKET parts, which he even states it's all aftermarket.

If all of his watches are genuine, then one can assume he has the money for a real WG Sub. In the end, who really cares? Just him, let him enjoy it, even if not 100% genuine.

It's not like he's trying to pass it off as the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 December 2016, 01:38 PM   #117
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
A modded Rolex comes out fine . . .

I like it.

Would it be cooler with a Smurf dial and bezel insert, yep. But would also cost a hell of a lot more, if you could source the parts.

And will a WG bezel insert fit in a SS bezel?? I thought I had heard it would not.

But I think this would be hot with just a dial swap with a WG sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 December 2016, 01:41 PM   #118
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Whatever makes you happy if your happy thats all that should matter .. Happy New Year!
Old 31 December 2016, 01:43 PM   #119
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
was kicked off, showed off too much stuff . . .
I hope you're joking?

I don't really care what you do to your watch but I assume you knew the sort of response you'd get here. Seems you're taking it well so
Old 31 December 2016, 02:07 PM   #120
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Yes you are very brave to start this thread! Glad to see that it has generated discussion from both sides.

While it would be great to source OEM parts for the 116619 I've never seen either bezel or dial for sale. Compare that to 116509 dials which are a dime a dozen.

I agree it's your money and watch so enjoy!
Closed Thread