The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2021, 01:52 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Aquanaut Clasp Idea

Hey all!

I’m a relatively recent owner of a 5167 aquanaut! It might just be honeymoon fever but it’s quickly become one of, if not my favorite watch!

That said, no micro adjustment on the clasp is a huge problem for me. Obviously some type of on the fly adjustment would be amazing (I.e. rolex EZ link, etc), but realistically speaking in the near future I have a really simple idea to improve the sizing versatility of the existing clasp.

Now ME coming up with an idea for Patek here on TRF may as well be a fart in the wind but still if anyone’s listening, please consider this!

Basic idea is to extend the length of the clasp equivalent to one notch of the rubber strap. That would essentially give the option to loosen and tighten the strap on both sides, achieving the perfect fit.

I know for me going into the summer (here in NY) I will probably need to buy new straps. This would save us the time, energy and money to size and purchase additional pieces.

Below is a photoshop mock up of my idea. I didn’t have a chance to create the underside but this should give you a good idea.

The foot print and actual mechanism of the clasp wouldn’t have to change at all btw! Just the part that actually connects the rubber and spring bars to the clasp.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 02:03 AM   #2
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Interesting, after I went through the annoyance of going to Stern to get my strap cut and sized on the 5164 I've never really had an issue
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 02:11 AM   #3
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Interesting, after I went through the annoyance of going to Stern to get my strap cut and sized on the 5164 I've never really had an issue
I see you're in Jersey so we deal with the same weather changes through out there year. That said, everyone is different so I don't know if your wrist swells like mine does in the summer. Currently I'm wearing my aquanaut daily loose, but I still anticipate it being way too tight come july. If the clasp had an extra pin hole, I could just pop it out a little looser for the summer (either one side or both sides) and be done.

I'll keep dreaming lol.
Old 20 March 2021, 03:34 AM   #4
JerBear
"TRF" Member

I like the idea, and I agree, this watch is amazing! Mine is fitting perfectly right now so I'm curious how it will fit in the New Orleans summer.
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 04:10 AM   #5
raclaims
"TRF" Member

My wrist def swells but it's not been an issue at all...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 11:14 PM   #6
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

That would be awesome if it had one, I love the ez link
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 04:59 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
A nice idea and retains the attractiveness of the strap, but I find that if I cut the rubber strap to be just a bit loose in the winter, the rubber surface keeps it from slipping - and when my wrist swells a bit in the summer, it’s no problem.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2021, 05:28 AM   #8
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Hey all!

I’m a relatively recent owner of a 5167 aquanaut! It might just be honeymoon fever but it’s quickly become one of, if not my favorite watch!

That said, no micro adjustment on the clasp is a huge problem for me. Obviously some type of on the fly adjustment would be amazing (I.e. rolex EZ link, etc), but realistically speaking in the near future I have a really simple idea to improve the sizing versatility of the existing clasp.

Now ME coming up with an idea for Patek here on TRF may as well be a fart in the wind but still if anyone’s listening, please consider this!

Basic idea is to extend the length of the clasp equivalent to one notch of the rubber strap. That would essentially give the option to loosen and tighten the strap on both sides, achieving the perfect fit.

I know for me going into the summer (here in NY) I will probably need to buy new straps. This would save us the time, energy and money to size and purchase additional pieces.

Below is a photoshop mock up of my idea. I didn’t have a chance to create the underside but this should give you a good idea.

The foot print and actual mechanism of the clasp wouldn’t have to change at all btw! Just the part that actually connects the rubber and spring bars to the clasp.
BEFORE:

AFTER:

With all respect for your idea, please look how unbalanced is your clasp photoshop compared to the original one
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 02:24 PM   #9
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

They could implement a system similar to the Vacheron Overseas. Wouldn't kill them.
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 05:56 AM   #10
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I know what you mean- we are in the same area - I ended up buying a second strap, cut one notch larger.. I think if they just had one microadjustment hole on either side it would solve the problem !

5167 is def my favorite patek... I enjoy wearing it more than my 5712. Also enjoy it more than my CB , Lange one, and any Rolex I own. For my lifestyle and attire it just fits really well. Perfect dial and lug-to-lug size fits my wrist wel, and with the 8mm thinness it feels perfectly proportioned. It is so Comfortable and fits so well I often forget I have a watch on until I look down ans am Just mesmerized by the dial- the sunray finish of the patterned black dial, the way the applied lumed numbers and hands reflect the light crisply, the different finishes and angles of the case... for me , near perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:46 AM   #11
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

OP, I know what u mean now, all they have to do is extend the clasp one notch and we would be able to set the band in and out with a simple toothpick.
Sorry about the mark up, I’m just doing this on my iPad.

The extended clasp would be the yellow lines and the blue line would be the new spring bar location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71EA21B3-A862-4F4A-9A49-BF0FBD47372C.jpeg (96.6 KB, 204 views)
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 04:45 AM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

I'm just catching up on this! Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrngrz46 View Post
With all respect for your idea, please look how unbalanced is your clasp photoshop compared to the original one
Thanks, yeah it was a quick photoshop and I'm not a pro. So the sides aren't perfectly even, but obviously patek could make it perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlahBlah View Post
They could implement a system similar to the Vacheron Overseas. Wouldn't kill them.
The VC bracelets seem incredible (never owned one). But I think it includes plenty of half links, and on the fly micro adjustments on both sides of the clasp. Amazing stuff! Would love to see patek figure something like that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I know what you mean- we are in the same area - I ended up buying a second strap, cut one notch larger.. I think if they just had one microadjustment hole on either side it would solve the problem !

5167 is def my favorite patek... I enjoy wearing it more than my 5712. Also enjoy it more than my CB , Lange one, and any Rolex I own. For my lifestyle and attire it just fits really well. Perfect dial and lug-to-lug size fits my wrist wel, and with the 8mm thinness it feels perfectly proportioned. It is so Comfortable and fits so well I often forget I have a watch on until I look down ans am Just mesmerized by the dial- the sunray finish of the patterned black dial, the way the applied lumed numbers and hands reflect the light crisply, the different finishes and angles of the case... for me , near perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can't seem to take mine off! I did exactly the same thing. I'm still wearing my short strap, but hopefully the way the weather is looking here in NY it won't be long before I swap for the extra notch strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexEDC View Post
OP, I know what u mean now, all they have to do is extend the clasp one notch and we would be able to set the band in and out with a simple toothpick.
Sorry about the mark up, I’m just doing this on my iPad.

The extended clasp would be the yellow lines and the blue line would be the new spring bar location.
Thanks for this. I didn't have a chance to mock up the underside, but this exactly what I had in mind.