The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 April 2020, 09:42 PM   #1
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
6466: What was the target Audience?

What was the design purpose of these when they were produced? Were they considered a true ladies watch or sold as simply a midsize? Always wondered.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Would've been a midsize I think. But this is a moot point unless you're using the watch to recreate a 1950s costume - we're seventy years on now, men don't wear watches that size nowadays, anyone seeing you wearing it and knowing contemporary watches that size are marketed only to women would reasonably assume you are for reasons known only to yourself wearing a ladies' watch.

It's a nice watch. It is too small for you to wear. My recommendation is don't buy it for personal use.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 10:55 PM   #3
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Would've been a midsize I think. But this is a moot point unless you're using the watch to recreate a 1950s costume - we're seventy years on now, men don't wear watches that size nowadays, anyone seeing you wearing it and knowing contemporary watches that size are marketed only to women would reasonably assume you are for reasons known only to yourself wearing a ladies' watch.

It's a nice watch. It is too small for you to wear. My recommendation is don't buy it for personal use.
I mean I think that it’s a matter of taste if someone wants to wear a 30mm watch, especially a vintage one. Hell, sometimes I wear a 1940s watch which happens to be 30mm and no-one bats an eyelid.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 01:28 AM   #4
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
I mean I think that it’s a matter of taste if someone wants to wear a 30mm watch, especially a vintage one. Hell, sometimes I wear a 1940s watch which happens to be 30mm and no-one bats an eyelid.
Sure, buy what you like, taste is subjective and who's to judge. Sub-34mm watches nowadays can be had for bargain prices, great! Make sure you're totally comfortable wearing it in every situation you'll find yourself in, though, before you spend your money.

If you inherit and then wear an undersized watch, when people ask you why, you can say, "Great-granddad wore this at the Somme, this ding here is from the Hun". But if you seek out and purchase and wear an undersized watch, one that is essentially identical to many other available acceptably-sized watches, if someone says, "Hey why'd you buy the 31mm, looks small on you why didn't you get the 34 or 36 version instead", what's the answer?

You don't have to wear clothes that fit, either, David Byrne and Pharrell Williams and certain world leaders pull off their look. Most normal people don't dress like them though. I just don't see what's so special about this watch to make it the preferred choice when there are SO MANY others out there that would fit better.

Gosh business is slow during all this COVID eh fellas
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 01:41 AM   #5
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Sure, buy what you like, taste is subjective and who's to judge. Sub-34mm watches nowadays can be had for bargain prices, great! Make sure you're totally comfortable wearing it in every situation you'll find yourself in, though, before you spend your money.

If you inherit and then wear an undersized watch, when people ask you why, you can say, "Great-granddad wore this at the Somme, this ding here is from the Hun". But if you seek out and purchase and wear an undersized watch, one that is essentially identical to many other available acceptably-sized watches, if someone says, "Hey why'd you buy the 31mm, looks small on you why didn't you get the 34 or 36 version instead", what's the answer?

You don't have to wear clothes that fit, either, David Byrne and Pharrell Williams and certain world leaders pull off their look. Most normal people don't dress like them though. I just don't see what's so special about this watch to make it the preferred choice when there are SO MANY others out there that would fit better.

Gosh business is slow during all this COVID eh fellas
I have a 30mm Lemania chrono, which is a beautiful piece, but being that its gold and nearing 80 years old, I hardly wear it unless its a dressy occasion. I like that size, but I do have to say that when I look at it on the rare occasion I wear it I have found myself thinking "man that thing is small." I think why it sorta works is its pretty thick in how its sits on the wrist because of the chrono movement. I did some searching of how the 6466 looks on the wrist, specifically men with wrists similar to the size of mine, and I must admit, it just didn't look right. Looked too small, and that's coming from someone who generally enjoys smaller vintage watches.

Ive made the decision to go with a good condition(preferably a full set) 6694 when I find one. I gotta say I am very happy with how my 34mm Air King looks on the wrist, so definitely no worries about whether a 34mm would work. Amazing what a difference only a few millimeters can make in how something looks and wears.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote