The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2020, 12:39 PM   #91
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I'd mention to your AD what you plan to do and your timeline. Maybe they can hook something up. The Patek is ridiculously nice as if you need anyone to tell you
Old 22 September 2020, 12:51 PM   #92
bcmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Patek got my vote also
bcmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:53 PM   #93
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'd cancel my 116519LN order in a heartbeat for that Patek! Not a fan of Oysterflex although when I tried it on it's very comfortable! The 5205 happens to be my favorite Patek!
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:57 PM   #94
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Forget the brands... what’s more useful? An annual calendar or a stopwatch? Annual calendar gets my vote.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:27 PM   #95
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1369 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

So, I have a few rules for myself in collecting, which includes (1) get watches to commemorate big life events, (2) seek pieces that are diverse style, brand, and cost wise, (3) don't exceed 8 watches (size of my case), and (4) can trade any of them but my first one - a year Panerai 112. These have worked for me so far and I have 6 watches to date.

My initial grail watch that I always said I would get to mark my upcoming career milestone (and birthday) was a Day Date 40. However, if just didn't sing to me when I tried many on. I then pivoted to WG Daytona (I want a PM that is modern and really speaks to me), hence the deposit. I also particularly loved the Patek 5205 (a beautiful, modern PM) and thought it would really hit on my diversity principle/rule, seeing that I have a few other Rolex sport models (Milgauss, BLNR), but I told myself let's make that watch number 8 and the next big conquest :) a few years from now.

However, given Daytona delay and my much higher bonus and pay raise (a great surprise), I'm re-thinking my approach hence this thread...

That all said, I do wonder if the Patek is too dressy for my style...but it would be my perfect suit and more dressy watch. Only other dressy-ish watch I have is a black ceramic Octo Finissimo.

And, no matter what I'm going to get my deposit back...thanks all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just this past weekend at local AD I inquired about a YG Daytona on OF. He said Rolex just stopped allowing dealers to order those watches. On allotment only at this time. Your order was probably punted out of the system. Maybe The AD should have told you that he couldn't order not just say hey it's now going to take over a year to get the watch.
Old 23 September 2020, 06:19 AM   #96
pj1369
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR126720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Just this past weekend at local AD I inquired about a YG Daytona on OF. He said Rolex just stopped allowing dealers to order those watches. On allotment only at this time. Your order was probably punted out of the system. Maybe The AD should have told you that he couldn't order not just say hey it's now going to take over a year to get the watch.

That makes a ton of sense given how things have evolved for me

pj1369 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:26 AM   #97
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Pp
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:27 AM   #98
MerchantMariner
"TRF" Member

Everyone seems to have the Daytona these days. Stand apart and go Patek, is my vote.
MerchantMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #99
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
They’re so far apart, it’s not comparable. One is a chronograph without Date, the other a GMT Annual Calendar.
A calendar is useful because it's nice to know the date without pulling out your phone. The chrono is useful because it's nice to know how much time has elapsed since some event without having to remember the minute and second that the event happened.

Neither of those functions add $20k+ of 'value' to my life, but personally I would find the calendar is the more useful of the two when I'm away from my laptop or phone.

But wait... I have a 116519LN and don't have the Patek annual calendar. Why would I have done that when a calendar is more practical ?!

Answer: the Daytona on oysterflex is a great looking, casual-luxury watch which you can wear in the shower or at a dinner without someone thinking you're an idiot. Whereas the Patek 5205 on a glossy leather strap is a dress watch and even pre-covid lockdowns, I didn't have much cause to wear a dress watch (and have a much more affordable Glashutte Original which looks pretty enough to fill my 'dress watch on leather strap with date' duties even though it is of course a tier or two lower than Patek).

So which one to get depends on which one you would like the most and which one you would wear the most (may not be the same answer) and what you already have in your watchbox.

The AD saying he can no longer get the 519LN on instant access is obviously disappointing, but easy enough to get it grey for more money or wait. The fact that the Patek is available without waitlist does not mean it's fundamentally more useful, more versatile or better or worse as a value proposition - unless you are some shallow bimbo that needs some shiny new arm candy in time for your birthday. The fact that you have a birthday next month which coincides with Patek availability doesn't mean the Patek is a watch you would enjoy more over the next decade or two.

The Audemars is nice as a simple dress-downable blue HH watch, though if dress-downable blue is your thing, I would give up on having a date and open up things like a Mosier Endeavour or (with more grey market cash) aa FPJ Chronometre Bleu!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:45 PM   #100
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
It seems you’re too uncertain about what to chose.

I wouldn’t make a call on it right now, unless you’re absolutely certain.

In my mind you’ll end up buying something because you want a watch, but you’ll always continue dreaming about the Daytona until you get it.

So why not save yourself the hassle and money and drive around to a couple different AD’s and try to source a PM Daytona.

They’re not as difficult to get as SS models, I’ve seen several when driving around and popping into ADs.

Even at grey prices they’re not too far from the MSRP price and New in Box.

Their over 7k over msrp. New unworn.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:52 PM   #101
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cde1218 View Post
I like the Patek- the only concern I would have it that it is a more dressy watch and somewhat less versatile. Both are beautiful pieces though!
Is that even a thing in 2020? People wear SS sport watches with everything from a T shirt to a suit and tie.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:16 PM   #102
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
That Patek is the business.
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 01:20 PM   #103
FriendlyTotodial
"TRF" Member

Patek
FriendlyTotodial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:45 PM   #104
Phoneix8
"TRF" Member

Any discounts on the 5205 at AD or retail price?
Phoneix8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 02:13 PM   #105
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
The 5205 is the way to go here in my opinion and from those choices. It is a more modern Patek that can be worn in a "smart sporty" style due to it's case design and thickness. Not many of their watches are casual/young from the complications but this one and the 5960 step out of the Patek conservative style. I tried them both a while ago at NYC Tiffany boutique and they are more geared for the younger professional, I thought both were lovely.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:12 AM   #106
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I’ve never been a huge fan of the 5205. I feel like the case sits a little high and I didn’t love the ombré dial. I have the LN and it is one of my favorite watches. Super versatile and the Oysterflex makes it one of my most comfortable watches. If you want a PP AC, I have and really like both the 5146g and 5726a.

UmichNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:43 AM   #107
artschool
"TRF" Member

I tried on the 5524R and really liked it.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:45 AM   #108
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Bro you need to even ask? Get the Patek

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote