The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 May 2020, 03:25 AM   #1
nguyen.hung.levis
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Texas, USA
Watch: 114060, 116610LV
Posts: 21
New level of scammers, be aware!

Recently, I saw a Rolex watch selling in Timezone. The seller is a longtime member of the forum but only started selling watches recently. I do not know if the account was hacked or not, I cannot confirm. The fact is the price is not too good to be true but at a fair market price. I contacted the seller via email. The negotiation was smooth and I could easily get a deal. I asked him for refs and contacted refs from Rolexforum. All refs replied that I can deal with the seller with confidence and rated A+++. However, I took an extra step by using google image, which later found that the seller used photos from a trust seller guy on Instagram in Asia. The trick is, the scammer may sell 1 or 2 real watches to get refs and then start selling fake ones or you will never receive anything. Scammers can also follow their ads by saying some watches were sold to make you feel that the deals were real. So, be aware!
nguyen.hung.levis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:45 AM   #2
cop414
TRF Moderator & HARRODS SGE Giveaway Patron
 
cop414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Tim
Location: Pennsylvania
Watch: 14060M
Posts: 69,741
So did you send him funds or not? If not then you haven’t been scammed, if you did then you probably were.
Do you know if he’s a member here on TRF? If so what’s his screen name?
__________________

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:59 AM   #3
gejay99
2020 Pledge Member
 
gejay99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 335
That is scary...there's too many scammers lurking here and it's just a huge turn off to even make a deal from here...I have yet to get a good offer from a reputable person..either all low balls or scam emails.

It's a great community, just such a shame that we're all a constant target from these lowlifes.

I hope you were able to dodge that Devil!
gejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:52 AM   #4
214270Explorer
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United States
Watch: me buy Rolex
Posts: 1,946
Great job doing your homework!
__________________
The display of actual intelligence terrifies much of mankind

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Vostok "some"
Marathon "some"
Hamilton 992B Railway Special Lever-set Pocket Watch War Dept. ca 1944
Miscellaneous fine quality stopwatches
"Life is too short not to have a Rolex"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:25 AM   #5
neophyte88
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Real Name: henry
Location: JCNJ
Watch: bluesy, 114060
Posts: 51
F2F is the best, if you happen to be on the same state.
neophyte88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 02:52 PM   #6
nguyen.hung.levis
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Texas, USA
Watch: 114060, 116610LV
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
So did you send him funds or not? If not then you haven’t been scammed, if you did then you probably were.
Do you know if he’s a member here on TRF? If so what’s his screen name?
I did my homework, man! I did not say that I was scammed. I just want to warn everyone about this. This guy provided his refs from this forum but he does not a member here.

The fact is I asked the guy to send me a photo with his ID, the watch with a specific time, and Paypal payment, of course, I will cover the fee. He insisted that he wants bank wire. After I confirmed with the real seller of the watch and sent the guy the link of photos of the real seller. Then, he did not reply anymore.

Bear in mind that asking a photo with a specific time may not be sufficient. The scammer may ask the real seller to send him photos and forward them to you.
nguyen.hung.levis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:11 PM   #7
luial
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PH
Posts: 7
Which Rolex watch was this? I too was almost purchasing from sellers (2) in TRF and after a few email exchanges decided not to pursue them.
I'll stick to trusted sellers here in TRF.
luial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:12 PM   #8
cop414
TRF Moderator & HARRODS SGE Giveaway Patron
 
cop414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Real Name: Tim
Location: Pennsylvania
Watch: 14060M
Posts: 69,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyen.hung.levis View Post
I did my homework, man! I did not say that I was scammed. I just want to warn everyone about this. This guy provided his refs from this forum but he does not a member here.

The fact is I asked the guy to send me a photo with his ID, the watch with a specific time, and Paypal payment, of course, I will cover the fee. He insisted that he wants bank wire. After I confirmed with the real seller of the watch and sent the guy the link of photos of the real seller. Then, he did not reply anymore.

Bear in mind that asking a photo with a specific time may not be sufficient. The scammer may ask the real seller to send him photos and forward them to you.

__________________

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:59 PM   #9
sp006
2020 Pledge Member
 
sp006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New York
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by gejay99 View Post
That is scary...there's too many scammers lurking here and it's just a huge turn off to even make a deal from here...I have yet to get a good offer from a reputable person..either all low balls or scam emails.

It's a great community, just such a shame that we're all a constant target from these lowlifes.

I hope you were able to dodge that Devil!


You just sold a Panerai and a Daytona in the past week or so.

What do you mean by you have yet to get a good offer from a reputable person?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:51 AM   #10
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 295
Are the references even legit? I had one experience when I received immediate responses from the other members of timezone about how great the seller is. When I dug further and look for the references' earlier post and find a number. Called the person and found out he never sent a reference. The scammers have even hacked the references' accounts.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 07:53 AM   #11
jimly
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Watch: JLC
Posts: 39
Thanks for sharing
jimly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 01:04 PM   #12
nguyen.hung.levis
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Texas, USA
Watch: 114060, 116610LV
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
Are the references even legit? I had one experience when I received immediate responses from the other members of timezone about how great the seller is. When I dug further and look for the references' earlier post and find a number. Called the person and found out he never sent a reference. The scammers have even hacked the references' accounts.
I cannot confirm whether the refs are legit or not? but you may be right, the scammers could have hacked the refs account.
nguyen.hung.levis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2020, 09:37 PM   #13
77T
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 33,096
Just for what it’s worth, this is an age old from of online selling trickery that started on eBay. And it started long before the internet - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Parker



• People on eBay posting pictures in a listing from anywhere they could find them,
• Holding sham auctions won by “bidders” using multiple fake accounts
• Posting positive feedback via the fake auctions
•After a few months of this, they lay a trap for unsuspecting buyers using puffed-up fake references.

People have been cross-posting fake listings on watch forums for years.

The legit checks that OP used are great for investigating such scams.

I believe these threads are useful to help educate the newer members - and to reinforce good buying practices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 03:59 AM   #14
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member
 
NachoNeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Real Name: Neal
Location: Point Loma
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyen.hung.levis View Post
Recently, I saw a Rolex watch selling in Timezone. The seller is a longtime member of the forum but only started selling watches recently. I do not know if the account was hacked or not, I cannot confirm. The fact is the price is not too good to be true but at a fair market price. I contacted the seller via email. The negotiation was smooth and I could easily get a deal. I asked him for refs and contacted refs from Rolexforum. All refs replied that I can deal with the seller with confidence and rated A+++. However, I took an extra step by using google image, which later found that the seller used photos from a trust seller guy on Instagram in Asia. The trick is, the scammer may sell 1 or 2 real watches to get refs and then start selling fake ones or you will never receive anything. Scammers can also follow their ads by saying some watches were sold to make you feel that the deals were real. So, be aware!
Good job!!
__________________
Sub No Date (14060); DJ41 (126333); Seiko Diver (skx007); Day Date 18238 stolen by wife!
NachoNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 05:08 AM   #15
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Real Name: Alisher
Location: Houston, Texas
Watch: Rolex 116234
Posts: 34
How do you do Google search of the picture?
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 07:36 AM   #16
jayrawk
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA
Watch: DJ 16013 / Oyster
Posts: 34
The same experience I had with a seller I met on Instagram, who tried to sell me a 1803. He sent me pictures and I did a Google search and he took the photo from another sellers eBay auction. I guess he does custom jewelry and is "somewhat" legit, but when I found the photo on an eBay auction I stepped away. I ended up just going to a legit jeweler with a store to get my 1803. Beware!!!
jayrawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2020, 08:32 AM   #17
chinaski
"TRF" Member
 
chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 168
Reputable seller for me only, DavidSW, Bernard Watch etc. I won't buy from an individual at all. Too many tricks, I work too hard for my money to get scammed.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 02:31 PM   #18
nguyen.hung.levis
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Texas, USA
Watch: 114060, 116610LV
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosiwe View Post
How do you do Google search of the picture?
You can use Googe Image:

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

You can download the photo you want to check to your computer and upload it into google image. Google will tell you if the photo has been posted somewhere.

As an example, I recently saw an ad for the hulk from the guy ksporty in this forum and with google image, i could say that the ad was posted by a scammer . So the nick was banned i believe.
nguyen.hung.levis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 02:38 PM   #19
nguyen.hung.levis
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Texas, USA
Watch: 114060, 116610LV
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Reputable seller for me only, DavidSW, Bernard Watch etc. I won't buy from an individual at all. Too many tricks, I work too hard for my money to get scammed.
Scammers can also be as a buyer. I learned this expensive lesson 5 years ago when I sold a watch to a guy which later turned out that the cash I received was fake when I tried to deposit the money to my account via ATM.
nguyen.hung.levis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 04:56 AM   #20
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyen.hung.levis View Post
I cannot confirm whether the refs are legit or not? but you may be right, the scammers could have hacked the refs account.
one of the questionable references even reached out to me before I even sent him a message. overzealous scammer.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 01:16 PM   #21
twsti321
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: westminster
Posts: 16
I was going to Las Vegas f2f with a seller, but it was ok late for this week.
twsti321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 12:43 PM   #22
gejay99
2020 Pledge Member
 
gejay99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
You just sold a Panerai and a Daytona in the past week or so.

What do you mean by you have yet to get a good offer from a reputable person?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those weren't sold through TRF, I also have listings elsewhere such as ebay and Facebook marketplace. And yes, I have done deals buying and selling from outside TRF, but we also are members here.
__________________
Instagram: @madelocalinvesting
gejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.