The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to narrow
I Sold My 2021 3861 Speedy Hesalite Already!

Long story short, I picked up a new 3861 Speedy from the Omega Boutique last weekend and already had it listed for sale 4 days later. I'd like to share my rationale for doing this with you all to help you with your decision on whether or not to pick one up.

As someone who already had purchased a brand new 1861 005 hesalite in November, I was already still just getting that new watch worn in before the opportunity to buy the 3861 was brought to me. Having already owned 6 Speedy's prior to the 3861, I was very familiar with the fit of the watch on my wrist and what worked well for me and what did not. For me, when purchasing a watch, there are a few important factors I think about as part of my decision making process:

1.) Aesthetics - do I like the way the watch looks
2.) Fitment/Comfort - how well does the watch fit on my 6.75" wrist and how comfortable does it feel?
3.) Accuracy - as a higher dollar purchase, I am expecting a certain threshold of accuracy based on that price(Seiko vs. Rolex)
4.) Brand Equity - where the brand ranks in the market and the price point associated with that rank

I have been flipping watches for well over a decade now because there was always a deviation up or down on the above 4 factors. As my income grew over the years, so did my budget for high end timepieces. I will tell you guys now that I already own the Rolex 116500LN white Daytona and 126710BLRO GMT-Master Pepsi. These two pieces definitely hit a top score in all 4 areas above. Now, if I apply those factors to the 3861, here were my thoughts:

1.) Aesthetics - Loved the improved stepped dial look, and the new bracelet. However, I did not like the clasp as much or the fact that there is a notched taper on the last link due to the consistent width of the clasp and the bracelet links:

This is only an issue if your perfect fit means putting the watch on the last micro adjustment.

2.) Fitment/Comfort - I definitely had an issue getting a perfect fit with the 3861 due to the lack of additional micro adjustments. Had Omega provided 3 drilled holes, it would have been better. The other issue I had is the rounded bracelet links. Because the inner portion of the bracelet shares the same bumpy rounded shape as the outer, at times it would pinch my skin. What you will notice with other bracelets is that they will flatten the inner portion of the bracelet in order to allow it to wrap around the wrist seamlessly.

Now lets compare this to my Rolex President so you can understand what I mean as far as the flat inner and rounded outer shape of the links:

This is something Omega should have done with this bracelet. The other problem I had is the taper was a bit too aggressive. With a 15mm clasp taper and a 42mm watch head, there was enough of an imbalance with the watch being either too loose or too tight that the head would shift when it was loose and almost pinch my wrist with those rounded links. A more balanced watch to bracelet ratio would have prevented this.

3.) Accuracy - So my 1861 has been very consistent around +5 seconds per day. The 3861 appears to average from +3-4 seconds a day. Still good, but with the METAS certification I was expecting a little better than what I had. And to me, the hacking feature of the movement really was less of a selling feature due to the fact that the accuracy wasn't a bit more precise. Again, I know not all of you are accuracy junkies, but I am. The upgrade to me wasn't netting me the type of accuracy I get from my Rolexes which is about +1 a day consistently. The other issue is with a hand wind movement, there is so much variability that can still occur with the accuracy such as when you wind the watch, how you rest it, etc. Bottom line is, the METAS certification seemed more like marketing to me but the performance results weren't anything mind blowing.

4.) Brand Equity - So I paid shy of $7K for the 3861 and $4300 for my 1861 both brand new. Both watches I think are still within the value I would associate with the brand. If Omega was asking $9-10K for this watch, I'd be more in pre-owned Rolex territory so I did not have an issue with the price. However, if I am comparing $4300 to $7K, paying over 50% more than my 1861 for similar accuracy, less comfort, and moderate aesthetic upgrades, it just didn't make as much sense for me to keep the 3861.

It didn't take long for me to sell the 3861 and I did take a bath on the price I paid because I don't believe in price gouging, but overall I am happy I had the opportunity to try the watch, and also to share my review of it with all of you. I want to use my learning experience to help all of you as much as possible. The 3861 is still a beautiful watch and I think still worth Omega's asking price. However, I think you guys who own a 1861 should wait until market prices simmer as stock becomes more readily available. I already confirmed the new bracelet fits on the 1861 in another one of my threads so if you really love the bracelet that much, you can pick it up down the line.

Spikedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:00 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

That clasp is a huge mistake IMO. Bracelet and clasp are a very important part of the watch to me and this one is embarrassing.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:02 AM   #3
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Agreed and with a DD in the garage it’s tough to settle

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:07 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thank you for the thorough review of your wearing experience.

From what I’ve read the new bracelet gets good reviews and has been compared to the President bracelet in terms of comfort ... clearly it’s wearer dependent.

I agree the clasp needs work
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:08 AM   #5
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Thanks for the honest review and feedback. I hadn't noticed the stepped final link before, and agree that it doesn't look that great. It's beyond me why Omega didn't include the adjustable bracelet from one of their other watches in this one. I also do not like the back of this new clasp.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:29 AM   #6
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thank you for the thorough review of your wearing experience.

From what I’ve read the new bracelet gets good reviews and has been compared to the President bracelet in terms of comfort ... clearly it’s wearer dependent.

I agree the clasp needs work
I get it's a classic watch and a grail for many, but I wouldn't even consider a DD because of that bracelet and clasp as well. Now a modern watch in SS without an adjustable clasp is beyond my comprehension my friend. They had what, a year, two years to plan and design this watch and this is what we get. You cant even mod this one apparently. I wonder if people who work there actually get paid to do their job.
Old 15 January 2021, 07:30 AM   #7
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
What bracelet do you have on your 1861?
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:31 AM   #8
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Thank you for your honesty.

I must admit my #1 concern is that a Speedmaster won't fit properly. I just don't understand why Omega doesn't use a micro adjustable clasp. That's why I'm hoping to get the Snoopy-3. I won't have to worry about a 2 hole adjustment clasp.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:40 AM   #9
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Well, nothing can we worse on bracelet fitment than this one :-)

Old 15 January 2021, 07:45 AM   #10
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post
What bracelet do you have on your 1861?
Apollo 11 50th Anniversary bracelet.
Old 15 January 2021, 07:52 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I get it's a classic watch and a grail for many, but I wouldn't even consider a DD because of that bracelet and clasp as well. Now a modern watch in SS without an adjustable clasp is beyond my comprehension my friend. They had what, a year, two years to plan and design this watch and this is what we get. You cant even mod this one apparently. I wonder if people who work there actually get paid to do their job.
I think the DD bracelet and clasp are very comfortable, in fact maybe the most comfortable in the Rolex line up, YMMV.

The lack of adjustability is the only reason I don’t own one

Back to The Omega, I agree the clasp seems amiss I agree. You can see above the difference in the shape of the underside of the bracket links on the Omega ... so for the OP it clearly doesn’t wear as well as his DD.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 07:59 AM   #12
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I agree with you about the taper. Way too much. Should've been down to 16mm at most maybe even 17
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:07 AM   #13
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Back to The Omega, I agree the clasp seems amiss I agree. You can see above the difference in the shape of the underside of the bracket links on the Omega ... so for the OP it clearly doesn’t wear as well as his DD.
True buddy. I said that clasp sucked on day 1. Even had to deal with an unpleasant member here and his poor attempt to offend me. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Now on day 2 the OP sells the watch and people realize the clasp is a mess. Interesting.
Old 15 January 2021, 08:17 AM   #14
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your thoughts as I ponder which I would ultimately choose. I mentioned in another thread that I tried on the 1861 yesterday (at my AD, not an OB), but I did not have the opportunity to try the 3186.

As noted, it's awfully tempting to pick up an 1861 for $1000 less, PLUS discount, but I cannot stand the bracelet and clasp of the 1861. I saw your thread about fitting the new bracelet to the 1861, but all things considered the whole new watch wouldn't be much more for the whole package.

Now all that being said, I have @logo to thank for pointing out that the older dial seems less busy, even though technically it's more cluttered with 4 vs 2 hashes between the seconds indices. I can't wrap my head around it, but even though the new dial is clearer on the 3861, the older dial seems more legible to tell the time. It's almost as if all those hashes blur the outer edge of the dial making it even easier to read. Does that make sense?

Bonus that the 1861 would come with the Omega NATO. I could care less about all the other case candy, but that NATO I would actually use.

Tough decision. I guess I really need to see the 3186 in person, and I called the OB today, but they don't have any currently. They will call me when one is in. I hope it won't be to late for the 1861 at my AD if that's the route I decide.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 04:11 PM   #15
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

OP sorry you left it go BUT huge thanks for being the first one on the forums to give us such detailed report on new one vs old and especially the bracelet.

It is what it is and I feel you as I will keep my 1861 and probably if step (pun intended) in for the new I will go with sapphire just to have them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:09 PM   #16
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I have to say, if you wear that watch on the outermost hole that looks terrible. I don’t know what they were thinking.

As for the rest of it, looks ok in my book. The clasp is similar to that on the moonshine gold Apollo 11 and I like the fact it tapers - gives the watch a more vintage look. Putting an adjustable clasp would have made it too bulky and gone away from the look they were going for I guess. I appreciate that’s a killer for some, but they’ve sold millions of the old moon watches with no adjustable clasp so can only think they didn’t see it as a huge problem and have gone with aesthetics over function in this case (awful last link aside). That said, there’s plenty of space for 4 or 5 adjustment holes so lord knows why they haven’t done that.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:18 PM   #17
Andad

Watch: A few.
So you didn’t like it?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:24 PM   #18
aff1
Banned

Thanks for this review OP. The bracelet been comfortable is one very important factor considered and I would take the same decision as you.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:39 PM   #19
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I am surprised to read that the bracelet was pinching the skin. I am sure this means it will pinch hairs, too. That is a deal-breaker.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 08:18 PM   #20
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I'm sorry to hear that things haven't worked out as you had hoped.

I do want to say though that I have found your threads very helpful so thanks for starting them.

I bought a new, now discontinued, hesalite Speedmaster just before Christmas and I have been thinking about it and comparing it to the photos and info you have posted. I know that lots of people on here are far more knowledgeable and enthusiastic Omega fans than I am, so no doubt others will disagree with what I think, but my observations on the new watch are as follows.

1 Lots of people appear to see the new stepped dial as an improvement and a nod to the older type of dials in the earlier watches. I have no problem with the 'flat' dial in my watch. I think I actually prefer the layout of the text on the dial of the older version in it's pyramid form. As gnuyork has said above, there's something about the older dial which just works fine for me.

2 The profile of the case is different. Again I think I prefer the older case shape. Looking at it from the side the case appears thiner and the lugs appear less bulky to me.

3 Unlike some on here, I have no problems with the bracelet on the older watch, in fact I quite like it. I also like the design of the new versions and I am looking forward to seeing them in the metal. There have been some comments about the shape / profile of the links in the new bracelet. I believe that Omega used to use a basically similar bracelet on older versions of the watch years ago. Can anyone tell me how do the links on that version compare to those in the new version?

4 I'm not sure about the new clasp at all. Again I suspect that it's a nod to the past. I really dislike the stepped last link, I think it looks odd and out of place when the bracelet is extended. Again lots of people complain about the lack of micro adjustments. I think it's unfortunate that there is not more available, but I don't see this as a major problem when wearing my watch. Perhaps the air temperature in the UK helps with this as there is usually not a great change in outside temps here.

5 As far as the new movement is concerned, I don't see any real problems with the old version. The hands go around quite accurately, what more do I need! I also think that this sort of keeps the now very tenuous 'Moon watch' link in place. I don't think that the new watch with it's new movement, case and bracelet has any real link to the name other than it being the latest generation of the watch which is associated to the name.

To sum up I would say the following.

I certainly do not regret buying my older version of the watch and I can not see me changing it for a new version.

I would like to see the new bracelet and, at this time, I do not totally rule out buying one to try on my watch.

I know that lots of people want the 'latest thing' and I can understand them wanting the new version, but I have no regrets buying my older version. I have to say that the thought has gone through my mind to buy another new old version, put a display back on it and wear it on a leather strap. I quite like the idea of this. We'll see.

Last edited by ratty; 15 January 2021 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Adding.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:44 PM   #21
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Thank you for a thoughtful and informative review. I am on hold right now and will see the new models in person before I decide if I will purchase one. The clasp is a big issue for me and fit on a watch is extremely important to me. I get the hype associated with new products and I sometimes get caught up in it myself but time tells me to wait.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 09:44 PM   #22
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
In my haste to reply I totally forgot that there is a compromise: Buy it on the nylon strap. Granted, it's not a solution for those who insist on having an Omega SS bracelet. But it would definitely work for me.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...5001001?tmod=1
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:33 PM   #23
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Thank you for sharing your reviews and insightful observations. I enjoyed reading your posts and analysis about your recent experiences.

I purchased a hesalite 1861 on an OEM alligator strap directly from Omega a week before it was discontinued. The rumors of a big change to the model pushed me to make the purchase before it was too late. I wanted the real Moonwatch not the “upgraded” version. As a Rolex collector this was a significant change for me. I could not be happier with my purchase and it fits in well with my Rolex.

Based on your earlier posts, I’ve order the new bracelet from Omega and look forward to putting it on my 1861 as an option for warmer months. I actually like the tapered bracelet which gives it a more vintage vibe. Much appreciate again you sharing your observations.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 11:38 PM   #24
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedlee View Post

Lots of horror stories about that bracelet. Maybe they should have made that a limited edition.
Old 16 January 2021, 01:19 AM   #25
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Great review and good to know those things.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:33 AM   #26
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Lines on clasp are horrible..deal breaker
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:43 AM   #27
cbondanz
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD40
Thanks for the honest and candid feedback. Your insights, with accompanying pictures to support your opinions is very helpful and refreshing....getting tired off all the “what’s my watch worth” or “why are there no Rolexes available at my AD” post.

And great collection, BTW.
cbondanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:30 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Lol, this was absolute junk and a major fail for smaller wrist size. That mesh was unwearable to me. Watch long gone
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 04:49 AM   #29
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:

That's exactly why I sold mine!!!! Thank goodness I got a hefty discount on it from my AD so that I didn't have to lose any $$$$$$!!!!
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:35 AM   #30
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
That's exactly why I sold mine!!!! Thank goodness I got a hefty discount on it from my AD so that I didn't have to lose any $$$$$$!!!!
You would think that for the inflated price Omega charged for the watch they would have anticipated that and maybe had two different sizes.

And frankly, I think the NATO version is just hideous looking.