The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 01:24 PM   #1
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Terrible day with the AD called about a watch then told I couldn’t have it

So I had an Ad call me out of nowhere and tell me they had a panda come in I could have it but I needed to add a small
Pair of earrings or something. I said that was fine because they had a datejust 41 blue face anyways I liked so I was going to buy both. I told them
Sign me
Up I’m on the way. I called back a few minutes later and told him I could give them my credit card to be sure the watch is held for me
He then said hold on I’m talking to the manager to
Make sure we can give it to you. They called the first guy who
Has spent a million with them per my salesman’s word but he did not
Want the Daytona he already got one. So he called me because he knew I would act quick. The manager decided it was going to go to
Another guy instead of me. Even though my salesman said I could have it. I would say it was a big mistake for the salesman to tell
Me that I could have the watch without asking the manager. I
Have been pretty hot about it most the day. He did say they had a root beer I could have but I already have one. He said they got in a stainless sub , hulk , Batman , root beer and a Daytona all in the same delivery
So here I am with no Daytona and none of the other Watches they had. Isn’t that pretty messed up ? Promising me a watch and taking it right from under my feet. It was actually going to my wife for a bday present. I had no intention of flipping it. So not cool my wife was all
Pissed off which I think she had the right to be. The stainless daytona was the watch she wanted. I told my salesman not cool. Please do not call me ever again for a watch unless he has ran in through all people
He needs to. Once again I ask isn’t that a messed up situation. I mean just crazy. An unexpected call for a white face Daytona. I was so close to getting it at retail. I will probably Never again get that chance again. On a side note no criticism from
The people who hate nicknames. It’s been a long day I don’t know all the reference numbers to the watches so I used nicknames on the post I would rather get that out of the way now before the nickname haters start posting replies. Lord of them out there !! Also would fellow
Members still buy from an AD after a mess like this ?
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:29 PM   #2
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
I've learned that when a Daytona comes in stock, a frenzy like atmosphere and is created amongst the sales staff. Im not suprised.
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:29 PM   #3
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Hopefully they'll make it right the next time.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:30 PM   #4
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I would go in the AD and face them! It’s a shot!! They might feel embarrassed or try to avoid a “scene” with other customers and just give you the Daytona and DJ41
Old 22 January 2019, 01:32 PM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Was the Panda a two tone or PM? If so it doesn't sound that hard to get. I'm not certain what I'd do.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:33 PM   #6
ltmgeller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I would make a formal complaint to the store then move on. Best case scenario, they'll call you for the next one. Worst case scenario you move on to another AD. It sucks that this has happened to you but it is becoming more and more common.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:33 PM   #7
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

I have an AD for each of the two brands I collect and I have been fortunate enough to form relationships with the owners, so I have never purchased a watch from one of their SAs. I'm not sure I'd walk away from the AD based on what appears to be bad luck and horrible communication. If I were you, I would head down and see if you can get the next Daytona that arrives. If the manager says no, then consider walking...

Last edited by s.m.b.; 22 January 2019 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Daytona
s.m.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that .. what’s going on these days is a tough situation. I got close to getting mine at retail also, but it was a bundling deal. Ended up buying a DJ 41 TT and hulk for my friend cause they wouldn’t give me daytona without PM purchase. They had everything in stock which was hard to hear lol.
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:35 PM   #9
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

No it was the stainless Daytona the white face black bezel. The one people wait forever for the guy told me it was my watch come get it that is the issue. He didn’t get his manager approval I guess. What a bonehead move
Old 22 January 2019, 01:36 PM   #10
tpool
"TRF" Member

That’s awful. I’m sorry to hear this happened; what a let down & very unprofessional. I think I would start looking for a new relationship. Its not easy to find but there are actually some kind & professional ADs out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:37 PM   #11
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Ok fine with an extra purchase. He said spend a couple grand on something for my wife. I said no problem I will just take the stainless blue face datejust 41 with jubilee band and smooth bezel and maybe another watch I had been looking at
Old 22 January 2019, 01:39 PM   #12
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

Wow that was messed up. I'm sorry for you OP. That was so rude of them. Feels like the salesperson was at fault.

My AD was nice enough to let me decide in 2 days and then locked it in the vault for my return on my trip. So some ADs are good but the one you just had the incident is just rude. I hope you get a call from the manager apologizing and offer another one.

I had a feeling they already feel they were fair to you by offering you other watches in the batch but that was still messed up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:39 PM   #13
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

I’m in dallas bachendorfs is the dealer. You will never meet the owner unless if your a big Spender. Otherwise you talk to the salespeople and managers that is it. This is not my normal branch I deal with in a regular basis. The guy had my number and just called me. I was just in the store yesterday looking at some stuff. I guess the good news is they are getting watches in lol
Old 22 January 2019, 01:40 PM   #14
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Sorry, but it’s really just another watch. Life goes on...why stress yourself , or your wife. Owning a Daytona, or any other scarce watch, doesn’t change anything that matters.
As for the conduct of the dealer....it’s just another shop, nothing more.
The hobby is supposed to be fun, not angst. Don’t let it get to you.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Take your business elsewhere but tell the owner what occured. That said it is a privilege not a right now a days to buy a hot rolex at the Ad.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:42 PM   #16
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Well, hard as it may seem, just move on. And try to be thankful you don't have any relationship with that AD. Many times in life I have turned away, or been turned away from something I wanted badly, and found something better in the end. I would forget about them.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 22 January 2019, 02:06 PM   #17
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
It really stinks. I’m sorry to hear what happened. I’d encourage you to turn the other cheek. I’m sure it was an honest mistake by the salesperson. The manager should have had better communication but those things happen. Maybe let them know how disappointed you were and that you hope that they can follow through with the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 January 2019, 02:06 PM   #18
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
What is the big deal with Daytona’s.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:09 PM   #19
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
1) I would never have anything to do with that AD again, f'em. Leave reviews in a couple of places.
2) it is just a watch, aggravating as it may be to be let down like that. There's no shortage of other cool watches out there if you don't let yourself get fixated on just Rolex.
Old 22 January 2019, 02:15 PM   #20
collarcity
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 14060M
I used to think it was silly paying way over MSRP but after reading so many threads about five year waitlists, ADs screwing people, or ridiculous stipulations like having to purchase unwanted watches or earrings (?!), I can get behind paying the extra $6k and just being done with it. It's not even a rare watch anymore. DSW had EIGHT 116500s at one point.

I would have told them to keep their stupid earrings and get bent.
collarcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:18 PM   #21
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collarcity View Post
I used to think it was silly paying way over MSRP but after reading so many threads about five year waitlists, ADs screwing people, or ridiculous stipulations like having to purchase unwanted watches or earrings (?!), I can get behind paying the extra $6k and just being done with it. It's not even a rare watch anymore. DSW had EIGHT 116500s at one point.

I would have told them to keep their stupid earrings and get bent.
well a brand new white daytona is 10k over msrp, and the black one is 9 now it looks like
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:19 PM   #22
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure what's worse, having to talk to these guys that make you jump through hoops and baits you along or never being contacted being on an imaginary list. I feel blessed there isn't a modern Rolex reference I'm chasing right now........terrible environment for buyers and ridiculous for a luxury good. But really it has to be this way....otherwise these things wouldn't be so sought after and hold values/appreciate the way they do.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:28 PM   #23
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear. hope they will make it up to you

That's why i always have the manager call me directly when there's a call for a pick up

The positive spin is that you are in no worse (financial) situation than you were before you got the call. Certainly emotional rollercoaster though. unfortunately the SA screwed up. But usually the manager/owner makes final decisions on extremely hard to get pieces irrespective of what SAs have promised or not promised their clients.

At the end of the day you either live with their mistake and keep buying from them or you take your business elsewhere
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:31 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That’s really annoying. Fortunately I deal with an owner so when he says come and get it he means it. But also when he ignores me I know I’ll not be getting it period lol

If it helps at all the watch is a bit overrated. Sub dials aren’t aligned at 3-9 o’clock. It’s not a true panda dial. It’s named after a nascar track in Florida lol ok I’ve gone much to far. I’ll move along.
Old 22 January 2019, 02:40 PM   #25
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Yeh it’s all good. We weren’t dying for the watch. It was just not right for them to do that to us
Old 22 January 2019, 02:44 PM   #26
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Last I checked David’s sw had zero white face new I’m box stainless Daytona’s to the person above. This was the exact watch me wife wanted. Not a 2tone not a black face a white face black bezel. I take them as hard to get. Every Ad I talk to say they get these the least. Stainless Daytona’s have been hard to get from an Ad new for years is my understanding.
Old 22 January 2019, 02:44 PM   #27
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Ouch! Usually these watches go to the VVVIP customers. Good luck next time.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:48 PM   #28
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
This ad sounds familiar
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:01 PM   #29
grymg
"TRF" Member

Wow, crazy you have to spend a million to get some good service from these AD's! It was $6K over MSRP one or two years ago before the big time auction houses ruined it for everyone, now they are $9-10K which easily exceeds the cost of the two tone you can find easily (steel costs more than gold nowadays??). But the waitlists were still long no matter what. I can't seem to get on a waitlist. Oh well.
Old 22 January 2019, 03:09 PM   #30
TheFuture
"TRF" Member

That happened to me with a blue Sky dweller said I didn’t putchase any jewelry with them so they wouldn’t sell me the watch. Also said if I bought the white they wouldn’t sell me the blue so here I am no Sky dweller. I’ve spent over 30k on Rolex’s with them in 18.
TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote