The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 November 2018, 04:50 AM   #1
simplymod
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 MKIII Sub
Tudor Sub - Spots on Dial Question

I recently picked up this Tudor 75090 Sub. To the naked eye under normal wearing, its looks awesome. However under a loop or close inspection with the correct angle of light I have noticed two small spots on the dial. I think they are touch ups but just wanted to get some opinions. The dial is a nice matte and these spots have a gloss to them. Do you all think they are touch ups or possibly bubbling coming from within? Hands do have some corrosion, but rest of dial is really nice.

I love the watch, but will return it if the value is greatly affected by this. If it were you, would would you keep it or would you rather hold out for another example?

Thanks so so very much in advance for your opinions.

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2470 (1).jpg
simplymod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 05:00 AM   #2
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Depends on price paid and how bad it bothers you. My preference would have been to buy a different example, but if you got it for a song I would be fine with it. You could always send it in to get service replacements or source a period correct original dial.
Spoonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 05:36 AM   #3
simplymod
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the reply. Yeah. I don’t want to change the dial as the tritium patina is just too nice in person. On the wrist the spots are invisible for the most part (takes a close pic or loup like shown in order to see) and really looks great on the wrist but at the same time knowing the spots are there bothers a bit. Hmmm.
Old 26 November 2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It almost looks like someone dripped oil onto the dial. I really don't see that type of damage very often. The one in the center isn't too bad, but I suspect that the drop close to the 9 o'clock marker might be large enough to bother me. IMO, any staining on the dial is a major flaw, and does affect the value significantly.

The hands don't bother me at all.
Old 26 November 2018, 07:04 AM   #5
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymod View Post
Thank you for the reply. Yeah. I don’t want to change the dial as the tritium patina is just too nice in person. On the wrist the spots are invisible for the most part (takes a close pic or loup like shown in order to see) and really looks great on the wrist but at the same time knowing the spots are there bothers a bit. Hmmm.
You could source a period correct dial that has the patina you're looking for that matches the hands.
Spoonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:07 AM   #6
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Hi Michael, that's not good at all especially when it's an unpleasant surprise on a purchase. As you know the dial is where most of the value of a watch is placed, it shouldn't affect the value much given they are little blemishes but focus is easily drawn to those glossy spots. In good time you will find a better piece.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:42 AM   #7
simplymod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It almost looks like someone dripped oil onto the dial. I really don't see that type of damage very often. The one in the center isn't too bad, but I suspect that the drop close to the 9 o'clock marker might be large enough to bother me. IMO, any staining on the dial is a major flaw, and does affect the value significantly.

The hands don't bother me at all.
I was thinking possibly oil drop as well at first but at 9 it goes exactly right up to the white edge with zero touching the white, so seems precisely placed. Unless possibly if it were an oil drop, maybe the white triangle edge stopped the oil from spreading further? Hmm..I guess touch up or oil drop, its still an issue of a spotted dial.
Old 26 November 2018, 07:45 AM   #8
simplymod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
Hi Michael, that's not good at all especially when it's an unpleasant surprise on a purchase. As you know the dial is where most of the value of a watch is placed, it shouldn't affect the value much given they are little blemishes but focus is easily drawn to those glossy spots. In good time you will find a better piece.
Thank you so much for the reply. As much as I hate to let it go, I am leaning towards sending it back. It just looks soooo good on the wrist

Tags
75090 , wwyd