The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 October 2018, 09:18 PM   #1
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Christopher Ward watches?

Hello

What's the general opinion on Christopher Ward watches?

I've seen a few pictures in motoring magazines advertising CW watches but I don't know anything about them.

Thanks
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Cryten
"TRF" Member

They're not bad for the money, the quality is certainly there.

The design is the biggest drawback (or appeal depending on your angle). Whereas Steinhart copies Rolex, Christopher Ward copies Omega, so if you're happy wearing an Omega copy it might be the watch for you.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 11:08 PM   #3
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
The Trident I handled seemed to be a quality piece. The autos are mostly 2824 ETA movements if I recall correctly. Which is no issue for me. Watch out for the cheap ones as they are likely quartz. (Unless you are looking for a quartz watch)

For the money I think they are a good value. I would also look at Monta Watches. Little bit higher price point, but they are phenomenally built. The bracelets are incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 11:08 PM   #4
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Thanks for this.

I've just seen a picture of their C65 Trident GMT. Generally I'm not keen on GMT watches but I didn't think this one was bad.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I think I would rather add a bit more cash and go for a Tudor

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 06:55 AM   #6
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Thanks for this.

I've just seen a picture of their C65 Trident GMT. Generally I'm not keen on GMT watches but I didn't think this one was bad.
Their 38mm Trident GMT diver appeals to me. It's your standard 2893-2 GMT movement, but they didn't blow the case up to terrible proportions so it may actually fit well on smaller wrists (like mine).

The only thing I don't like about their watches is the dang trident at the balance of the second hand... Looks too gimmicky for my taste, and is probably why I haven't picked one up.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2018, 12:16 AM   #7
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

I've got one of their "dress" watches so can't comment on the Trident. That said, I'm pleased with the quality for the price.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Judah
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I think I would rather add a bit more cash and go for a Tudor
This right here!
Judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2018, 08:56 PM   #9
TG3N
"TRF" Member

I’d prefer a Tudor as well, but it’s hardly just a ‘bit’ more cash when a Black Bay is almost four times more expensive than a CW Trident (if you buy at discount, which you’d be mad not to). It’s not 4x the watch though.

This topic crops-up very often and there’s multiple similar threads that a google search will bring-up, including several lengthy posts by myself with more info.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 07:21 PM   #10
Enicarman
"TRF" Member

I just love this GMT version, and cannot speak too highly of it. I have two Rolex GMTs but find myself wearing this more often. The ETA 2893 movement keeps within 2 sec a day unless running down. Once wearing it to bed, I must have had it in a crown-up position while I slept, and it lost 5 seconds overnignt. That was an unusual event.
This watch has a solid quality of finish and build (600 meter water resistant) that pleases me no end. Mine is the 43mm version, and it is heavy. For smaller wrists I suggest the 38 mm.
Below is my Rolex for comparison.

The Rolex has very sharp pointy lug ends which I don't like. Being a random serial number, I don't know when it was made and hence if it has the problematic hour-hand clip spring. It is lighter and smaller than the Ward, but to change the date one has to crank the hour hand through the days, The Ward had a quick set date.
Enicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 01:31 AM   #11
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enicarman View Post

I just love this GMT version, and cannot speak too highly of it. I have two Rolex GMTs but find myself wearing this more often. The ETA 2893 movement keeps within 2 sec a day unless running down. Once wearing it to bed, I must have had it in a crown-up position while I slept, and it lost 5 seconds overnignt. That was an unusual event.
This watch has a solid quality of finish and build (600 meter water resistant) that pleases me no end. Mine is the 43mm version, and it is heavy. For smaller wrists I suggest the 38 mm.

The Rolex has very sharp pointy lug ends which I don't like. Being a random serial number, I don't know when it was made and hence if it has the problematic hour-hand clip spring. It is lighter and smaller than the Ward, but to change the date one has to crank the hour hand through the days, The Ward had a quick set date.
The Ward has an easier date set function than the Rolex? Is that a function of how the GMT complication works on each? If I recall correctly, the Rolex (and Omega) have more of a "true" GMT function than these lower priced watches?

That's amazing that you are getting +2/day from your watch. For the 38mm version of your watch I only see the red bezel available.
https://www.christopherward.com/watc...nt-pro-gmt-600

This CW GMT looks interesting. I guess its the same movement as yours. Its says the accuracy is +/-20 day. I guess it has to say this as there is no guarantee it will work better?
https://www.christopherward.com/c65-trident-gmt-3
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 01:35 AM   #12
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Monta Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
I would also look at Monta Watches. Little bit higher price point, but they are phenomenally built. The bracelets are incredible.
I had never heard of Monta? This GMT looks interesting for $1700. It says the movement is +/-5.

https://montawatch.com/products/skyquest

What other sport GMT watches would people recommend in the vast $500 (Steinhart) to $1700 (Monta) range?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #13
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I had never heard of Monta? This GMT looks interesting for $1700. It says the movement is +/-5.

https://montawatch.com/products/skyquest

What other sport GMT watches would people recommend in the vast $500 (Steinhart) to $1700 (Monta) range?

Since you asked. Don’t remember all the parameters, but this is a cool one. From what I hear Monta is having some supply issues right now, so call them before you decide on that one to see what the eta is. I am not sure of the affected models. They are in St. Louis.

https://www.archimede-watches.com/pi...onze-s-ls.html

Old 19 November 2018, 10:26 AM   #14
Enicarman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Ward has an easier date set function than the Rolex? Is that a function of how the GMT complication works on each? If I recall correctly, the Rolex (and Omega) have more of a "true" GMT function than these lower priced watches?

That's amazing that you are getting +2/day from your watch. For the 38mm version of your watch I only see the red bezel available.

This CW GMT looks interesting. I guess its the same movement as yours. Its says the accuracy is +/-20 day. I guess it has to say this as there is no guarantee it will work better?
"True GMT function" is a rather nebulous concept. Bear in mind that the early Rolex GMTs (I have one from 1959) gave you GMT time only via the rotating bezel. The 24 hour hand was tied into the normal hour hand and could NOT be separately adjusted.
The Christopher Ward allows one to independently move the GMT hand without upsetting the time setting.
Now this is different from the new Rolex GMT which sets the watch by the GMT hand, but allows you to independently set the hour hand. This has advantages in that you can read the time, when in a different time zone, in the normal way.
With the C.Ward, you have two options. Reset the time on the hour hand, or, simply move the GMT hand to the new zone you are in, and use that.
The penalty for the Rolex system is the loss of the quick date change which is near instant on the C.Ward. Besides, cranking that hour hand through the days has shown up a weakness in the design causing a click-spring failures related to the hour hand, and necessitating repair. My Rolex GMT was bought in 2016, but I have no way of knowing if it had the improved spring installed because of random serial numbers. It puts me off wearing it because it doesn't inspire confidence.
Both also have the system from the original Rolex GMT, which is to just rotate the bezel.

About accuracy of the C.Ward, mine was not chronometer certified, but after a couple of weeks will show even less deviation than my new GMT (the old one loses 6 sec a day). What this means is that most good movements can be extremely accurate if properly regulated.
When I look at a watch, I try to focus an the quality of the actual watch and ignore being too influenced by the fame. My Trident speaks to me very well as a watch even if it is not famous - yet.
Enicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 12:04 AM   #15
stefs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/214270
They are very good for the money. I don't have any now but have had loads over the years. In recent times they have moved away from homages and have some nice designs now in the catalogue.
quality per pound is right up there
stefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 03:02 PM   #16
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

They’re good watches but that counterbalance on the seconds hand annoys the sh*t out of me. Unfortunately I can’t get over small things like that.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 03:32 AM   #17
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
I would also look at Monta Watches. Little bit higher price point, but they are phenomenally built. The bracelets are incredible.
Coincidentally, I just sold my CW C60 Trident 600 Mk2 and bought a second-hand Monta Oceanking (the original, Mk1).

The Trident is great, but the Monta is better in almost every single way, but then again it should be at twice the price.

The finishing is as good as I’ve seen on a sports watch under £5k, and the bracelet is just marvellous, truly best in class. Monta obviously put a lot of thought into their design & user interface, and that’s something I can really appreciate.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 03:36 AM   #18
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post
Coincidentally, I just sold my CW C60 Trident 600 Mk2 and bought a second-hand Monta Oceanking (the original, Mk1).

The Trident is great, but the Monta is better in almost every single way, but then again it should be at twice the price.

The finishing is as good as I’ve seen on a sports watch under £5k, and the bracelet is just marvellous, truly best in class. Monta obviously put a lot of thought into their design & user interface, and that’s something I can really appreciate.

I don’t even own one, but have a couple friends that do and everything you said is spot on. I am waiting to see the steel bezel blue dial a buddy ordered. But they are having issues with production from what I hear.

Old 22 November 2018, 10:30 AM   #19
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Funny I was looking at CW watches, particularly the bronze ones for fun, recently and was wondering about the quality etc as well.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2019, 04:37 AM   #20
Paul7
Banned

Don't have one yet but from my research with CW you get a quality mechanical Swiss made watch at a reasonable price. They operate off the new business model of internet sales, and having no multi-million dollar advertising budget, retail stores or sponsorship contracts to fulfill can pass that savings on to us.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 10:08 PM   #21
rich-96db
"TRF" Member

Just picked up a C65 Trident Diver. So far, I'm pleased with the quality. Seems to be running a second or two fast, but is keeping more accurate time than my Tudor Date+Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CW65_-_resize_50.jpg (202.0 KB, 289 views)
rich-96db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:02 AM   #22
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Thanks for this.

Yeah, I like this one a lot, also.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:59 AM   #23
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
Quote:

This looks great but the logo at nine o clock looks like a CV/Resume
Lifeisarolliecoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 09:46 AM   #24
axelbrass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Their 38mm Trident GMT diver appeals to me. It's your standard 2893-2 GMT movement, but they didn't blow the case up to terrible proportions so it may actually fit well on smaller wrists (like mine).

The only thing I don't like about their watches is the dang trident at the balance of the second hand... Looks too gimmicky for my taste, and is probably why I haven't picked one up.
I agree! I’ve been Googling if anyone has replaced the trident seconds hand with any success.
axelbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 01:21 PM   #25
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
They're not bad for the money, the quality is certainly there.

The design is the biggest drawback (or appeal depending on your angle). Whereas Steinhart copies Rolex, Christopher Ward copies Omega, so if you're happy wearing an Omega copy it might be the watch for you.
Never made the connection to Omega but now that you've mentioned it I can't unsee it.

I hate the counterbalance on the seconds hand and for me, the fact they can't figure out their logo makes their watches a non starter. It's Where's Waldo but for the CWs logo...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 06:07 AM   #26
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisarolliecoaster View Post
This looks great but the logo at nine o clock looks like a CV/Resume

This is my problem. I don’t like the “English paper” type font all over the nine o’clock dial. Dealbreaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk