The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2020, 07:02 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Nobody is forcing you to pay above msrp at the AD. I suppose they as business owners can call their own shots, and you and your wallet can do the same.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 07:09 AM   #32
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
Nope in UK
In the UK they can sell above MRSP just as they can sell below MRSP.

Rolex doesn’t like either, but neither is illegal.

We mustn’t forget what brands like and what the law dictates aren’t always the same.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 07:17 AM   #33
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Wow what a lousy AD. They should be reported.
We need to get Chewie on this and the AD will be "Reported."
Old 25 September 2020, 07:25 AM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not think ADs can in the US. But, charging market price would end all the flipping and the grey market. I suspect the watches would be easier to get as there would no longer be hoarding of inventory by the used watch dealers. Overtime, the premiums over MSRP should decline as the profit angle is no longer there and a lot of buyers will find a new vocation.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 07:39 AM   #35
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Yes, they can, and do, just as easily as they can discount if they choose to.

MSRP is a suggested price that almost everything sold has listed. It's frowned on, but it's done all the time.
I agree but the receipt need to show the actual sell price.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 08:18 AM   #36
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Somethings wrong with this picture. When l pay in cash at my AD its more of a bargaining chip for me. O well, we are talking about luxury items and it's not just watches where this goes on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:42 AM   #37
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
I believe you are referring to Bhindi Jewelers...they have been doing this crap for years.

Haha, was thinking the same but didn't say it.
Old 25 September 2020, 10:10 AM   #38
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatrava r View Post
i do not think ads can in the us. But, charging market price would end all the flipping and the grey market. I suspect the watches would be easier to get as there would no longer be hoarding of inventory by the used watch dealers. Overtime, the premiums over msrp should decline as the profit angle is no longer there and a lot of buyers will find a new vocation.
+1
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:20 AM   #39
tonysoprano100
"TRF" Member

One week they tried to sell me a Panda for 25.000 usd.

They said “the watch is not our watch is from a client who is no.1 in the list and he dont want it”

So ridiculous.
tonysoprano100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:23 AM   #40
drjt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlover914 View Post
I can tell you that the local AD here sold me three pieces at pretty much grey pricing. He rang them up differently so it did show that I paid more then MSRP. I would not normally have done that, but at the time I wanted them and could not find them elsewhere and they were never putting them out on the floor. He had an entire tray of ss models. I will never say their name as I don't want to burn any bridge for the future, plus I was full complicit in the transaction.
This is now the third instance I've heard of this AD doing this. Not hard to guess who. There's only a few in Maryland.
drjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:27 AM   #41
Neepy
"TRF" Member

I truly thought It was part of the deal with Rolex, we approve you to put up our signage, you sell at our price
Neepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:31 AM   #42
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
There is one AD I know sells above MSRP.

Basically what happened was I asked them if they have SS Daytona in stock and they said yes and willing to sell me MSRP + Current market premium (About $10,000) in cash.

They said I can pay however I like for the MSRP but the premium must be paid with cash.

Of course this AD is known for bundling junks to get you qualified for desirable piece.

I'm not going to say the AD name but they are in SoCal (Border of LA and Orange County).
This is insane!
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:37 AM   #43
WhiteRhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I’m glad they are ripping y’all off. You have yourself to blame if you pay those prices. People have more money than sense apparently .
WhiteRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:01 AM   #44
dmash
"TRF" Member

Lol I wish some of the people in the supply and demand threads would read this one. I told them this blatantly happens and so many on TRF want to act like all ADs are honest and say ‘oh no, there’s just so much demand at retail, and grey pricing is purely from a buyer flipping immediately after purchasing from an AD’. Even the honest ADs have become shady in the past couple years, the allure of insane profit is too tempting. Huge difference between $500 and $5000 extra on MULTIPLE timepieces each year.

Some have incredible tunnel vision and are really naive. All these ADs lie about their allocations, even to people who spend a decent amount. Because they can pocket extra g’s backdooring to greys. And they have had professions relationship for years so they know nobody is going to rat. Open your eyes guys, this stuff happens ALL the time and your AD talking about ‘10 subs per year’ is full of it.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:27 AM   #45
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
lol i wish some of the people in the supply and demand threads would read this one. I told them this blatantly happens and so many on trf want to act like all ads are honest and say ‘oh no, there’s just so much demand at retail, and grey pricing is purely from a buyer flipping immediately after purchasing from an ad’. Even the honest ads have become shady in the past couple years, the allure of insane profit is too tempting. Huge difference between $500 and $5000 extra on multiple timepieces each year.

Some have incredible tunnel vision and are really naive. All these ads lie about their allocations, even to people who spend a decent amount. Because they can pocket extra g’s backdooring to greys. And they have had professions relationship for years so they know nobody is going to rat. Open your eyes guys, this stuff happens all the time and your ad talking about ‘10 subs per year’ is full of it.
100%
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:32 AM   #46
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
They may be able to sell above (or below) MSRP...but I'm pretty sure pocketing cash that doesn't go through accounting is "frowned upon" by a certain government agency.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 12:29 PM   #47
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol I wish some of the people in the supply and demand threads would read this one. I told them this blatantly happens and so many on TRF want to act like all ADs are honest and say ‘oh no, there’s just so much demand at retail, and grey pricing is purely from a buyer flipping immediately after purchasing from an AD’. Even the honest ADs have become shady in the past couple years, the allure of insane profit is too tempting. Huge difference between $500 and $5000 extra on MULTIPLE timepieces each year.

Some have incredible tunnel vision and are really naive. All these ADs lie about their allocations, even to people who spend a decent amount. Because they can pocket extra g’s backdooring to greys. And they have had professions relationship for years so they know nobody is going to rat. Open your eyes guys, this stuff happens ALL the time and your AD talking about ‘10 subs per year’ is full of it.
100%

It's the greed that is driving the price.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 12:37 PM   #48
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Not anymore in Singapore.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:13 PM   #49
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
I’ve seen it first hard.....
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:18 PM   #50
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Yes, they can, and do, just as easily as they can discount if they choose to.

MSRP is a suggested price that almost everything sold has listed. It's frowned on, but it's done all the time.
They don't sell above retail in the UK, if they do they are at risk of loosing the Rolex account
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:21 PM   #51
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
if the AD could sell at a discount why not at a premium? Plenty of other consumer items selling over MSRP out there from authorized dealers. Many new vehicles for example are listed above MSRP.
Old 25 September 2020, 01:27 PM   #52
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
if the AD could sell at a discount why not at a premium? Plenty of other consumer items selling over MSRP out there from authorized dealers. Many new vehicles for example are listed above MSRP.

Because Rolex wants them to sell each watch at MSRP, with discounts at the discretion of the AD subject to a maximum set by Rolex in order to maintain pricing. Can’t have a day date going for a 30% discount in store.

As others have said, Rolex can’t legally stop them from selling at whatever price they want. What Rolex can do is not renew their AD status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:30 PM   #53
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
In the UK they can sell above MRSP just as they can sell below MRSP.

Rolex doesn’t like either, but neither is illegal.

We mustn’t forget what brands like and what the law dictates aren’t always the same.
They don't sell above retail.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:43 PM   #54
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Ha! I was at Bhindi last week checking to see if they got a piece I am after.
It wasn’t too pleasant but hopefully I get a call soon.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 02:43 PM   #55
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
There is one AD I know sells above MSRP.

Basically what happened was I asked them if they have SS Daytona in stock and they said yes and willing to sell me MSRP + Current market premium (About $10,000) in cash.

They said I can pay however I like for the MSRP but the premium must be paid with cash.

Of course this AD is known for bundling junks to get you qualified for desirable piece.

I'm not going to say the AD name but they are in SoCal (Border of LA and Orange County).

You should say the AD name. I think any AD that engages in these kind of business practices should be put on blast for other members to see.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:34 PM   #56
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
You should say the AD name. I think any AD that engages in these kind of business practices should be put on blast for other members to see.

It was already said by other fellow members.
They are known for this type of practice.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:38 PM   #57
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
Shady ADs should be reported to Rolex. AD should not do that and must follow Rolex guidelines.

You would not mind a discount would you ?
Old 25 September 2020, 03:46 PM   #58
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by scombs263 View Post
I’ve seen it first hard.....
Freudian slip.
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:50 PM   #59
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How is the current situation not due to supply/demand?

If there's no demand at the prices jacked up by the reindeer games played by ADs and greys, then market prices will fall eventually.
If MSRP is below market rate, of course suppliers will grab whatever they can.

Who's not getting a piece of the action is Rolex if they keep MSRP and their % of that unchanged.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:53 PM   #60
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
How is the current situation not due to supply/demand?

If there's no demand at the prices jacked up by the reindeer games played by ADs and greys, then market prices will fall eventually.

Of course it's a manipulated market, with the suppliers trying to get the most money they can from those willing to pay.

Who's not getting a piece of the action is Rolex if they keep the MSRP and their % of that unchanged.
Because it’s entirely manipulated. The watches are sold backdoor even with nobody on a ‘list’ and greys are listing at inflated prices/whatever they want, therefore controlling the market. So everything is propped up higher than if ADs were allowed to just charge whatever and dismiss the grey market entirely.

I’m not saying there is no demand, I’m saying prices are being propped up by the current scheme. If people would just stop buying grey for a year we’d have a more realistic look on things, but people continue to pay whatever and it allows the current AD/Reseller relationship to grow stronger and more profitable.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote