The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2019, 07:28 PM   #1
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

Explorer II 16570 - Thoughts on this one??

Hi TRF!

Know this has been discussed but wondering everyone's opinion:

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...81/item/132663

Been looking at this watch from watchfinder (a 3186 explorer II) - appears recently serviced by a Rolex Service Center as it still has 15 months remaining on warranty.

It has no box and no papers though and when i saw it in person, everything looked fine - i.e no scratches, recently (unfortunately) polished by the RSC, etc.

I've gotten the price a little down and wondering if i should pull the trigger.

Any concerns with buying from watchfinder without box and papers. I do not plan on selling the watch anytime soon and want to use it as my everyday watch.

ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
youngfromNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:33 PM   #2
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
You need have no worries about buying from Watchfinder without box or papers!

I have made many purchases from them in a similar way.

I have found them great people to deal with, if you deal with Richard Brockman, please say hi to him for me!
Craig Strongman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:40 PM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

No business that deals in second hand products is infallible, but buying from an established brick and mortar business should at least give you some level of recourse if anything were to happen.

If the service was in fact done by Rolex and it comes with the service warranty card I’d have no hesitation.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:43 PM   #4
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
No business that deals in second hand products is infallible, but buying from an established brick and mortar business should at least give you some level of recourse if anything were to happen.

If the service was in fact done by Rolex and it comes with the service warranty card I’d have no hesitation.
i guess i'm a bit hesitant in the fact that a watch < 10 years old went and got RSC (like what was wrong with it that it was sent to the RSC)

but that may be just nitpicking at a second hand preowned product.

Thanks for the responses and thoughts!
Old 20 May 2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfromNY View Post
i guess i'm a bit hesitant in the fact that a watch < 10 years old went and got RSC (like what was wrong with it that it was sent to the RSC)

Doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with the watch that it had a service, it was due a service being that age if it hadn’t had a service. Also makes it an easier sell if it’s just been serviced. Defo peace of mind knowing it’s been serviced and won’t need one for 5-7 years....it’ll look beautiful having just been serviced too.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:52 PM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:

The service interval is approximately ten years. But that is a recent change (last year or so). Previously the service interval was recommended as five years.

Some people wait for the oil to dry and the watch grinds to a halt. Other people have their watch(es) serviced per the brand’s advice whether or not there is a fault.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what was wrong before (if anything) because it’s now cleaned, relubricated and under warranty again. Arguably better than if it had been left untouched.

This is not aimed at you but a general remark - there is a worrying trend showing on this forum that service and/or polishing a watch is something to be avoided at all costs. Polishing is a matter of personal opinion but there is nothing wrong with routine service.
Old 20 May 2019, 08:03 PM   #7
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The service interval is approximately ten years. But that is a recent change (last year or so). Previously the service interval was recommended as five years.

Some people wait for the oil to dry and the watch grinds to a halt. Other people have their watch(es) serviced per the brand’s advice whether or not there is a fault.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter what was wrong before (if anything) because it’s now cleaned, relubricated and under warranty again. Arguably better than if it had been left untouched.

This is not aimed at you but a general remark - there is a worrying trend showing on this forum that service and/or polishing a watch is something to be avoided at all costs. Polishing is a matter of personal opinion but there is nothing wrong with routine service.
very valid points. Thank you
Old 20 May 2019, 08:07 PM   #8
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
very valid points. Thank you
You’re welcome
Old 20 May 2019, 08:11 PM   #9
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Is it real, yes.
In my opinion, overpriced.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:17 PM   #10
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Is it real, yes.
In my opinion, overpriced.
what would you price it at?
checking BobsWatches - similar one went for $6K USD
Jomashop had one for $6500 USD

So i'm thinking 16570 cal. 3186 ~2010 = around 6k USD?
Old 20 May 2019, 10:27 PM   #11
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Explorer II 16570 - Thoughts on this one??

The real question you need to ask yourself is if the premium that the 3186 goes for is worth it to you? There is no difference between the 3185 and the 3186 in terms of performance so if you plan to wear the watch regularly it is overpriced to buy a 3186 movement version. There has been a great deal of speculation around 3186 versioned 16710s due to perceived rarity and this has spilled over to the 16570 IMO. The inflated price of 16570s with the 3186 movement is more about possible future collectibility and value than about performance of the watch. If you want to join the speculators then the listed price is more reasonable than if you plan to wear the watch regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:52 PM   #12
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
The real question you need to ask yourself is if the premium that the 3186 goes for is worth it to you? There is no difference between the 3185 and the 3186 in terms of performance so if you plan to wear the watch regularly it is overpriced to buy a 3186 movement version. There has been a great deal of speculation around 3186 versioned 16710s due to perceived rarity and this has spilled over to the 16570 IMO. The inflated price of 16570s with the 3186 movement is more about possible future collectibility and value than about performance of the watch. If you want to join the speculators then the listed price is more reasonable than if you plan to wear the watch regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Saaci, thanks for your reply. TBH, i would never know the difference btwn a 3186 vs 3185 and the caliber really isn't why im looking at this particular one - i am looking for; however, a <10 year old watch and the fact that this has been serviced by a RSC drew me into this one.
Old 21 May 2019, 01:51 AM   #13
Pict
"TRF" Member

I bought a 2010 16570 from Watchfinder in Oct 2017, full set and also had a Rolex service warranty which gave me some piece of mind although now sadly it's run out, however it has never missed a beat and has had a lot of wrist time.

Good seller who I have bought and sold with before but you got to be happy with the deal or otherwise keep looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer07.jpg (73.7 KB, 227 views)
Pict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:33 AM   #14
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

Pulled the trigger

After looking and missing out on a few 3186 black explorer iis, i decided to purchase the one i negotiated down a bit from watchfinder

yes i coulda waited, looked at mad sites for another 3 weeks but ultimately decided i got the watch i wanted at the price i was willing to pay for it.

background:
I moved to london from new york on a one year work assignment. i worked hard 14-18 hr days inclu weekends for basically the entire year. i wanted to commemorate my time here before i go back home in june. and the fact that my job will still have ties to the london timezone, i thought what better way than to get a nice everyday watch with a gmt hand.

this watch now tells a new story

pics incoming!
Old 21 May 2019, 05:46 AM   #15
Pict
"TRF" Member

Well done OP, that’s a great watch and looking forward to seeing the incoming photos, congrats
Old 21 May 2019, 06:53 AM   #16
youngfromNY
"TRF" Member

here it is. with local time to london and home time to NyC
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2E31B817-4778-4EA8-A179-B7F9142BEF64.jpeg (66.9 KB, 142 views)
Old 21 May 2019, 07:04 AM   #17
ancientmariner
"TRF" Member

Great choice
ancientmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:11 AM   #18
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well done, looks great.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:36 AM   #19
zetaplus93
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 & 116710LN
Nicely done! Picked up a black dial 16570 myself recently as well. Cracking watch there and great story to boot
Old 21 May 2019, 07:36 AM   #20
Beto737
"TRF" Member

Well done! I have the same 3186 piece. It’s my everyday, everything, traveling, and any other thing you can think off watch. It is the closest thing to a tool watch that I own. It’s a fantastic piece, wear it in good health.
Beto737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:01 AM   #21
Pict
"TRF" Member

Very nice that looks great, congrats and enjoy it.