The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2017, 07:12 PM   #1
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Daytona: Poor legibility?

There's consensus among Daytona owner (or ex-owner) that it's hard to read due to low contrast between dial and polished hand.

Solution, get this TT model. The highly polished gold outline basically catch even slightest light and scream back at you.

Question: Does the Arabic blue racing dial have same legibility? Was considering trading this up for that but seem like too much color palette. Blue, red, gold, black and white (lol)
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:18 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I still can't read it.

I love the aesthetics of the Daytona's, but can't see the time without putting my reading glasses on, which ruin's it for me. I'm consigned to admiring other's from afar.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:22 PM   #3
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I still can't read it.

I love the aesthetics of the Daytona's, but can't see the time without putting my reading glasses on, which ruin's it for me. I'm consigned to admiring other's from afar.
That's fair. Perhaps I will have same problem in the future lol
Old 19 June 2017, 07:55 PM   #4
meganfox17
Banned

That's ref 116523 isnt it?Is the black dial treated with a polished or lacquered finish?
I always believe (minus a generous superluminova coating on the hands ) ,the clarity and legibility of any watch could improve if it had a black dial with a grainy texture and a matte finish.

Then depending on the lighting conditions, the dial colour would change from black to charcoal grey and vice-versa.That's how the German watchmaker brands execute the dial finish on a dress watch when the hands have poor lume

Last edited by meganfox17; 19 June 2017 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: 3
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 08:20 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
For me it is only some what about the legibility, it is about size. I like the Daytona and have owned several over the years but not any now based on size and price.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 08:37 PM   #6
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
That's ref 116523 isnt it?Is the black dial treated with a polished or lacquered finish?
I always believe (minus a generous superluminova coating on the hands ) ,the clarity and legibility of any watch could improve if it had a black dial with a grainy texture and a matte finish.

Then depending on the lighting conditions, the dial colour would change from black to charcoal grey and vice-versa.That's how the German watchmaker brands execute the dial finish on a dress watch when the hands have poor lume
It's the newer 116503 (noticed the bezel marking ala ceramic version?). The black dial is glossy/lacquered type but less glossy compared to SubC.
Old 19 June 2017, 08:51 PM   #7
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
I agree. For me it's about the look. I don't care if it takes 2 seconds to tell the time. If it does, it means I've spent more time gazing at the beautiful dial.
Unless you need to tell the time in an instant, which is probably such a small percentage of people, it's not that important. Nobody buys a watch just to tell the time.
They buy for beauty, to mark an occasion, to hold wealth. If they bought just to tell the time and not for any of the three above reasons - they would buy a radio signal digital plastic Casio. This tells time more accurately, costs nothing and stands up to the riggers of life. Wouldn't have to worry if it was accurate, if you might get mugged, if you damage it etc.
When folks post about a watch not be very legible, I wish there were to go further by saying how that effects them. Eg. I'm always in meetings and it looks rude to stare at one's watch. Or I'm a race driver and need to time laps. Etc. But no, they don't say how it effects them. Just bought a Rolex, it's not legible, now I'm flipping it - well clever you. This last sentence does not apply to the OP, but to plethora posters over the years.
ALL POSTERS, FROM NOW ON IF YOU MENTIION LEGIBILITY ISSUES - SAY HOW AND WHY THAT EFFECTS YOU, SO THE READER CAN GET A TRUE UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR WOES.
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 08:59 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
For me, any chrono is tougher to read simply because there's more going on with the dial.

From my perspective sticks on the Daytona dial are the easiest to read. Arabics look cool, but make the dial a bit too busy for my taste
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 09:24 PM   #9
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
One of the best looking dials/watch, but too small overall for my taste. The main reason I flipped mines.
Old 19 June 2017, 09:27 PM   #10
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Great watch, have your tried it with rubber? I love that model on black rubber
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 09:31 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have no issues reading my 116520 white dial. I passed buying the black dial because I could not read it.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 09:50 PM   #12
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Fair argument. Even if Rolex advertised it as a tool watch for high speed motoring, I doubt any sane driver will use it to time their lap. Both hands should be on the wheel, eyes on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
Great watch, have your tried it with rubber? I love that model on black rubber
I love rubber and waiting for it to arrive.
Old 19 June 2017, 10:18 PM   #13
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
My white thin hand model is readable. Always. I was very surprised how readable it is based on comments online.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 11:41 PM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
When I was in that awkward "need reading glasses to see anything up close" stage, the Daytona was pretty much off the table for me. Although I found the white to be somewhat more legible.

Now I'm lucky that my eyes have completely failed and I'm in the "need glasses now for everything" stage, it's all good. Daytona's of all colors shapes and sizes welcome.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 12:09 AM   #15
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Yes.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 12:24 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I think it depends on the dial/sub-dial colors. I've had no problems with the modern Daytonas I've owned: 116520-white, black, 116505-panda. The 116520-white was the keeper and legibility works great for me in all but the brightest, direct sunlight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona-116520.jpg (157.3 KB, 343 views)
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 01:24 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Don't buy a top watch unless you need one, imho. If legibility is the primary concern then best off getting a sports model.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 05:51 AM   #18
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I have a new Daytona C white and I find it a little trickier to tell time at a glance than my others. Its too beautiful for it to be an issue for me though.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 06:42 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I found the sub dials to be too hard to read on both the stainless steel models just discontinued. I think the new white dial is easier to read. There is so much going on the dial which adds to the problem. Why do they need all the lines of printing. The earliest versions did not have that.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote