The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2021, 12:25 AM   #1
www777
"TRF" Member

RO compared to vacheron 4500V vs Patek

So I’m trying to educate myself on the holy trinity. Patek and AP seem to get most of the hype. But I noticed the vacheron 4500v blue dial is selling in the aftermarket for similar mark ups but I don’t see much discussion of this piece. Any general observations of all three? Thanks
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 12:51 AM   #2
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Had a blue 4500v for two years. It’s more of a high watchmaking datejust in terms of feeling than the other two, that have an entirely different vibe. Quality of execution is equivalent or better than a Nautilus and certainly better than an AP, but it doesn’t exude the same ethereal feeling of delicacy that makes the other two so attractive. It’s just that little bit “sturdier” which makes it something completely different. But it’s a very good watch. I also believe VC realized this fairly early on. It’s charm is more Everest North Flank than it is Côte d’Azur, and they really hit the soul of the piece when they went for the whole Cory Richards thing. That’s very germane to the watch and I actually did quite a bit of mountaineering in mine as well, albeit, not at the same level of course.

What got me to letting it go in the end was the bezel. They’ve just overdone it with the Maltese cross motif on this watch for my taste. I could have done with the bracelet easily, it’s beautiful, but the bezel bothered me every time I picked the thing up.

Whenever they make one with the finer bezel of the 222, I’ll certainly be first in line.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:25 AM   #3
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

You seem to be asking a lot of hype and investment questions in all your threads. The 5711 is the most hyped and has been the best investment. Sounds like you should go with that one
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:44 AM   #4
www777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
You seem to be asking a lot of hype and investment questions in all your threads. The 5711 is the most hyped and has been the best investment. Sounds like you should go with that one
Thanks. I actually had a 5711 like 10 years go and let it go. Big mistake. That said I wasn’t that drawn to it. I understand the hype of the models which is interesting but not alone a reason to buy. But is that the only motivation. Vs workmanship of a specific model, robustness, finishing, movement, quality of bracelet, legacy of brand etc that result in the hype or is there really no correlation. Or is it purely a personal preference as quality is the same cross these three.
Old 29 November 2021, 02:47 AM   #5
www777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Had a blue 4500v for two years. It’s more of a high watchmaking datejust in terms of feeling than the other two, that have an entirely different vibe. Quality of execution is equivalent or better than a Nautilus and certainly better than an AP, but it doesn’t exude the same ethereal feeling of delicacy that makes the other two so attractive. It’s just that little bit “sturdier” which makes it something completely different. But it’s a very good watch. I also believe VC realized this fairly early on. It’s charm is more Everest North Flank than it is Côte d’Azur, and they really hit the soul of the piece when they went for the whole Cory Richards thing. That’s very germane to the watch and I actually did quite a bit of mountaineering in mine as well, albeit, not at the same level of course.

What got me to letting it go in the end was the bezel. They’ve just overdone it with the Maltese cross motif on this watch for my taste. I could have done with the bracelet easily, it’s beautiful, but the bezel bothered me every time I picked the thing up.

Whenever they make one with the finer bezel of the 222, I’ll certainly be first in line.
Interesting observations. Thanks
Old 29 November 2021, 04:43 AM   #6
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

The RO feels way more special than the VC on the wrist. It is not even close.
Old 29 November 2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
+1. I think the Overseas is no doubt a solid watch, but I find that the overall design isn’t as cohesive as the other two. The Maltese cross motif throughout seems overly forced; it’s part of the reason I prefer how the Overseas wears on its leather and rubber strap than on its bracelet. For me, the thickness of the bracelet and the fact it doesn’t taper is a dealbreaker for me.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 07:51 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

I found the 4500V blue underwhelming in both the looks and fit departments when I tried it on many years ago. Just nothing special there IMO except for the blue dial which I found too loud and blue for my liking. Also don't like the markers and and the execution of the date on the 4500.

Among the other two I went 5711 for its softer and less industrial features compared to the RO. Still happy no matter the recent hype and it has been my daily for most of the year while my beater has been in and out of the shop.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 02:11 AM   #9
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg1121 View Post
the ro feels way more special than the vc on the wrist. It is not even close.
+2. The VC bored me to tears on the wrist. The AP I always hated in pictures ... until I had a RO on the wrist. So much magic with the case and dial finishing. Now its in the collection (at the expense of 2/3rds of my Rolex's - no regret).
Old 30 November 2021, 02:25 AM   #10
Zavier
"TRF" Member

The 4500v is a solid sports watch with great finishing. It has very good water resistance and magnetic resistance which AP and PP lacks. However, I was extremely turned off by the service department.. there were smudges underneath the crystal and the watch was still under warranty. I told the salesperson that this defect is unacceptable and I wanted it fixed. She brushed it off and told me, this is normal. So guess what, no more VC for me.

The nautilus and ro finishing is much better than VC in my opinion though. But i prefer the ro as i need a watch with higher power reserve.
Zavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 03:44 AM   #11
www777
"TRF" Member

Just noticed the AP 15500 has an updated movement. Now I’m leaning towards that instead. Probably impossible to get though. Really like the grey dial.
Old 30 November 2021, 07:58 AM   #12
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Strongly disagree. The blue lacquer dial on the VC Overseas three-hand is in a different universe in terms of beauty. None of the RO dials can touch it. The silver dial version is super cool too, with a retro look. The blue Overseas is approaching double retail price on the secondary market and is impossible to get from ADs. There's a reason.

Some of this is subjective, of course, but I much prefer the VC design overall and really dislike the fussy look of all those little screws on the RO bezel. The fit and finish of the two are exceptional and comparable in terms of craftsmanship, and both have stunning movements to look at through the case back.

Another advantage the VC has, IMHO, is the two additional straps (rubber and gator) and the quick strap-change system that transforms the watch.

I owned the VC (twice) and only sold it to fund a couple of expensive vintage pieces, but I'd love to get another one. I've tried on a couple varieties of the RO many times but wasn't impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrira View Post
For me, the thickness of the bracelet and the fact it doesn’t taper is a dealbreaker for me.
The VC bracelet does indeed taper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC Rubber Sun-TRF.jpg (282.2 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg VC-Metal-TRF.jpg (283.6 KB, 253 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:43 AM   #13
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Entirely subjective and my (educated - as I have the 3) opinion:

- The RO is the best of the bunch. I find its design exceptional and if I had to keep just one it would be the RO
- Less subjective: the RO is the mother of all integrated bracelet sport watches. It's the first one. Period. The first one designed by Genta in 1972. And solely for this, this makes it the Godfather
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:51 AM   #14
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I owned the blue 3 hander after a lengthy wait from boutique earlier this year. The dial was pure magic but that is where it stopped for me. The strap changes are cool but next to the 26315, it always felt like a flimsier version and a downgrade. Off it went and the royal oak lives on
Old 30 November 2021, 09:31 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
I owned the blue 3 hander after a lengthy wait from boutique earlier this year. The dial was pure magic but that is where it stopped for me. The strap changes are cool but next to the 26315, it always felt like a flimsier version and a downgrade. Off it went and the royal oak lives on
Isn't the 26315 the 38mm chronograph? Not sure that's a good comparison with the VC Overseas three-hander. Very different type of watch.

I'd say the AP 15500ST is the best watch-to-watch comparison, and I'd still take the VC all day. But again, some of it simply comes down to personal preference on the actual designs. They're both beautiful.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 10:14 AM   #16
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Isn't the 26315 the 38mm chronograph? Not sure that's a good comparison with the VC Overseas three-hander. Very different type of watch.

I'd say the AP 15500ST is the best watch-to-watch comparison, and I'd still take the VC all day. But again, some of it simply comes down to personal preference on the actual designs. They're both beautiful.
Totally agree with that. Both really amazing pieces and matter of personal preference!
Old 30 November 2021, 10:57 AM   #17
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

hard to beat a royal oak on bracelet but it needs to be seen in person to really understand. VC are great watches and their blue dials are incredible but as an overall package i feel like AP is hard to beat

i don't have much to say about patek. they're just too out of my league for me to even entertain at this point lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 11:31 AM   #18
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
The VC bracelet does indeed taper.
The first couple of links on the VC taper, but the rest of the bracelet almost doesn’t seem to. On the RO and Nautilus, there’s a gradual but perceptible taper from the lugs to the clasp – each link clearly has a different width from the ones it connects to. This lends the watches an elegance that I feel the VC on its bracelet does not have. I do, however, think the Overseas looks stunning on its rubber and leather straps.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote