The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 29 May 2019, 09:05 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Gray Sellers

I know there has been quite a few threads about gray sellers lately. And some have issues with their role in the market.

I would like to point out how they are ultimately anther cog in the wheel, and that they are providing a valuable and needed service. The reality is that gray sellers are not making this market. They are simply selling their products at the market driven prices. To blame them is similar to blaming the gas station when the price of oil goes up.

Additionally, they are the only ones that appear to have many of the watches that people want. They get them, of course, by buying them for market value. Are some watches purchased by grays via AD's. Sure. But I have to imagine the majority are being purchased via end users and either sold new, or worn and then sold.

The gray dealers are giving us a market when we want to move watches, which brings me to my specific point of this topic.

I just did a deal with Thanh Do (Takuya). As always, dealing with him is flawless. His support and communication are great, his pricing is fair, and he is just a really nice guy.

I feel compelled to write this because of our latest deal. As some of you might know, I consolidated my collection recently. I literally texted Thanh Do the details. That was it. Within minutes I had back the necessary information. I did not even negotiate or haggle. I felt his numbers were fair.

I actually deal with a guy in NY from time to time, and I reached out to him for a different reason (he's fixing a watch I bought from him for my wife). I figured, I might as well ask him what he would pay for the watches. He low-balled me by a large number. I told him I had to pass because of the offer already on the table. He called me back 15 minutes later coming much closer. I said, "that makes no sense for me". It is still a few thousand dollars. I did admit that I would have felt better driving to drop them off and pick up a check, but that I have dealt with Thanh Do many times, and I had no concerns about security. So I passed again. Five minutes later he calls back and meets the offer.

Needless to say, I stuck with Thanh Do. He has always been good to me, and he came in with a fair number, for both of us, the first time. He did not play games.

So the next day I send out the watches. These watches are literally more than I made the first 5 years of my professional career combined. I have never even spoken to Thanh Do. It has always been via text. And I trust him this much. I can't stress that point enough, how crazy is this.... I sent him an enormous value of watches and I have never even spoken to him. Crazy.

Of course, Murphy's Law, and the box with the most expensive item in it gets lost for a hot minute. But Thanh Do had paid me once everything shipped, even before he received. And then the box was lost????? Did I worry? You bet your ass I worried. Only for a second though.

Thanh Do communicated throughout. Explained that it was all his responsibility. That it was his job and that he would own it. This is part of the service of the gray seller after all. But damn, he actually did it. He actually lived up to it. When it mattered most, he was the quintessential professional and put me at ease.

So while this is a big shout out to Thanh Do, this is also a testament to the service that gray sellers provide. He just so happens to be one of the best in the business.

But gray sellers lay out a lot of cash to have their stock. They sell at market pricing. They take on the risk of loss. They deal with a ridiculous amount of tire kickers and deal hunters. And they take a lot of the trash talk.

I for one an grateful for them. I have done a lot of deals with TRF sellers and I have not had one truly bad experience. While I have found Thanh Do to be truly exceptional on all levels, everyone I have dealt with has been good.

Sorry for the long post. Just a little bit of sunshine that I think these guys deserve. I for one am grateful.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:48 AM   #2
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Gray Sellers

Thanh is awesome, love that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post

Agreed. Will probably be the only person I buy watches from for now on
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 10:11 AM   #4
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
So, you made me go to Takuya's website. He's got a GV Z Milgauss & a Serti-dial 16613. If I only had $16k to sneeze away...
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 10:11 AM   #5
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Chips View Post
Agreed. Will probably be the only person I buy watches from for now on
Yeah. He truly does go above and beyond.

It’s always flawless.

Old 29 May 2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I have to disagree with your assessment. The grey sellers are offering a glorified shopping service these days. They aren’t marketing goods as much as they are doing your shopping for you, then charging a service fee as a percentage of the value. Your NY guy is more reflective of the actual market than your shopping service is.

Thanh is a great guy. I’ve worked with him in the past. No dig on him or his business. But his inventory could be had at significantly lower price if people spent the time shopping for it. Some people are more willing to invest the coin than the time, which keeps grey sellers in business.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:20 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I have to disagree with your assessment. The grey sellers are offering a glorified shopping service these days. They aren’t marketing goods as much as they are doing your shopping for you, then charging a service fee as a percentage of the value. Your NY guy is more reflective of the actual market than your shopping service is.

Thanh is a great guy. I’ve worked with him in the past. No dig on him or his business. But his inventory could be had at significantly lower price if people spent the time shopping for it. Some people are more willing to invest the coin than the time, which keeps grey sellers in business.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one, my friend.

With the amount of time this TRF community spends searching for watches and deals, you think the gray dealers are simply better shoppers?

I can’t possibly agree with that.

Old 29 May 2019, 11:24 AM   #8
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Another shout out to Thanh from my end (buying side). Just picked up a gorgeous 15707ce off him last week - couldn't be happier with how the transaction went.
Old 29 May 2019, 11:50 AM   #9
martinr
"TRF" Member

I sold Thanh a watch last year. His for sale price was 15% more then he paid me and the watch sat on his website for almost nine months and probably sold for quite a bit less than his asking price.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 12:17 PM   #10
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I have bought several from David (DSW) and really would not consider buying from an AD unless they had what I wanted, when I wanted and at the price I was ready to pay (given market conditions).

Honestly, the service I have received form David far exceeded that I have had from most retail jewelers. Some have been downright rude to me.

These grey dealers provide a service that we all want. Don’t blame them for market forces.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 12:29 PM   #11
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Great story Seth and kudos to Thanh for being so honourable about the deal. There is a reason why he is a TRF trusted seller and so successful at what he does.

I've yet to do a deal with him, but appreciate how reasonable, no nonsense and a man of his word he is. I would have no hesitation in dealing with him.

The TRF trusted sellers play an important role in the TRF community and make it easy for TRF members to buy, sell and trade watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I know there has been quite a few threads about gray sellers lately. And some have issues with their role in the market.

I would like to point out how they are ultimately anther cog in the wheel, and that they are providing a valuable and needed service. The reality is that gray sellers are not making this market. They are simply selling their products at the market driven prices. To blame them is similar to blaming the gas station when the price of oil goes up.

Additionally, they are the only ones that appear to have many of the watches that people want. They get them, of course, by buying them for market value. Are some watches purchased by grays via AD's. Sure. But I have to imagine the majority are being purchased via end users and either sold new, or worn and then sold.

The gray dealers are giving us a market when we want to move watches, which brings me to my specific point of this topic.

I just did a deal with Thanh Do (Takuya). As always, dealing with him is flawless. His support and communication are great, his pricing is fair, and he is just a really nice guy.

I feel compelled to write this because of our latest deal. As some of you might know, I consolidated my collection recently. I literally texted Thanh Do the details. That was it. Within minutes I had back the necessary information. I did not even negotiate or haggle. I felt his numbers were fair.

I actually deal with a guy in NY from time to time, and I reached out to him for a different reason (he's fixing a watch I bought from him for my wife). I figured, I might as well ask him what he would pay for the watches. He low-balled me by a large number. I told him I had to pass because of the offer already on the table. He called me back 15 minutes later coming much closer. I said, "that makes no sense for me". It is still a few thousand dollars. I did admit that I would have felt better driving to drop them off and pick up a check, but that I have dealt with Thanh Do many times, and I had no concerns about security. So I passed again. Five minutes later he calls back and meets the offer.

Needless to say, I stuck with Thanh Do. He has always been good to me, and he came in with a fair number, for both of us, the first time. He did not play games.

So the next day I send out the watches. These watches are literally more than I made the first 5 years of my professional career combined. I have never even spoken to Thanh Do. It has always been via text. And I trust him this much. I can't stress that point enough, how crazy is this.... I sent him an enormous value of watches and I have never even spoken to him. Crazy.

Of course, Murphy's Law, and the box with the most expensive item in it gets lost for a hot minute. But Thanh Do had paid me once everything shipped, even before he received. And then the box was lost????? Did I worry? You bet your ass I worried. Only for a second though.

Thanh Do communicated throughout. Explained that it was all his responsibility. That it was his job and that he would own it. This is part of the service of the gray seller after all. But damn, he actually did it. He actually lived up to it. When it mattered most, he was the quintessential professional and put me at ease.

So while this is a big shout out to Thanh Do, this is also a testament to the service that gray sellers provide. He just so happens to be one of the best in the business.

But gray sellers lay out a lot of cash to have their stock. They sell at market pricing. They take on the risk of loss. They deal with a ridiculous amount of tire kickers and deal hunters. And they take a lot of the trash talk.

I for one an grateful for them. I have done a lot of deals with TRF sellers and I have not had one truly bad experience. While I have found Thanh Do to be truly exceptional on all levels, everyone I have dealt with has been good.

Sorry for the long post. Just a little bit of sunshine that I think these guys deserve. I for one am grateful.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 12:47 PM   #12
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, having watches lost must have been a nightmare.

I don’t have nearly the TS experience you do, but when I’m negotiating on something, I’m just like you. The person who gives me the good price gets the deal, not the one who reluctantly matches it. Always.
Old 29 May 2019, 01:00 PM   #13
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Great story and it sounds like you found an awesome deal with a very trustworthy seller! My only peeve is when they pick up some of the sales here that I'm watching and turn around and list a few days later with a markup. One reseller has done that three times in as many months with listings I didn't jump on soon enough. But he is also a good dude so I don't hold it against him.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 02:12 PM   #14
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
I have dealt with Thanh, and with David for almost 10 years. Never a problem with either.

Doing a big deal with David now and will put up an incoming later.

My complaint is small (you actually know about it), my only wish is for them to post sold when they actually sell the watch, tried to buy one from two sellers, and both had sold it (again, Seth, you actually bought it from one of them darn you).

In the grand scheme of things, that’s pretty small...

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 04:29 PM   #15
walds11
"TRF" Member

Great story Seth!

Shouldn’t this be in the Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?! section? Are we allowed to promote grey dealers (or any seller for that matter) on this thread?
Old 29 May 2019, 04:37 PM   #16
Andad

Watch: A few.
You sold a watch.
You sent it to the buyer.
The watch was lost in the post for a hot minute.
The buyer covered the loss.
Did I miss something?
Was this watch found?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:33 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I appreciate this post as a lot of times it seems that people get frustrated with pricing and availability of certain watches and the sellers take the brunt of it. The market drives the prices. I think the Trusted Sellers help to balance the market, not hurt it. Either get the watch through an AD or pay market price. It is that simple.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote