The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 April 2020, 11:55 PM   #1
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Breitling 2020 New Models

Wow. I’m in love with the Chronomat. Very solid showing.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 12:22 AM   #2
Wkdsid
"TRF" Member

The brand is just crushing it. New chronomat is prettier than RO offshore.

Superocean 1957 amazing too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wkdsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 12:25 AM   #3
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Wow. I’m in love with the Chronomat. Very solid showing.
I'm sorry, I just don't share your enthusiasm. It is obvious that Georges has been reaching out to a new, younger, and "cooler" clientele than what was previously's Breitling's bread and butter. I can deal with the re-issue of the 57 Superocean, but I prefer my Superocean XL more. The rainbow edition is hideous in my opinion. I laugh that certain individuals are speaking out in favor of it when years ago they harpooned Teddy Schnieder whenever he released a colorful watch.

The new chronomat is nice but I don't see myself rushing out to buy one new. The 35 mm Navitimer is only a reduction in size. Does not appeal to me at all and my wife doesn't really wear anything smaller than 38 mm. I won't be purchasing any of the watches new, they will be readily available pre-owned in short order at a greatly reduced price. Georges main concern is pumping out as many watches as possible. He has little concern for those whose consider value retention and is only interested in the bottom line of Breitling, S.A.

My watch fund will now be directed towards watches that hold their value better and/or those with a little bit more of sophistication. I for one have not drank the "Cool Aid"!
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:35 AM   #4
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
I quite liked the 57 Superoceans especially the rainbow limited edition (prefer if it wasn't limited). Some color is fun and it is not designed to be (or at least it doesn't present as) a serious watch imo. If I'm being honest with myself I don't need another just for fun watch with color but if I was in the market I'd look at the rainbow from the secondary market.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:35 AM   #5
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
I'm sorry, I just don't share your enthusiasm.

My watch fund will now be directed towards watches that hold their value better and/or those with a little bit more of sophistication. I for one have not drank the "Cool Aid"!
“Hold their value better”

Sorry you feel that way, I think there are a lot of great brands, including Omega being overlooked due to the “investment” mentality.

I try not to think about the $$$ when I look at watches. YMMV.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:23 AM   #6
konkaniman
"TRF" Member

Would love to see them move toward in house movements across their line. So much of their competition is moving toward the 5 year warranty, which Breitling only offers on their in house movements; Breitling has to do 5 years to earn my business.
konkaniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 04:02 AM   #7
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the Chronomat. I don't think it's horrible, but I'd make some slight changes to it with the bezel, pushers, crown, and put it on the pilot bracelet. I was fine with the 44mm size but I would just hope that moving down to 42, the dial doesn't seem too cluttered. The 41mm Chronomat always seemed too small so I'm not sure how the 42mm case will be.

The SO57 isn't that bad. It's not something I'd buy and I'm not sure I understand the rainbow dial. Thankfully there are only 250 of them. All the photo of this watch are also on a woman so I'm not sure if they're aiming this watch at women.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 05:18 AM   #8
IR201
"TRF" Member

Love the look of the new chronomat but why does every chronograph other than the daytona have to be so damn thick?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 06:03 AM   #9
ct79
"TRF" Member

For some time I have been giving Breitling a chance to earn my money. I am constantly revisiting their website. For instance I would buy a no nonsense diver, monochromatic, no numerals, can be also ETA powered, but it needs a ceramic bezel and a screw down crown. Everything between 39 and 42mm wide and up to 13mm thick I would consider. Now Breitling failed again in that respect this year. The 57 superocean has 100m of water resistance and no screw down crown. Every TagHeuer Aquaracer offers more bang for buck and is a lot cheaper. And if I stay in Breitling's pricing segment, a Tudor Pelagos reigns untouched and no other company wants to enter the competition. Not even Omega with the Seamaster Diver 300 in my opinion, even though it comes awfully close.
ct79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 06:50 AM   #10
JesseBertone
"TRF" Member

I love their watches but it seems as of lately their direction seems all over the place. Some of the SOH models are just plain weird.
JesseBertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 06:59 AM   #11
Wkdsid
"TRF" Member

[mention]ct79 [/mention] regarding your diver search, what about the Breitling Superocean Heritage II 42mm. Ticks all your boxes?

Old 17 April 2020, 07:01 AM   #12
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

The rainbow SuperOcean is awesome.
Old 17 April 2020, 12:43 PM   #13
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct79 View Post
For some time I have been giving Breitling a chance to earn my money. I am constantly revisiting their website. For instance I would buy a no nonsense diver, monochromatic, no numerals, can be also ETA powered, but it needs a ceramic bezel and a screw down crown. Everything between 39 and 42mm wide and up to 13mm thick I would consider. Now Breitling failed again in that respect this year. The 57 superocean has 100m of water resistance and no screw down crown. Every TagHeuer Aquaracer offers more bang for buck and is a lot cheaper. And if I stay in Breitling's pricing segment, a Tudor Pelagos reigns untouched and no other company wants to enter the competition. Not even Omega with the Seamaster Diver 300 in my opinion, even though it comes awfully close.

Do you really need more than 100m water resistance? If you do I get it but if the only water your watch sees is the shower, pool, and lake or ocean swim then I don’t get it. You could go 23 stories of a building below water and be okay.......

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 12:58 PM   #14
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
The rainbow SuperOcean is awesome.
You better move quick then, by all the reports being made available it already has sold out in many markets.
Old 17 April 2020, 07:17 PM   #15
ct79
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkdsid View Post
[mention]ct79 [/mention] regarding your diver search, what about the Breitling Superocean Heritage II 42mm. Ticks all your boxes?

I was looking at that model for some time, indeed. I have a Pelagos and from a wearing perspective would be fine with the dimensions of the Breitling, which are very similar. But then I look at bang for buck and think, no. That water resistance rating would allow for a much slimmer watch, which improves wearability a lot. What I say is, if I compromise and wear a thicker watch, then I want thick watch specs as well.

And about the water resistance in a previous post. I think 200m gives a lot more security than 100m, especially when you factor in pressure peaks due to sudden movements in the water combined with an overall better robustness of the watch itself. I once had a 100m Rolex pressure tested and it was down to 50m. Now I just assume, correct me if I am wrong, water resistance is reduced gradually at first over the lifespan of a watch. So I just have more buffer until I choose to change the gaskets.

I think Breitling has all the means to produce a watch I would like and for a price I would pay. But so far I am hesitant to buy even though I like the brand.
ct79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 11:04 PM   #16
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You better move quick then, by all the reports being made available it already has sold out in many markets.
I had secured one prior to posting!
Old 17 April 2020, 11:08 PM   #17
Wkdsid
"TRF" Member

The new chronomat is spectacular, harkens back to 80s design while staying modern and reasonably sized at 42mm. Can’t speak highly enough about the tapered rouleaux bracelet.

57 Superocean is also priced very well at 4.8k, this will generate a lot of sales I imagine. Looks nearly identical to the 1957 original release. Lack of Tudor in house not a big deal since this watch is still 1) still swimmable at 100m 2) only 9.99m thick!! Blancpain barakuda and seamaster diver 300m all ~13.5

A wonderful day for Breitling

Old 17 April 2020, 11:24 PM   #18
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
I had secured one prior to posting!
Congratulations, Not my favorite, but please post a picture when you receive it!
Old 17 April 2020, 11:50 PM   #19
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

I love the new releases. About to order two right now.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 12:51 AM   #20
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations, Not my favorite, but please post a picture when you receive it!
It will be my first Breitling. Appreciate it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but with only 250 it doesn’t need to be and shouldn’t take toooooo much of a spanking if it doesn’t work for me.
Old 18 April 2020, 02:43 AM   #21
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I've not bought Breitling for a while but first reaction is I really like (in pics at least) the new Chronomat, which looks great on the Rouleaux bracelet. Its interesting they've used a very similar clasp closure to AP, which is a superb and very comfortable design, and for me will be an asset to the Chronomat. Looking forward to seeing them in the metal at a store when possible.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 04:56 AM   #22
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Love the look of the new chronomat but why does every chronograph other than the daytona have to be so damn thick?
I love the look of the Premier chrono Breitling released last year. I was at an AD here in town and as I was trying on that very watch I simply said "thickness can be an issue for me." The salesman proceeded to talk down to me almost as if I was child, insinuating that it's simply not possible to make a thinner chrono. I chuckled internally.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 05:45 AM   #23
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

I do love that chronomat. Really looks good, but the bracelet is a dealbreaker. Would have to buy a whole new bracelet to put on as a replacement.
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 12:41 AM   #24
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
I wonder if the Chronomat Rouleaux bracelet will be available separately?
Old 19 April 2020, 02:43 AM   #25
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Agreed, truly impressed with the new Chronomat. I wasn’t a fan of the pre-Kern modern versions, too blingy for me.

The first post-Kern was alright but this is something else! I like the proportion and size (42mm).

Particularly pleased with the Blackeye Blue, Panda and reverse Panda. I think they nailed these. The TT ad RG look good too.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2020, 10:35 AM   #26
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Agreed, truly impressed with the new Chronomat. I wasn’t a fan of the pre-Kern modern versions, too blingy for me.

The first post-Kern was alright but this is something else! I like the proportion and size (42mm).

Particularly pleased with the Blackeye Blue, Panda and reverse Panda. I think they nailed these. The TT ad RG look good too.

I actually really love these. The RG TT with the slate dial is really attractive too.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 08:39 AM   #27
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I actually really love these. The RG TT with the slate dial is really attractive too.
Astonishing!
ub0134101b1u1-chronomat-b01-42-soldier_1.jpgub0134101b1u1-chronomat-b01-42-three-quarter.jpg
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 05:36 PM   #28
ADIGA
"TRF" Member

The best part is the return of the Rouleaux. Rouleaux all the way. The big B is alive.
ADIGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2020, 07:39 AM   #29
Wkdsid
"TRF" Member

The new chronomat is amazing -- i honestly like it more than royal oak.

also the superocean 57 is great. screw-down is overrated, 100m water resistance is fine for 99%, and the thinness is due to the smart decision of not going with the b01 which would have added 3-4 mm of thickness.
Old 26 April 2020, 12:06 AM   #30
skuba
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
I can't find price detail about it. Did anyone know about the new chronomat prices ?
skuba is offline   Reply With Quote