The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2020, 04:26 PM   #31
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
Not one cent over retail.
For some people their time and energy are worth more than money
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 04:56 PM   #32
Ageing Orphan
"TRF" Member

£9K for a 114060? OUCH !! but, it's your money to do what you want with. Enjoy your new watch
Ageing Orphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 05:39 PM   #33
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Enjoy its a cracking watch.

On another note I cant believe how crazy the SS sports market is now. I picked up my Sub in 2015 for £4,500.00 (£500.00 under retail). What exactly has happened in 5 years? Its bonkers
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:04 PM   #34
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageing Orphan View Post
£9K for a 114060? OUCH !! but, it's your money to do what you want with. Enjoy your new watch
You should see the date version.....black subs are crazy money just now
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:04 PM   #35
Gavaldo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharpe View Post
Enjoy its a cracking watch.

On another note I cant believe how crazy the SS sports market is now. I picked up my Sub in 2015 for £4,500.00 (£500.00 under retail). What exactly has happened in 5 years? Its bonkers
Similar story here..I walked into an AD who was a very impolite person so I went to another and had my pick of Sub, Sub-Date, GMT and lots of DJ's. Opted for 114060 for about £5250ish and since then they've sky rocketed?!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Gavaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:05 PM   #36
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Of course not. They retail for much less.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 06:23 PM   #37
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavaldo View Post
Similar story here..I walked into an AD who was a very impolite person so I went to another and had my pick of Sub, Sub-Date, GMT and lots of DJ's. Opted for 114060 for about £5250ish and since then they've sky rocketed?!

Its crazy. SS sports models were readily in the AD's windows back then. Is it really just the popularity which has pushed the market to where it is today?
Old 12 August 2020, 06:31 PM   #38
Gavaldo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its crazy. SS sports models were readily in the AD's windows back then. Is it really just the popularity which has pushed the market to where it is today?
I think the marketing has been en trend throughout the last 5 years. Rolex are front & centre at every major sporting event nowadays and everyone is wearing one! Maybe even overkill

Gavaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:13 PM   #39
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavaldo View Post
I think the marketing has been en trend throughout the last 5 years. Rolex are front & centre at every major sporting event nowadays and everyone is wearing one! Maybe even overkill

You're spot on. Younger generation see's them as a 'bling' status symbol too. Loads of reference to Rolex in grime/rap music.

Just a shame that watch enthusiast's can't get hold of the pieces they want. It is putting me a little off the brand.
Old 12 August 2020, 10:41 PM   #40
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're spot on. Younger generation see's them as a 'bling' status symbol too. Loads of reference to Rolex in grime/rap music.

Just a shame that watch enthusiast's can't get hold of the pieces they want. It is putting me a little off the brand.
The problem is that (in my view at least) there's a huge gap in the market where Rolex sits in terms of robust, usable sports type watches in or around the $8k to $10k mark (retail).

On the diver level I don't see anything that competes with the Sub. Obviously there are the Omega options which are great, however I already own two Omegas and at the moment don't want any more.

Tudor does nothing for me. The Glashutte does nothing for me. Likewise the JLC Polaris. The Fifty Fathoms is way too big (and the smaller sizes Ltd Ed and too expensive).

I'm currently on waiting lists for both the Date and no-date. I would take either in a heartbeat and cancel the other order but if there were any genuine alternatives I would strongly consider them. At some point though I know I'll get fed up and just pay over the odds for one.

Of course, the alternative is also to look at 5 digit but for similar money a 6 digit is the one to go for I think.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:42 PM   #41
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
If that is around $10,500 US dollars, that is about right. I have seen 1k lower, but was an older model. Keep in mind the value is going to go up once the movement is updated and this version is discontinued, so I think that is driving the prices up right now.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:29 AM   #42
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
The problem is that (in my view at least) there's a huge gap in the market where Rolex sits in terms of robust, usable sports type watches in or around the $8k to $10k mark (retail).

On the diver level I don't see anything that competes with the Sub. Obviously there are the Omega options which are great, however I already own two Omegas and at the moment don't want any more.

Tudor does nothing for me. The Glashutte does nothing for me. Likewise the JLC Polaris. The Fifty Fathoms is way too big (and the smaller sizes Ltd Ed and too expensive).

I'm currently on waiting lists for both the Date and no-date. I would take either in a heartbeat and cancel the other order but if there were any genuine alternatives I would strongly consider them. At some point though I know I'll get fed up and just pay over the odds for one.

Of course, the alternative is also to look at 5 digit but for similar money a 6 digit is the one to go for I think.
The 5/6 digit sub debate can be quite polarising. For me its the 114060 all the way. Just on the Glide Lock.

Omega are great, but if you have them already then I can see your dilemma when it comes to a good SS divers watch. For me, nothing competes with a Sub at normal AD RRP pricing. However, if I turned the clock back to 2015 and was presented with the current grey market prices and lack of Ad availability, I may of looked at the Omega.

Hopefully a Sub or Sub Date will arrive shortly for you.