The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2017, 10:23 PM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
Interesting idea. For example, the 3135 is about twenty years old. By all accounts a tremendous calibre but does the new buyer care? All they see is that it's a twenty year old "technology" in their future watch. Rolex does a great job of finessing classic vs. new tech but eventually they have to push things forward. These things are expensive and buyers are much more savvy about what they're paying for than just how shiny is the metal and who climbed Everest and when. I'd welcome the calibre 3255 type of advances in more calibres/refs. It might make me more inclined to shop for a new watch.

A quick edit to respond to a couple posts just above. I really can't believe the Swiss could bungle demand estimates as badly as posts here would seem to indicate. I'd much rather believe they have something special in the works. If not, I can wait. Change has to happen.
The 3135 is rock solid and tried and true. The new movement is apparently slightly more efficient, tho really a much of a muchness now, and has better power reserve which really is not that much, and thus I thought a slight design change would be implemented along with it and so I think a single model will be updated rather than a whole range, maybe the LVc judging by prices and rumours.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 11:07 PM   #62
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Star Ferry is right.

We are letting our familiarity with ROLEX cloud the reality that is the average customer that visits an AD to purchase one..

Many of these buyers don't realize that the ROLEX they are ogling doesn't need a new battery every 3yrs.

They just don't have any idea of what they are looking at, except that ROLEX is the best and it's expensive and that having one will provide separation from the plebeians.
I agree with this, as i have seen examples of it on many occassions.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 11:42 PM   #63
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The 3135 is rock solid and tried and true. The new movement is apparently slightly more efficient, tho really a much of a muchness now, and has better power reserve which really is not that much, and thus I thought a slight design change would be implemented along with it and so I think a single model will be updated rather than a whole range, maybe the LVc judging by prices and rumours.

If they update the LVc with the new movement, the ones with the 3135 will go for more than the new ones in the used market. That’s just MO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 02:00 AM   #64
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
If that's the case, it's because marketing and salespeople taught them in-house is important. But if Rolex switched to modified stock movements, the marketing and sales apparatus (including blogs like Hodinkee) would "reeducate" everyone about the benefits of stock movements. Due to cognitive dissonance, even hardcore Rolex fans would start praising Rolex for the change

People buy Panerai and IWC with ETA movements... and Rolex has a much stronger brand, better bracelets, and better overall case finishing. It'd still be a desirable product.
Neither of my chhaffhausens have EMT movement, their case and finish is way superior to the rolex not to Mention the complications.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 02:21 AM   #65
semi-ambivalent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I agree with this, as i have seen examples of it on many occassions.
I think "90%" is a guess at best, and high at that. The market is full of great watches that "tell time" very well and if you're selling against that simple criterion you have to play every card, especially if all you're promising beyond that is a ticket out of being plebian. (Nice, btw. )

So the potential buyer goes to the Rolex website and checks out the DDs because, because they're the best. And they see this:
"The Day-Date 40 is equipped with a new-generation movement, calibre 3255, entirely developed and manufactured by Rolex for a superlative level of performance. This self-winding mechanical movement is at the forefront of the art of watchmaking. A consummate demonstration of Rolex technology, with 14 patents, it offers fundamental gains in terms of precision, power reserve, resistance to shocks and magnetism, ease of use and reliability."
So buyer visits an AD and asks how much the DD is. Whoa! How about this model, does it have the new movement? No. Do any others have it? No.

Just how long can Rolex hold that line? The past and current quality of their products is not in question here. This is marketing and it's very important, especially when your market sector is among the very fluffiest tip of lifestyle products. People here can make excuses for Rolex, fine, I can too, and do. But Rolex cannot. Certainly this is just wishful speculation on my part. I don't listen to AD rumors and I don't attend Rolex board meetings, so I am in the dark here. I can comfortably purchase any watch Rolex makes but I'm past the aspirational thing and still quite plebian, and I'm going to need to see something else before I buy again. If you're already at +- 2 s. a day other, very small things become very important.

Last edited by semi-ambivalent; 20 December 2017 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: Grammer
semi-ambivalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 03:07 AM   #66
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
If that's the case, it's because marketing and salespeople taught them in-house is important. But if Rolex switched to modified stock movements, the marketing and sales apparatus (including blogs like Hodinkee) would "reeducate" everyone about the benefits of stock movements. Due to cognitive dissonance, even hardcore Rolex fans would start praising Rolex for the change

People buy Panerai and IWC with ETA movements... and Rolex has a much stronger brand, better bracelets, and better overall case finishing. It'd still be a desirable product.
Agreed - the most valuable and sought afterRolex models don't have in house movements.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 03:26 AM   #67
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
If they update the LVc with the new movement, the ones with the 3135 will go for more than the new ones in the used market. That’s just MO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, very likely as per a simple demand/supply model, and if there is a slight design change too then that would ofc have the most significant impact on both sets of demand. But then Rolex are signalling nothing will change at Basel and all this recent hoopla has just been because Rolex could not manage to distribute supply more evenly thru the year. Will be interesting to see the truth revealed next March, one way or the other.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 05:01 AM   #68
Ss22525
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Check this out !!

https://youtu.be/v3N-NSVF0j8
Ss22525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 05:21 AM   #69
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss22525 View Post
Man glad I got into the game when I did. I would hate to be a first time buyer right now.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 06:17 AM   #70
yhzdude
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal13il View Post
I was in NYC last year for chanukah /Christmas, stopped at wempe and the rolex selection was impressive, I was looking at the Deepsea but my cousin ((very big man), wanted a IWC Big pilot 50, I didn't care for it but than saw the 48 and we both fell in love, Helmut and Sophie where able to locate two for us (extremely hard task for a numbered watch), so we bought both as a memory from our union in NYC:) a year later, I did get also the Deep Blue:), BTW, Sophie is gone, Helmut is not there.... Not the same:(

you married your cousin?
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 08:35 AM   #71
cchris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Was just wandering around my AD. They have some SS stock if you call. sub date ln, gmt ln. exp 2. Diamond Cellar in Easton Ohio. Harold takes care of me.

Sadly no 5711 , Daytona or blnr. Which is what I was looking for
cchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 08:39 AM   #72
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhzdude View Post
you married your cousin?
Not bad lol

seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 09:33 AM   #73
Yogi20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bi metal Sub Blue
Mmmmm I should have got that Hulk I tried on in NY 6 months ago, I had only had my Bluesy 6 months at the time and I'm a ordinary working guy so it was a bit much
Yogi20 is offline   Reply With Quote