The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2021, 10:05 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Will RSC regulate my watch and if so...

How much would it cost and how long would it take?

I have a 116234 thats running consistent but too fast for my liking (+6). I don't have an independent watchmaker or someone I trust like that and I live within walking distance of an RSC.

So my question is, will they regulate the watch or require a service? The watch is only 3 years old but not covered by warranty since I do not have the card.

If they will regulate it on site, does this typically cost anything? My experience in the past at RSC has been that little adjustments are complimentary.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Most RSC's are in business, so freebies do cut into that business plan.

Typically though, they do regulate watches both under warranty and if they need it, and a full service is not necessary.

They may do it as a courtesy, or look the watch up to see if the warranty is valid.

Regulation is not expensive, but only you can decide if the cost is worth the few seconds to you.

Last edited by Tools; 28 November 2021 at 02:28 PM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post

I have a 116234 thats running consistent but too fast for my liking (+6). I don't have an independent watchmaker or someone I trust like that and I live within walking distance of an RSC.

So my question is, will they regulate the watch or require a service? The watch is only 3 years old but not covered by warranty since I do not have the card.

If they will regulate it on site, does this typically cost anything? My experience in the past at RSC has been that little adjustments are complimentary.
Could you walk down to the RSC and ask them?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 07:25 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Would a car service centre ‘tune’ your car for free?
Old 28 November 2021, 07:28 PM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Would a car service centre ‘tune’ your car for free?

I don’t think any of them would “tune” the car at all

But, I get what you’re saying.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 08:09 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Take my advice leave it even a consistent +6 seconds is very good seeing there are 86400 seconds in a day, you could ask RSC to regulate it, but might incur a cost. And with any regulation on a machine to say +2 seconds dont always mean it will perform exactly the same every day on the wrist. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 11:21 PM   #7
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Stop in and tell them you live in the neighborhood and ask if they could check the timing on your watch. See what they say and if they find it 6 seconds fast ask for the options available. If they say they will regulate it then ask after the cost. Might be free, depending on how they feel that day, or there might be a cost. If they say it requires a service I would thank them and wait until something else is wrong and it needs one.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 11:38 PM   #8
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
It's out of spec for any superlative chronometer and Rolex will fix it under warranty IF you have the warranty card. Without it, not sure if it's free.

Rolex:
To assure the efficiency of its development and production process, in 2015, Rolex introduced the Superlative Chronometer certification. To be awarded this designation, all finished watches, after coming out of production, go through a series of entirely automated checks. This high- technology control chain, exclusive to the brand, guarantees the precision of the watch to within -2/+2 seconds per day – a tolerance specific to Rolex. This is considerably more exacting than the requirement set by the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC). It also ensures that the watch’s autonomy corresponds to its stated power reserve, that it is waterproof to the required depth and that the self-winding module functions properly. If the watch passes this string of tests without a hitch, it obtains the Superlative Chronometer certification and is given the green seal, which is coupled with a five-year guarantee. This step concludes the entire reliability process.
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 12:02 AM   #9
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Ask them to check it out. It’s free and can be done in a few minutes. I’ve done it and went to the HQ a few times.

If your watch is under warranty, go for it. If you have to pay, live to fight another day. You’ll get this figured it out during the next service.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 01:58 AM   #10
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Ask them to check it out. It’s free and can be done in a few minutes. I’ve done it and went to the HQ a few times.

For an average 6sec./day I’d skip the risk of scratches and nicks. RSC is more careful than a bench jeweler but it does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Take my advice leave it even a consistent +6 seconds is very good seeing there are 86400 seconds in a day, you could ask RSC to regulate it, but might incur a cost. And with any regulation on a machine to say +2 seconds dont always mean it will perform exactly the same every day on the wrist. .

Agree…I think this is the best answer considering the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 02:00 AM   #11
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Not a big deal by any means but in your very fortunate position I'd take a walk.
Old 29 November 2021, 02:37 AM   #12
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Obviously +6 isn’t terrible on its own and the consistency is great given its an automatic movement. I guess the reason it bothers me so much is that I am a 2 watch guy and my other watch, a submariner, runs about +1 second a day. So when I switch between watches I really notice how fast the datejust is.

RSC has always done things complimentary for me whether it’s been adding lubricant to the movement. That’s why I asked if it’s free. I’m not penny pinching or anything just trying to get an idea of what it would cost if they were to charge me. Also, if people were to say they’ve had it done for free or for a low cost at a reputable watchmaker, and RSC charged a very obscene amount, I would look elsewhere. I also am trying to ask ahead of time instead of just going over there because their hours are pretty bad and it requires me to take off from work. Not the end of the world but annoying if it turns out they can’t do it or there are other options available elsewhere at a better cost/service quality.
Old 29 November 2021, 04:31 AM   #13
djdm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-C
Not an answer to your question but have you experimented with night time resting position?
djdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 04:39 AM   #14
RobJohnFL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
RSC is drilled for efficiency and won’t treat your watch the way you do.
I’ve had some bad experience with RSC performing warranty work.
RobJohnFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 04:49 AM   #15
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
By the time you’re going to spend reading the replies here you could’ve had your answer already.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 05:12 AM   #16
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I only wish mine was a +6. My Tudor Sub consistently have -10 per day, so I sync it to 10 seconds early and it's good for 3 days before I have to re-sync, which is usually the end of my watch rotation.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 05:23 AM   #17
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
By the time you’re going to spend reading the replies here you could’ve had your answer already.
They’re not open on the weekends but okay nice try to be smart
Old 29 November 2021, 05:24 AM   #18
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdm View Post
Not an answer to your question but have you experimented with night time resting position?
I have. Unfortunately it hasn’t helped. It’s been doing this since I got it and I’ve tried all the different positions at night for a fair amount of time and no difference. I think the newer references are less susceptible to positional changes.
Old 29 November 2021, 10:18 AM   #19
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
[QUOTE=sportsfan0704;11838791]I have. Unfortunately it hasn’t helped. It’s been doing this since I got it and I’ve tried all the different positions at night for a fair amount of time and no difference. I think the newer references are less susceptible to positional changes.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct. My personal tests have more than proven this.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 05:40 PM   #20
aba123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 / 124270
My 16570 was running +8 pr day. I just had it regulated at an AD. It took two days, no service needed. Now it’s running at +2. Cost me 70 usd.
aba123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 11:31 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
It's out of spec for any superlative chronometer and Rolex will fix it under warranty IF you have the warranty card. Without it, not sure if it's free.

Rolex:
To assure the efficiency of its development and production process, in 2015, Rolex introduced the Superlative Chronometer certification. To be awarded this designation, all finished watches, after coming out of production, go through a series of entirely automated checks. This high- technology control chain, exclusive to the brand, guarantees the precision of the watch to within -2/+2 seconds per day – a tolerance specific to Rolex. This is considerably more exacting than the requirement set by the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC). It also ensures that the watch’s autonomy corresponds to its stated power reserve, that it is waterproof to the required depth and that the self-winding module functions properly. If the watch passes this string of tests without a hitch, it obtains the Superlative Chronometer certification and is given the green seal, which is coupled with a five-year guarantee. This step concludes the entire reliability process.
Around 2015 Rolex required all ADs to begin including green Superlative Chronometer tags with new customer purchases, rather than the red seal. And at this time many red seal watches in stock with the older COSC were given the green seals. In the real world the green seals were mainly to indicate the change to 5 year warranty. And fact the bare uncased movements are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE -4+6 daily seconds to get the COSC certification to have the word chronometer on the dial. Rolex then tests many at a time with movement in its case to the -2+2 precision spec. And this change was mainly done because of industry pressure, as competitors such as Omega had offered five year guarantees and new timing spec so Rolex had to follow. The term superlative chronometer has been on Rolex dials for many decades, and in the real world all the Rolex movements since the 15 series when regulated could match this new marketing spec.

Position Of Watch seconds Per Day Rolex precision test this is still a pass result.
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 29 November 2021, 11:56 PM   #22
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Around 2015 Rolex required all ADs to begin including green Superlative Chronometer tags with new customer purchases, rather than the red seal. And at this time many red seal watches in stock with the older COSC were given the green seals. In the real world the green seals were mainly to indicate the change to 5 year warranty. And fact the bare uncased movements are still tested at the COSC to a AVERAGE -4+6 daily seconds to get the COSC certification to have the word chronometer on the dial. Rolex then tests many at a time with movement in its case to the -2+2 precision spec. And this change was mainly done because of industry pressure, as competitors such as Omega had offered five year guarantees and new timing spec so Rolex had to follow. The term superlative chronometer has been on Rolex dials for many decades, and in the real world all the Rolex movements since the 15 series when regulated could match this new marketing spec.

Position Of Watch seconds Per Day Rolex precision test this is still a pass result.
Dial Up +2
Dial Down -1
6 o’clock +3
9 o’clock -3
3 o’clock +5
Yep, I know.

And that's what one pays for, the exact regulation. It takes time and effort. Of course with enough patience one can regulate cheaper movements to cosc or better specs. My point was - that Rolex guarantees maximum -2 or +2 and you can hold them to it and they will regulate the watch to match this.
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 01:53 AM   #23
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Fwiw the watch in question is a 116234 datejust sold by an AD in 2018. It was unworn until I purchased it in July of this year. Since wearing it it’s been consistent at +6, regardless of activity level, how fresh it is since last wind, what position I left it in overnight etc. +6 is still good and the consistency is great obviously, but having my submariner run +1 really draws me to the +6
Old 30 November 2021, 02:14 AM   #24
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I personally wouldn't mess with it. If it were running that slow that would bother me more.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 03:31 AM   #25
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Personally... That would be too much. One of the reason I enjoy Rolex is their relative accuracy for a mechanical watch. If my new car was not running well I'd get that taken care of too. I don't mind if it's a bit outside the +2-2 spec. Mine is usually around +3.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 03:48 AM   #26
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Leave it.

And when you change the date set it 3 minutes behind and it will all average out in the long run. When service is due have them deal with it then.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:09 AM   #27
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
If you set the watch correct today then in 10 days it will be 60 seconds out.

During the time that your watch has gained those 60 seconds the world has turned a few times and 864,000 seconds will have past, if it were me I would leave the watch alone and wait until the service is due, after all gaining 60 seconds in 864,000 isn't really that big an issue.

You can also look at the fact that in 14,400 minutes your watch gained 1 minute, thats pretty damn accurate, not to Rolex spec I agree, but damn accurate nevertheless.

Just my 10c of opinion.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:16 AM   #28
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

During the time that your watch has gained those 60 seconds the world has turned a few times and 864,000 seconds will have past, if it were me I would leave the watch alone and wait until the service is due, after all gaining 60 seconds in 864,000 isn't really that big an issue.

You can also look at the fact that in 14,400 minutes your watch gained 1 minute, thats pretty damn accurate, not to Rolex spec I agree, but damn accurate nevertheless.

Just my 10c of opinion.
Of course in the grand scheme of things it’s very minor. So are Rolex waitlists and the chase for SS models from ADs. The point being that to a watch enthusiast or whatever you wanna call it, it’s a bigger deal. I don’t even care about specs aspect of it. It’s more about the fact that I know the watch can be more accurate and there is a means to achieve that (regulation). Of course if accuracy was the only goal I would get a quartz watch. But just because something isn’t intended to be as perfect as a quartz watch doesn’t mean settling.
Old 30 November 2021, 06:35 AM   #29
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Of course in the grand scheme of things it’s very minor. So are Rolex waitlists and the chase for SS models from ADs. The point being that to a watch enthusiast or whatever you wanna call it, it’s a bigger deal. I don’t even care about specs aspect of it. It’s more about the fact that I know the watch can be more accurate and there is a means to achieve that (regulation). Of course if accuracy was the only goal I would get a quartz watch. But just because something isn’t intended to be as perfect as a quartz watch doesn’t mean settling.
I'm a watch enthusiast, if my watches are running badly then I'll do something about it but 6 seconds a day isn't a big issue IMHO.

However you clearly feel that 6 seconds is an issue and it is clearly bugging you so I guess that you have answered your own question, get the watch regulated so that it runs within the specs you expect from Rolex.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 06:35 PM   #30
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

Just my 10c of opinion.
Have agree when man went to the moon and back way back in 1969 there timing was not as accurate as some watches today.Yet today many worry and fret over perhaps 3-4 seconds under or over spec like if its going to dramatically effect there daily life.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club