The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 06:58 PM   #151
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I have zero doubt that if you had to sell your watch prior to the expiry of the 12 month retention period for legitimate personal or financial reasons, your AD would return the card. It’s being done to both flush out and stop flipping purely for profit and resale to the grey market resellers. Not to create problems for legitimate buyers.

What I would say though I’d be 100% sure you’re not buying a BLNR based on hype and with the thought that if you don’t like it you can immediately sell on at no loss/small profit.

Card retention brings an end to those carefree days. Make sure you really want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its being done to exert undue influence on customers of a product to toe the line of the seller. Its disgraceful. If I buy a watch, wear it for 2 months and then want to sell it as I don't get on with it I can do so, its mine, the whole package, the warranty card and all. F*** the retailer for trying to stop me. Its nothing to do with them.
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:15 PM   #152
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
Its being done to exert undue influence on customers of a product to toe the line of the seller. Its disgraceful. If I buy a watch, wear it for 2 months and then want to sell it as I don't get on with it I can do so, its mine, the whole package, the warranty card and all. F*** the retailer for trying to stop me. Its nothing to do with them. They can go to hell
It is being done to exert 'due' influence on customers of a product to toe the line of the seller. The AD's are under pressure not to supply flippers with hard to get watches - this is a way to potentially supply new customers without a good AD track record with a piece. The other option is to restrict supply to only customers the AD's 'know' won't flip - not a fan of this option.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:20 PM   #153
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its being done to exert undue influence on customers of a product to toe the line of the seller. Its disgraceful. If I buy a watch, wear it for 2 months and then want to sell it as I don't get on with it I can do so, its mine, the whole package, the warranty card and all. F*** the retailer for trying to stop me. Its nothing to do with them. They can go to hell
which watches are you actually able to get from your AD? Which watches have you refused to buy because of the warranty card? which watches are you selling after two months? Is this just a principled stand that has nothing to do with you anyway in any real sense? Just curious.

As has been stated numerous times before... ROLEX is encouraging the AD's to do this, so your anger is misdirected. Be mad at Rolex all you want. The AD is just doing what is strongly suggested to them by their supplier. Their business depends on keeping Rolex happy, not you.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:36 PM   #154
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
which watches are you actually able to get from your AD? Which watches have you refused to buy because of the warranty card? which watches are you selling after two months? Is this just a principled stand that has nothing to do with you anyway in any real sense? Just curious.
I have to say that the AD I use is lovely and hasn't suggested anything of the sort. they are actually part of a larger chain. I am wondering whether the small dealers will be more included to get "too big for their boots" in this way
If any dealer did tell me this was what they were going to do, I would walk away. A piece of Jewellery is not worth my consumer rights

It is principled and its a slippery road to the end of consumer rights.

As someone wrote above, you can technically except anything from a dealer (legal or not), but I wouldn't.

I'll tell you a story about how nice my dealer is. I recently bought a Rolex from them. I have been in about 5 times to try it on (and other watches).
The penultimate time I said to him, "listen, I have been offered one of these, 2 years old, bracelet is slightly scratched but watch is mint. all papers. 7% off new price. On the other hand, if I buy new, the warranty is in my name. What do you think I should do". He said, its up to you, but I would probably get this second hand one, I mean after 5 years you won't notice the difference right ?". So I said, "thanks for the advice I'll think about it"

The next day I turned up and said that I decided to purchase new. I wanted my own scratches and the warranty card in my own name. The dealer said to me "at the end of the day, its emotion. You don't really need this watch, nobody NEEDS these watches. Its just your feeling, to make you happy"

What a nice guy. no pressure. Always chats to me about things. Doesn't encourage purchase. Wouldn't even think about withholding guarantee card. That's what I call service ...
Old 26 April 2018, 07:42 PM   #155
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

As has been stated numerous times before... ROLEX is encouraging the AD's to do this, so your anger is misdirected. Be mad at Rolex all you want. The AD is just doing what is strongly suggested to them by their supplier. Their business depends on keeping Rolex happy, not you.
Nail on head

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:44 PM   #156
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll tell you a story about how nice my dealer is. I recently bought a Rolex from them. I have been in about 5 times to try it on (and other watches).

The next day I turned up and said that I decided to purchase new.
you are not talking about what we are talking about. You are referring to non flippable watches. No AD i am aware of is retaining warranty cards for those.

Being able to try them on makes it clear its not a Daytona C or a SS sky dweller or a Hulk which is what we are talking about(flippable and scarce watches). No one is keeping a TT DJ warranty card for example.

Go to your AD and say you want a Daytona C. Then report back.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 April 2018, 07:52 PM   #157
sya
"TRF" Member

is this practice of keeping the warranty card a common practice in European countries now?
sya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:54 PM   #158
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you are not talking about what we are talking about. You are referring to non flippable watches. No AD i am aware of is retaining warranty cards for those.

Being able to try them on makes it clear its not a Daytona C or a SS sky dweller or a Hulk which is what we are talking about(flippable and scarce watches). No one is keeping a TT DJ warranty card for example.

Go to your AD and say you want a Daytona C. Then report back.
It wasn't a Daytona, no. But it was something I had reserved and they could sell it to someone else immediately.

I suspect they would be the same and relaxed for any item. They are just decent people.
Supplying the guarantee card, which is rightfully yours, is just part of the package

In terms of the SS sky dweller, my AD has one in the window :)
Old 26 April 2018, 07:57 PM   #159
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There is no law here, esp on retail matters, the law is merely what one can argue, and like with politicians a hundred arguments can be made either way, so who in their right mid would want the hassle of suing Rolex, even if they were CEO of Linklaters? We've had a thousand internet lawyers discuss this with far more outrage on TZ-UK a year ago when this first surfaced and guess what, Rolex have now endorsed it as official policy so obviously they don't care about these little temper tantrum flippers.
You missed my sarcasm. If he wants to take them on, thats fine. I wouldn't.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:58 PM   #160
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It wasn't a Daytona, no. But it was something I had reserved and they could sell it to someone else immediately.

I suspect they would be the same and relaxed for any item. They are just decent people.
Supplying the guarantee card, which is rightfully yours, is just part of the package

In terms of the SS sky dweller, my AD has one in the window :)
doubtful. Just sitting there available for someone to buy and flip since they are not keeping the card?

I think a lot of AD's have them (in the safe). On display with no strings attached for purchase, im not buying it.

You live in London, the scarcity capital of the world so where is your AD? You would think this exceptional AD behavior should be encouraged, so might as well refer some business their way
Old 26 April 2018, 08:00 PM   #161
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
doubtful. Just sitting there available for someone to buy and flip since they are not keeping the card?

I think a lot of AD's have them (in the safe). On display with no strings attached for purchase, im not buying it. You live in London, the scarcity capital of the world so where is your AD?
I'll post a picture later as I am walking past them. If they still have it. They have had it for a week so far.
Isle of Dogs :)

They are the kind of dealer that has everything in the window or on display inside. nothing underhand. Its why they are lovely

There is a good reason London is the scarcity capital. The GBP devalue and the cheap flights here. However GBP is on the way up again so hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly ;)
Old 26 April 2018, 08:03 PM   #162
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
that's not nice
I'll post a picture later as I am walking past them. If they still have it. They have had it for a week so far.
Canary Wharf

They are the kind of dealer that has everything in the window or on display inside. nothing underhand. Its why they are lovely
right, then give them a shout out. This behavior should be encouraged. Ill buy it today as will about 1000 people here. No sense in making this AD who is a good AD hold inventory and not make money. Im being serious, not sarcastic.

Got to be DM Robinson as no way its WoS.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:06 PM   #163
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
You couldn't sue Rolex. As the contract is between you and the dealer.
As I said above. They are completely legally isolated from this. Just pressuring their more fragile pawns.

Small dealers who loose Rolex franchises tend to go bust

although a few have turned into grey market importers and made more money then when they were dealers :)
Old 26 April 2018, 08:09 PM   #164
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
right, then give them a shout out. This behavior should be encouraged. Ill buy it today as will about 1000 people here. No sense in making this AD who is a good AD hold inventory and not make money. Im being serious, not sarcastic.

wait... you edited your post... canary wharf AD and now its isle of dogs AD?
Canary Wharf is in the Isle of dogs !!!
They have a very high turnover, due to the clientele and relative isolation of the environment, unlike central London which has a Rolex dealer every corner.
And BTW they are not the dealer in the Jubilee Centre, the other one !!!

Seriously, I never realised the sky dweller was in such high demand. Well I learn something new every day.
Call before you come to avoid disappointment ....
Old 26 April 2018, 08:14 PM   #165
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Canary Wharf is in the Isle of dogs !!!
They have a very high turnover, due to the clientele and relative isolation of the environment, unlike central London which has a Rolex dealer every corner.
And BTW they are not the dealer in the Jubilee Centre, the other one !!!

Seriously, I never realised the sky dweller was in such high demand. Well I learn something new every day.
Call before you come to avoid disappointment ....
yeah, i thought it didn't include CF and was just south of it. There isnt any AD's that far down AFAIK. Same difference i guess though.
Old 26 April 2018, 08:18 PM   #166
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Isle of Dogs :)

There is a good reason London is the scarcity capital. The GBP devalue and the cheap flights here. However GBP is on the way up again so hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly ;)
I'm willing to bet it was a WG SkyD you saw and not a SS. Easy to make that mistake!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:49 PM   #167
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think it's not so bad as idea and intention. But I doubt it will work. Flippers will simply explain what's the matter to their customers and take in charge the watch for guarantee issues of necessary. After one year they will forward the plastic guarantee card.
Bruno Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:38 PM   #168
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
yeah, i thought it didn't include CF and was just south of it. There isnt any AD's that far down AFAIK. Same difference i guess though.
There are only two AD's listed in the area - David M Robinson at Jubilee place and Watches of Switzerland.

Its all a bit cloak and dagger from the Colonel, from the reference in question bought to the name of the "AD"

If its "the other one" then it has to be WoS, so there's somethng rather strange about the whole story here

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:43 PM   #169
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I'm willing to bet it was a WG SkyD you saw and not a SS. Easy to make that mistake!
Could well be, I'm not an expert on that watch
Best to contact them if interested and good luck !
Old 26 April 2018, 09:43 PM   #170
snipermaverick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Datejust View Post
I think it's not so bad as idea and intention. But I doubt it will work. Flippers will simply explain what's the matter to their customers and take in charge the watch for guarantee issues of necessary. After one year they will forward the plastic guarantee card.
Do the ADs give the warranty card back after 6 months (or 12months), on the condition that they see the watch physically or is it just mailed to the purchaser's address once the 6 months is up?
snipermaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:49 PM   #171
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipermaverick View Post
Do the ADs give the warranty card back after 6 months (or 12months), on the condition that they see the watch physically or is it just mailed to the purchaser's address once the 6 months is up?
There is a lot of assumption here that this is standard practise

I am pretty sure its not

Therefore its dependent on the individual dealer

Always remember - you have a choice !!
Old 26 April 2018, 09:51 PM   #172
Flier
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
If the watch is hot and wanted by many,people would still buy it without a warranty card
Surely it would stop some individuals but getting your hands on a watch three months after Basel would surely not be an issue for the serious Rolex follower
Besides we all know now the ADs play this game so actually it makes it easier to sell a watch that an AD kept the card
Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:53 PM   #173
jpcwon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, Lg Reverso
I'm of the mindset that once you hand over your money, that watch is your property and you can do whatever you wish to do with it. I get why they do it, but if my AD did that I'd be slightly annoyed. My datejust is a keeper, but I'd still want the card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2018, 10:09 PM   #174
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I know Dave, I was backing you up, the law is an ass in this context as is citing it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:10 PM   #175
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcwon View Post
I'm of the mindset that once you hand over your money, that watch is your property and you can do whatever you wish to do with it. I get why they do it, but if my AD did that I'd be slightly annoyed. My datejust is a keeper, but I'd still want the card.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Completely agree

It’s clear there are two sides here that will not meet

One set of folk feel that they are happy to pay full price for something they only receive partial delivery of, so that the seller can control their behaviour for something they legally own, for a significant period of time thereafter

The other set (me) would not pay for something that I did not have full delivery of

As simple as that

What worries me about the first group is that the bigger they are the more they give respectability to this sharp practise and therefore effect everyone
Old 26 April 2018, 10:16 PM   #176
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Completely agree

It’s clear there are two sides here that will not meet

One set of folk feel that they are happy to pay full price for something they only receive partial delivery of so that the seller can control their behaviour for something they legally for a significant period of time thereafter

The other set (me) would not pay for something that I did not have full delivery of

As simple as that

What worries me about the first group is that the bigger they are the more they give respectability to this sharp practise and therefore effect everyone
No the difference is timing. In the UK many of us have been outraged/annoyed/frustrated by the situation for well over a year now, but with nothing changing drastic measures need to be made so the flippers don't overtake the entire brand, which is Rolex's greatest fear. That is the reality. For newbies this must all seem crazy, but as I've often said that's the difference between being in the middle of a war and merely theorising about one, it's like talking about the horrors of war in 1913 and then in 1917.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 10:23 PM   #177
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No the difference is timing. In the UK many of us have been outraged/annoyed/frustrated by the situation for well over a year now, but with nothing changing drastic measures need to be made. That is the reality. For newbies this must all seem crazy, but as I've often said that's the difference between being in the middle of a war and merely theorising about one, it's like talking about the horrors of war in 1913 and 1917.
We can go analogy crazy

It’s true I have only become interested in Rolex in the last few years, although I have been a watch nut for years

However it does amaze me that people can want something, that is functionally useless for their lives, which they are willing to be treated so badly for and have their basic rights compromised

I am an amateur photographer and mainly shoot Leica. When a new M comes out there are always a number of flippers for the first one or two years, selling new cameras on eBay for £1000 and above more. I am happy to wait for my allocation but I suppose there must be a market for people to pay more as I see them being sold. Not exactly the same but I guess people have a choice based on perceived peer pressure

The thing to say is that only some dealers do this and you have a choice ...
Old 26 April 2018, 10:27 PM   #178
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sya View Post
is this practice of keeping the warranty card a common practice in European countries now?
No, only by some AD's in the UK
Old 26 April 2018, 10:49 PM   #179
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Snipermaverick: I wrote what I suppose could happen in future. ADs will let have guarantee cards to their purchasers (flippers) and these will forward them to final purchaser. To stop bargain flipping other measures are necessary. I would not buy a watch for more than retail price. ����
Bruno Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 11:04 PM   #180
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I’m pretty certain, the second you pay for it, you can demand the card. At that point it is 100% your property.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote