The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 March 2007, 12:25 AM   #1
ede
"TRF" Member

Submariner 16610LV

Hi
I was under the impression that the 16610LV was only going to be made during a limited period. I get the impression that Rolex is still producing it, does anyone know if this is correct? They started to come out with Y-serial, then F, then D and now Z. It still appears in their catalogue and web site.

If you know their plans please let me know.

Thanks

ede
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 01:19 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The Rolex LV was never going to be a limited edition,just a anniversary addition to celebrate the Subs fiftieth birthday.Now many retailers will try and promote it to be a limited edition,it keeps the prices high.And although a good watch IMHO Rolex could have come up with something better.After all the only difference is a green bezel,and price hike and the often used in the vintage Subs and SD, the maxi dial,but now with gold surounds and modern lume.
Welcome to TRF Ede.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 01:28 AM   #3
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Yep, they did a bad job on the LV, but a GREAT job on the GMT anniv!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 01:55 AM   #4
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I agree, I love my GMT Anniv!!! I wonder though, let's say a SUB is $5K today and in ten years it is $10k. They will still make them. But if the LV is $6K today and and discontinued, then in ten years it cannot be considered a $10k+ watch, ya know? You can't say "Those go for $10k now" like you can the SUB. Some of the older DD watches are $9k online because they are from 1982 even though today's version is three times that. So with LE watches you may lose the increasing seniority in the pay scale.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 03:29 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Hi ede, welcome.

Indeed the 16610LV is still being made and is a current production item. Never designed as a limited production watch, I think there were those that may have fell victim to the hype that still surrounds it to this day.

Having said that, it is a watch that although easier to obtain now, is still hard to get in certain parts of the world. Rolex is extremely guarded in commenting on numbers of watches made, but it's fairly certain less LVs are made than the black sub.
The LV is one of those watches (kind of like the SS Daytona) that arouses strong feelings one way or the other. Some really like it, some hate it. I'm of the former. I think the LV is the most practical watch made for it's intended purpose Rolex has come out with in a while.
Green was chosen because it is the Rolex corporate color. The maxi-dial allows easier readability (in my view) and greater lume surface area. I personally could have done without the WG surrounds, but Rolex is going to go only so far.

Questions always arise if it's going to be discontinued and it's future place in the collector's world.
Yes, at some point Rolex will cease production of the reference. When only Rolex knows. When that happens two primary factors will determine it's future value. 1. Raw numbers-Rolex will dictate that based on when the reference ends. 2. The most important--Desirability--Totally unknown, based on what future collectors dictate is desirable.
Many watches in Rolex past were not very popular with the buying public only to see their desirability enhanced years after production ceased. Witness the 1655, 5512, and the Milgauss.
Some references made for a few years now are hot in the collecting community because of a little dab of paint--anything RED.
Some references were made a lot of years in fairly large numbers and STILL are desirable--5513.
If you like the LV, get it, enjoy it, but KEEP THE BOX and PAPERS.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 03:55 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF, Ede. Great bunch of guys here and a wealth of knowledge to be gained.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 04:09 AM   #7
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I just came from RSC Toronto, and the latest catalogue in the waiting room still has the LV shown
Old 16 March 2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Is there white gold somewhere in the LV?
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 10:31 AM   #9
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Is there white gold somewhere in the LV

Surrounding the hour markers, and the hands.

Here in Bangkok. Very, very hard to find a LV here. After talking with several ADs, discovered the Sub LVs, when you can find, will go for around $7500 +

I am meeting a man at an AD today, who maybe interested in Buying my LV. If I get offered $6500 - $7000 for it, would be hard to pass up. Will see. Personally, I love the Maxi Dial on the LV. But the Green Bezel? Well, it depends on the day. Some days I really like it! Other days I can not stand it. Been trying hard to find a Black Bezel insert for it, but no luck.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
If you can get 6500 or 7000 for it...Sell! Sell mine for me too!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 11:12 AM   #11
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I do like the LV, but If I can make $1000 profit on it, then I would sell and buy a differnt Rolex and the difference in price would allow a one month vaction at a 5 star resort!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2007, 04:19 PM   #12
ede
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for valuable information and advice. I am living in Macau were there is quite a developed second hand market (gambling town) and I have bought a few Rolex watches for myself and friends which has turned out to be quite good deals. Now my focus is on getting a Submariner and I am quite keen on the 16610LV. The price for a used one (without box and papers) is still in the same region as a brand new 16610. This is justified by the sellers with the comment “limited edition, you must get it now before it is no longer on the market”. I would understand that this was the case if it was made for 3 years or so but if it is still in production if feels like I am paying more for very little. For that money one could even consider looking at the 1680 for example.

I do like the look of the LV and it is likely that I will aim for that in the end but I will be tougher in the negotiations, knowing that it is not as limited as some make it to be. I do not think it has gained as much popularity as many people expected.

Thanks again.

ede
ede is offline   Reply With Quote