The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2021, 11:35 AM   #31
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
That clasp is a huge mistake IMO. Bracelet and clasp are a very important part of the watch to me and this one is embarrassing.
The clasp is embarrassing. I was seriously considering this watch but that clasp is horrible smh

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:14 PM   #32
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I Sold My 2021 3861 Speedy Hesalite Already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
The clasp is embarrassing. I was seriously considering this watch but that clasp is horrible smh

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Agree that’s uggly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 05:07 PM   #33
watchcognition
2024 Pledge Member

Great insights. Thank you. I too have the Apollo 11 bracelet on my 1861 and it’s perfection (but sizing it was/is a nightmare).
watchcognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:02 AM   #34
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Thanks for taking the time for the write-up, it was helpful and makes me even more content with my decision of ordering a 1681 Speedy yesterday, arrived today so waiting to get into.

The new clasp also doesn't have any micro adjustments which I think people were expecting..? Unless I missed it.

Regards,
M
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:45 AM   #35
bctimekeeper59
Banned

Wonderful insight, thank you!
bctimekeeper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 04:59 AM   #36
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedlee View Post
Apollo 11 50th Anniversary bracelet.
Did it fit the 1861 case easily? Or was some modding/filing of the endlinks required?
Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:00 AM   #37
Teetime71
"TRF" Member

Watch: me nae nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcognition View Post
Great insights. Thank you. I too have the Apollo 11 bracelet on my 1861 and it’s perfection (but sizing it was/is a nightmare).

Did this require modding/filing down the endlinks to get it to marry to the 1861 case?
Teetime71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:07 AM   #38
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Interesting points. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Old 24 January 2021, 06:59 AM   #39
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
That clasp is a huge mistake IMO. Bracelet and clasp are a very important part of the watch to me and this one is embarrassing.
I totally agree with you. The clasp is a complete disaster.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:37 AM   #40
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Can someone explain why the clasp is such an epic fail?

Is it the exposed link? Wish for more micro adjustment?

If so, yes, it’s not perfect, but it looks good, it’s thin, it’s secure.

Personally, I think it looks better than any Rolex clasp. Well, when the little half link isn’t showing. ;-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:41 AM   #41
watchcognition
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime71 View Post
Did this require modding/filing down the endlinks to get it to marry to the 1861 case?

Not at all. Just need smaller springbars.
Old 24 January 2021, 10:01 AM   #42
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not at all. Just need smaller springbars.
Interesting. Would you be able to post some photos showing the lug fit and the alignment against the underside of the case?
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 09:26 PM   #43
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
This review is helpful. Thanks for sharing.

It seems like the new bracelet will need to be sized carefully. My sense is I would wear it loosely enough to prevent the need to let the clasp out a notch in hot weather. I'm okay with wearing a watch that loosely if that's what it takes.

A thought for possible resolution of bracelet/clasp concerns: If the new bracelet fits the old case, then perhaps the old bracelet will fit the new case.

Just a thought.

I, personally, will keep my 2015 Speedmaster Professional. If/when the new model begins trading at "normal" pre-owned Omega prices, then I'll purchase the new model. Maybe I'll keep both, or maybe I'll keep just one of them, but I'll feel more comfortable deciding this way. My current watch runs and operates beautifully, and I'm reluctant to let it go.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:23 AM   #44
watchcognition
2024 Pledge Member

I Sold My 2021 3861 Speedy Hesalite Already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Interesting. Would you be able to post some photos showing the lug fit and the alignment against the underside of the case?

I’ll try to do that. The alignment on the underside isn’t perfect, but it works.

Meanwhile what I have handy...

Old 25 January 2021, 02:35 AM   #45
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll try to do that. The alignment on the underside isn’t perfect, but it works.

Meanwhile what I have handy...

Looks wonderful, thank you for sharing! Alignment on the back looks like it protrudes a bit, but not much. I would suspect that due to the more prominent case back you aren’t really likely to even notice the bracelet alignment on the back side? I enjoy the standard issue bracelet on the 1861, but those Apollo 11 bracelets are certainly tempting me....
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:49 AM   #46
watchcognition
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Looks wonderful, thank you for sharing! Alignment on the back looks like it protrudes a bit, but not much. I would suspect that due to the more prominent case back you aren’t really likely to even notice the bracelet alignment on the back side? I enjoy the standard issue bracelet on the 1861, but those Apollo 11 bracelets are certainly tempting me....
You've got it exactly right. Small protrusion near the casebook but not noticeable in any way during wear. After tinkering with a number of aftermarket bracelets, I wouldn't hesitate to get this one. It tapers beautifully, the clasp looks and feels great, wears very comfortable, and readily available from Omega (perhaps the best part for those of us used to Rolex's shenanigans). If you purchase from a boutique, I recommend having them size it for you. I've sized a lot of bracelets, but this one took me a minute to get good at (ultra tiny screws--think AP--, pins that have to set in just right, etc.).
Old 25 January 2021, 06:37 AM   #47
disco stu
"TRF" Member

Don’t wish to hijack this informative thread but what micro-adjustments are available on the Apollo 11 clasp?
disco stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:24 AM   #48
watchcognition
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
Don’t wish to hijack this informative thread but what micro-adjustments are available on the Apollo 11 clasp?

Just what you see on the side of the clasp in my pic. 2 holes.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:02 AM   #49
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Really great insights on this new version. Thank you for sharing.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:35 PM   #50
disco stu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just what you see on the side of the clasp in my pic. 2 holes.
Ok thanks for that, appreciated. Your bracelet sure looks great.
disco stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:57 AM   #51
colpol
"TRF" Member

Thanks for taking time to put the pictures & post together

Much appreciated
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 03:08 AM   #52
Bugsy
"TRF" Member

thank you for the well balanced review. I was about to dive in but, will now wait. or consider strap. I am in market for first chronology and was torn between moonwatch and el primero. ironically the new chronometer sport was just released but, I am getting off topic.

thanks again all very insightful.
Old 26 January 2021, 04:24 AM   #53
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Good thorough review, like the ones you've done previously. The watch itself I couldn't care less about, it more or less looks the same (to me and 99% of population). The bracelet on the other hand, I was interested because it looks great and looked more comfortable than my 1861 bracelet. Definitely disappointing to find out about the lack of micro adjust, which was probably the biggest complaint of the previous bracelet. I had to order a SMP 6-way adjustable clasp just to get it to fit but not a big fan of how bulky it is.

Like you said, I don't think many 1861 owners are in a rush to "upgrade". I'm definitely in the boat of happy campers that got in just before the door shut.
Old 2 February 2021, 09:41 AM   #54
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Can someone explain why the clasp is such an epic fail?

Is it the exposed link? Wish for more micro adjustment?

If so, yes, it’s not perfect, but it looks good, it’s thin, it’s secure.

Personally, I think it looks better than any Rolex clasp. Well, when the little half link isn’t showing. ;-)
I agree. I have had the 3861 for a few days now and loving it. My wrist size is 6.5" and I think they needed to take 5 links out of the bracelet. It fits me perfectly, I don't see the need for on the fly adjustment, and yes, it's quite an aggressive taper, but I happen to like the clasp very much. It's flush with the bracelet and not bulky at all.

The bracelet is extremely comfortable in my opinion and I don't have any pinching or the watch head shifting around like the OP experienced.

The 1mm shorter lug length, the slimmer case, the tapered bracelet and the non protruding end links are all worth it to me over the 1861, the dial changes I can take or leave, but the printing is very crisp. The (arguably) better movement is a bonus.

I'm not trying to contradict what the OP experienced, but just wanted to give my perspective, we all have different wrists and watches wear differently.

Full disclosure: this is only me 2nd watch with a bracelet and I have no experience with Rolex yet (patiently waiting) other than trying them on.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 01:47 AM   #55
grievor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I agree. I have had the 3861 for a few days now and loving it. My wrist size is 6.5" and I think they needed to take 5 links out of the bracelet. It fits me perfectly, I don't see the need for on the fly adjustment, and yes, it's quite an aggressive taper, but I happen to like the clasp very much. It's flush with the bracelet and not bulky at all.

The bracelet is extremely comfortable in my opinion and I don't have any pinching or the watch head shifting around like the OP experienced.

The 1mm shorter lug length, the slimmer case, the tapered bracelet and the non protruding end links are all worth it to me over the 1861, the dial changes I can take or leave, but the printing is very crisp. The (arguably) better movement is a bonus.

I'm not trying to contradict what the OP experienced, but just wanted to give my perspective, we all have different wrists and watches wear differently.

Full disclosure: this is only me 2nd watch with a bracelet and I have no experience with Rolex yet (patiently waiting) other than trying them on.
Any issues with sharp edges on the case causing discomfort?
grievor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2021, 10:15 AM   #56
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grievor View Post
Any issues with sharp edges on the case causing discomfort?
None for me.
Old 14 February 2021, 10:45 PM   #57
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
And to think I picked up my mint full set 3570 in 2010 for $1700. Prices are insane.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 12:55 AM   #58
Greglaw
Banned

I have the new one, just received a couple of weeks ago. I have had one vintage from ‘68 and a couple of modern iterations. The so called “embarrassing” clasp is anything but. The bracelet is incredibly comfortable, even more than a jubilee, and in person the clasp looks excellent. A micro adjustment would be nice, as my wrist is one that swells and shrinks depending on the weather, what I eat, workouts, etc, but, for the armchair quarterbacks, you should see it in person and wear it for awhile. It is hands down the most comfortable watch I have ever owned, and they subtle changes, ie. all brushed bracelet-as I have the hesalite version-looks amazing, the step sub-dials, and overall look make it essentially a near perfect version of the moonwatch.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 01:24 AM   #59
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
I have the new one, just received a couple of weeks ago. I have had one vintage from ‘68 and a couple of modern iterations. The so called “embarrassing” clasp is anything but. The bracelet is incredibly comfortable, even more than a jubilee, and in person the clasp looks excellent. A micro adjustment would be nice, as my wrist is one that swells and shrinks depending on the weather, what I eat, workouts, etc, but, for the armchair quarterbacks, you should see it in person and wear it for awhile. It is hands down the most comfortable watch I have ever owned, and they subtle changes, ie. all brushed bracelet-as I have the hesalite version-looks amazing, the step sub-dials, and overall look make it essentially a near perfect version of the moonwatch.
I agree with you 100% The new bracelet is very comfortable. And I know it's polarizing but I love the clasp too.
Old 15 February 2021, 11:22 AM   #60
Freq18Hz
"TRF" Member

OP,

Comparing your 1861 to the 3861, how did you find the case? In comparing both side by side I notice that the 3861 case and lugs seem very sharp in comparison, with very acute edges. Same thing for the bracelet.

Best,

-Freq
Freq18Hz is offline   Reply With Quote