The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2020, 11:06 PM   #91
David001
Banned

I don't know if this helps, but I just bought my daughter the DJ36, literally like an hour ago and I have to be honest it's stunning, on a guys wrist or a girls.

I never really paid them much attention before but my daughter went in with an exact idea of what she wanted, she had them change the bracelet and dig out the exact combination she wanted and it sparkles on the wrist, it really does. I'd happily wear it if the bracelet was sized to me.

I'll post a picture if you want, but genuinely, if you like the DJ then go for it, it's an absolutely beautiful watch and easily rivals the looks of a Sub.
Completely changed my mind about them, it wasn't that I didn't like them but with the right combination they really pop on the wrist.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:21 PM   #92
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
I don't know if this helps, but I just bought my daughter the DJ36, literally like an hour ago and I have to be honest it's stunning, on a guys wrist or a girls.

I never really paid them much attention before but my daughter went in with an exact idea of what she wanted, she had them change the bracelet and dig out the exact combination she wanted and it sparkles on the wrist, it really does. I'd happily wear it if the bracelet was sized to me.

I'll post a picture if you want, but genuinely, if you like the DJ then go for it, it's an absolutely beautiful watch and easily rivals the looks of a Sub.
Completely changed my mind about them, it wasn't that I didn't like them but with the right combination they really pop on the wrist.

Post it up! I’m also believer that the oyster/fluted DJ36 is one of the best women’s watches on the market! Oyster is sporty, fluted bezel is dressy, all around really really nice combi. We’re doing the rose gold TT, just waiting for things to open back up a bit.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:32 PM   #93
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
OP, IMO the language they used in their reply to your email tells you the position of your second AD. “Gettable” instead of attainable sounds like they have no respect for you or they’re uneducated. That would drive me away in a hurry.

I’ve never had a momentous AD experience. In fact all have been sub par, snooty and even a few times demeaning. I wanted a sub as my first Rolex. I won’t give my money to someone who doesn’t treat me well enough to get it. Thus, I went grey. I bought the sub I wanted (5 digit Swiss dial bluesy) at a decent price point from someone that treated me like a valued customer and not a beggar.

I suggest you expand to a grey and purchase a used sub as your first. Build from there. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:37 PM   #94
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know if this helps, but I just bought my daughter the 36DJ but genuinely, if you like the DJ then go for it, it's an absolutely beautiful watch and easily rivals the looks of a Sub.
Under the hood, Datejust 36/41shares caliber 3235 movement with the Sub Date
The updated Oyster Perputual 36/41 has the same 3230 movement as the Submariner
Jb1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:46 PM   #95
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
When I consult with ADs in my region, they say they can’t keep waiting lists - at least formal lists. So, is that is true, how can your local UK AD say the wait for subs is 6-7 years?

Keep looking, you will find your sub sooner than what people are telling you. A forum member stated a few days ago that he saw a couple of SD43 at a AD in the UK, so SS models are available. It is all about being in the right place at the right time.

Also, don’t buy a watch if your heart is not set on it, it is just sales tactics. Even if you buy what they currently have, there is no guarantee you will get the model you want.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:50 PM   #96
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I can't add anything to this thread but my sentiments of hoping you get the watch your after. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 01:09 AM   #97
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Post it up! I’m also believer that the oyster/fluted DJ36 is one of the best women’s watches on the market! Oyster is sporty, fluted bezel is dressy, all around really really nice combi. We’re doing the rose gold TT, just waiting for things to open back up a bit.
Picture taken in the store, she's busy taking new ones for Instagram - (drives me nuts but that's the new generation).
I'll post a better one up later - the pictures really don't do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 19.07.26.jpg (257.0 KB, 359 views)
Old 27 September 2020, 01:20 AM   #98
David001
Banned

Better picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 19.19.34.jpg (109.7 KB, 367 views)
Old 27 September 2020, 06:46 AM   #99
Sam2710
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Better picture...
That is lovely - congratulations to her for a stunning piece!
Sam2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:47 AM   #100
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

My best advice

Don’t buy a watch, in fact, forget they even exist

It only leads to trouble
Old 28 September 2020, 05:14 AM   #101
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
OP, you're in good company. It does seem harder to purchase a SS sports Rolex from an AD in the UK than the US although demand may soften next year due to weak economic outlook.

I did walk into an AD a few days ago just out of curiosity to enquire about a GMT-Master II.

The SA asked if I had previous purchase history with them. I didn't but the SA said if I bought a Datejust or Day-Date I could be on the list. I declined. In all honesty, the SA has done me a favour and I saved £7,750.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 07:03 AM   #102
draganb
"TRF" Member

I can't for the life of me figure out the business model in this.
Rolex could make 10x more sport SS models and sell them immediately, but instead they choose to produce weirdly configured DJs that noone wants to buy and then they make ADs force that crap upon customers.
What's the point in that?
DJs should be a made to order piece since there is like 100 different configurations. And the time and effort that is spent currently to produce them ad-hoc could be put towards models people actually buy.
draganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 07:19 AM   #103
vette
"TRF" Member

i am stuck in the grey for sure if the pice ever comes down on 116619. Sorry i dont feel like i need to beg a ad to take over 10k from me. My view is if you dont want my green i ll go down the road. My green is as good as any ones. Green is green always accepted.
vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:16 AM   #104
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganb View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out the business model in this.
Rolex could make 10x more sport SS models and sell them immediately, but instead they choose to produce weirdly configured DJs that noone wants to buy and then they make ADs force that crap upon customers.
What's the point in that?
DJs should be a made to order piece since there is like 100 different configurations. And the time and effort that is spent currently to produce them ad-hoc could be put towards models people actually buy.
Incorrect. Many many people are buying these watches right now because they are hard to get and can we flipped for a profit. If Rolex started to overproduce watches, we would go back to five or so years ago when these watches sat in AD cases and had to be sold at huge discounts from an AD.

Lol...Datejusts are one of the top selling watches that Rolex makes.

Producing too many watches is never what any luxury brand wants to do.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:29 AM   #105
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2710 View Post
Hello all,

My story is far from unique, but I'd appreciate any advice. I'm UK based.

I've been dreaming about my first Rolex for many years, however I've only recently been fortunate enough to have the funds available to begin my collection. Similar to so many others, I have desired a Submariner for so long and I would really like this to be my first Rolex. I am under no illusion that I can walk into an AD and walk out with a Submariner, however I didn't expect it to be this bad.

My nearest AD has a reputation for being rude and very unwelcoming to new customers. I went in to enquire but was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't even enter the store without an appointment, and that it was unlikely I would be able to get any model other than what was in the window (the usual selection of two tone DJs). They also informed me that, in the almost zero chance I managed to get a Sub, they would keep the warranty card for one year (not a problem) and I would have to sign a contract prohibiting me from selling the watch for at least three years. It really wasn't a comfortable experience and I decided to travel a bit further to visit another AD.

The next AD couldn't have been more helpful at first. They welcomed me into the showroom and engaged in a friendly conversation about the models I was interested in etc. We had the initial conversation about how the professional models are very in demand / hard to get etc. With that in mind they started showing me some DJ36 models, which they said can still be ordered on demand. The DJ36 is a lovely, lovely watch (especially with the fluted bezel / silver dial) and I'll admit that I did fall for it even though I had my heart set on the Sub.

I took some time to think it over, and just when I thought I was ready to order a DJ36 I realised that I still really want the Sub to be my first Rolex. By this point I had been to the AD numerous times and had some very long conversations about non-watch related topics, so I like to think that we had a good relationship (well, as good as a relationship can be without any financial reward).

I sent a very long, heartfelt email outlining my feeling for the DJ36, explaining that as much as I loved it I would like to be added to the Submariner waiting list. I made it clear that I was willing to wait and that I would like them to have my business. I said that I would like to add the DJ36 to my collection at some point in the future but that I always wanted my first Rolex to be a Sub. I was feeling pretty good about my chances of at least being granted admission to the waiting list.

The reply was a swift, harsh blow to that optimism.

'The wait for a submariner is so long that it has been closed for a long time. It is currently over 6-7 years. We will not be able to start taking expression of interest for another 2 years. You can get added to the expression of interest for the green dial LV only but it will be about 4 years as we only receive 4 pieces per year. I would advise that you invest in a more gettable model for now.'

I have taken the reply to mean that I am simply not important enough to be considered for a Submariner. I was also very surprised that they aren't taking expression of interest in any LN subs, only the LV? Surely the LV demand is higher than LN?

I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on whether the above is true? Or are they just politely telling me to move on?

Thank you.
Anyone that uses the made-up word 'gettable' is obviously a moron.

I really feel for the OP here, but I sincerely hope he doesn't compromise.

To the OP: consider previously owned or grey, at least you'll have your desired reference.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:42 AM   #106
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Gettable. I believe he means it isn't that the AD can't get them. You're being told in no uncertain terms that YOU don't get them. YOU get TT Datejusts. Your gettables sir.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:48 AM   #107
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Gettable. I believe he means it isn't that the AD can't get them. You're being told in no uncertain terms that YOU don't get them. YOU get TT Datejusts. Your gettables sir.
Yes, I understand what he meant. But, a fake word spoken to, in fact written in print, would give me pause as to the qualifications of the SA.
I think, regadless of the word play our TRF brother was treated horribly.

Old 28 September 2020, 10:54 AM   #108
mkruger311
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
It's all in who you are at this point. A local friend of mine has gotten now two hard to get sports watches from the same AD in the past three months (jubilee Batman and now a 41mm Sub Date).
mkruger311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:57 AM   #109
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Yes, I understand what he meant. But, a fake word spoken to, in fact written in print, would give me pause as to the qualifications of the SA.
I think, regadless of the word play our TRF brother was treated horribly.
Absolutely. Disgusting attitude. I just missed it the first time. ..I had a boss once that used to make his own words up.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 11:23 AM   #110
newton982
"TRF" Member

If you really like it, buy one mint/near-mint used. I don't think it will be too much a premium over msrp and probably well worth the time you'll save in searching. Unless you like the search process, which is also completely understandable.

Quote:

I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on whether the above is true? Or are they just politely telling me to move on?

Thank you.
newton982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 11:34 AM   #111
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I just don't get the "hoop jumping" to buy a product that's a want, not a need. Must be my age.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 12:02 PM   #112
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Anyone that uses the made-up word 'gettable' is obviously a moron.
Apparently 'Gettable' is a word in the English Oxford Dictionary.
It means attainable.

He might be a moron, but he'd beat you at Scrabble.
Old 28 September 2020, 12:07 PM   #113
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Hello all,

My story is far from unique, but I'd appreciate any advice. I'm UK based.

I've been dreaming about my first Rolex for many years, however I've only recently been fortunate enough to have the funds available to begin my collection. Similar to so many others, I have desired a Submariner for so long and I would really like this to be my first Rolex. I am under no illusion that I can walk into an AD and walk out with a Submariner, however I didn't expect it to be this bad.

My nearest AD has a reputation for being rude and very unwelcoming to new customers. I went in to enquire but was told in no uncertain terms that I couldn't even enter the store without an appointment, and that it was unlikely I would be able to get any model other than what was in the window (the usual selection of two tone DJs). They also informed me that, in the almost zero chance I managed to get a Sub, they would keep the warranty card for one year (not a problem) and I would have to sign a contract prohibiting me from selling the watch for at least three years. It really wasn't a comfortable experience and I decided to travel a bit further to visit another AD.

The next AD couldn't have been more helpful at first. They welcomed me into the showroom and engaged in a friendly conversation about the models I was interested in etc. We had the initial conversation about how the professional models are very in demand / hard to get etc. With that in mind they started showing me some DJ36 models, which they said can still be ordered on demand. The DJ36 is a lovely, lovely watch (especially with the fluted bezel / silver dial) and I'll admit that I did fall for it even though I had my heart set on the Sub.

I took some time to think it over, and just when I thought I was ready to order a DJ36 I realised that I still really want the Sub to be my first Rolex. By this point I had been to the AD numerous times and had some very long conversations about non-watch related topics, so I like to think that we had a good relationship (well, as good as a relationship can be without any financial reward).

I sent a very long, heartfelt email outlining my feeling for the DJ36, explaining that as much as I loved it I would like to be added to the Submariner waiting list. I made it clear that I was willing to wait and that I would like them to have my business. I said that I would like to add the DJ36 to my collection at some point in the future but that I always wanted my first Rolex to be a Sub. I was feeling pretty good about my chances of at least being granted admission to the waiting list.

The reply was a swift, harsh blow to that optimism.

'The wait for a submariner is so long that it has been closed for a long time. It is currently over 6-7 years. We will not be able to start taking expression of interest for another 2 years. You can get added to the expression of interest for the green dial LV only but it will be about 4 years as we only receive 4 pieces per year. I would advise that you invest in a more gettable model for now.'

I have taken the reply to mean that I am simply not important enough to be considered for a Submariner. I was also very surprised that they aren't taking expression of interest in any LN subs, only the LV? Surely the LV demand is higher than LN?

Thank you.

Time to go grey and enjoy your sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 September 2020, 03:51 PM   #114
draganb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Incorrect. Many many people are buying these watches right now because they are hard to get and can we flipped for a profit. If Rolex started to overproduce watches, we would go back to five or so years ago when these watches sat in AD cases and had to be sold at huge discounts from an AD.

Lol...Datejusts are one of the top selling watches that Rolex makes.

Producing too many watches is never what any luxury brand wants to do.
I politely disagree with you.
Rolex could easily make 2x the amount of subs and daytonas and sell them out before hitting the shelves.
But instead they produce this weird configurations of DJs that sit on the shelf forever (and yes, I know DJ is a top seller, but only certain combos)
Imagine walking into a Porsche dealership and it was chock full of neon pink 911s with gold rims and green interiors, but you had to wait 2 years to get a black one. Would you think that's a smart business move?
At the end of the day, Rolex is losing money on the models sitting on the shelves and forfeiting profits from the people who can't get the watches they want so they move on to grey or other brands.
The only ones profiting from this are the flippers.
On a total sidenote, 99% of the people who aren't familiar with the rolex range and walk by an AD window, think Rolex sells the ugliest watches in existance (because those are the ones sitting in the windows)
draganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:13 PM   #115
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
Got a Panerai 1389. Problem solved. Rolex has the worst customer experience.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 07:56 PM   #116
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Got a Panerai 1389. Problem solved. Rolex has the worst customer experience.
Patek has the worst customer experience, unless you're very famous or very rich - they prefer both.
Old 29 September 2020, 02:34 AM   #117
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Apparently 'Gettable' is a word in the English Oxford Dictionary.
It means attainable.

He might be a moron, but he'd beat you at Scrabble.
Haha! Thanks, I honestly didn't know that!
With common slang these days like 'forshizel' and 'whatev', I'm getting out of touch.

Seriously, thanks.
Mark

Old 29 September 2020, 03:11 AM   #118
RogerOP
Banned

Sounds like my experience trying to talk to a SA at Watches of Switzerland, couldn’t even get into the door.

I ended up buying a DJ41 Rhodium with fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet and OP41 Silver/Gold. Both watches I specifically wanted, rather than some silly bundle.

I’m the anti-thesis to most people on this board and I don’t like the Rolex sports models, although a Batman may take my fancy in a few years time. I also think the Submariner isn’t as attractive as to the BB58 OG

OP hit my DM, I’ll see what my contact at the AD will do, as he pulled a rabbit out the hat for my DJ41
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 04:36 AM   #119
HK852GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganb View Post
On a total sidenote, 99% of the people who aren't familiar with the rolex range and walk by an AD window, think Rolex sells the ugliest watches in existance (because those are the ones sitting in the windows)
BINGO. This was my exact thought three and a bit years ago when i was looking for my first ‘proper’ watch. Rolex were ugly, Breitling were a bit teenage jazz-mag, so i went with an Omega moonwatch. Loved it right up until i saw a 16710(LN) on the wrist of the guy next to me at a dinner. My head was turned immediately. I’m still not a huge fan of the 6-digit models, but the window displays really do let the whole brand down - garish, chintzy, TOWIE/Jersey Shore wrist bling.
HK852GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 05:01 AM   #120
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Go grey or pre-owned... you won't get a steel sub without a purchase history, having the cash is simply not enough.

I'll tell you one thing, this Rolex bubble won't last forever as it will do more damage to the brand than good...
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote