The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2021, 04:11 AM   #181
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Good news! First, the 1118 has been delayed until (probably at least) February here in the USA. So the really good news is i called Panerai USA and they said their press relations will get back to me about the new Gen 2 9020 movement.

Am sure many of us expected Panerai to have already done this by now, yet no worries as i'll personally see to it as soon as they send me the info / pics / data. :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:37 AM   #182
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Interesting. So is Panerai renaming the movement to 9020? Also cannot wait to hear if there is some advantage to this movement over the 9010, and if so, in what regard? A 70 year warranty is a long time. My feeling is that it is related to that warranty period but we will see.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:42 AM   #183
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradriver View Post
I went to the details for the 9000 movement, and changed the 9000 to 9010 in the URL and found the page. This has a brief description and pic up top, the video below, and more description below that (which removed indication of hacking seconds).

I need a few more posts before I can post a link, so sorry I can't post the link, but just go to their automatic movements page, select the 9000 and then modify the URL as I mentioned above.

Also, google search for 9010 (specifying Panerai's web site) also finds the info page, but for other countries outside US, so I think they are just in the middle of updating things.

BTW, the video on the 9010 page (scroll down) is very cool, although at the 0:44 second mark it shows the hack mechanism stop the movement, and the movement appears to have the usual brushed finish. Hopefully they'll update that to remove the hack section and show the new finish.
is this the link you're referring to?
https://www.panerai.com/en/fragments...deo/p9010.html
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #184
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
Interesting. So is Panerai renaming the movement to 9020? Also cannot wait to hear if there is some advantage to this movement over the 9010, and if so, in what regard? A 70 year warranty is a long time. My feeling is that it is related to that warranty period but we will see.
Baaaaaad typo, I meant Gen 2 9010 as we have no new name or anything just yet. Am still waiting for a call from Panerai and they have my email addy to send pics.

If I was a designer, offering a long warranty would mean designing a movement that requires less servicing. So reducing the use of oils / lubricants is one of the items that would need to be addressed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 26 January 2021, 02:42 PM   #185
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

The link I referred to is different with more info

The link I referred to does show the video you include below, but it has more info.

It is the regular details page for the 9010 movement, but it looks like it is not updated, and it is not linked from the page with the list of the automatic movements (the others have links to their respective details pages).

Sorry I can't post it, I need to post a few more replies before I am allowed to post links (even pieces of links, apparently). I can't even include your entire message in this reply, since it has a link!

To get to it, select “Know How” and on the right select “in house movements”, then select “Discover” next to automatic movements, and select the 9000 movement to get to its details page. Then replace 9000 with 9010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
is this the link you're referring to?
cobradriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 02:50 PM   #186
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

I noticed 438 tuttonero now has solid back instead of display

I checked other watches on Panerai's site that have the 9010, and it looks like the 438 tuttonero now has a solid back (and no more power reserve indicator, since that was on the back of the movement).

When they contact you, if you have chance, can you as them about the solid back and lack of power reserve on the 438 (and maybe if they have changed all 9010 based watches to solid back?)

There are still a few watches shown with 9010 and display back, but you have to contact concierge to purchase (there's no “add to bag” link): 1523, 1351, 1359. Perhaps those are also going to be changed (as someone else mentioned, the 1312 back is now solid, a change that came with the recent update to change from fauxtina to green lume).

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Good news! First, the 1118 has been delayed until (probably at least) February here in the USA. So the really good news is i called Panerai USA and they said their press relations will get back to me about the new Gen 2 9020 movement.

Am sure many of us expected Panerai to have already done this by now, yet no worries as i'll personally see to it as soon as they send me the info / pics / data. :)
Old 27 January 2021, 12:09 AM   #187
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I checked other watches on Panerai's site that have the 9010, and it looks like the 438 tuttonero now has a solid back (and no more power reserve indicator, since that was on the back of the movement).

When they contact you, if you have chance, can you as them about the solid back and lack of power reserve on the 438 (and maybe if they have changed all 9010 based watches to solid back?)

There are still a few watches shown with 9010 and display back, but you have to contact the concierge to purchase (there's no “add to bag” link): 1523, 1351, 1359. Perhaps those are also going to be changed (as someone else mentioned, the 1312 back is now solid, a change that came with the recent update to change from fauxtina to green lume).

Thanks,

Great eye and MANY thanks as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated. Sure thing, will ask them.

Am hoping they call today, as each day Panerai delays is being noted and it's already been a few months it seems since they installed production models with their new Gen 2 9010, and now a few weeks since we all found out the movement swap without notifying purchasers of the change.

Old 27 January 2021, 03:38 AM   #188
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I am still dumb founded they are selling the 1662 on there website showing it has the quick strap change system and its not. Sorta upsetting i almost pulled the trigger but now with movement change plus finding out its a screw strap change I am up in the air.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:12 AM   #189
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I am still dumb founded they are selling the 1662 on there website showing it has the quick strap change system and its not. Sorta upsetting i almost pulled the trigger but now with movement change plus finding out its a screw strap change I am up in the air.

FWIW I prefer screws. One less thing to go wrong, and traditional. Movement-gate is another story that needs addressed. I know for a fact Panerai is getting an earful. I hope for an explanation soon.

all_in_the_pamily
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:40 AM   #190
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

There are still a few watches shown with 9010 and display back, but you have to contact concierge to purchase (there's no “add to bag” link): 1523, 1351, 1359. Perhaps those are also going to be changed (as someone else mentioned, the 1312 back is now solid, a change that came with the recent update to change from fauxtina to green lume).

Thanks,
at this point I'd be willing to bet they aren't planning on putting transparent casebacks on any P.9010 movements going forward.

this whole thing is such an embarrassment.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:48 AM   #191
arnage
"TRF" Member

Solid vs transparent casebacks -- is this more about cost, or about achieving thinness?..
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 11:54 AM   #192
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
Solid vs transparent casebacks -- is this more about cost, or about achieving thinness?..

in this case I think it’s about not showing people the movement they’ve decided to stop finishing and reduce the functionality of to cut costs.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 01:07 PM   #193
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Still no call back from Panerai.

Tomorrow is another day.

Old 27 January 2021, 03:03 PM   #194
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
This is crazy.
Old 27 January 2021, 03:41 PM   #195
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Still no call back from Panerai.

Tomorrow is another day.
they wont.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 10:03 PM   #196
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
in this case I think it’s about not showing people the movement they’ve decided to stop finishing and reduce the functionality of to cut costs.

Sadly, I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 11:48 PM   #197
walds11
"TRF" Member

panerai.com is down for maintenance

Sorry, our website is temporarily under maintenance.

It will be available shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Old 28 January 2021, 03:04 AM   #198
arnage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
panerai.com is down for maintenance

Sorry, our website is temporarily under maintenance.

It will be available shortly. Thank you for your patience.
it seems accessible now - in particular, the 1120 and 1121 are now visible. wasnt sure if they were previously announced on the site. (i.e. the fibratech and gold versions of the Nery 1122).
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 05:48 AM   #199
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Tha website is hacking.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 05:59 AM   #200
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it seems accessible now - in particular, the 1120 and 1121 are now visible. wasnt sure if they were previously announced on the site. (i.e. the fibratech and gold versions of the Nery 1122).
Yah, it was down for just a short period of time.
Old 28 January 2021, 06:52 AM   #201
martintyler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Notice the 1121 (goldtech) is pictured with a display caseback!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, my 1122 has hacking seconds.
martintyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 06:57 AM   #202
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

Where do you see the 1120/1121 on the Panerai site?

(Edited - I had asked where to find the watches, but I was able to decipher the code - seems the site still has glitches).

I initially tried using the Panerai site's search function for 1120, 1121, 1122 but no dice. Then I found them in the Collections page for Luminor (at the top), although selecting them went to error pages at first.

Now (a while later) the 1120 and 1121 have links from their view in the collection page to their individual product pages, but the 1122 is not selectable (you can modify the link for the 1120 to get to it - remove the fibratech from the link and change 1120 to 1122).

Although the watches show a price in the Collections page, their individual page links don't show a price or have an order/contact link.

Looks like the site might be actively updating...

Quote:

Last edited by cobradriver; 28 January 2021 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Removed question to find watches, I found the links
Old 28 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #203
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Checked last night...my 1661 has a functioning hacking seconds 9010 movement
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 10:33 AM   #204
djyolky
Banned

Again gentlemen, it's been confirmed that P.9010 hacking function was removed from models that were produced from June or July 2020 (can't remember which month) and onward. Consider yourself lucky if you have a P.9010 with hacking seconds and a display caseback.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #205
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Well, 2 weeks after starting movement-gate I get my watch back from the Service Center with no change/adjustments. But I did get a cool carrying case. LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 05:26 PM   #206
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

To update this; I received my watch back from Dallas in exactly 3 weeks although they quoted me 6 weeks. It is keeping perfect time again. And it is still hacking. I called them to ask what the issue was and she told me the hairspring was not functioning properly. I do not understand mechanics of watches very well, but I know my Lepsi app was saying the watch was magnetized prior to sending in and now the app is saying "no magnetism". Perhaps the hairspring was magnetized?

Anyway, I am just happy to have the watch back and Panerai service is top notch.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 11:11 PM   #207
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great to hear Waterman2, and yes Panerai service is excellent. Their USA service has always been wonderful!

It is a bit disheartening that corporate is not as responsive and forthcoming, yet we'll all know more about the Gen 2 9010 soon enough :)

Old 7 February 2021, 07:38 AM   #208
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

I wonder if the darker (non brushed) parts of the plate on the fleur de lis movement in the Luminor 1950 Firenze 3 Days Acciaio (972) are using the sandblasted finish mentioned in the first post. Thus, the back of the new 9010s might look like that (not the fleur de lis pattern of course, but the darker gray indented parts of the plates).

There's movement shots for that watch on the internet, but I need ten posts before I can post links, so I'll reply to this with a couple links showing that.
Old 7 February 2021, 07:39 AM   #209
cobradriver
"TRF" Member

Movement shots of the 972 fleur de lis

Here's some photos of the movement in the 972

https://www.gmtpost.com/post/panerai...ures-and-price

https://watchesbysjx.com/2018/10/pan...ze-pam972.html

Quote:
I wonder if the darker (non brushed) parts of the plate on the fleur de lis movement in the Luminor 1950 Firenze 3 Days Acciaio (972) are using the sandblasted finish mentioned in the first post. Thus, the back of the new 9010s might look like that (not the fleur de lis pattern of course, but the darker gray indented parts of the plates).

There's movement shots for that watch on the internet, but I need ten posts before I can post links, so I'll reply to this with a couple links showing that.
Old 3 April 2021, 11:08 PM   #210
pvdjunior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
Have any of the posters on this thread heard any more from panerai explaining the movement change?

Thanks,
Peter
pvdjunior is offline   Reply With Quote