The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 December 2019, 05:23 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Real Name: Bob
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 2,944
PP has recently stated many times they are committed to their dealer network. I do not see them changing this. In a down market, maintaining a lot of empty boutiques can be very costly. Plus, there is not really much savings to be had. Each boutique has its own cost of acquisition, overhead, tax and staff costs, etc. Boutiques are typically located in the priciest upscale urban centers. Let someone else pay the rent.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 06:42 AM   #32
Xerxes77
2019 Pledge Member
 
Xerxes77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Real Name: Cosmin
Location: Romania
Watch: ROLEX AP UN
Posts: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
10 years ago during the global recession, SS Nautilus was selling for quite a discount. But it was a different era when social media was in it's infancy and advertising was still done through print media.
Agree with that 100%....
More then that 10 years ago Nautilus not have so many followers.
Now it’s different.....
I think in the worst case you will buy it at 1-2000 more then price list but not from the AD.
When Nautilus now go down in price will have double people who want a Nautilus model.
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 08:34 AM   #33
Analysing You
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 443
Load of cobblers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Analysing You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 08:57 AM   #34
0315
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Richmond
Posts: 57
so I guess everyone else knows better, fine.
I guess than I must have been informed wrongly...

Anyway, to all the "know better" guys here, i'm not saying the world goes down or so.
Fact is, PP cant feed the demand. So it is more than logic that they straighten their supply channels and limit the re-sellers. I would do EXACTLY the same. In addition, I dont see a long term curve of over trading timepieces anyway but that is another story.

All I'm saying is, PP is definitely (and that is a SECURED to ME information) continue limiting the amount of re-sellers. Which may or may not result into having certain pieces boutique only. we will see
0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 09:17 AM   #35
toucan
2019 Pledge Member
 
toucan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC
Watch: 5970
Posts: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
They will require ADs to open exclusive boutiques just for the brand. That's entirely conceivable. But I don' think they will open more salons.
This is the only plausible happenstance.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 10:47 AM   #36
italiafan
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA
Watch: 5726-1A, 5205G-013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
10 years ago during the global recession, SS Nautilus was selling for quite a discount. But it was a different era when social media was in it's infancy and advertising was still done through print media.
Not sure of your point.
My point is I sure don’t want to see $2M (for instance) evaporate from my accounts to be able to purchase a watch at $20K less...just plain non-sensical thought process.
Exact numbers are not important and only illustrative; percentage drop in investment accounts in a financial crisis would not offset percentage drop in watch prices—unless you are primarily cash/fixed income and without substantial assets.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 12:33 AM   #37
jon_jon
"TRF" Member
 
jon_jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
Not sure of your point.
My point is I sure don’t want to see $2M (for instance) evaporate from my accounts to be able to purchase a watch at $20K less...just plain non-sensical thought process.
Exact numbers are not important and only illustrative; percentage drop in investment accounts in a financial crisis would not offset percentage drop in watch prices—unless you are primarily cash/fixed income and without substantial assets.
This is a watch forum and not a financial asset management forum. My point is during the last major recession, there were many watches available at a deep discount. If you can predict the downturn and move assets around to minimize losses, you can use that cash to buy Patek watches on a dip.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 01:40 AM   #38
AlinaGoligen
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Finland
Posts: 11
The two faces of the new most expensive watch in the world, Patek Philippe’s Grandmaster Chime.
AlinaGoligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 04:33 AM   #39
locutus49
"TRF" Member
 
locutus49's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Real Name: John
Location: La Jolla, CA
Watch: Platona
Posts: 11,425
In a way this forum IS a financial asset management forum. I carefully consider the most common advice and DO THE OPPOSITE. I have done very well. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
This is a watch forum and not a financial asset management forum. My point is during the last major recession, there were many watches available at a deep discount. If you can predict the downturn and move assets around to minimize losses, you can use that cash to buy Patek watches on a dip.
__________________
"Dig and be dug" Langston Hughes

"Sunt rupes virtutis iter"

"Send me" Isaiah 6:8
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 05:59 AM   #40
italiafan
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA
Watch: 5726-1A, 5205G-013
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
This is a watch forum and not a financial asset management forum. My point is during the last major recession, there were many watches available at a deep discount. If you can predict the downturn and move assets around to minimize losses, you can use that cash to buy Patek watches on a dip.
You might benefit from joining a financial asset management forum.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 06:15 AM   #41
jon_jon
"TRF" Member
 
jon_jon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
You might benefit from joining a financial asset management forum.
Always appreciate unsolicited advice. But let's get back to topic and discuss watches
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 07:50 AM   #42
Calatrava r
2019 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Real Name: Bob
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0315 View Post
so I guess everyone else knows better, fine.
I guess than I must have been informed wrongly...

Anyway, to all the "know better" guys here, i'm not saying the world goes down or so.
Fact is, PP cant feed the demand. So it is more than logic that they straighten their supply channels and limit the re-sellers. I would do EXACTLY the same. In addition, I dont see a long term curve of over trading timepieces anyway but that is another story.

All I'm saying is, PP is definitely (and that is a SECURED to ME information) continue limiting the amount of re-sellers. Which may or may not result into having certain pieces boutique only. we will see


ADs have stock. Its just not the hot stuff everybody wants. Luckily for me I like what is available at retail at most ADs.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:43 AM   #43
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 28
Boutique only sport watches maybe the best way for Patek to maximise sales and protect Patek image. But it maybe a little too late as the Nautilus market price has been dropping like stone.
Most of AD sell Patek and few other brands in their store. This complicates Patek sales. For example if you want to purchase Nautilus or Aquanaut you have to help the AD purchase a few other watches ; it could be some leather straps non sport Patek such as the world time Patek , and some difficult to sell watches such as Omega, JLC or Baume Mercier to develop relationship. If client refuse the offer, the AD would not sell Patek sport watches.
Imagine if you have only just enough money to buy a Nautilus retail, say US$30,000 cash... and you need to spend additional $50,000 on watches you will never wear just to develop relationships to get a Nautilus ... you will be better move on and just buy a Daytona in grey market ; some people do have $70,000 to spend on Nautilus 5711 but he may not have the time to sit around the AD “developing” relationships talking on watches he never wanted; he will buy the Nautilus in the grey Market. In both cases, Patek has lost potential sales revenue; these 2 types of person may account for 50% of the Nautilus market. I saw there is weariness amongst Nautilus enthusiasts and some even have lost interest completely as economy is getting tough these days.
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
MohBxl
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Banners Of The Month

Banners Of The Month
*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.