The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 January 2020, 07:39 AM   #1
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

WG 1803 - my first DD and love it!

I just purchased this white gold 1803. It is from 1963 and has a beautiful and unique two-tone dial. The center is brushed silver, while the edge of the dial is a pearl white. I love the elegance and feel of this 36mm watch, which is awesome because the smaller size was my initial hesitation after owning only larger sport Rolex watches.

https://imgur.com/a/oQDTzAq
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 07:41 AM   #2
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the Imgur link, but I couldn't figure out how to download large images directly to my post.
Old 27 January 2020, 08:42 AM   #3
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyt09 View Post
Sorry for the Imgur link, but I couldn't figure out how to download large images directly to my post.
Beautiful classic. Congratulations. Enjoy it. I haven't seen a dial color like that; two tone. Don't be afraid to have the bracelet and case properly polished when you get it serviced. It'll look stunning.

Old 27 January 2020, 09:19 AM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the pick-up. I've never seen a dial like that before.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:05 PM   #5
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations - White and silver dials both look great on WG, and you’ve got both! I’ve never noticed that dial either, and the white is pearlescent?
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:17 PM   #6
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Very cool watch. Love the dial!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:22 PM   #7
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Wow. Thats a first for me. Congrats

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:28 PM   #8
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

The dial is very attractive and unique with the silver center and off-white around the periphery, but it is not pearlescent. It was described as pearl white, meaning off-white. Thanks for all the positive feedback.
Old 28 January 2020, 03:47 AM   #9
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Nice one!! Great dial!! Welcome to the club! Hard to describe the magic of 1803/9 with words, it has to be seen live. Here is a couple of pics of my watch:

L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 04:59 AM   #10
1watch
"TRF" Member

Nice pick up. If you have it serviced, I would not let anyone polish it. I would just do an ultrasonic cleaning of the head and bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 06:02 AM   #11
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Nice pics of a beautiful watch L.K. 1watch, I appreciate the non-polishing advice. I will heed that advice.

I was thinking of doing a service as the history is unknown, but it is running well and winds very nicely. Any thoughts?
Old 28 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #12
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice pics of a beautiful watch L.K. 1watch, I appreciate the non-polishing advice. I will heed that advice.

I was thinking of doing a service as the history is unknown, but it is running well and winds very nicely. Any thoughts?
Don't listen to people about not polishing it. Do your research and look at before and after photos. In the proper hands, it'll look stunning. Polished gold is beautiful especially with the brushed and mirrored finishes on the case and bracelet. I have had first hand experience with RolliWorks and they're thee best bang for the buck for case/bracelet work and movement service. I can't recommend them enough for vintage pieces. And they listen and will do exactly what you want.
Old 28 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #13
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Excellent! Nice job. I have a WG 1803 on the way as well ;)
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 06:34 AM   #14
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Don't listen to people about not polishing it. Do your research and look at before and after photos. In the proper hands, it'll look stunning. Polished gold is beautiful especially with the brushed and mirrored finishes on the case and bracelet. I have had first hand experience with RolliWorks and they're thee best bang for the buck for case/bracelet work and movement service. I can't recommend them enough for vintage pieces. And they listen and will do exactly what you want.

Polishing is a debate in its own right. My view is to leave a vintage piece in as close to its original state as possible if it’s functional and passes a pressure test. You can do what you want with it since it’s your watch. Just be informed if you decide on that service, the more it’s polished the more it starts to lose the original dimensions and contours. Those aspects are very important to most vintage collectors and do impact future value if you ever decide to sell or trade. The case and dial condition are the top drivers of collectible value in the current vintage collector world.

Old 28 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #15
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
Polishing is a debate in its own right. My view is to leave a vintage piece in as close to its original state as possible if it’s functional and passes a pressure test. You can do what you want with it since it’s your watch. Just be informed if you decide on that service, the more it’s polished the more it starts to lose the original dimensions and contours. Those aspects are very important to most vintage collectors and do impact future value if you ever decide to sell or trade. The case and dial condition are the top drivers of collectible value in the current vintage collector world.

I believe in leaving vintage tool watches unpolished. I believe in polishing dress watches especially gold. I love gold. It lustrous and having an all gold piece looking it’s gleaming best is beautiful in my opinion. You can properly polish a case maintaining original case lines. I don’t believe in machine polishing a fluted bezel. I have hand polished mine so as not to lose the sharp tips.

I buy my watches because I love them and wear them and not worry what a collector is or isn’t looking for. Just my $0.02.

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 28 January 2020, 07:12 AM   #16
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe in leaving vintage tool watches unpolished. I believe in polishing dress watches especially gold. I love gold. It lustrous and having an all gold piece looking it’s gleaming best is beautiful in my opinion. You can properly polish a case maintaining original case lines. I don’t believe in machine polishing a fluted bezel. I have hand polished mine so as not to lose the sharp tips.

I buy my watches because I love them and wear them and not worry what a collector is or isn’t looking for. Just my $0.02.

Sent from Crapatalk

It’s not a question of wear and enjoy, which I hope most do...I stated this is a debatable topic in its own right, shared my view and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’ve learned a lot about this topic from some very reputable sources and am sharing an opinion based on that knowledge, so the OP makes an informed decision. No matter how you polish, it removes content which does change the dimension and case geometry. I’m sure this one has already been polished in the past, so any additional polishing may result in an overpolished case that ultimately may bother the owner and can’t be undone without more intensive intervention, moving even further from the original state.

Old 28 January 2020, 07:41 AM   #17
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The dial is very attractive and unique with the silver center and off-white around the periphery, but it is not pearlescent. It was described as pearl white, meaning off-white. Thanks for all the positive feedback.
Thanks - That’s why I asked about the pearl, I’m curious about this stuff.

I couldn’t help noticing the description of it as your “first” DD - Great start, and here’s hoping it’s only a start!
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 07:49 AM   #18
corleone911
"TRF" Member

Beautiful! Congrats and enjoy it....
corleone911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 09:33 AM   #19
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Polished gold is beautiful especially with the brushed and mirrored finishes on the case and bracelet.
That's right. Here's mine.

The center of the links should have a high polish, while the outer portions are brushed. Love the white gold - it's a completely different feel from stainless steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78969547_112185990067641_7117212107752596028_n_002.jpg (166.0 KB, 266 views)
Old 28 January 2020, 09:52 AM   #20
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

The center of the links should have a high polish, while the outer portions are brushed. Love the white gold - it's a completely different feel from stainless steel.
Beautiful piece. I love the minute track.
Old 28 January 2020, 09:57 AM   #21
77T

The White Gold or the Platinum DD’s are most versatile. Can go casual under the radar and then dress when needed by just adding an Alligator strap.

Yours looks very nice with that pie pan bicolor dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 10:34 AM   #22
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
Thanks - That’s why I asked about the pearl, I’m curious about this stuff.

I couldn’t help noticing the description of it as your “first” DD - Great start, and here’s hoping it’s only a start!
MiamiClay, I am really intrigued by the DJ and DD. They are beautiful watches that are very comfortable and a perfect size, which surprised me. As many have said, I feel they can be dressed up or down with an easy strap/bracelet change.
Old 28 January 2020, 10:52 AM   #23
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

Looks great! Although not a DD here’s a quick snap of my Tudor I had polished and wear regularly. Case lines are razor crisp.

I don’t wish to detract from the original poster’s watch but just wanted to say and show that he can have his vintage piece properly polished looking great especially gold.

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 30 January 2020, 01:00 AM   #24
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Excellent! Nice job. I have a WG 1803 on the way as well ;)
RacerX, please post pics of your WG 1803. I haven't seen too many in WG and would love to see it. Best of luck and enjoy it. I love mine. As I said in my original post, I was uncertain about the 36mm size, but it feels so nice on the wrist, is very easy to read and can be dressed up or down. IMHO, these DD and DJ are beautiful vintage watches that are currently under-appreciated.
Old 30 January 2020, 01:26 AM   #25
Dr. Larry Tucker Sr.
"TRF" Member

I have two DJs. One 116200 all stainless with a white Roman dial and an Oyster bracelet and another, 16233 two-tone with a Silver Stick dial and a Jubilee bracelet. ILOVETHEMBOTH!
Dr. Larry Tucker Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #26
DaVinci Watches
"TRF" Member

Nice pick up!!
DaVinci Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #27
sunnyxuan106
"TRF" Member

Very nice one!
sunnyxuan106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:02 AM   #28
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
RacerX, please post pics of your WG 1803. I haven't seen too many in WG and would love to see it. Best of luck and enjoy it. I love mine. As I said in my original post, I was uncertain about the 36mm size, but it feels so nice on the wrist, is very easy to read and can be dressed up or down. IMHO, these DD and DJ are beautiful vintage watches that are currently under-appreciated.
Here you go. And I agree with the versatility. I love wearing my YG 1803 with jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers! The new rule: There are no rules. Wear what you like with whatever you like!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WG 1803 Original.jpg (229.1 KB, 154 views)
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:22 AM   #29
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
A proper picture thread! Those are great looking watches, hopefully others on this thread will be inspired to post theirs as well. I don't have one. I like the Jubilee bracelets but that is a very nice Gator band Racer X!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:11 PM   #30
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Wear what you like with whatever you like!