The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 01:13 AM   #1
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
AD Wouldn't Even Add Me to a List

I stopped my my local AD this weekend. I asked to placed on a wait list for several watches.

"Have you purchased anything with us before? No? Sorry, we can't add you to any lists."

My $ was literally no good there.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:14 AM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
That is disheartening, being in the Colorado area, was this Hyde Park by any chance?
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:16 AM   #3
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Send an email to rolex corporation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:17 AM   #4
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
That is disheartening, being in the Colorado area, was this Hyde Park by any chance?
Yes it was Hyde Park! My wife and I used to browse all the time. "Would you like some bottled water. Let me get her ring cleaned." That's how we used to be treated there; they just never had the piece I was looking for so never bought. I was on the list for a D-Blue, but ended up buying one online as Hyde never had one (that I knew of).

I did just score a fully stickered 2017 black dial 116660 online. I almost want to bring it in and ask how to remove the stickers haha.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:18 AM   #5
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
Send an email to rolex corporation

I didn't know they could deny me the exclusivity of waiting for a watch they didn't have. I think I'll do just what you're suggesting.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:19 AM   #6
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
That has ben the case as of late ...ADs not taking names because the list would be endless and they are taking care of there previous customers first.
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:20 AM   #7
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I didn't know they could deny me the exclusivity of waiting for a watch they didn't have. I think I'll do just what you're suggesting.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:20 AM   #8
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

you are not alone...same story at every AD in Denver
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:21 AM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I stopped my my local AD this weekend. I asked to placed on a wait list for several watches.

"Have you purchased anything with us before? No? Sorry, we can't add you to any lists."

My $ was literally no good there.
flipper behavior regardless if you are or not. Its a bad strategy to carpet bomb WL's and especially so if the AD doesnt know you

Secondly, if people have purchased before should they get priority? i say yes. In any case there is probably too many already waiting and they dont want to waste your time. I would rather they say no vs humor me and make me think i may get a phone call at some point when i wont.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:21 AM   #10
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Yes it was Hyde Park! My wife and I used to browse all the time. "Would you like some bottled water. Let me get her ring cleaned." That's how we used to be treated there; they just never had the piece I was looking for so never bought. I was on the list for a D-Blue, but ended up buying one online as Hyde never had one (that I knew of).

I did just score a fully stickered 2017 black dial 116660 online. I almost want to bring it in and ask how to remove the stickers haha.
PM sent.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:22 AM   #11
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Trust me $ still speaks loudly. Try to place an order for a PM, you will get or be in a very short list for almost all SS models.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:23 AM   #12
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
They can do whatever they want in the store level as they are privately and individually owned....you can do the same by letting rolex, your friends and your community know....with that said...yes, if I have a customer who already spent money with me I will give them the "perk" of list priority, but why deny one the opportunity to be on one?

seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:25 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
They can do whatever they want in the store level as they are privately and individually owned....you can do the same by letting rolex, your friends and your community know....with that said...yes, if I have a customer who already spent money with me I will give them the "perk" of list priority, but why deny one the opportunity to be on one?

when you are only after the populars, how valuable of a customer are you? they can sell those all day long.

Dont buy stuff you dont want, but if you happen to like PM, then you are a valuable customer as those move much more slowly. It actually helps them out when you buy one and they will be more likely to reciprocate.

I just fail to see how no matter how many watches you have if they all have a WL a mile deep you dont really need to be retained as a customer...unless the AD just really likes you
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:25 AM   #14
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Not surprised one bit but good luck . Not sure what is worse though... to be told No upfront no list no bs or to be put on a “list” and waiting ad infininitum post deposit ...
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:27 AM   #15
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Rolex won’t care but send the email if you want.

Don’t take it so personal, would you rather them tell you they will put you on a list then turn around and throw your info away?
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:38 AM   #16
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
Rolex won’t care but send the email if you want.

Don’t take it so personal, would you rather them tell you they will put you on a list then turn around and throw your info away?
I didn't really take it personally. It was the rudeness I didn't like. They could have simply apologized for not being able to put me on a list and offered to show me their current stock. They treated me like a child asking for a toy.

No worries, my cash works other places.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #17
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I was shopping around for my first Rolex in 2017, when the shortage had already hit the UK pretty hard. I was slightly ignorant of the fact though and went around to about a dozen AD's, each time in person, to make chit-chat and to get on the list. All but one of those AD's took my name and told me I was on the list and even gave me rough timescale that I'd have to wait.

I was fortunate to ultimately get my watch from, as it happens, one of my most local AD's who I now get all my stuff from, however I also realised in the fullness of time that the AD's who "put me on the list" were politely BS-ing me - I've not heard a single peep from any of them. I appreciate the fact they were all polite and (falsely) accommodating, but I echo the sentiments above - it's better to be honest, like the AD at the top of this thread, to save the potential customer hassle and false hope.

Edit to say I see that they were rude too. No need for that, best take your business somewhere else. Good hunting
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #18
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLord View Post
LOL

Yep, times two. RolexUSA will tell you their authorized dealers are independent businesses who set their own policies.
As others have said they won't put you on a list because they've already got one a mile long for their existing customers.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #19
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
AD Wouldn't Even Add Me to a List

Here we go again.....At the end of the day what do you expect ADs to do?

They get calls ALL DAY long for the ‘hot references’ that sell themselves. Most ADs have long lists already of loyal patrons who support them over the years - and that loyalty goes both ways, sorry.

Having said that - is it impossible to get a ‘hot’ reference from one of these. Absolutely not, however most people just go about it the complete wrong way. Simply walking into or calling an AD and asking for a BLRO or Daytona or to get ‘waitlisted’- will get you exactly what one would expect - NOTHING. Going in, chatting building rapport showing interest in other things, or purchases....much better chance.

Sadly, people think that since ADs are ‘retail’ establishments, everyone should be able to just get on a ‘list’ for something highly sought after. Not the case. First off, and I have said it before...there is NO ‘list’ - the ADs KNOW who those watches are going to. Secondly, even IF there was - the list would have an astronomical wait.

Another fallacy is that if you go throw a bunch of $$ around — someone will pop out of the ‘back’ with whichever reference you’re after. NOPE. Now can it happen in some places - sure, along with ‘package deals’- but most, no. Back to that customer/AD relationship. My AD has customers, and their families, and so on that have done business with them for 50 plus years. Why do they need to even attempt to fill an order that for all intensive purposes is already sold?

It’s all in the approach.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:41 AM   #20
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The solution? Next time, be able to answer the question "have you bought anything with us before?" in the affirmative.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:46 AM   #21
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
RHIII just nailed it
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:49 AM   #22
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Unfortunately, with the overnight rise of popularity in Rolex and the subsequent decline in availability, some ADs have begun to abuse their positions.

My advice would be find another, more sympathetic AD, or turn your attention to the trusted sellers on here.
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:56 AM   #23
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
My AD has customers, and their families, and so on that have done business with them for 50 plus years. Why do they need to even attempt to fill an order that for all intensive purposes is already sold?

Just my .02

You know, I’m not disagreeing with you, and I agree loyalty should work both ways, but.........let’s say I have recently come into money and my dream watch is a new GMT, an AD should have the foresight to look to culture this relationship because, you never know, maybe my family will be the next 50 year relationship they have. But then there’s the juxtaposition - which of the two 50 yr relationships gets the hot watch. Or maybe I just go buy something I don’t want just to prove how serious I am about the whole thing.

Really it’s become a joke at the expensive of actual WIS’es who just want to enjoy their dream watch, myself included. Bazelworld releases will fix the problem though
In-Cog-Neeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:57 AM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Not a big deal at all.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:03 AM   #25
timedate
-

there isnt a list
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:05 AM   #26
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
As much as it stinks for us enthusiasts, I can’t blame them. There’s more demand than supply, and essentially every stainless sport model is already sold. Even though they’re AD’s, they’re still independent businesses. Their business, their rules.
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:06 AM   #27
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
You know, I’m not disagreeing with you, and I agree loyalty should work both ways, but.........let’s say I have recently come into money and my dream watch is a new GMT, an AD should have the foresight to look to culture this relationship because, you never know, maybe my family will be the next 50 year relationship they have. But then there’s the juxtaposition - which of the two 50 yr relationships gets the hot watch. Or maybe I just go buy something I don’t want just to prove how serious I am about the whole thing.

Really it’s become a joke at the expensive of actual WIS’es who just want to enjoy their dream watch, myself included. Bazelworld releases will fix the problem though

Which is why I said it’s all about the approach. If you go in, chat with an AD, build some rapport, etc...you have a much greater chance of getting what you want sooner vs. later as well as establishing the relationship.

It’s not all strictly about $$.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:20 AM   #28
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I am convinced most AD CRM’s to track the retail public’s “wait list” consist of a sheet of paper and a waste basket.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:21 AM   #29
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My AD would not add me to a list for a green Sub', but they did add me to a list for a BLRO. No offence taken... they just know there is no point adding more names to a long list when they know they are likely to get 1 or 2 or 3 of those watches per year. I guess it's the same at Hyde Park above. Maybe a little explanation from the AD would have been better than a flat refusal.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:23 AM   #30
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Quote:
It was the rudeness I didn't like. They could have simply apologized for not being able to put me on a list and offered to show me their current stock.
Based on what you wrote, they didn’t seem rude, imho. I can’t blame them for not showing other models if someone is asking to be on waitlist for only sports models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Here we go again.....At the end of the day what do you expect ADs to do?

They get calls ALL DAY long for the ‘hot references’ that sell themselves. Most ADs have long lists already of loyal patrons who support them over the years - and that loyalty goes both ways, sorry.

Having said that - is it impossible to get a ‘hot’ reference from one of these. Absolutely not, however most people just go about it the complete wrong way. Simply walking into or calling an AD and asking for a BLRO or Daytona or to get ‘waitlisted’- will get you exactly what one would expect - NOTHING. Going in, chatting building rapport showing interest in other things, or purchases....much better chance.

Sadly, people think that since ADs are ‘retail’ establishments, everyone should be able to just get on a ‘list’ for something highly sought after. Not the case. First off, and I have said it before...there is NO ‘list’ - the ADs KNOW who those watches are going to. Secondly, even IF there was - the list would have an astronomical wait.

Another fallacy is that if you go throw a bunch of $$ around — someone will pop out of the ‘back’ with whichever reference you’re after. NOPE. Now can it happen in some places - sure, along with ‘package deals’- but most, no. Back to that customer/AD relationship. My AD has customers, and their families, and so on that have done business with them for 50 plus years. Why do they need to even attempt to fill an order that for all intensive purposes is already sold?

Just my .02

Agree that you need to develop a rapport with the AD, not just spend cash.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote