The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2019, 04:13 AM   #1
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Activity watch - which type of G-Shock?

I’m looking for a new watch that I can use for outdoor activities, like mountain biking, hiking, camping etc.

Some kind of G-Shock seems sensible, but there are hundreds on the website at widely varying prices, with little explanation or filtering

Are the basically all the same, albeit digital or analogue, or are there some features worth seeking?

Is there a “go to” model that is their ‘signature’ model?
and what kind of strap is best - many look like plastic, which presumably a bad choice?
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 04:25 AM   #2
sunset117
"TRF" Member

Do you like g shock? Idk why people like them. I find them ugly. What are your thoughts about spending more and getting a tag or something classy?
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:48 AM   #3
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Gshock Rangeman GW9400. Atomic time syncing, solar powered, 200mm Water resistance. Has a ton of features, but easy to use. I like it for outdoors because it can let you know if rain is coming. Has an altimeter, barometer and compass. And it’s tough as nails to boot.
https://www.gshock.com/watches/master-of-g/gw9400-1

antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 06:51 AM   #4
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
I’m looking for a new watch that I can use for outdoor activities, like mountain biking, hiking, camping etc.

Some kind of G-Shock seems sensible, but there are hundreds on the website at widely varying prices, with little explanation or filtering

Are the basically all the same, albeit digital or analogue, or are there some features worth seeking?

Is there a “go to” model that is their ‘signature’ model?
and what kind of strap is best - many look like plastic, which presumably a bad choice?
Depends on your budget and your need, I actually would recommend Garmin Fenix series. Get the Fenix 3, 5, 5+, etc.

Fenix is plenty tough for MTB (which I do from time to time, light XC), and for hiking, having the GPS route / tracking is not a bad thing in my book. If you use it as a watch, with light GPS use, the battery can last 10-14 days.

But if you are looking for "simple" watch, something like the GW9400 Rangeman is also nice, which has altimeter, barometer and compass function. its solar power so you don't have to worry about battery. it will also set itself to UK atomic clock via radio signal.

If you want "simple simple" watch, there is plenty to choose from. DW5600E, GWM5610, DW6900, GW6900. You can pick from those depends on if your price, if you want solar or not, if you want auto time-sync or not, etc.

Casio has a version of G-Shock that GPS routing available, but I think they are years behind what Garmin is offering.

Plenty of other suggestion, analog / digital / carbon case / metal case. But pick a budget and what you want from the time, and we can go from there. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:42 AM   #5
sunset117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
Gshock Rangeman GW9400. Atomic time syncing, solar powered, 200mm Water resistance. Has a ton of features, but easy to use. I like it for outdoors because it can let you know if rain is coming. Has an altimeter, barometer and compass. And it’s tough as nails to boot.

Ok so I didn’t think I liked g shock but that watch is pretty nice man. I like it
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:38 PM   #6
2x4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Rangeman. I wear a DJ41 for daily around the office, but if I knowingly and headed into the rain, mud and crud the the Rangeman for sure.
2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:16 PM   #7
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset117 View Post
Ok so I didn’t think I liked g shock but that watch is pretty nice man. I like it
thank you, i think it’s great
Old 22 May 2019, 03:16 AM   #8
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post

Looks ideal, thanks
Old 22 May 2019, 03:18 AM   #9
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, plenty for me to think about
Old 22 May 2019, 03:34 AM   #10
itasca
"TRF" Member

Casio GWM 5610. Aside from atomic timekeeping and solar charging, this watch is no frills and tough as nails. The band is a bit “plastic,” but doesn’t bother me a bit. At under $200, a total beater you won’t think twice about as you do whatever you want with it. While some might consider it ugly, it’s a throwback to the original G-Shock, and I like that. Wish I could post a picture of mine, but I’m new here and don’t have enough posts.

Based on the other posts, I do think the Rangeman is a cool watch and would be fun to play around with, but it’s just too bulky for me, and I find it hard to believe all the atmospheric functions are very accurate. Just my impression, as I have no data to back that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 11:23 PM   #11
WalterVandervort
"TRF" Member

Do you like solar powered watches? I purchased G-Shock tough watch 6 years ago and it's still looks like new. I love the combination of solar power and atomic timekeeping and I only have to readjust for daylight savings. I've worn this watch at least one day a week and the battery has never emptied. The case is on the smaller side compared to other g-shock watches but fits well under cuffs.
WalterVandervort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 06:37 PM   #12
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itasca View Post
Casio GWM 5610. Aside from atomic timekeeping and solar charging, this watch is no frills and tough as nails. The band is a bit “plastic,” but doesn’t bother me a bit. At under $200, a total beater you won’t think twice about as you do whatever you want with it. While some might consider it ugly, it’s a throwback to the original G-Shock, and I like that. Wish I could post a picture of mine, but I’m new here and don’t have enough posts.

Based on the other posts, I do think the Rangeman is a cool watch and would be fun to play around with, but it’s just too bulky for me, and I find it hard to believe all the atmospheric functions are very accurate. Just my impression, as I have no data to back that up.
Another vote for the 5610. Great watch.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 09:11 PM   #13
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Still love this one, perfect for an outdoorsman.