The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2006, 02:53 AM   #1
----

My dog is nuts

Actually, that should be "My dog is nuts part 2" since I posted about the devil-dog once before.

Ever since a long trip we took a while back (we were gone for 7 weeks) our dog has not been the same. We had someone house/dog sit while we were away, but they really didn't do what we wanted them to do, which was keep the dog in his own, familiar surroundings. We have had our dog for 12 years, we and we got him when he was just over 1 year old. He's been a good dog, but has had his issues.

He now pretty much goes to the bathroon outside (something he had always been very good at before this trip) but for some strange reason after nearly 10 years of being put into a room while we are off at work, he has suddenly decided that being put in this room is a fate worse than death. This is a small room, but there is space for him to move around, lay down, etc. It's the sewing room (for lack of a better word) that also contains some cabinets, and the large freezer we have. He has started pawing at the freezer and baseboards surrounding the freezer. He has chewed up some of the wood trim, and he keeps turning the freezer up to full blast. My wife decided she was sick of adjusting the freezer temperatures all the time, so she put some duct tape around the knob to keep in place (Red Green anyone? )

Yesterday we came home, and he is whining like mad - more than usual. I opened the door to the room, and he shot out of there like a flash. Then we noticed that the knob for the freezer was completely missing. We searched the room, and it was gone. Did he eat it? That was what we were about to conclude, and were getting ready to ship him off to the vets for yet another large bill..... He came rushing back into the room in a frenzy, and spun around in cricles - his tail hit the door and made a "whack!" sound, which was not at all the sound I would expect. Well, he had the knob stuck to his tail with a piece of the duct tape we were using to hold the knob in place......LOL!

Today we took the bold step of leaving him out in the house while we are at work. I can only imagine what we will come home to..........

I only hope that this is the thing that allows him to settle down a bit. Other than this huge trauma of going into the room in the morning (usually dragged using a leash when he used to go in if we gave him a milk bone or just told him to go in) and the destruction in that room, he's a pretty good dog.....only mildly evil I would say.

Wish me luck tonight.....I'm not so much worried about him crapping on the floor as I am about my main speakers on the stereo, and the speakers on the surround system......on my, what have I done?

Old 8 February 2006, 03:45 AM   #2
Atomic

Al I dont envy you. Domesticated animals can be so destructive inside, that sometimes its not worth the trouble of feeding it, paying the vet bills, etc.

We had a cat and before we moved we had to get rid of her cuz she was getting spiteful (jealous of baby C perhaps). C has said she wants a cat or a dog... but at this point I am not ready for the responsibility, cuz I know Mrs. Atomic wont be into taking a dog out for late-night or early morning walks.

Nope, I dont think there will be a domesticated animal in our house for a long time, and I couldnt be happier!

Good luck!
Old 8 February 2006, 03:48 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
The two best days of your life are (1) the day the kids move out; and (2) the day the dog dies.

Then it's Free at last, free at last, great god almighty, free at last.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2006, 04:04 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey Al & Jacqui,

Is your dog's name JJ?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2006, 04:23 AM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hey Al & Jacqui,

Is your dog's name JJ?
With the shi**ing all over the floor I was wondering the same thing.
Old 8 February 2006, 04:23 AM   #6
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
The two best days of your life are (1) the day the kids move out; and (2) the day the dog dies.

LMAO Ed
Old 8 February 2006, 04:29 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:

Not so fast, pal. You just wait till the grandkids come back....with a vengeance!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2006, 04:37 AM   #8
----

Quote:
Hey Al & Jacqui,

Is your dog's name JJ?
No - if it was we would have put it down long ago......

Actually, we didn't name the dog, the previous owners did.......named him "Benji" - not a name I would have chosen.
Old 8 February 2006, 04:43 AM   #9
----

Quote:

Well Ed, we chose not to have any children, so I am one up on your in that regard already....

As far as the dog is concerned, even though he can be terror at times, you can't have something for 12 years and not get attached to it. I didn't want the dog initially, but when I said "No" to the idea of this free dog from the vet (yeah right!) my wife would not stop crying for days......I could only take so much of that and I caved.... The vet has been fair with us, not charging for many visits - he must feel guilty knowing that he
"gave" us this dog and is making a bundle off the bills.......

No doubt when this thing kicks the bucket the wife will be a wreck I'm sure (I might be as bad). I really can't imagine being without some kind of pet. Maybe it's time to look into another parrot as we used to have a Goffin's cockatoo. Even though it was loud sometimes, at least you could keep it in a cage if you wanted (provided you padlock the cage - smart little buggers they are....).
Old 8 February 2006, 05:47 AM   #10
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Al, I can feel your pain. I've got a two year-old Czech Shepard. He' a great dog and perfectly trained. Although it seems like if I go for a run, or take my little one to the playground at the beach and leave him behind he gets ticked off. It's as if he knows that he usually goes along for these events. But if for whatever reason, he gets left behind he likes to show me how he feels about it by either leaving a fresh pile in my bedroom or something that was left on a table top or counter usually takes it tough. I can't tell you how many remotes I've been through.

Last edited by C.J.; 8 February 2006 at 05:47 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2006, 08:52 AM   #11
----

Well, we have arrived home and there's good news! The dog, and all my belongings, survived...

Actually, the dog seems very relaxed tonight compared to the normal show he puts on when we get home.....this might be the ticket!
Old 8 February 2006, 11:49 PM   #12
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Well, we have arrived home and there's good news! The dog, and all my belongings, survived...

Actually, the dog seems very relaxed tonight compared to the normal show he puts on when we get home.....this might be the ticket!

So after years of confining him and putting up with whining and destruction, you just NOW realize he can be trusted to roam free in the house?

Glad the place wasn't destroyed. I had a Dalmatian who liked to eat drywall when she was a pup.
Old 9 February 2006, 03:10 AM   #13
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
So after years of confining him and putting up with whining and destruction, you just NOW realize he can be trusted to roam free in the house?

Glad the place wasn't destroyed. I had a Dalmatian who liked to eat drywall when she was a pup.
Well, I did kind of wonder if we should have done this a long time ago, but one day without trouble does not a success make......

Keeping my fingers crossed as we head into day 2......

Never fond of Dalmations - I have always heard they aren't very bright, is that true?
Old 9 February 2006, 04:09 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Well, I did kind of wonder if we should have done this a long time ago, but one day without trouble does not a success make......

Keeping my fingers crossed as we head into day 2......

Never fond of Dalmations - I have always heard they aren't very bright, is that true?
My Dal was too smart for her own good. Seriously... I've never had a dog or cat as smart as this one. She also had a great sense of humour... we had a lot of fun with her. Dal's are the dog of choice among circus performers because they can be trained to do so much.

They have a reputation for being high-strung, but only because they have so much energy and need to burn it off every day, and if they don't they get jumpy (so if you're lazy and don't want to give your dog a good walk at least once a day, don't get a Dal). The idea is to take them on a long walk/run and tire them out.
Old 9 February 2006, 04:16 AM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Not so fast, pal. You just wait till the grandkids come back....with a vengeance!!
Ah, but you can always send them home with their parents (on whom you wished children so they could see what trouble they are).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote